Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564377 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1155 on: November 21, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »
Onto another heavy classic

Reign of Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJuVyJDvMc

Wish I could link to Tainted Past but ain't on YT.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Armored Saint is fantastic; one of the most underrated bands ever

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: November 21, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
Armored Saint is fantastic; one of the most underrated bands ever

Agreed - and a great shame that the album above was their last of that era.  Went out on a high for sure.

Well now I'm in the mood for some "snarly" vocals - first couple that come to mind............

Ratt - Detonator

Some Ratt diehards say this isn't a real Ratt album due to the very limited contribution from Robin Crosby but I say bollocks  ;D  A ripper of an album that benefitted from a bigger production and  a bit of Desmond Child magic.   Drop one or two fillers and replace with Nobody Rides For Free (link below) which was held over for the Point Break soundtrack and it'd be rated even higher.  As it is I'd rate it 90% - drop a couple and add in NRFF then 95%.  A bit like Journey Frontiers.

Nobody Rides For Free  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6ZyWH60bs

Shame, Shame,Shame   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71nuNTpU87E

Wildside- Under The Influence

Another sleazy rock classic - even just for the cover  :tup    Very much a cut above the average in terms of songs and playing in this sort of music.  92/100.

So Far Away  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lf_1nVBKo0

The Clock Strikes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU0hJbkrrO4

if memory serves correct the follow up (attempt to get with the times) was diabolical in comparison.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: November 21, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
you may want to dig out some feelgood music as the Ashes have started (in predictabnle fashion!)  :biggrin:

so you predicted Australia 295 and England 8/91??      ;D      What feelgood music do you recommend ?

seriously though what normally happens here is a 150 run 9th wicket partnership :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:38:19 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1159 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
you may want to dig out some feelgood music as the Ashes have started (in predictabnle fashion!)  :biggrin:

so you predicted Australia 295 and England 8/91??      ;D      What feelgood music do you recommend ?

seriously though what normally happens here is a 150 run 9th wicket partnership :(

Yeah it was rather predictable. Our batting line up is brittle at best and they let the bowlers down time and again. And there's no-one coming through either. They all look good in county cricket with one man and his dog watching bbut put them in front of a crowd and they bottle it.
Any chance of rain down there?  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: November 22, 2013, 02:52:55 AM »
Good second day for us.  Hopefully Warner and Rogers can get some momentum early tomorrow and leave you poms in the dust.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1161 on: November 22, 2013, 04:16:47 AM »
Good second day for us.  Hopefully Warner and Rogers can get some momentum early tomorrow and leave you poms in the dust.

You are due a test win against us. When was the last one?  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: November 22, 2013, 04:26:32 AM »
Quiet you.  :P

This is a terrific live cd;

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1163 on: November 22, 2013, 06:54:37 AM »
Quiet you.  :P

This is a terrific live cd;

|I think I have the dvd- its hard to know, they released so many- strangely though, the best of the lot still sits in the vault. On The Wings Of Heaven Live. That was a great video.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
I think the Birmingham one is tough to get now and I think the DVD had only about 10 songs on it.  I've watched most of that Wings of Heaven live show, it's incredible.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1165 on: November 22, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
I think the Birmingham one is tough to get now and I think the DVD had only about 10 songs on it.  I've watched most of that Wings of Heaven live show, it's incredible.

Saw them twice on that tour. They were incredible- even with Bob's camp hand gestures  :biggrin:

It's probably between Magnum and Gary Moore for who I've seen live most. Oh and FM as they seemed to be the support band for everyone back in the 80s.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: November 23, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Magnum is a band I never really appreciated until recently - I've never got the fuss at all about their more recent stuff  but after a long time of not bothering with them I have finally worked my way back and come around to albums like OASTN.  Actually most of my music purchases now are more about finding missed classics than buying new releases which , for the most part, all sound the same to me - in the melodic rock area at least.   At a guess I would say my most listened to album featuring Bob Catley would actually be The Tower (his solo album with Gary Hughes) which I rate quite highly.

I envy you seeing Gary Moore so often - I never got the chance.  Don't think he ever toured Australia??......  my most seen band by a mile would be KISS purely because they tour Australia very frequently (including their Farewell Tour about 15 years ago  ;D )

I mentioned Wildside as an example of a band who (like most who tried ) failed in their attempt to modernise their sound to cope with the impact of grunge.   One of the very few who succeeded and IMO produced their best album in the process was Liilian Axe with this one..........

