Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564534 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 14, 2013, 05:23:39 AM »
Yeah man, good to see some love for Pretty Maids.  I initially thought it was weaker than Pandemonium, but I find myself coming back to Motherland quite a lot.  It's a terrific album.
I actually haven't been up to date what PM have done recently, therefor their recent albums have slipped by for me. Will definitly checked them out after hearing this album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: October 14, 2013, 05:26:59 AM »
I've actually only gotten into them because of the newer albums.  Still checking through their older stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1052 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »
On someone's recommendation, I got Future World, which is great.  I also picked up a compilation which is ok.  There newest 3 albums all rawk.  There's too much older stuff, so I'm just gonna stick with where I'm at.  I'm feeling pretty much the same about Primal Fear.  With 9 albums, I don't want to try and wade thru them all.

Too much good music, not enough time.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: October 14, 2013, 05:46:05 AM »
What Primal Fear did you end up getting?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:08 AM »

None yet
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: October 14, 2013, 05:54:35 AM »

None yet

oh.  There's a best of which has a pretty good tracklist and covers most of their best work.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: October 14, 2013, 05:56:46 AM »
okily dokily.  Will investigate.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: October 14, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
Yeah the best of "Metal is Forever" has a great tracklist and includes a bonus disc of cover tunes (Zeppelin, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest etc).  Awesome band.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1058 on: October 14, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Kade, should've said that PM boxset was a mp3 download, rather than a physical box. I had a 25% off voucher too. Not sure if that puts you off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Album-Box/dp/B003KS4QNG/ref=sr_1_2?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-2&keywords=pretty+maids

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
Ah, that explains the amazing price.  I should check out more of their old stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: October 15, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »
New Seventh Key;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADsH0hcEJU

This is damn good.  Love the mix of AOR and prog!

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #1061 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:08 AM »
I'm looking forward to that new Boston album, although the last one from 2002 wasn't as good as it should have been, but I loved the hell out of the 4 predecessors. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
New Seventh Key;

Yeah, that was pretty sweet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1063 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
New Seventh Key;

Yeah, that was pretty sweet.

Not bad at all. Never really checked them out. I didn't realize they were so old.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1064 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
New Seventh Key;

Checked out the epk a few weeks ago. Great stuff. Slamer has always been quality. Steelhouse Lane was awesome and the other Seveth Key albums were top notch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: October 16, 2013, 04:49:38 AM »
Yeah, Slamer is such a tasteful guitar player.  Looking forward to this one a lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: October 17, 2013, 04:45:38 AM »

No news on who's singing yet.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: October 17, 2013, 05:26:43 AM »
Saw that on FB yesterday.  Nice cover!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 17, 2013, 05:27:08 AM »
Yeah, very snazzy.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: October 17, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
Mood Swings II

Just got my first couple of listens in.  With this being my #10 album of all time, I was very skeptical when I first heard they were re-recording it.  That skepticism turned to optimism when they posted some samples over the summer.  Then when I heard them live, I was really jazzed.

Then I clicked play.  The first few moments of Saviors Never Cry had me VERY worried.  Pete's guitar sound was clunky and raw.  I was worried the album had been 'Vapor Trail'd'.  The rest of the track (quality) improved a bit, but it wasn't until No Justice that I got the relief I was looking for.  They sound fantastic.  20 years later, their sound has aged just as nicely as I have  ;).  My only other beef with the album is Just Like I Planned.  I really liked the a capella vocal harmonies from the original.  There's nothing wrong with the re-record, but I just prefer the original arrangement over this new acoustic version.

And the new tracks are A+.  Haven't watched the DVD 're-making of' yet.

It's a very good replica/restoration of one of my favorite albums of all time.  I'll probably still gravitate to the original, but will spin this for a slight change of sound every now and then.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1070 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
Mood Swings II

Just got my first couple of listens in.  With this being my #10 album of all time, I was very skeptical when I first heard they were re-recording it.  That skepticism turned to optimism when they posted some samples over the summer.  Then when I heard them live, I was really jazzed.

Then I clicked play.  The first few moments of Saviors Never Cry had me VERY worried.  Pete's guitar sound was clunky and raw.  I was worried the album had been 'Vapor Trail'd'.  The rest of the track (quality) improved a bit, but it wasn't until No Justice that I got the relief I was looking for.  They sound fantastic.  20 years later, their sound has aged just as nicely as I have  ;).  My only other beef with the album is Just Like I Planned.  I really liked the a capella vocal harmonies from the original.  There's nothing wrong with the re-record, but I just prefer the original arrangement over this new acoustic version.

And the new tracks are A+.  Haven't watched the DVD 're-making of' yet.

It's a very good replica/restoration of one of my favorite albums of all time.  I'll probably still gravitate to the original, but will spin this for a slight change of sound every now and then.

I haven't bought it as I have the original and it sounds perfectly fine to me (thanks Spotify). The new songs are very good and I agree with you about JLIP. Also the vocals on Sentimental Blvd aren't as good as the original.

