Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564472 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1120 on: November 20, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
Never heard his instrumental stuff but I have The Scream album he did with John Carobi which is pretty good.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1121 on: November 20, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »
I notice a number here are fans of Hardline/Gioeli...............and of course Double Eclipse.   Well my favourite track off that album is a bonus track that isn't on the general release.

When Love Leads The Way  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5Tbg4QBUw

Huge Hardline/Gioelli fan here... Ever since it was released back in '93 (it was #12 on my Top 50).  Thankfully I already did have that bonus track!

But keep those rare/hidden gems coming
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1122 on: November 20, 2013, 05:35:02 AM »
I'm going to venture into the attic later, see what I can find in the vaults...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »

Okay............I picked this first CD through association with one of our fave guitar players.  Most of my listening of late has been on the heavy side , but this is a bit of a 180 degree turn back to AOR/Westcoast/CCM which I think you guys might appreciate.  Thought I might shock you with something wimpy to start  ;D

There's been a bit of (very well deserved) love for Dan Huff in this thread - one of my favourite guitarists ever.   Well and truly capable of shredding but always manages to strike the right balance for the song and leave you wanting more.  He also developed the annoying habit on the Giant albums of going ballistic just as things were fading out  :facepalm:   If you listen carefully you can hear him do the same on the first track I linked here too  >:(

So - as you do I usually try and track down side projects of my favourite artists.   This release from 1991 is one of those rare high priced CDs that is probably worth the price if you can find it. This is the s/t solo album by (Peter) Beckett ....ex-Player and had a little time with LRB.    It has a number of good players on it - Wayne Nelson from LRB, Chris frazier + one cameo from Michael Thompson etc...  and also features a couple of covers of songs like Brother Louie and Another Day Goes By , which Aussies would recognise as a Rick Price radio hit.

Dann Huff appears on 4 tracks and , although not as rocking as on Giant , you can't miss that tone and tasteful playing.   The whole album is strong and I'd rate it 94%.  And unlike some people when I rate something 90% it's not just par for the course.

Here's two of the Huff tracks:

I Told You So (heaviest on the album) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ksrLzgvSE

Hanging By A Thread  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThbeqpnWK94

Cheers

Brent

PS  My first choice when people ask me for obscure rock CDs is often Red Dawn but Lowdz already beat me to that. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:08:03 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: November 20, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
That Rick Price song always annoyed the shit out of me for some reason.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
Not a huge fan myself either to be honest and that'd be a lower rated song on the Beckett album too. 

Aside from it being a very solid album , the Dann Huff factor makes this an essential CD for me.   It's criminal the lack of music where Dann is front and centre and this is about as good as it gets outside of the 3 Giant albums (with the 3rd Giant being more a leftovers job)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: November 20, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

But keep those rare/hidden gems coming

Apologies if I double up on stuff already mentioned.......being a noob and all

The Hardline track got me thinking about perhaps another album where the bonus track/s were my favourite.  Well in this case the bonus tracks are the ONLY tracks I listen to with any regularity.

There's plenty of love for Jorn here I see and I like him when he's singing some good songs (not often  ;D  ) -  being a fan of Jorn's voice and of Helloween around Keeper to Master of The Rings (although Chameleon was a dog) this band should be a fave of mine but aside from a couple of tracks on Aeronautics (mostly back For My Life) they've never done much for me.   The only other tracks of theirs I'd choose to play now and then are the two bonus tracks from the debut album which I don't see mentioned often.  They're a bit more melodic rock and quite different to the album songs.

The Kid Rocks On  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJR8CVByf0

Through Thick and Thin   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjqHJ1Yo6ZY

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
Masterplan's bonus tracks never really did it for me.  Roland was always wise with what to put on the album and leave off.  For bonus tracks they are fine but nothing memorable.  I'd say the newest album had the strongest bonus tracks.  The ones on MK2 were okay.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
Masterplan's bonus tracks never really did it for me.  Roland was always wise with what to put on the album and leave off.

The album was well received and so I guess you're right - for me (and anyone who has similar taste) the album did nothing for me but the bonus tracks were half decent.  The bonus tracks are very different so perhaps they were considering a more melodic path at some point.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: November 20, 2013, 07:11:12 PM »
This and Aeronautics are two of the finest melodic power metal albums ever IMO.  Both are just perfect.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
This and Aeronautics are two of the finest melodic power metal albums ever IMO.  Both are just perfect.

