Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564470 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #875 on: June 12, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Really enjoyed the song though. My measure of good AOR is whether or not it works over an '80s movie training montage. This passed with flying colours.
:lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #876 on: June 12, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
Oh sure you laugh now, but later when you get the sudden urge to watch Rocky IV, remember this!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #877 on: June 12, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »
Samples of the new Masterplan.  This sounds damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdaZiaOhcS0

Ooh this sounds good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: June 12, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Fergie Frederiksen (ex-TOTO) - Last Battle of My War

This is awesome, another release to add to my list.  His last album was pretty good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: June 12, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
Boy, his voice has held up a little better than his face.

Really enjoyed the song though. My measure of good AOR is whether or not it works over an '80s movie training montage. This passed with flying colours.

Well, he is 62, and has overcome a pretty severe cancer.

But yes, this could easily go with any 80's montage, good stuff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:28:36 AM by wolfking »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
Fergie Frederiksen (ex-TOTO) - Last Battle of My War

This is awesome, another release to add to my list.  His last album was pretty good too.

I'm freaking loving this song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: June 13, 2013, 06:39:37 AM »
I'll definitely be getting that one. Just my style, and I've felt like listening to the song several times.

But I can't watch that music video! That withered old face looks so physically pained with each note. I think it's a rule that melodic rock artists aren't suited to camera. Toto. I rest my case. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: June 13, 2013, 06:51:52 AM »
I'll definitely be getting that one. Just my style, and I've felt like listening to the song several times.

But I can't watch that music video! That withered old face looks so physically pained with each note. I think it's a rule that melodic rock artists aren't suited to camera. Toto. I rest my case. :lol

I'm listening to it again right now.

Come on Blob, give poor Fergie a break.  He looks so happy and energetic in that video, he's loving every second of it.  Really killer song though.  But it is written by Allesandro Del Vecchio, he's been doing quality stuff lately.  Here's the full press release by the way;

FERGIE FREDERIKSEN ENJOYS ANY GIVEN MOMENT: HIS NEW SOLO ALBUM OUT IN AUGUST:
Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the release of Fergie Frederiksen new solo album Any Given Moment on August 23 in Europe and August 27 in North America.
The excellent reviews surrounding the release of his latest album Happiness Is The Road in 2011 (with UK's leading AOR magazine Fireworks calling it “Quite stunning!”) rebuilt Fergie's trust in himself and therefore pretty soon another new album was in the works.
This time, Fergie collaborated with Italian producer Alessandro Del Vecchio and with the help of his songwriting, along with contributions from other world class musicians as Bruce Gaitsch (Richard Marx) and Robert Sall (Work of Art, W.E.T.) on guitars among others, Fergie put his mark on another true Melodic Rock gem of an album! “This CD was a pleasure to record. Ale and his talents as an engineer and producer shine” says Fergie. “It is always great when you make "life long friends" doing what we love to do. He's become a dear friend and a great artist. I look forward to working with him again”.

Some special surprises are also included such as the superb duet with Issa on “Not Alone” and a brand new version of Toto's classic song “Angel Don't Cry” originally included on the “Isolation” album. In Fergie's words, the new album title is particularly important because in life “You never know what will happen. But if you have love, faith, family and friends it always makes the trials and struggles in life more doable. Thank God I am blessed with all that and more”.
This new album really rocks though and songs like “The Price For Loving You” and the first single “Last Battle of My War” are there to show the world that Fergie's vocal abilities are still amazing and second to none “The songs on this album are truly all awesome. I had a chance to stretch and let it fly.  “Not Alone”, which I sang a duet with Issa, is pretty special. Our voices blend together and I was so happy she agreed to do it. PO Nilsson really wrote a killer song. Then again there are many more I feel strongly about. Hope you all like them.”
A very special twist during the recording process… “was the trip to visit Frontiers Records in Naples” recalls Fergie. “What fantastic hosts they are. And the food was to die for. I also learned more about Naples in one day than I ever thought possible. What a great day meeting everyone at Frontiers and spending the day in their beautiful and historical city. Blew my mind. All in all it was a great experience and I believe Ale captured my best. Thank you Serafino and Mario for hooking me up with Ale. Great fun and I hope everyone likes the new CD”.
Dennis “Fergie” Frederiksen is mostly known for being the former vocalist of Toto (on the “Isolation” album, released in 1984), he has been involved in a lot of other outstanding musical projects too. Trillion, LeRoux, Frederiksen/Philips, Mecca, Frederiksen/Denander and David London (solo album, under pseudonym) are simply a few worthy of mention. In 1999 he debuted as a solo artist with “Equilibrium”, an album which garnered great reviews in Europe and Japan and since then he has been offering quality Melodic Rock music to his legion of fans.