I played the new Coney Hatch on Spotify too and it's ok, nothing more than that. Don't see me buying that either.

Adriangale's Suckerpunch is good but there's something missing. I think it is a production thing as the songs and performances are good. Maybe lack some keyboards? Not sure what it is.

No money to Frontiers this month by the looks of it.

That Silent Force cover looks like crap though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: October 17, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
I really like that Silent Force album cover

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
Lineup revealed:

Andre Hilgers - Drums (returning)
Alex Beyrodt - Guitars (returning)
Mat Siner - Bass (new ... Primal Feark, Kiske/Somerville, Voodoo Circle)
Alessandro Del Vecchio - Keys (new ... Eden's Curse, Edge of Forever, Hardline)
Michael Bormann - vocals (new ... he did the Powerworld album earlier this year)

Should be good.  I liked Bormann's vocals on Cybersteria.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: October 23, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
Never heard of Michael Bormann before, but like what I've just heard from his previous material

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1074 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:17 AM »
Lineup revealed:

Andre Hilgers - Drums (returning)
Alex Beyrodt - Guitars (returning)
Mat Siner - Bass (new ... Primal Feark, Kiske/Somerville, Voodoo Circle)
Alessandro Del Vecchio - Keys (new ... Eden's Curse, Edge of Forever, Hardline)
Michael Bormann - vocals (new ... he did the Powerworld album earlier this year)

Should be good.  I liked Bormann's vocals on Cybersteria.

Always liked Bormann's voice. Should be good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: October 24, 2013, 04:51:25 AM »
Not familiar with him to be honest.  Interesting that Alessandro would be in on this, he's been busy lately.  It's funny that that's now 4 bands Mat Sinner and Alex are in together currently.   Surely he could have found another bassist for this.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:48 AM »
Frontiers Records will release "Delivering The Black", the tenth studio album from German power metallers PRIMAL FEAR, on January 24 in Europe and January 28 in North America.

After some very intense songwriting sessions and pre-production schedule, the band started to record the new CD in summer 2013 at the House Of Music studios in Germany, with bassist/producer Mat Sinner and engineer Achim Köhler (EDGUY, MASTERPLAN). The band then moved to Denmark in September to finish the album, with acclaimed producer/engineer Jacob Hansen (VOLBEAT, PRETTY MAIDS, AMARANTHE) handling the mix at his Hansen studio in Ribe.

"Delivering The Black" combines the strongest PRIMAL FEAR moments ever, with a well-balanced typical PRIMAL FEAR trademark riff vibe, crushing songs and some very ambitious musical journeys. The centerpiece of the album are two epic tracks, "When Death Comes Knocking" and the 10-minute opus "One Night In December", spiced with big orchestral arrangements and complex sound designs.

Classic and ultra-fresh PRIMAL FEAR riff-rockers like the title track, the album opener "King For A Day" or the groove monsters "Alive And On Fire" and "Road To Asylum" hit the bulls-eye just like the untamed speed killer "Rebel Faction". The outstanding ballad "Born With A Broken Heart" shows a new side of PRIMAL FEAR with an acoustic guitar vibe and the addition of Liv Kristine (LEAVES' EYES) on backing vocals.

Says PRIMAL FEAR singer Ralf Scheepers: "We worked hard to create our best album ever. I already felt the vibe during the pre-production that we were working on something very special this time. And now the result is just an amazing metal album I'm extremely proud of!" Sinner adds: "The songs, the production, the sound — this album is a very special one for me and my career. In my view, everybody in the band just did a killer job and Jacob was fantastic choice to mix the album!"

The arrival of "Delivering The Black" will be preceded by the release of the digital-only single/video "When Death Comes Knocking" on December 2 — a song which sets the pace for the outstanding quality of production and songwriting displayed on the full album.

Check out an audio sample in the YouTube clip below.

"Delivering The Black" will be made available in a regular CD edition, deluxe edition with two bonus tracks and — in cooperation with Soulfood Music — vinyl edition and DVD and limited edition (666 copies only!) of a super-deluxe version, including a metallic eagle.

"Delivering The Black" track listing:

01. King For A Day
02. Rebel Faction
03. When Death Comes Knocking
04. Alive & On Fire
05. Delivering The Black
06. Road To Asylum
07. One Night In December
08. Never Pray For Justice
09. Born With A Broken Heart
10. Innocent Man *
11. Inseminoid
12. Man Without Shadow *
13. When Death Comes Knocking (Single Edit) *

* Only available on deluxe edition

DVD (only available with deluxe edition)

* When Death Comes Knocking (video)
* King For A Day (video)
* Making Of The Album (video)

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/primal-fear-delivering-the-black-album-details-revealed/#TT3AwLZCICuETWRI.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TK7BEWgEkQE

Song sounds quite different and interesting and has potential.  The mix and production sounds stellar too.  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1077 on: November 05, 2013, 03:38:55 AM »
I saw it on Youtube yesterday, and lost interest once the vocals came in. Production is ok, but it's the usual one-size-fits-all Frontiers records metal production. :lol It actually fits this music this time though.

