Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564396 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave the latest Hartmann album a "fucking awful" rating , so I'll leave one in this thread too.  ;D

it may not be on many peoples radar but the C.T.P album (Christian Tolle Project) has been billed as some sort of all-star project as it features David Reece, Michael Voss, Steve Lukather, Doug Aldrich etc...

But as with many of these multi-guest projects it massively under delivers.  Don't bother.......

Would love to know how a guy who plays like I did after a couple of years of lessons pulls all these guests too :lol
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:59:39 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, have you had a listen to the Hardline or Eden's Curse yet?  From what I've heard, both seem pretty shithouse.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, have you had a listen to the Hardline or Eden's Curse yet?  From what I've heard, both seem pretty shithouse.

Will check out the Hardline tonight and let you know.

Haven't got the Eden's Curse but yeah................the two tracks I have heard were shite and (if memory serves) the video was even worse :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Hardline ...............I went in with an open mind as , even though the tracks I had heard were not encouraging , it has been getting strong reviews.   

It's like we are on a little remote island here where the same unimaginative tripe will not be tolerated but the rest of the world is prepared to give high marks to stuff that's been heard a million times before.

Unfortunately , despite this album being described as a "return to form" , I just don't get it.   My favourite track on the album is an 8/10 and , if I'm honest , it's what I would expect from a 2nd tier Sunstorm song.

There's the same old chug , chug in the heavier songs and the same arpeggiated clean chords when it's softer.    Josh Ramos does lift a number of the songs with a nice solo and Gioeli sounds good as usual but the songs are , almost without exception, throwaway stuff devoid of imagination.    That sappy ballad is one of the better songs for me , purely because it feels like they really tried (and failed :lol  )

70% from me and that's probably generous.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

The Hardline ...............I went in with an open mind as , even though the tracks I had heard were not encouraging , it has been getting strong reviews.   

It's like we are on a little remote island here where the same unimaginative tripe will not be tolerated but the rest of the world is prepared to give high marks to stuff that's been heard a million times before.

Unfortunately , despite this album being described as a "return to form" , I just don't get it.   My favourite track on the album is an 8/10 and , if I'm honest , it's what I would expect from a 2nd tier Sunstorm song.

There's the same old chug , chug in the heavier songs and the same arpeggiated clean chords when it's softer.    Josh Ramos does lift a number of the songs with a nice solo and Gioeli sounds good as usual but the songs are , almost without exception, throwaway stuff devoid of imagination.    That sappy ballad is one of the better songs for me , purely because it feels like they really tried (and failed :lol  )

70% from me and that's probably generous.

I've played the Hardline once and thought it was ok. Pretty much the same opinion as Brent but maybe I was more in the mood for it at the time than Brent, and I haven't been inflicting much frontiers shite on myself either. I liked it for what it was but haven't been back to it.
The new Kansas album pisses all over it.

Can't say I'm the slightest bit interested in the Edens Curse.. I've never really liked anything of theirs and I'd take this Hardline album over any of their albums. The two songs I have heard were shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty much what I was expecting with the Hradline, unfortunately.  Will certainly still give it a listen though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4416 on: November 01, 2016, 04:47:46 AM »
Just had a listen to the new Hardline and it's an absolute snoozefest.  Generic, uninspired, stale and as uninteresting as you can get.  The songs are just crap IMO.  Ramos tries to save it and Johnny of course sounds good but what is on offer here is awful IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4417 on: November 01, 2016, 04:56:34 AM »
Just had a listen to the new Hardline and it's an absolute snoozefest.  Generic, uninspired, stale and as uninteresting as you can get.  The songs are just crap IMO.  Ramos tries to save it and Johnny of course sounds good but what is on offer here is awful IMO.

Glad I'm not the only one - getting consistently strong reviews around the traps.  But then I seem to be like that with most new releases at the moment - and they're all getting rave reviews.

I dunno if I have become more picky or these reviewers just need something positive to talk about to generate traffic.  Possibly both.

