Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564498 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1085 on: November 12, 2013, 04:13:08 AM »
Yeah, I think the mix and production here could actualyl be an issue for me, and I'm not usually fussy.  Man, Timo Tolkki needs to go back to the plan where he was going to quit music, the shit he is doing lately is terrible.  It almost makes me wonder if he made TMac's guitar sound like shit on purpose out of jealousy or something.  :lol

I seriously hope Frontiers change their mind and keep him away from the Allen/Lande project.  Timo will ruin the brilliance Karlsson has created.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1086 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:13 AM »
I like ring of fire, but love the individual parts too. Not listened to the clip yet but am already concerned at the comments. I have to say I haven't been a fan of TMac's guitar sound for a while so that may not be Tolkki's fault.
I didn't hate Avalon like most, but it certainly didn't live up to expectations. Tobi Sammet doesn't have anything to worry about in the metal opera front.

And Boals isn't fooling anyone with that "hair"  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1087 on: November 12, 2013, 06:11:54 AM »
Just listened to the clip and  :omg: that is as bad a sounding clip as I've heard for a long time. Hollow sounding guitar.. I would be ashamed to come up with that mix in my bedroom on the iphone. Such great musicians deserve better. Not even YT compression can be blamed for that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:02 AM »
Just listened to the clip and  :omg: that is as bad a sounding clip as I've heard for a long time. Hollow sounding guitar.. I would be ashamed to come up with that mix in my bedroom on the iphone. Such great musicians deserve better. Not even YT compression can be blamed for that.

Yeah, I can see why people would dislike TMac's tone, but that has nothing to do with this.  Still, I'm looking forward to it as they are one of the great neoclassical bands.

LOL at Boals hair too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:23 AM »
Got the new Place Vendome in the mail yesterday and so far I'm really liking it.  It's AOR by numbers but the songs are nice.  Talk to Me and Broken Wings are my immediate favs with Broken Wings being one of the greatest songs I've heard all year.  What a tune and Michi sounds wonderful all over the record.  Here's the Talk To Me clip;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrRH8OEm_GM

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1090 on: November 15, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
Got the new Place Vendome in the mail yesterday and so far I'm really liking it.  It's AOR by numbers but the songs are nice.  Talk to Me and Broken Wings are my immediate favs with Broken Wings being one of the greatest songs I've heard all year.  What a tune and Michi sounds wonderful all over the record.  Here's the Talk To Me clip;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrRH8OEm_GM

yeah, it's pretty good. I do get bored quite quickly with the AOR by numbers albums these days but this is better than that. I also enjoyed the Revolution Road album, but it's a bit more Southern/Country than my usual taste, but it rocks just enough.

Dug this one out today,

Cost me a bit a few years ago, then they rereleased it with bonus tracks= typical.
Dorianna is a great 80s song.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1091 on: November 15, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
Someone needs to smack me upside the head for not giving Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall a spin sooner. Good lord is this a good album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1092 on: November 15, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »
Someone needs to smack me upside the head for not giving Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall a spin sooner. Good lord is this a good album.
*smacks*

My AOTY
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1093 on: November 15, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Not that high for me, but definite top 10, maybe even top 5 depending on my final list. Fucking fantastic album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: November 15, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what would make my number one, but Freefall is top 3 at least.

Paul, I only know Paul Laine from Danger Danger, I should check that out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1095 on: November 15, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what would make my number one, but Freefall is top 3 at least.

Paul, I only know Paul Laine from Danger Danger, I should check that out.

You got Spotify down there?
It's good but probably a filler track or too too many to be great. There's the odd riff that sounds like other songs too. Worth checking out but try before you buy mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
I've never used Spotify.  I'll check it out on Youtube or something.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
In case anyone missed it in the 2014 Release Date thread...

German guitarist Axel Rudi Pell will release his new album, "Into The Storm", on on January 17, 2013 in Germany, January 20 in the rest of Europe and on January 21 in the USA/Canada via SPV/Steamhammer. The CD was recorded with engineer and co-producer Charlie Bauerfeind and features Pell alongside singer Johnny Gioeli, new drummer Bobby Rondinelli, keyboard player Ferdy Doernberg and bassist Volker Krawczak.