I've been checking out a few random melodic rock albums on Spotify lately, but it's all the same stuff to my ears. I'll take any suggestions!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: November 05, 2013, 03:50:24 AM »
You're a fussy man Blob.   :lol Primal Fear have always just been a straight forward metal band in the vein of Priest.  Some of their older album are incredible if you like that sort of style.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: November 05, 2013, 03:52:48 AM »
You're a fussy man Blob.   :lol

Yup, sure am. :lol

Primal Fear have always just been a straight forward metal band in the vein of Priest.  Some of their older album are incredible if you like that sort of style.

Not really my style, at least not at the moment. I really don't know what I want at the moment, as not many new albums seem to interest me at all lately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: November 05, 2013, 04:00:13 AM »
You're a fussy man Blob.   :lol

Yup, sure am. :lol

Primal Fear have always just been a straight forward metal band in the vein of Priest.  Some of their older album are incredible if you like that sort of style.

Not really my style, at least not at the moment. I really don't know what I want at the moment, as not many new albums seem to interest me at all lately.

I've actually been through that a couple of  times over the last few years.  I know what you mean, no matter how hard you look, nothing seems to scratch the itch.  The best thing I found was just going back to old stuff that I simply hadn't listened to for a while.  Gives you a nostalgia trip and keeps your mind off new stuff for a while.  Then something eventually pops up and you have more direction again.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: November 05, 2013, 04:17:13 AM »
Primal Fear is one of my favorites.  Just like Saxon and Helloween, you can always depend on a kick ass disc every two years.  This sample didnt really sound great though; not sure what to make of it yet.  Looking forward to the release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: November 05, 2013, 04:22:42 AM »
I think we need the whole song.  Sounds like it might need a few listens too.  Primal Fear have been one of my favs since Black Sun came out too, amazing band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:57 AM »
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!  :metal :hefdaddy

VIRTUOSO SUPERGROUP RING OF FIRE RETURN WITH A BRAND NEW ALBUM IN JANUARY 2014:
Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the return of Neoclassic Power Metal Super Group Ring Of Fire with the release of the band's brand new album Battle of Leningrad on January 24 in Europe and January 28 in North America.
Ring Of Fire is a band comprised of some incredible musicians including former Yngwie Malmsteen and Royal Hunt singer Mark Boals, classically-trained Artension keyboardist Vitalij Kuprij and none other than Tony MacAlpine on guitars.
Combining Melodic metal songs with fantasy-based lyrics, topped off with virtuoso performances from the line-up, the resulting Ring Of Fire albums proved to be exactly what many neoclassical-metal fans had waited for, creating a solid fan base for the band all over the world.
“Battle of Leningrad” is the band's fourth studio album, coming after a 9 years hiatus – a period which has seen the band members getting involved in other projects, most notably with singer Mark Boals becoming singer for Royal Hunt and Kuprij and MacAlpine touring with Trans Siberian Orchestra and Steve Vai respectively.
RING OF FIRE reconvened with Boals, MacAlpine and Kuprij during 2012, when they agreed to work on their unfinished business and develop a new album from the true story of the siege of Leningrad during the WWII.

Mark Boals explains: “It is a true story of the strength and resilience of the Russian people throughout history and particularly in this instance of 900 days of being surrounded on all sides with no food and no hope of rescue, under siege of the Nazi army. The magnificent city of Leningrad with millions of people trapped, found a way to withstand the daily attacks of rockets and bombs, the lack of food, water, and fuel for heat. Although more than 1 million starved to death, most survived, and the Nazis were never able to overtake the city completely. They were finally forced to retreat by the Russian army. Not widely known by most, this was an amazing story and one of World War II's finest examples of heroism in the worst circumstances imaginable”.

Musically the album is all the fans have been waiting for. True “Neoclassic” Power Metal with technical and exciting musical passages which promise to reignite the Ring Of Fire flame among the fans! Former Stratovarius, Timo Tolkki played bass and mixed the album to perfection, while the other finnish musician Jami Huovinen (Sentiment) played drums on the album.
Battle of Leningrad will include the following songs: Mother Russia; They're Calling Your Name; Empire; Land Of Frozen Tears; Firewind; Where Angels Play; Battle Of Leningrad; No Way Out; Our World; Rain.
Samples of the songs can be enjoyed via this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik-yHZ-8QgI&feature=youtu.be

Can't wait for this, but sounds like Timo Tolkki has fucked the mix and production.  Bass is too loud and he has made TMac's guitar sound terrible.  Timo Tolkki really needs to go away.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: November 12, 2013, 04:04:08 AM »
Yikes, that mix is awful. The music sounded ok too, but that mix kills it. Those guitars sound like they were recorded over the telephone, and the drums sound like they were played inside a bathroom made of cardboard boxes.

Is this just a genre doomed to budget mixing? :lol