O/T: seems you're also one of the few to share my views on the Testament .  Smart bloke you are :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:01:38 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4418 on: November 01, 2016, 05:19:07 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one - getting consistently strong reviews around the traps.  But then I seem to be like that with most new releases at the moment - and they're all getting rave reviews.

I dunno if I have become more picky or these reviewers just need something positive to talk about to generate traffic.  Possibly both.

O/T: seems you're also one of the few to share my views on the Testament .  Smart bloke you are :D

Forgot about your comments just above but yeah, pretty scary how similar our thoughts are.  I'd give it less than 70% myself I think, I have no reason to listen to it again.  The production wasn't that great either and don't know where the 'return to form' comment would stem from, that's just a load of bullshit.

Yeah, the Testament is just that, a Testament album, but I will say it is growing on me quite a bit, but some of the reviews are just way over the top.  Blabbermouth gave it a 9.5 and said it's an 'instant classic.'  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4419 on: November 01, 2016, 05:22:15 AM »
Every Hardline album is going to be a return to form in the vein of Double Eclipse.......................just like every new Bon Jovi album is going to rock  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4420 on: November 01, 2016, 05:26:32 AM »
Every Hardline album is going to be a return to form in the vein of Double Eclipse.......................just like every new Bon Jovi album is going to rock  ;D

Even Danger Zone is a masterpiece compared to this.  At least had some good songs.

Gonna save Eden's Curse for tomorrow night.  :\

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4421 on: November 01, 2016, 05:28:32 AM »
Good luck  :corn

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4422 on: November 01, 2016, 05:37:32 AM »
Thanks Brent, I think I'll need it. :mehlin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4423 on: November 03, 2016, 05:48:15 AM »
 :corn :corn :corn

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4424 on: November 03, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
:corn :corn :corn

He's nodded off by the looks of it. Can't say I'm surprised.  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4425 on: November 03, 2016, 08:09:59 AM »
Me neither :lol     if you wake up Kade the last track (Jericho) is quite good  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4426 on: November 03, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »
Talking of which, have you heard the new Bon Jovi yet? I haven't but the one review I've read says it's a snooze fest. Can't say I expect anything else.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4427 on: November 03, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
Talking of which, have you heard the new Bon Jovi yet? I haven't but the one review I've read says it's a snooze fest. Can't say I expect anything else.

I have tried to bring myself to listen to it , but so far I have not succeeded.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4428 on: November 03, 2016, 04:34:59 PM »
I have zero interest in a new Bon Jovi track

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4429 on: November 04, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
I have zero interest in a new Bon Jovi track
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4430 on: November 04, 2016, 05:33:52 AM »
Me neither :lol     if you wake up Kade the last track (Jericho) is quite good  :)

This Eden's Curse, I would actually call it shit.  Such a shame, I loved Symphony of Sin, it is such a good melodic hard rock album.  I'm up to like the fourth last track so will hold out until the end, but dear oh dear, what the fuck went wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4432 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:49 AM »
Meh, even Jericho was ordinary.  What a fucking disappointment.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #4433 on: November 05, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
Bon Jovi....yeah, they're he's easy not to rate. It won't help my standing here, but I have to admit, I like the new album.
You hear your 7xPower Avengers stuff and Tool and Korn derivates and I'm rocking out to Bon Jovi.

I loved the the first 5 albums. These Days was the turning point. Half good, half shit. Everything after bored me to tears with the exception of some few songs.

It's My Life made them stay relevant, but the devil took their souls in exchange. Think about it. How many of the multi-platinum hair bands did have a hit as big since ? Coincidence ? You judge.

My best friend plays in a Bon Jovi cover band and I always was like: "Oh man, if you do have to do covers, join a Dream Theater or Def Leppard cover band.", but I had to concede, they were doing their stuff really good and they won some local awards for best cover and newcomer band. He was working on his keyboard parts and I had to listen to Bon Jovi songs everytime I paid him a visit. I was almost never in the mood for it, but he wanted me to tell him if it stays true enough to the original. So believe me I couldn't bring myself to listen to the last 4 or 5 albums. I did try, but after 3 songs in, I wanted to kill myself to end the boredom.   

