Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564353 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1015 on: September 30, 2013, 04:46:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDP-HR6RGUQ

DTF's very own Shawn Pelata \t elodicrockfest 3. Awesome vocal.

This is not bad.

Has anyone picked up Mood Swings II yet?

I should receive my copy in the mail anyday.  Really looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1016 on: September 30, 2013, 06:19:04 AM »
Has anyone picked up Mood Swings II yet?

It's on order.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: October 03, 2013, 05:21:31 AM »
Got my copy of Mood Swings II tonight and I instantly ripped off the wrapper and popped it in for a listen.

First off, the packaging is really nice.  Typical Frontiers CD/DVD digi with great artwork.  The DVD contains in studio documentry about the recording of MS2 and individual stems for the songs Saviors, Justice and Change.  A really nice bonus for musicians and will make me want to learn the songs and play Pete's guitar parts.  Amazing feature, well done.

Now, I've only been a fan of this band for a year or maybe a little longer, mainly due to this very thread and of course, the jingle man.  Mood Swings really was something I was looking for and became an instant classic, that possibly could enter my top 50 very soon.  It feels like I've known the album for years, such an underrated piece.

Now, here's the funny thing about this release, it's really hard to see the point of this.  The songs are performed really well and once you get adjusted to listening to this new version, there's really nothing new here that warrants this at all.  It sounds great but all in all, there's no real improvement but considering the performances and energy of the original, this isn't a let down.  At times things sound a little forced, but really, the band have re-created this almost note for note that at times you think you are listening to a remixed version of the original. 

Now, I'm speaking about the thing as a whole but there are a couple of exceptions.  Mandy has a different feel from Pete and represents his style more these days than his style back in the early days.  I know that sounds weird but musicians might understand what I mean.  Guitarists still sound like guitarists but of course over time, their style changes a little as they progress.  I actually might prefer this version of Mandy.

Darren sounds great on Sentimental Blvd, a bit harder and maybe better than the original.

If There Was A Time is also played the same, but this also has a bit of a different feel.  It's nice.

Just Like I Planned was the only song on Mood Swings that felt a little out of place.  I loved what they did with it and it was a nice feature, but for me it was just a novelty.  This is a completetly different version with Harry, Pete on acoustic and a couple of extra choirs chucked in for good measure.  This version is incredible and I prefer this way more than the original.  Pete's little guitar solo is wonderful too, this version fits so well.  This is what I was looking for a bit more from this release.

The rest (after first listen) are just as good as the originals.  You guys that have known the album a lot longer might be able to pick up on a lot more difference, and while yes, it is different in places, not enough to really warrant it IMO, but it's still great and Harry still has the pipes and hits all the notes he needs to.

Now, we get to the best part of the album the three new tracks;

World Gone to Pieces is one of the greatest songs the band has ever done, the chorus is absolutely incredible.  This song is worth the purchase, wow.

Anarchy is a bit darker but with another catchy as hell chorus.  A very solid second new track.

Brighter Day reminds me a bit more of Harry's last solo album but a bit heavier.  Love Pete's guitar lines and another knockout chorus.

A new album with this sort of quality would just kick all sorts of ass.  Good release, although a little pointless at times.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:21:27 AM by wolfking »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
Thats what held me back from ordering it yet; I thought it might have been pointless.  I figured the new tracks would be the make or break.  I'm always hesitant to order rerecorded songs from a band. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: October 03, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
They played World Gone to Pieces when I saw them last month, and I was absolutely wow'd!  Can't wait to hear it.

I thought the main purpose of re-recording this (akin to WDADU) was because they didn't own the rights to the original tracks?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1020 on: October 03, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
Wasn't going to bother but sounds like I'll have to now Kade. Cheers  :biggrin:

And yeah I think it was to get the rights to the songs for licensing purposes like most of these rerecords.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: October 03, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
I thought the main purpose of re-recording this (akin to WDADU) was because they didn't own the rights to the original tracks?

Yeah, this exactly.  I didn't know that until after that post when I watched the DVD.  The DVD is a cool little documentry but it's only 20 minutes long.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: October 04, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
New Eden's Curse track.  https://soundcloud.com/edenscurse/unbreakable

I dig it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: October 04, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
To me, the verses sound incredibly close to The Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics.  It's good though, different.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: October 08, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/timo-tolkkis-avalon-to-release-new-metal-opera-in-2014/

I honestly think that the first one was crap.  Probably my weakest 2013 release.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:55 AM »
I saw the news on FB yesterday.  I'm with ya there on the first one ... Very weak. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: October 08, 2013, 05:16:59 AM »
I tried to like it, but I just couldn't get through it.  Timo's songwriting nowadays is way to simplistic and boring and his guitar solos on that were so self indulgent and his tones were shit.  Loved everything he did in Strato but since the second Revolution Renaissance album, his stuff has been garbage.  Symfonia included.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1027 on: October 08, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
I'm sort of with you but i sort of liked it. It wasn't great but certainly ok. Maybe I just think that because of the video with Elise Ryd blinding me to the blandness of the album. She is a stunner.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: October 08, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »
I'm sort of with you but i sort of liked it. It wasn't great but certainly ok. Maybe I just think that because of the video with Elise Ryd blinding me to the blandness of the album. She is a stunner.

