Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 569659 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1190 on: November 26, 2013, 01:40:51 AM »
Screw It was a couple of curse words away from being a Steel Panther album.

But, it's still a great glam album.

SP didn't have to look far for their "inspiration!  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1191 on: November 26, 2013, 02:31:20 AM »
Screw It was a couple of curse words away from being a Steel Panther album.

But, it's still a great glam album.

What do you mean "but"? That lyrical content is what makes a good glam album! :metal

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: November 26, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »
From melodicrock.com

A fourth Allen / Lande album is now being written for release in 2014 - but the mastermind behind the original trilogy of releases - Magnus Karlsson - has passed on the baton to Timo Tolki to write and produce the next album.

Confirmed.  :facepalm:  This is a travesty.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1193 on: November 26, 2013, 04:09:08 AM »
Yeah, I don't have high hopes for that album now. I honestly can't remember the last time Tolkki made something that I actually enjoyed, it's been a while.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:17 AM »
Yeah, I don't have high hopes for that album now. I honestly can't remember the last time Tolkki made something that I actually enjoyed, it's been a while.

I liked the first RR album, that was pretty damn solid, even if it was incredibly simple and generic.  The other two were pretty crap and Symfonia was a trainwreck, and not to mention Avalon which was probably the worst new release of 2013.  Also on melodicrock it says he is in the studio already doing the second Avalon album.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1195 on: November 26, 2013, 04:25:27 AM »
I liked the first RR album, that was pretty damn solid, even if it was incredibly simple and generic.  The other two were pretty crap and Symfonia was a trainwreck, and not to mention Avalon which was probably the worst new release of 2013.  Also on melodicrock it says he is in the studio already doing the second Avalon album.
I never warmed up to that first RR album, and I didn't even bother with either of the other two. I agree with you on Symphonia and Avalon though.

I'll most likely keep listening to whatever he puts out and give it a chance, I just don't have any real expectations anymore.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: November 26, 2013, 04:28:00 AM »
I never warmed up to that first RR album, and I didn't even bother with either of the other two. I agree with you on Symphonia and Avalon though.

I'll most likely keep listening to whatever he puts out and give it a chance, I just don't have any real expectations anymore.

That's pretty much what I think too.  I just don't see what he could possibly do for Allen/Lande 4.  I wonder if Magnus just passed on it cause he's busy with Primal Fear, or if Frontiers wanted Tolkki to do it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1197 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:49 AM »
Yeah, this is not good news for Allen/Lande.  I think we're all in the same boat... we'll give it a shot, but there's no optimism at all.  We know that Jorn's talent alone can't compensate for bad writing.  The opening RR trilogy isn't awful, but I'm not compelled to spin it on any regular basis.  Haven't even heard the last 2.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1198 on: November 26, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »
It's going to suck. Double bass drums at 1000mph constantly, simple riffs. Cheesy melodies. Not even these two mighty voices can save it from TT.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
So classic power metal then  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1200 on: November 26, 2013, 07:24:37 AM »
So classic power metal then  ;D

Yeah, if not done well. There's plenty of good power metal, and TT was responsible for some of it. Not recently though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: November 26, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
I'm not really familiar with Tolkki. Is he just a ham n egger? No matter what, I'm looking forward to the 4th release and with Allen/Lande together, I can't see it being a poor album no matter what.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: November 26, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
I'm not really familiar with Tolkki. Is he just a ham n egger? No matter what, I'm looking forward to the 4th release and with Allen/Lande together, I can't see it being a poor album no matter what.

On that, you are wrong.  TT was the primary writer in Stratovarious.  He hasn't written anything decent in quite some time.  His 'Avalon' rock opera this year was my disappointment of the year.  With vocalists like Allen, Elize Ryd, Rob Rock, Sharon den Adel, Simone Simons, and Kiske, you'd think it would be a sure-fire home run.

Nope, turd-of-the-year.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: November 26, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Yikes!!

Stratovarious was hit or miss for me

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1204 on: November 26, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
I'd say he was a ham n egg-er really. His good stuff with Starto was fairly standard stuff. Some diamonds among the rough certainly. Many better bands out there. He was helped by Kotipelto being a great singer. In fact I enjoy the Kotipelto albums as good as any Stratovarius albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
I'd say he was a ham n egg-er really. His good stuff with Starto was fairly standard stuff. Some diamonds among the rough certainly. Many better bands out there. He was helped by Kotipelto being a great singer. In fact I enjoy the Kotipelto albums as good as any Stratovarius albums.

