Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 569974 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2730 on: November 24, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
Both Stryper and Twisted Sister did an excellent job of rerecording songs.

I remember listening to the rerecording done by Dokken a couple of years ago and it was a grind to get through.

Usually I'm not a fan of bands doing this, but Stryper did it right!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2731 on: November 24, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
The Dokken was okay, but nothing on the originals.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
There wouldn't be too many other than Sweet (among the real wailers from back in the day) who could even get close these days without downtuning to oblivion.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2733 on: November 24, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
I hear that Karlsson has just given Tolkki the ok to re-record the first few Allen/Lande disks to bring them up to date  ;D

DONT EVEN JOKE ABOUT THEPAT SHIT MAN!!!!!

Mood Swings II was pretty well done.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: November 24, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
Mood Swings 2 is worth it for the new tracks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2735 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:12 AM »
There wouldn't be too many other than Sweet (among the real wailers from back in the day) who could even get close these days without downtuning to oblivion.

Sweet hits some high notes on the latest track from the Sweet/Lynch. Very impressive.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »
I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but his vocals at the end of Marching Into Battle are just fucking incredible.

Never thought I'd ever enjoy a Christian album as much as I am this one.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2737 on: November 27, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »
There doesn't seem to be a Thunder thread, so maybe this is the place to mention that a new album is coming out:

https://www.melodicrock.com/articles/news-feed/2014/11/27/thunder-wonder-days-new-album-new-label-new-website-new-everything

I'm not that surprised, because they were always active more or less despite the official split, and I'm fairly excited 'cause I'm a big fan.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: November 27, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »
I can't say I'm a huge fan of Thunder (certainly like some of their stuff) but the new (live) title track sounds pretty good.......keeping tabs on this one. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2739 on: November 27, 2014, 01:20:36 PM »
First Thunder album was a classic but they didn't rise to those heights again for me. Most albums were fine but no magic dust in the songwriting.  Danny is a great singer though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »
My thoughts on the new Harem Scarem are a bit similar to the Ten album.    Since Big Bang Theory (which I thought was awful) HS have been mostly "dialling it in" as far as I'm concerned.  It was all solid stuff that would be great from anyone else but it was HS by the numbers.

This album has a lot more of those little things that I hear and appreciate........a bit more variety and depth to the songwriting and especially the guitar playing than they've had in a while.   I think it'll be a grower and likely their best since Believe.  Having said that .......like the Ten it is a touch mid paced and would've benefited from another rocking track or two.

I rate it 86%
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:27:40 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: November 27, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »
My thoughts on the new Harem Scarem are a bit similar to the Ten album.    Since Big Bang Theory (which I thought was awful) HS have been mostly "dialling it in" as far as I'm concerned.  It was all solid stuff that would be great from anyone else but it was HS by the numbers.

This album has a lot more of those little things that I hear and appreciate........a bit more variety and depth to the songwriting and especially the guitar playing than they've had in a while.   I think it'll be a grower and likely their best since Believe.  Having said that .......like the Ten it is a touch mid paced and would've benefited from another rocking track or two.

I rate it 86%

This actually sounds good to me.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2742 on: November 28, 2014, 12:13:10 AM »
First Thunder album was a classic but they didn't rise to those heights again for me. Most albums were fine but no magic dust in the songwriting.  Danny is a great singer though.

I thought the first was decent, the second one "Laughing on Judgement Day" is an absolute classic for me. Behind Closed Doors and The Magnificent Seventh are also great, the rest is a little inconsistent but always has many great songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2744 on: November 28, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »
Damn  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2745 on: November 28, 2014, 04:45:47 AM »
There doesn't seem to be a Thunder thread, so maybe this is the place to mention that a new album is coming out:

https://www.melodicrock.com/articles/news-feed/2014/11/27/thunder-wonder-days-new-album-new-label-new-website-new-everything

I'm not that surprised, because they were always active more or less despite the official split, and I'm fairly excited 'cause I'm a big fan.
Sweet! Thunder is a great live band. The two first albums are classics to me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2746 on: November 28, 2014, 04:50:21 AM »
Damn  :lol

I got excited cause I thought I had posted 99, and was slightly disappointed when I saw the 98.  :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: November 28, 2014, 05:20:35 AM »
Allen/Lande got 84 , so does that mean the Harem Scarem is awesome or just 15 points better than total shit ?  :biggrin:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2748 on: November 28, 2014, 05:31:21 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2749 on: November 28, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
Frontiers are probably MR.com's only surviving sponsor. That can be the only reason. for that score  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: November 28, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
You can tell by the review, that he isn't a fan, but doesn't want to bash the shit out of it like the rest of us, due his strong link with Frontiers.  I did expect a score around 90, so 84 is something I guess, for them, which is pretty sad.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2751 on: November 28, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
You can tell by the review, that he isn't a fan, but doesn't want to bash the shit out of it like the rest of us, due his strong link with Frontiers.  I did expect a score around 90, so 84 is something I guess, for them, which is pretty sad.