I think I can remember chatting to you about that one many years back Lowdz - I think it's a bit of an unknown classic
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:27:52 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: November 24, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »
Where are you from?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: November 24, 2013, 02:17:18 AM »
Hopefully you don't mean "what planet?"  ;D

I'm in melbourne.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: November 24, 2013, 02:28:14 AM »
No, I only asked cause I'm form Brisbane.

Anyway, a good result for us in the ashes.  The storms we had up here today were pretty crazy but luckily allowed us to finish the day with a victory.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: November 24, 2013, 02:31:44 AM »
yeah - I haven't seen the last couple of wickets but was watching when the hail hit etc.....

Good to see we weren't robbed by the weather as in the last series .   Our batting still looks fragile but the bowlers have surprised me , esp Johnson.   Hopefully he holds it together.  I thought we were in trouble without Pattinson, Cummins, Bird and with Harris liable to keel over at any second.  Fingers crossed  :tup

I hear Clarke and Anderson almost had to be restrained near the end  - not sure what that's all about.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:56:30 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1171 on: November 24, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »
Yeah, our batters were completely outplayed. Even when we were no 1 in the world the batters were the worry. It comes down to bottle at Test level and too many of them don't have it. And Peterson is a tool. A talented one but still a tool. Doesn't care what the match situation is.
Anyway, Johnson is a confidence player. He was going all round the park til he got Trott in the over before lunch. If we can give him a bit of a pasting in the next one he'll be dropped again soon enough. Admittedly that is a bloody big if at this point.

Anyway, bacvk on topic, that Lillian Axe is very good but I prefer the three before it, especially Love & War and Poetic Justice. Haven't enjoyed a single thing they've done since Psychoschizophrenia though. I always though Stevie Blaze was a very underrated lead player.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: November 24, 2013, 03:40:11 AM »
fair enough - ditto re nothing since that album.   I agree on Stevie Blaze and it's also no coincidence that nothing's clicked without Ron Taylor either.......top singer.  I also enjoy Poetic Justice and Love and War (especially the cover - I have the t-shirt too  :hefdaddy  LOL) but felt that the songwriting went up a notch on Psycho.........and it has a dark mood that is quite awesome .

There was a bonus track on Psycho Jap version (also released on EP) called Here Is Christmas or something that is one of the best Xmas songs by a rock band too - not sure why that came to mind but there you go  ;D

Here it is......  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8NJ93eNHk
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 03:48:40 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1173 on: November 24, 2013, 03:49:39 AM »
fair enough - ditto re nothing since that album.   I agree on Stevie Blaze and it's also no coincidence that nothing's clicked without Ron Taylor either.......top singer.  I also enjoy Poetic Justice and Love and War (especially the cover - I have the t-shirt too  :hefdaddy  LOL) but felt that the songwriting went up a notch on Psycho.........and it has a dark mood that is quite awesome .

There was a bonus track on Psycho Jap version (also released on EP) called Here Is Christmas or something that is one of the best Xmas songs by a rock band too - not sure why that came to mind but there you go  ;D

Here it is......  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8NJ93eNHk
I have that on a cd single. Written by Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart I believe. Nearly time to break out the xmas albums, lol.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1174 on: November 24, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
Well Firefest have outdone themselves this time. Danger Danger (not for the first time) but with Andy Timmons on guitar. Oh my God yes!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: November 24, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
Bloody hell  :hefdaddy  - what we'd give out here for even one gig half as good.  :censored    I presume you've seen that pro shot vid of the Japan Screw It footage?   Awesome band in their prime and Andy smokin it.

BTW I just stumbled onto Ron Taylor's new band Lowside.  A bit average IMO but still love that voice.

https://www.lowside.net/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:35:23 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1176 on: November 24, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
Holy crow there's some nice looking acts for MRF!!  along with DD and CM that you mentioned in the other thread, Pretty Maids, Heat, Ten, Firehouse, Rage of Angels (wonder how many of the guest vocalists will be there), and (OMG), "Unsigned Band Here"!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: November 24, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
Wow, I never would have thought that Timmons would go back to Danger Danger, hopefully it turns into an album.  I did like Marcello though, he worked really well with the band on Revolve.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: November 24, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
I can't think of too many melodic rock bands that have produced such a great album so late in their career as D2 did with Revolve - especially in a genre that is so out of vogue.  Bruno Ravel is a bit of a melrock genius.