I'm a huge Strato fan, but pretty much this.  The first two Kotipelto albums were amazing.

Stratovarius were great with Episode, Infinite, Visions, Destiny and Elements Pt1.  Even the old stuff like Twilight Time was pretty awesome.  The last two albums Tolkki did with Strato was the start of his song writing decline.  Strato always used a formula which worked and was definitely helped by excellent musicians, but nothing he has ever done would come close to the scope of songwriting that Karlsson does with these vocalists.  Karlsson has made Allen/Lande a more melodic rock even AOR project showing a nice different side of these two vocalists, and simply just writing amazing songs again and again. 

Listen to Allen on any song Karlsson has written for him and then listen to Allen on Avalon, it's night and day.  I really don't know what Frontiers are thinking handing this project over.  I don't see why Karlsson wouldn't want to do another album with them to be honest, and while the Showdown is the weakest out of the three, it's still better than anything Tolkki has put together since 2003.  It would be interesting to see what Rus and Jorn think about it too, and their reactions when they get sent the material from Tolkki.  I don't see why they wouldn't want to work with Karlsson again either after three albums.  I think this is going to be a disaster.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: November 27, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
Just got this and have had a listen through;

Pretty solid, but the songs on first listen sort of blended together.  It sounds quite different to previous efforts too.  I wish they re-recorded a version of Time To Breathe with this new bloke and put it on there.  Has potential with more listens too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1207 on: November 27, 2013, 05:43:53 AM »
Just got this and have had a listen through;

Pretty solid, but the songs on first listen sort of blended together.  It sounds quite different to previous efforts too.  I wish they re-recorded a version of Time To Breathe with this new bloke and put it on there.  Has potential with more listens too.

Yeah, I enjoyed it while I was listening but not very memorable after.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: November 27, 2013, 06:02:24 AM »

Ditto - the new guy can sing but (whatever you think of the old guy) they're missing the disctinctive snarling vocal of the old stuff IMO.   This just blends in with everyone else I find and is also a few tracks too long.

Solid album but I agree it's not something you rush back to for repeat listens
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: November 27, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »
Great jugs on the album cover

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: November 27, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »

I thought that too, so decided to spin it again today.  It's leaving a very nice impression on me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: November 27, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »
I'm gonna give it quite a few spins, I think it has potential.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: November 28, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »
If you have a spare 10-15k to throw around then there's some very nice Europe guitars for sale celebrating their 30th ann here:

https://www.stadsauktion.se/auktion/sok/?u=0&sok=europe

Some bad news for me - looks like I might have to miss Paul Laine gig (the only one in sight I really want to see) due to a parent going into hospital that day.......minor procedure but still...................who knows, maybe I can still swing it  :\   ;D   

And in a totally underwhelming development I have bought a couple of Bon Jovi tix (slashed from $150+ to $35........which is about the max I'd pay.) - gives me something to do on a Sunday.    I saw them on the New Jersey tour (my first gig) when they meant something to me but these days  :P  I really couldn't care less.   Anyway - the missus (target audience) likes them so what the hell.  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1213 on: November 28, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »
New Jersey is a great album. I also saw them many times in the 80's including their first tour in 1984 opening for Scorpions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1214 on: November 28, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
New Jersey is a great album. I also saw them many times in the 80's including their first tour in 1984 opening for Scorpions.

First 4 BJ albums are great (though 7800f's production is shite). New Jersey made my top 50. Wild horses and free tickets couldn't get me to a Jon Bon Jovi show these days (geddit?  :biggrin:). Soulless, Countrified, Coldplay-field old man's music. I used to rate Richie, his first solo album was classic, but his next two are total crap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: November 28, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
I never liked any Bon Jovi at all.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: November 28, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

First 4 BJ albums are great (though 7800f's production is shite). New Jersey made my top 50. Wild horses and free tickets couldn't get me to a Jon Bon Jovi show these days (geddit?  :biggrin:). Soulless, Countrified, Coldplay-field old man's music. I used to rate Richie, his first solo album was classic, but his next two are total crap.