Dude, you're such a compliment slut.  You'll say anything is the 'best ever'.  :lol  Personally, I like all of Masterplan, even MK2.  But you are right, s/t and Aeronautics are their two best. 

As for Jorn on the whole, I love his voice, but he really needs to make sure he's got a good writer.  1/2 of the stuff under his own name is tripe.  When he's got a strong writer (Karlsson, Tobi), he's absolute gold.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: November 20, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »
I suppose that's the beauty of music - we all have our own definitions of what's heavy, what's melodic etc........   like with my taste in prog metal I have a lot of power metal bands that are amongst my faves but there's a very narrow spectrum that really does it for me.    I don't know what Savatage have in common with most "power metal" bands but they seem to be put in that genre according to most  - I love almost everything they did and especially from Hall of The Mountain King through to Handful of Rain.  These days power metal seems to mean full speed ahead at all costs which doesn't appeal to me.   

Stratovarius is another favourite but mostly only the slower (IMO more powerful) stuff -  so my favourite tracks would be stuff like Uncertainty, Eternity, Kiss of Judas, We Hold The Key, Twilight Symphony.   My liking for Back For My Life  makes sense in that context.  I like where Stratovarius is going too - I liked pretty much everything on Nemesis (they've hit a good balance between speed and melody IMO) whereas a lot of the faster tracks on the earlier releases did little for me.

I tracked down your Top 50 wolfking and having a look now.  It's pretty clear our tastes differ quite a bit but there's certainly some cross over (Gutter Ballet is an all time fave of mine). .............I'll raise something that appeals to you at some stage I promise  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:46:46 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: November 20, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »

Dude, you're such a compliment slut.  You'll say anything is the 'best ever'.  :lol  Personally, I like all of Masterplan, even MK2.  But you are right, s/t and Aeronautics are their two best. 

As for Jorn on the whole, I love his voice, but he really needs to make sure he's got a good writer.  1/2 of the stuff under his own name is tripe.  When he's got a strong writer (Karlsson, Tobi), he's absolute gold.

I never denied that I am a music whore. ;D  MK2 was indeed great.  The latest was exceptional but Time To Be King is absolute shit.

I tend to agree with what you said about Jorn's solo work.  The early stuff is great, but the last few haven't kept my interest.  And the Dio rip offs on the latest one was embarrasing.

I tracked down your Top 50 wolfking and having a look now.  It's pretty clear our tastes differ quite a bit but there's certainly some cross over (Gutter Ballet is an all time fave of mine). .............I'll raise something that appeals to you at some stage I promise  ;D

You just did, Masterplan.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »
 ;D  Having a quick look at lowdz top 50 now too.  starting at the top with I&W and Operation Mindcrime................I wholeheartedly agree.  I think I would struggle to split those and the debut Van Halen.

I'll try and do one of my own one of these days .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: November 20, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Seeing as the AOR of Beckett went down such a treat I think I might up the pace a bit  :D

D C Cooper: s/t

This is another album I rarely see mentioned but IMO it's the best album DC Cooper has appeared on.   It might just be in the running for a top 50 list for me and really was a bit of a supergroup of our genre.  I just wish it had been more than a one off project.   How does this sound? -  DC Cooper backed by PC 69 (with Dennis Ward producing) and add in Gunter Werno from Vanden Plas on keys and Tore Ostby from Conception/Ark as second guitar   :metal

There's very little filler on this and a wide range of pace - everything from ballads to straight ahead rockers (incl a cover of Easy livin') , melodic metal and an epic prog rocker called The Union to end the CD.    Unfortunately I cannot link to that track.    The production is very dreamy/atmospheric and I really rate this CD.  Score: 90/100

It's hard to pick just one or two tracks to illustrate the album but here's a couple at random

Dream : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8cAA9nnRo

The Angel Comes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmhFk3yyzE

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:30:15 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: November 20, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »
Don't know his solo stuff, but if it's better than anything he did with Royal Hunt, the four Silent Force albums, or Amaran's Plight, then it must be pretty fuckin good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: November 20, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
Obviously it'll depend on your taste etc..... and Message To God was on a loop on my stereo as a kid....... but as a whole album I think this is as good as he's done.  More melodic rock than metal though.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: November 21, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »
The more I think about it the more I think I'd have a bitch of a time weeding out a top 50 , let alone putting them in order  :blush

Anyway................speaking of one off side projects that should've lasted and/or got better recognition..........any love for this one??  I can't think of too many rock albums with a better twin guitar attack and I rate this as high as anything from Dokken the band.  Another supergroup that brought it all together with great songs and performances.  I wish Billy White had done more in this vein too - awesome player.