That I can understand. With the talent he recruited, it should've been much better than it was.  It wasn't awful, but it wasn't memorable either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: October 08, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
I'm leaning towards awful.  I just hope the rumors aren't true that Timo is doing the next Allen/Lande.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: October 08, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »
I'm leaning towards awful.  I just hope the rumors aren't true that Timo is doing the next Allen/Lande.

Have you heard if they are looking to release an Allen/Lande next year?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1031 on: October 09, 2013, 01:33:28 AM »

Oh god no  :facepalm:

Say it isn't so. I was never a huge TT fan, always found Stratovarius bland and predictable. And he's lost it over recent years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: October 09, 2013, 04:11:04 AM »
On further investigation, it looks to be more than a rumor.

https://www.facebook.com/officialtolkki/posts/488105644605865

So yes, I have moved on and I am very happy and comfortable in my life. I am making music all the time in my own studio and produce and compose to there people and bands. I just finished the composing for the next Allen/Lande project, which I compose, mix and produce.
I am able to make really cool stuff with Avalon, which has turned out to be a really big success. So all these make my life content and peaceful.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Why the fuck wouldn't they keep Karlsson on this project?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: October 09, 2013, 04:42:32 AM »
I'll reserve judgement until I actually hear it, but I'm not as optimistic as I would be if it was MK.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: October 10, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
New Silent Force album "Rising From Ashes" coming December 13th. Just announced on AFMs FB page.  Pretty sure I heard a couple of days ago that DC is on the mic.

:caffeine:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1036 on: October 10, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
New Silent Force album "Rising From Ashes" coming December 13th. Just announced on AFMs FB page.  Pretty sure I heard a couple of days ago that DC is on the mic.

Cool. I'm up for that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: October 10, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

Fuck, that's a surprise.  I thought Alex would be pretty much done with SF since joining Primal Fear.  Looking forward to it.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
Didnt think I would see another release from Silent Force; cool news.  There was a comment on blabber stating that there is possibly a new vocalist.  BM didn't list the band members on this new disc and I couldnt find it anywhere else.  Hope DC is singing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
Hasn't DC been busy with Royal Hunt and their new album?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: October 11, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
Yeah, maybe that's where I got confused about where DC is spending his time right now.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1041 on: October 11, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
Never really heard any SF. Where's a good place to start? The little I heard on Spotify sounded very bass-drums-at-a-million-miles-an-hour.

When it comes to Royal Hunt it's John West for me. Never got the love for DCC.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: October 11, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
I'd lead with Walk the Earth and Worlds Apart.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: October 11, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
Never really heard any SF. Where's a good place to start? The little I heard on Spotify sounded very bass-drums-at-a-million-miles-an-hour.

When it comes to Royal Hunt it's John West for me. Never got the love for DCC.

Worlds Apart man, amazing album.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: October 11, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
You can't go wrong with any release from Silent Force. "Infatuator" is what got me into the band. Interested to see the cover artwork and confirmation of who is on the disc. DC has been busy with Royal Hunt like Wolf said, so it just might not include him. That would be big shoes to fill if there is a different singer.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1045 on: October 13, 2013, 04:53:18 AM »
I don't know if you would count Pretty Maids as melodic rock but their latest release Motherland is a damn good record with lots of nice melodies.   :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: October 13, 2013, 05:02:21 AM »
Yeah man, good to see some love for Pretty Maids.  I initially thought it was weaker than Pandemonium, but I find myself coming back to Motherland quite a lot.  It's a terrific album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1047 on: October 13, 2013, 08:03:30 AM »
Yeah man, good to see some love for Pretty Maids.  I initially thought it was weaker than Pandemonium, but I find myself coming back to Motherland quite a lot.  It's a terrific album.

Great band, and I missed them first time round. The last 3 albums have been quality and i picked up the boxset of their first 6 albums for £5 a few weeks ago on Amazon.

By the way, really enjoyed Silent Force when I Spotified them yesterday. World's Apart was excellent.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1048 on: October 13, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

So yes, I have moved on and I am very happy and comfortable in my life. I am making music all the time in my own studio and produce and compose to there people and bands. I just finished the composing for the next Allen/Lande project, which I compose, mix and produce.
I am able to make really cool stuff with Avalon, which has turned out to be a really big success. So all these make my life content and peaceful.

Oh for fuck's sake  :facepalm:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:49 AM »

Great band, and I missed them first time round. The last 3 albums have been quality and i picked up the boxset of their first 6 albums for £5 a few weeks ago on Amazon.

By the way, really enjoyed Silent Force when I Spotified them yesterday. World's Apart was excellent.

Wow, I gotta look into that.  And yeah, I knew you would like Worlds Apart, killer stuff.

Oh for fuck's sake  :facepalm:

I'm with you bro.