You don't even get Richie at the moment - I actually think going along is really going to irritate me but , truth be told , it's with the other half in mind.    I like the first 4 too and perhaps Dry County off the next and I think maybe one track from the rest of their career I find listenable ;D  (Last Man STanding - it has something resembling a riff ).   if I was of your vintage wolfking - quite  a bit younger - I doubt I'd like em at all either.  You had to be there  :\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1217 on: November 28, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »

You don't even get Richie at the moment - I actually think going along is really going to irritate me but , truth be told , it's with the other half in mind.    I like the first 4 too and perhaps Dry County off the next and I think maybe one track from the rest of their career I find listenable ;D  (Last Man STanding - it has something resembling a riff ).   if I was of your vintage wolfking - quite  a bit younger - I doubt I'd like em at all either.  You had to be there  :\

Dry County could be the best song they ever wrote. I actually like the Have A Nice day album but that was rare after the big 4. The rot started with Keep The faith. I first saw them supporting KISS in 84 (I think) and saw them several times up to the early 90s.
Yeah I realise  Richie isn't there- it is just the JBJ show now. As soon as a rock band needs half a dozen extra musicians on stage (and off) it's game over.
We all have to do these things for our other halves. I've had to go and see Pink, Beverley Knight, Steve Harley... so even JBJ is better than that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: November 28, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
Correct  ;D  Pink is  bigger than anyone out here.  She can sell out dozens of stadium shows on a tour and to be fair (chalk this one up for any modern pop artist) she does have some vocal chops.  She'd do so much better for herself if she put them to good use singing melodic metal   :metal   ;D

Now I come to think of it when I saw Jovi in '89 they were supported by Roxus - good gig.

I don't know if I'm being fair to him but after seeing an on the road doco about Bon Jovi I couldn't stand the guy either - up himself would be an understatement.   Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference whether the artist is a dickhead to your enjoyment of the performance but with him it just might make it even more annoying - a bit like going to see a Tom Cruise/Mel Gibson movie these days .......I can't help but feel it's not the same  :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:39:51 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: November 29, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
Who the hell is playing guitar for him now anyway, someone we know?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: November 29, 2013, 06:01:46 AM »

Phil X I think  - session guitarist and the go-to man whenever they've needed to replace Sambora.  He also played on Edge of Excess when Rik Emmett was out of Triumph.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:51:33 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: November 29, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »

Phil X I think  - session guitarist and the go-to man whenever they've needed to replace Sambora.  He also played on Edge of Excess when Rik Emmett was out of Triumph.

Which is a pretty decent album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1222 on: November 29, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Correct  ;D  Pink is  bigger than anyone out here.  She can sell out dozens of stadium shows on a tour and to be fair (chalk this one up for any modern pop artist) she does have some vocal chops.  She'd do so much better for herself if she put them to good use singing melodic metal   :metal   ;D

Now I come to think of it when I saw Jovi in '89 they were supported by Roxus - good gig.

I don't know if I'm being fair to him but after seeing an on the road doco about Bon Jovi I couldn't stand the guy either - up himself would be an understatement.   Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference whether the artist is a dickhead to your enjoyment of the performance but with him it just might make it even more annoying - a bit like going to see a Tom Cruise/Mel Gibson movie these days .......I can't help but feel it's not the same  :D

I dunno about that, from what I've seen, donating time and money to various charities and more recent giving away a fan at a wedding, he seems okay to me.
For $35 I might go along to see him, even without the real  'unknown' star Richie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: November 29, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »
“A Life To Die For” officially came out throughout entire Europe today. Don´t forget – the amount of digipack versions (CD + DVD) is limited, so hurry up!

To mark the release day we decided to entertain you a little with a lyric video for the radio version of the title track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KICGmPzmI

Me likey.  Everything you'd expect from Royal Hunt with DC on the vocals.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1224 on: November 29, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
“A Life To Die For” officially came out throughout entire Europe today. Don´t forget – the amount of digipack versions (CD + DVD) is limited, so hurry up!

To mark the release day we decided to entertain you a little with a lyric video for the radio version of the title track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KICGmPzmI

Me likey.  Everything you'd expect from Royal Hunt with DC on the vocals.

Listening to the album now on Spotify and it's very good. I don't love the vocals. I really miss John West. DC isn't bad, just lacks the power of JW.