What's the lowest MR has ever given anything, off the top of your head?  That's the bottom scale, not 0.  So, if the worst was a 75, then their ratings are between 75-100.  Or, just deduct 75 from everything, and it's a 0-25 scale.  If so, then Allen/Lande got a 9.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2752 on: November 28, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »

What's the lowest MR has ever given anything, off the top of your head?  That's the bottom scale, not 0.  So, if the worst was a 75, then their ratings are between 75-100.  Or, just deduct 75 from everything, and it's a 0-25 scale.  If so, then Allen/Lande got a 9.

I think I have seen some stuff as low as the 40s, but can't remember off the top of my head what it was. I do remember once going through the past reviews trying to find the lowest ones.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2753 on: November 29, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »

I think I have seen some stuff as low as the 40s, but can't remember off the top of my head what it was. I do remember once going through the past reviews trying to find the lowest ones.

I seem to remember something getting 25% or something, but yeah, not much comes in at less than 75%

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: November 30, 2014, 03:46:41 AM »

I seem to remember something getting 25% or something, but yeah, not much comes in at less than 75%

I was about to post this exact number, I think it may have been Brett Michaels.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:27 AM »
Speaking of MR, I'm happy with the rating for the Vega album.  They are a terrific band and the album is stellar.

Also, I found a JB Hi Fi on the weekend which must have a Stryper fan who works there.  I think every album was on the shelves.  I picked up Second Coming and the new CD/DVD.  Haven't listened yet.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: December 03, 2014, 04:56:02 AM »
Can't remember which thread we've been posting Sweet/Lynch stuff but here's a new video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmolV-B7xE

This album is sounding wonderful.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: December 03, 2014, 04:58:27 AM »
New Eclipse in February.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: December 03, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
Kade, let me know what you think of Second Coming & Live at the Whiskey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2759 on: December 03, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »
Can't remember which thread we've been posting Sweet/Lynch stuff but here's a new video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmolV-B7xE

This album is sounding wonderful.

Could be the best thing George has done in 20 years.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: December 04, 2014, 04:44:10 AM »

Managed to have checked out a bit from both and Second Coming is definitely a different beast than No More Hell to Pay.  It definitely seems that NMHTP was a step in heavier direction for the band which is what threw me a little going into Second Coming.

The Jesus lyrics are a lot more promintent on this older stuff which I'm not too sure about and the songs are definitely less heavier and poppier than NMHTP but very cathy.  There is some crackers on here though like; Loud and Clear, Soldiers Under Command, To Hell With the Devil, Free and the UFO inspired More Than A Man.  I think this style was not what I expected, and if I can fully accept the lyrics I think I'll enjoy it a lot more.

Had a look at the DVD and they are a great live band, Sweet inparticular is a terrific and charasmatic frontman and performer.  Really liking watching them live.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2761 on: December 04, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

Managed to have checked out a bit from both and Second Coming is definitely a different beast than No More Hell to Pay.  It definitely seems that NMHTP was a step in heavier direction for the band which is what threw me a little going into Second Coming.

The Jesus lyrics are a lot more promintent on this older stuff which I'm not too sure about and the songs are definitely less heavier and poppier than NMHTP but very cathy.  There is some crackers on here though like; Loud and Clear, Soldiers Under Command, To Hell With the Devil, Free and the UFO inspired More Than A Man.  I think this style was not what I expected, and if I can fully accept the lyrics I think I'll enjoy it a lot more.

Had a look at the DVD and they are a great live band, Sweet inparticular is a terrific and charasmatic frontman and performer.  Really liking watching them live.

i'm as atheist as Richard Dawkins but the lyrics don't bother me - just like most shitty AOR lyrics in general.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: December 04, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

i'm as atheist as Richard Dawkins but the lyrics don't bother me - just like most shitty AOR lyrics in general.

mostly yeah, but some of the songs like Reach Out are a little blatant for my liking, but I'll live with it.  I just like the style of the lyrics on NMHTP a bit better.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: December 04, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
Wolf, I'm confident you'll really enjoy their covers album, The Covering

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2764 on: December 04, 2014, 06:03:32 PM »
Wolf, I'm confident you'll really enjoy their covers album, The Covering

I think so too.  The band definitely has the chops to pull the songs off.

is Second Coming a good representation of their entire catalog?