"Into The Storm" track listing:

01. The Inquisitorial Procedure
02. Tower Of Lies
03. Long Way To Go
04. Burning Chains
05. When Truth Hurts
06. Changing Times
07. Touching Heaven
08. High Above
09. Hey Hey My My
10. Into The Storm

Digipak bonus tracks:

11. White CATS (Opus #6 Scivolare)
12. Way To Mandalay

Configurations:

* Limited-edition digipak including 2 tracks + poster
* Double gatefold LP with colored vinyl
* Standard version
* Digital download
* Deluxe edition including digipak, plec, metalpin, poster, postcard, sticker and much more!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axel-rudi-pell-into-the-storm-cover-artwork-track-listing-revealed/#fAv4BoxBGwZXJuW5.99
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1098 on: November 19, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
I can hear it in my head already...

You can certaily rely on Axel not to deviate from the formula. Gioelli is always a pleasure to hear though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: November 19, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »
Yeah, looking forward to this, but it's true we pretty much know how this is going to sound.  But at least we know it will be quality.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1100 on: November 19, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »
Yeah, looking forward to this, but it's true we pretty much know how this is going to sound.  But at least we know it will be quality.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: November 19, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
I should go back and spin Circle of the Oath again.  It was a solid release but I think at the time there were quite a few releases, so it sort of slipped under the radar.  I remember there being some really good tunes though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1102 on: November 19, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
I should go back and spin Circle of the Oath again.  It was a solid release but I think at the time there were quite a few releases, so it sort of slipped under the radar.  I remember there being some really good tunes though.
Yes, you are correct. It was shadowed by a bunch of other things. I will revisit it myself in the next few days. Thank you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:31 PM »
No probs man. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: November 19, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Guess that means I got to buy it.  I took the ARP plunge thanks to Kade, but CoO was one that didn't make the cut.  I had enough of the back catalog to run through.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: November 19, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
I switched off buying ARP discs many years ago ...........the only recent track I heard and liked was Devil Zone - mostly just cos of the huge riff/sound and Gioeli's vox but , having had my very familiar fill , I went back to regular service.

I originally got into ARP through my boy crush on Jeff Scott Soto and one of my favourite bands ever Talisman (also marching Out by Malmsteen)  - so in my mission to get everything he ever did back in the early-mid 90's I got a hold of Between The Walls , Nasty Reputation (Rob Rock) and then sorta got sick of it.  He really needs a better lead guitarist  :laugh: and it might hold my attention better , but in the end the big riffs and Johnny's vox aren't enough to overcome the lack of any real variety.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »
Guess that means I got to buy it.  I took the ARP plunge thanks to Kade, but CoO was one that didn't make the cut.  I had enough of the back catalog to run through.

You probably still do have enough.  COTO is nothing you haven't already heard.  I'll listen again and see if it's worth it for you, as I do remember it did have a couple of amazing songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: November 19, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
I switched off buying ARP discs many years ago ...........the only recent track I heard and liked was Devil Zone - mostly just cos of the huge riff/sound and Gioeli's vox but , having had my very familiar fill , I went back to regular service.

I originally got into ARP through my boy crush on Jeff Scott Soto and one of my favourite bands ever Talisman (also marching Out by Malmsteen)  - so in my mission to get everything he ever did back in the early-mid 90's I got a hold of Between The Walls , Nasty Reputation (Rob Rock) and then sorta got sick of it.  He really needs a better lead guitarist  :laugh: and it might hold my attention better , but in the end the big riffs and Johnny's vox aren't enough to overcome the lack of any real variety.

What did you think of Damage Control?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1108 on: November 19, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »

You probably still do have enough.  COTO is nothing you haven't already heard.  I'll listen again and see if it's worth it for you, as I do remember it did have a couple of amazing songs.
Listening to Run Like the Wind, and I'm thinking this could've easily been lifted from McCauley Schenker's Save Yourself.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: November 19, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »

What did you think of Damage Control?

I certainly like Damage Control but I don't find myself returning to it often ( a bit like JLB's stuff vs DT) ....if memory serves correct I rated it around 80-85%.    I love the guy as a performer and a person but to be honest his solo albums have never done it for me the way he did when working in bands like Talisman, Eyes, Malmsteen etc.....

And speaking of Paul laine (above) he's playing a small gig here in Melbourne in a couple of weeks .  Difficult time for me (Tuesday night) but I really need to make the effort to get along.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:27:29 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: November 19, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
JSS's other album didn't do much for me too, but Damage Control was just stellar IMO.  One of the best things he's done IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: November 19, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
JSS's other album didn't do much for me too, but Damage Control was just stellar IMO.  One of the best things he's done IMO.