I'd rate this 97% and this sort of stuff is why I have a hard time rating most of the Frontiers style stuff much above 80's because , even though I like a lot of it , most of it isn't in the same league as albums like this from the 90's in terms of songwriting, production etc...

Mirror Mirror https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDM-7xUkjuo
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:42:46 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1138 on: November 21, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »

I'd agree. Love the latest album too. you may want to dig out some feelgood music as the Ashes have started (in predictabnle fashion!)  :biggrin:

And I'd agree with Chad that Jorn is better when better writers write for him. His own stuff can be great but it generally plods and he really wants to be DIO II, but for me he is nowhere near.

Brent, I'm no big fan of the westcoast stuff- too soft for me usually. Dann Huff is a great guitarist (and singer) and I love Giant.

I was really disappointed with that Don Dokken album at the time, but it's not as bad as I thought. I really missed George Lynch at the time. I love his tone and try to steal it when I play guitar (badly). Norum was a poor replacement (though I did like him before he went downtuned.

In regards to the top 50 I found it really hard. I still find albums I think should have gone in it but can't think of any I could leave out. Good luck with that - I'll be a follower for that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: November 21, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »

I'd agree. Love the latest album too. you may want to dig out some feelgood music as the Ashes have started (in predictabnle fashion!)  :biggrin:

Yeah, pretty shitty.  But honestly I can't say I'm surprised with Australia's performance today.  Hopefully Hadden can get some momentum going early in the morning, but he'll just run out of partners too quickly IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: November 21, 2013, 03:06:25 AM »
Fair enough mate - I'm surprised you didn't like Up from The Ashes more though..........I really thought Norum was secondary on that to Billy White and he did a great job.  Probably a bit more polished than Dokken and less of an edge.  I rated this high 90's and it may still not make my top 50 haha.

I have no idea where to start with highlighting albums so I just find something and draw a line to something else .............so George Lynch it is.

I love this album but I can see why some might find it a bit patchy with the different vocalists - you're not a big fan of Glenn Hughes are ya?

Anyway - I love the Ray Gillen tracks , the Nelson one is pretty cool , I like the Hughes ones and the instrumentals are fantastic - some of his best work.

I rate this 90% and most of the subtraction from 100 is due to tracks with Mandy Lion - WTF were you thinking George?!!

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1141 on: November 21, 2013, 03:10:58 AM »
No, not a fan of Glenn Hughes usually- in small doses he's ok but I like that Lynch album, though the Beast is a bit strange but just about works. Love Tierra Del Fuego.
Lynch and Dokken were meant to be together a neither were as good solo. Lynch Mob was better than anything else either has come up with apart.

Samples on YT from the Silent Force album- sounding really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdHqyWedBBo&feature=youtu.be

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: November 21, 2013, 03:13:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9u29BGS0QY - Another Red Dragon Cartel song.  I'm not digging this at all.  :'(

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: November 21, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
Samples on YT from the Silent Force album- sounding really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdHqyWedBBo&feature=youtu.be

This sounds fucking awesome.  Loving the singer too, should check more of his work.  Alex's guitar sounds amazing too.

It's funny, Silent Force is really the only outfit where IMO Alex's guitar playing really shines.  His work with Voodoo Circle, Primal Fear, David Readman, Kimball/Jamison is all top notch, but for some reason with Silent Force alone, his playing seems to be at another level.  It's weird.

EDIT: I have the album on pre order too. \m/

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:28 AM »
Using my Six Degrees of Inner turbulent separation  :P   I could link to about 50 cool CDs just from the bands mentioned in the last few posts .

The Silent Force does sound good but I feel (like most recent releases) that it's all quite familiar - good but familiar.