I've just seen that Firefest lineup and there's a whole heap of bands I'd love to see.  Tower City would be interesting too.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: November 24, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »
Revolve is actually my fav album from them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: November 24, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »

I wouldn't argue that it's not their best-  most of their other albums have a lot more filler than Revolve and it has it's fair share of top notch songs..............so on that basis I'd probably agree.  Cockroach might be up there but it's that long since I listened to it I can hardly remember.

I think they wasted an opportunity with Screw It -  they were obviously at the top of their game with Timmons but chose to fill the album with a whole load of fairly childish stuff at the expense of the songs I feel they were capable of.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:07:02 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1181 on: November 24, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »

I wouldn't argue that it's not their best-  most of their other albums have a lot more filler than Revolve and it has it's fair share of top notch songs..............so on that basis I'd probably agree.  Cockroach might be up there but it's that long since I listened to it I can hardly remember.

I think they wasted an opportunity with Screw It -  they were obviously at the top of their game with Timmons but chose to fill the album with a whole load of fairly childish stuff at the expense of the songs I feel they were capable of.

That's my favourite album of theirs by far.

Revolve was the first album I got from them, didn't bother checking out any other albums, and even deleted it. Too weak and tame.
Then I heard Screw It, and loved a lot of the songs, then realized it was the same band I'd passed over a couple of years ago. :facepalm:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: November 24, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »
 ;D   A couple of my favourite songs of theirs are on Screw It and like I said - the band are on fire - but for me if I had to rate the albums I'd likely rate Revolve higher purely because (to me at least) Screw It has so much filler.   That live show I mentioned from that tour is D2 at their peak

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Yeah, for me, I never really got into Screw It at all.  I thought it was a big letdown after the debut.  Saying that, I should get the cd out again.

Cockroach is a pretty good one too.  I got the version with both Paul Laine's and Ted Poley's version, that's cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: November 25, 2013, 03:52:01 AM »

Just got this in the mail tonight and just gave it a run through.  This needs quite a few listens but it's really really nice.  Great production and the songs are great.  I could do without Down but it's okay.  Billy sounds good and Slamer once again nails the guitars.  The Only One, Time and Time Again, I See You There are the ones that pricked my ears straight away.  Just a great crisp sound, wonderful.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: November 25, 2013, 04:37:03 AM »
I've had it for a while - in a nutshell...........tracks 1-7 (all bloody great), 9&11 (v.good), 8 (Down) and 10 ......average.

On the whole - another great album as expected.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1186 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

Screw It is my favourite from them- the guitars were more of a focus. I certainly had no problem with the lyrics as they were fairly typical at the time. I don't want  hair bands preaching at me or giving it the social commnetary, that's not what they're about. And it was party time.

The 1st was too bland for me. Revolve was excellent. cockroach was great (both versions) but they tried the grunge-y route and failed and a few dodgy albums in the middle.
I saw them on the Screw It tour with Timmons supporting Alice cooper (I think or was it KISS?). Marcello was great too but not a patch on Timmons.

I've missed the last few Firefests due to the bands being the same old same old, (and me getting too old!!!) but this lineup excites me.
Babylon AD, CM, Heat, Firehouse doing the first album, Ten, The Poodles, Shy, Pretty Maids,Coney Hatch, Brother Firetribe, friday night has a acoustic show afterwards with The Magnificent. I just have to work out how I'll get to do 3 nights away from the family...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
I know what you mean about party time etc........many of my favourite songs from that era have ridiculous lyrics.......even some about breaking skool roolz  ;D  To me though that album took the focus on innuendo to a level that detracted from the songs.......not because I'm a prude but because they frustrated me by filling up a lot of space with nothing when Timmons was in his prime .........and all my favourite songs from that album seem to be the slightly more sensible ones   ;D  (beat the Bullet, Crazy Nites, Don't Blame It On Love)

Don't get me wrong..........it's one of my fave albums from that era/style - I just think it had a few meaningless fillers on it that could easily have been better without being Shakespeare.  I still rate it mid-high 80's and above most of their catalogue and I love the performances on it and the tour following.

I wish Andy had played on more of this style around that time - it's a shame we really only got this one and Cockroach and some fill ins here and there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1188 on: November 25, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »
Screw It was a couple of curse words away from being a Steel Panther album.

But, it's still a great glam album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: November 25, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »
I'm definitely gonna give it another spin I think.  Maybe I've been missing something.