It's not an album I played more than a few times -  I'll revisit it and give it a better try.  As implied by my rating I do consider it a quality effort and it would also be my fave solo release too I think.    Talisman though in particular are in another league for me though........RIP Marcel.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: November 19, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
Yeah, Talisman were awesome, really awesome.  Five Men Live is still one of the best live DVD's I've seen.  Such a killer performance.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: November 19, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
By the way - thanks for starting this thread wolfking...........just realised how many pages I need to backtrack and read  :tdwn   ;D     This is far more my cuppa tea than talking lite prog rock and as a refugee from mr.com after being on there almost every day since the 20th century  :omg:  it's cool to have this sort of music having a home on DTF.

I like anything from Toto to Annihilator - as long is has hooks , good songs and musicianship I'm in.

I'm on a bit of a Savatage kick atm - one of my top 10 all time bands

NP:  Follow Me (Edge of Thorns). ..classic Criss Oliva solo and tempo change after  gets me every time :tup  And another of my favourite musicians sadly no longer with us  :'(

Now there's  a band with a few cool covers!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:10:17 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »
Glad to have another melodic fan in the mix. There aren't too too many of us, but there's more than a handful.  This thread can some remiss get a little close to the metal edge of 'melodic', but enjoy the 100+ posts!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
Alrighty then........... :hat    I'm up to date and have speed read the thread.  Not too much mentioned I haven't got or heard but I've got a good feel for the taste in music and it seems right up my alley - everything from AOR to melodic metal.

I didn't really want to be bringing forward quotes from ages ago and commenting so I'll try and contribute from here.   I think lowdz was probably about when I started on mr.com back in the mid-late 90's so there's been plenty of music digested in that time.

If anyone's interested I could try to do a post each day or two of an album of interest -  either a classic that most would be aware of, a rare gem , etc......change it up a bit.    Anyone interested in instrumental stuff?? - don't have a heap of it but I was learning guitar in the Shrapnel days and built up a bit of stuff in that area too.

In the meantime , a little tidbit.

I notice a number here are fans of Hardline/Gioeli...............and of course Double Eclipse.   Well my favourite track off that album is a bonus track that isn't on the general release.

When Love Leads The Way  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5Tbg4QBUw

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1116 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »
Alrighty then........... :hat    I'm up to date and have speed read the thread.  Not too much mentioned I haven't got or heard but I've got a good feel for the taste in music and it seems right up my alley - everything from AOR to melodic metal.

I didn't really want to be bringing forward quotes from ages ago and commenting so I'll try and contribute from here.   I think lowdz was probably about when I started on mr.com back in the mid-late 90's so there's been plenty of music digested in that time.

If anyone's interested I could try to do a post each day or two of an album of interest -  either a classic that most would be aware of, a rare gem , etc......change it up a bit.    Anyone interested in instrumental stuff?? - don't have a heap of it but I was learning guitar in the Shrapnel days and built up a bit of stuff in that area too.

In the meantime , a little tidbit.

I notice a number here are fans of Hardline/Gioeli...............and of course Double Eclipse.   Well my favourite track off that album is a bonus track that isn't on the general release.

When Love Leads The Way  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5Tbg4QBUw

We seem to have a similar taste in these things Brent.
I loved the Shrapnel years but don't have the same enthusiasm for the newer shredders. An instrumental discussion probably needs its own thread. Not sure if there is one- someone started a instrumental recommendation thread that was short lived but it wasn't really about the shredding. If you want to start one I'll be in.

Feel free to recommend any releases. We've all chipped in along the way and I still do when I dig something out of the Lowdz archive (also known as the attic where all my music is "stored"-  htough dumped would be a more accurate descriptiion  :biggrin:).

Is Paul Laine doing a rock show or the country stuff he's about to release with Dark Horse?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: November 20, 2013, 02:29:20 AM »
Paul's doing a rock show - never know ...he might throw in something to promote Dark Horse but the promo stuff has been all about solo, Danger Danger, Shugazer etc.....   I found that Dark Horse single pretty cringe worthy.