Red Dragon Cartel -  not great but better than expected (I was expecting crap).   Jake is one of my all time top few guitarists and , even though I really like Badlands , I feel Ozzy is clearly where he fitted best and it's a shame he only did 2 albums in that vein.  I tell ya ......if a riff comes into my head in the shower it's usually Bark At The Moon - I played that song sooooo many times learning that solo.  But based on what he's done in recent years (and the long breaks etc....) I don't really expect anything great from him again it saddens me to say.

Lynch Mob .................I love the first two albums lowdz and the 2nd as much as the first (although most seem to rate it much lower)  I'm sure you have it but just in case anyone isn't aware of the Jap bonus track from the second....

Love In Your Eyes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O3VKa8cos8

if you like Robert Mason ................this isn't wonderful but a rare melodic rock album he was on and has some decent tracks.  I believe this was released without Robert's okay by the guitarist but anyway - if you like his voice might be worth a shot

Can't Keep from falling  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7w_FrOnvmo

I see Ralf Scheepers is getting a few mentions in other threads.................anyone old enough to admit rocking out to this??

Night Of The Wolves  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTHOiEe_5s

The new singer for Silent Force is Michael Bormann who has been a real journeyman of late.   I reckon I have 15+ Cd's with him on.   The place to start would be his first biggish gig Jaded Heart

Mystery Eyes (1998)

Heaven Is Falling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vr1yYv7es

IV (1999)

Live and Let die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68R7BCRrnAI

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:00:23 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1145 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »
Yeah I lissten to the 2nd Lynch Mob more than the first though i love them both. Not heard the bonus track before and I'd have taken that on the album and let the Japs have the Queen cover as a bonus.

Never really listened to much Jaded Heart.

Jake is one of my guitar heroes too. I've always wanted a blue Charvel ever since I saw him play one for Ozzy.

Like Mason's voice. Thought he lifted the last Warrant album a couple of notches. Was alot better than I expected with no Jani.

Not seen that Ralph Sheepers, though I am certainly old enough!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: November 21, 2013, 04:34:10 AM »
Michael Bormann also was on the mic for the Powerworld album from earlier this year, an album I really liked.  "Journeyman" is an understatement.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: November 21, 2013, 04:55:19 AM »
Michael Bormann also was on the mic for the Powerworld album from earlier this year, an album I really liked.  "Journeyman" is an understatement.

I did check out a couple of Powerworld songs on your recommendations but that didn't do much for me to be honest.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: November 21, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »
Last listen before bed and it's time for some Japanese cuisine

This is crunchy, ballsy melodic rock at its best and another album that would be a borderline contender for a top 50 list .   I liked Thunder in the East ( lock n loll clazy night  ;D  )  but it all really clicked on this one for me.  I know the band don't rate it at they Americanised it with the addition of Mike Vescera but (like Ozzy's Ultimate Sin) I think dissing this album is a mistake.  Akira Takasaki is on fire.

Three track samples below - the third contains one of my favourite guitar solos

You shook me  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuY4WC9b3Q   (nice vid  :-X )

red Light Shooter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6DqU9DK6xo

Lost Without Your love  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpz14H6-gc
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:20:29 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1149 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »
The only Loudness I ever had was the double live album Live Loud Alive. It was actually really awesome, but I never really followed them other than that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: November 21, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
The first two Lynch Mob discs are awesome, so is the Don Dokken solo disc.  I had the two Tyran Pace albums; they are solid, but pretty low budget and I felt Ralf didn't get much of a chance to shine.

Really digging the Silent Force samples; the singer reminds me of Joe Lynn Turner.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1151 on: November 21, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
Never rwally bothered with Loudness 1st time round, don't know why. A mate was into them and had the Lightning Strikes album. I do like some Jap 80s metal- Vow Wow, TKO (awesome!)  and I have the Kuni Masque album on vinyl that I used to love. Don't have it on cd and I'm not payng the silly prices it goes for.

I'm a sucker for Galneryus too- they just make me smile with the over the top widdly widdly. Lke X japan and Versaille too, apart from the tranny porn image  :blush

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
Got its fair share of filler but this one is also pretty solid for those who enjoy Eric Martin belting it out a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCfPZ24r4k

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: November 21, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
You beat me to it this morning lowdz.......................NP - a genre classic and I'll commit to this one.  This WOULD be top 50 for me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »
You beat me to it this morning lowdz.......................NP - a genre classic and I'll commit to this one.  This WOULD be top 50 for me.

#32 on my list.