Anyway, I don't know why, but I'm really enjoying This House. Perhaps because of expectations that couldn't be any lower. Often band splits bring out good things, when someone has the feeling to have to prove something and Bon Jovi had to prove that they can make a good album without Sambora.
I think Born Again Tomorrow and We Don't Run are two fist-raising-inducing BJ tracks. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4434 on: November 07, 2016, 07:13:06 AM »
Well the new Mecca is a letdown.   I roll my eyes at most of the hype around new melodic rock albums these days , but I was inclined to believe it with this one given the people involved in the album and the glowing praise.

I'd be interested in others opinions.  For me it tries very hard to be deep and majestic but to me it's just competent and not much more.   Some nice singing and playing at times but the magical songs I was told to expect just aren't there IMHO.

I would still give it a score around 75-80% but that's nowhere near the AOTY classic I was anticipating.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4435 on: November 07, 2016, 07:18:51 AM »
Never heard of them, but I checked out a few songs I found on Youtube, and eh. It sounds fine and all, but it doesn't really jump out from the rest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4436 on: November 07, 2016, 07:19:24 AM »
Onto the new Roth/Brock album now which I expect to be typical Frontiers fare.   :-\

Every time I see that name I think of Vikings.....................Ragnar Rothbrock :lol

first track rocks a bit and already got more enjoyment from it than the Mecca , so that's something,.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4437 on: November 07, 2016, 07:23:57 AM »
Onto the new Roth/Brock album now which I expect to be typical Frontiers fare.   :-\

I grabbed that one the other day and have given it one listen so far. It's not bad, the production is a bit better than Frontiers average, but nothing jumped out. I doubt that will change on second listen. My favourite I remember from the new album is the one that sounds like my favourite from Terry Brock's solo album. :lol
Either there weren't quite as many ballads on the Roth/Brock one, or they were stacked towards the end. Can't remember which. Probably the latter.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4438 on: November 07, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
Pretty much as expected - a couple of tracks that rose to the top but the rest was very predictable.

I think there is now enough statistical significance in my Frontiers ratings that I can make an announcement - every future Frontiers release is hereby rated 75-80% .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4439 on: November 07, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
:lol You're being too generous if anything.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4440 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »
Pretty much as expected - a couple of tracks that rose to the top but the rest was very predictable.

I think there is now enough statistical significance in my Frontiers ratings that I can make an announcement - every future Frontiers release is hereby rated 75-80% .

The YouTube tracks I heard bored the shit out of me. I was hoping for something decent too, given the quality of the duo.

Not got anything by Mecca though I'm aware that they existed. Always got the impression they would be too polished for me. Too Journey. Too keyboardy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4441 on: November 07, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »
Not got anything by Mecca though I'm aware that they existed. Always got the impression they would be too polished for me. Too Journey. Too keyboardy.

Yeah, pretty standard modern melodic rock stuff.
But there's no such thing as too Journey! :getoffmylawn: This whole thread is about music that wishes it could be more Journey. :lol :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4442 on: November 08, 2016, 04:53:09 AM »
I haven't heard Mecca's first album but I have the second one and while it's a little light, I think there's some nice stuff on it. Nice atmosphere and some decent song writing.  I wasn't going to bother with the new one, but I will have a listen I think.

The Roth/Brock tunes I heard on youtube bored me also, which is a shame cause Roth is an excellent guitarist.  I might have a listen to it anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4443 on: November 08, 2016, 04:58:13 AM »
The Roth/Brock tunes I heard on youtube bored me also, which is a shame cause Roth is an excellent guitarist.  I might have a listen to it anyway.

The songs on Youtube are fairly representative, so if you don't like those, I doubt anything on the album will change your mind. I liked a couple of the songs I heard before the album came out, but probably nothing that will keep me coming back to it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4444 on: November 08, 2016, 05:01:06 AM »
I'll take a listen, I do like Brock's voice too.  Should have just called themselves Giant again and got Dan Huff to come in and write some songs for them.  That last Giant album with these two was alright.