I'll see if I can come up with something of interest each day or two - I'm sure you'll know most of it but I'm sure us old timers have a few gems in the attic yet to be revealed to those not quite so advanced in age  :coolio    And it's also cool to make mention/celebrate some classics we're all aware of too.

Re instrumentals I wasn't going to make a habit of it - more just the odd thing I might have that is rockin and melodic  ;)   I tend to think an instrumental thread might dry up pretty quick.  Might just toss in an instrumental CD of the month or something for some variety.

In a way it's cool to have just one thread and a dedicated few rather than trying to keep up with hundreds of threads elsewhere.  I'm pretty done with new music anyway - I still buy plenty in digital format as I come across it but it's all so samey that I rarely like something enough to go to the trouble to buy it on CD for the audiophile in me.   The only album I bothered to buy on CD this year was - you guessed it -  DT12.

I've finally just entered the digital age properly too and it's made a huge difference to the amount of music I'm listening to on my main hifi system.  I really couldn't be stuffed before - searching the "attic" for a CD................so in recent months I have digitised my whole collection (around 30,000 tracks) and connected up a Sonos + DAC to my stereo which means I now have the whole collection at my fingertips via iPAd and queue up stuff like a Jukebox.  Awesome!!

Cheers

Brent
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:41:17 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: November 20, 2013, 02:59:58 AM »
I've been a guitarist for over 15 years so I love Becker, Macalpine, Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Friedman and a lot of the Shrapnel stuff from the late 80's.

That Savatage album is a classic too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: November 20, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »
Speaking of instrumentals;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-racer-x-guitarist-bruce-bouillet-to-release-the-order-of-control-in-january/

Former RACER X guitarist Bruce Bouillet will release his third instrumental album, "The Order Of Control", on January 21, 2014 via Mascot Label Group's Music Theories imprint.

Bouillet has enjoyed a successful career for the past couple of decades as both a sought-after player and a fixture within the Los Angeles studio scene.

THE ORDER OF CONTROL is a new band featuring Bouillet, Dave Foreman (bass) and Glen Sobel (drums).

Bouillet made the move towards instrumental music when conspiring creatively with Foreman about eight years ago. He offers, "Dave is a L.A. underground legend. He has played on more big albums then I can list, some of which include DJ Quick, Aaliyah, Tupac, Snoop Dog, Ice Cube and BOYZ II MEN. His main instrument is guitar, but he plays all instruments amazing. His bass playing on the new album is incredible, and even though he is known for more hip hop and R&B, his rock playing really brings something new to the table." Sobel is an L.A. based drummer who tours with ALICE COOPER, but has also played with BEAUTIFUL CREATURES and Orianthi.

Bouillet has been through the exercise of crafting instrumental album releases three times now, and articulates with ease the benefits to approaching songwriting without vocals in mind. He offers, "Instrumental albums give me a chance to speak with the guitar 100%. Not that I'm some sort of control freak, but just like someone who paints a picture chooses the artistic outcome, I want my instrumental albums to be uniquely me, and since I am not a singer, it provides the right vehicle for me to express myself. That being said I do have a new vocal band in the works for 2014, so in a way I have the best of both worlds."

The guitarist shares his inspiration comes from, "Life, family, friends, traveling, teaching, reading, hiking in the mountains, playing live, or from anyone at the top of their game be it music, sports, science, or art."

"The Order Of Control" is a concept album. Its theme deals with a force intermixed throughout humanity that manipulates the masses. In choosing titles, everything relates to the theme. Bouillet advises, "Sometimes you have to read into it and research." With the opening track, "Blind As We Watched", it makes reference to events that happen around us, right in front of our eyes but invisible to our sight. With "Seeing Through", these days information travels at an ever increasing pace. This title is in reference to disinformation or seeing through disinformation. What better way to spread confusion to the masses, then by adding one sentence of truth in a paragraph of lies, and letting the social networks do the work for you by spreading it around." A third track titled "The Manipulators" references "those that possess the power to remote view, communicate with telepathy, orchestrate street theater, read minds, and place thoughts. They are well trained and organized. They stalk individuals in groups, and use such things as schizophrenia as a weapon to destroy people. It is the perfect crime manipulating one into self destruction."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-racer-x-guitarist-bruce-bouillet-to-release-the-order-of-control-in-january/#2DSwzM7f4cbM5uS4.99

Can't wait for this.  Love Bruce's playing, I think I may even like him more than Gilbert in RX.