Any Given Moment includes the following songs: Last Battle Of My War; Let Go; Price For Loving You; I'll Be The One; Time Will Change; How Many Roads; Candles In The Dark; Any Given Moment; Not Alone (Feat. Issa); When The Battle Is Over; Angel Don't Cry.
Enjoy the videoclip of the first single “Last Battle of My War”:

Musicians on “Any Given Moment” include: Fergie Frederiksen – lead vocals; Alessandro Del Vecchio – keyboards, background vocals; Nik Mazzucconi – bass, fretless bass; Herman Furin – drums; Robert Sall, Bruce Gaitsch, Walter Caliaro, Peter Friestedt, Alessio Berlaffa, Sven Larsson, David Coyle - Lead and rhythm guitars; Roberto Tiranti – background vocals; Issa – duet vocals on “Not Alone”. Produced by Alessandro Del Vecchio.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #883 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »
^^ :tup

Given that he has inoperable cancer it's pretty cool he's still going strong.

BTW anyone catching Toto this summer? I might do it actually, haven't seen them in a while.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »
Aw don't worry, I don't care what he looks like. :lol The song is great, and to me stands out from the typical modern AOR stuff, and I'm keen to hear the rest of the album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #885 on: June 13, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
Aw don't worry, I don't care what he looks like. :lol The song is great, and to me stands out from the typical modern AOR stuff, and I'm keen to hear the rest of the album.

Alot of the AOR stuff I've heard recently doesn't hold my interest. The first few tracks are great then things get same-y. That's a good song, hopefully the rest of the album is as good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: June 13, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »

Alot of the AOR stuff I've heard recently doesn't hold my interest. The first few tracks are great then things get same-y. That's a good song, hopefully the rest of the album is as good.

That's only cause you're into bands like Death at the moment.  :lol

Seriously though, I sort of agree. The melodic rock stuff the last 18 months or so has been pretty weak compared to 2-3 years ago.  This has potential as does the new Find Me, and of course Magnus, but that's more melodic metal.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #887 on: June 13, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »

Seriously though, I sort of agree. The melodic rock stuff the last 18 months or so has been pretty weak compared to 2-3 years ago.  This has potential as does the new Find Me, and of course Magnus, but that's more melodic metal.

I agree as well. I think a big thing for me is that they all kind of sound the same sonically as well. Same kind of drum sound, same kind of guitar sound, and nothing playing wise that stands out to me as having a unique or different style than the rest of the bands in the genre. Couple that with generic lyrics, and it kind of gets stale quickly. Sometimes I just feel like I am listening to the same bands over and over with different singers. Maybe it is just me.

Still love the older stuff though. But nothing has really caught my ear lately.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: June 13, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »

I agree as well. I think a big thing for me is that they all kind of sound the same sonically as well. Same kind of drum sound, same kind of guitar sound, and nothing playing wise that stands out to me as having a unique or different style than the rest of the bands in the genre. Couple that with generic lyrics, and it kind of gets stale quickly. Sometimes I just feel like I am listening to the same bands over and over with different singers. Maybe it is just me.

Still love the older stuff though. But nothing has really caught my ear lately.

It's not just you, I feel the same. It seems like every album has the same production, and kind of blurs together as if everyone's just recording their albums back to back. It's like they're all trying to fit in with a modern metal sound, and I find it a bit generic, with those triggered sounding drums, and thin guitars, and overcompression.

The Fergie Frederiksen song sounded a lot more grounded in the '80s melodic rock sound, which appeals to me a lot more. Each to his own though!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #889 on: June 14, 2013, 02:28:48 AM »

That's only cause you're into bands like Death at the moment:lol

:lol

I recently reorganised my usbs for the car, metal on one and melodic rock on the other. It's been melrock for the last couple of weeks as the weather has been strangely hot here in the UK. Not much Death been played   :biggrin:

First listen to the Magnus Karlsson-  :hefdaddy
Melodic metal heaven. great songs, great playing, great vocals- just great. Unless the shine wears off, this is album of the year so far material.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: June 14, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »
I was hoping for my copy of Magnus Karlsson being waiting for me tonight, but it wasn't.  Being Friday, I'll have to wait until next week, but I'm gonna hold out until I get my copy.

The reviews have been outstanding and your backign them all up Paul.  If you think it's album of the year material, it must be fucking good.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:26 AM »
maybe its just me and my age...but having grown up with AOR being the staple of the radio with bands like Boston/Toto/Foreigner/Doobie Brothers  all these "new" AOR bands all sound the same and are generic as hell

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: June 14, 2013, 05:44:09 AM »
I think they just have different influences these days, more metal.  But as said above, Frontiers do have a regular roster at the moment where they just put people together and get them to churn out albums.  It's almost a factory where they just spit out this type of music.  It's like pop but just not popular.  I don't mind but when you get things that aren't up to par, you'd rather the artists slow down and produce quality as opposed to quantity.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:12 AM »
I don't like the metal direction samey-ness they mostly have these days. I'm glad that Frontiers supports that kind of music, but it also makes it harder to weed out the good stuff from the rest when they churn out so much.

I'm really waiting for a new Stan Bush album hopefully later this year (he's currently recording it), because his last few albums have been really solid performers for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #894 on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:02 AM »
I think they just have different influences these days, more metal.  But as said above, Frontiers do have a regular roster at the moment where they just put people together and get them to churn out albums.  It's almost a factory where they just spit out this type of music.  It's like pop but just not popular.  I don't mind but when you get things that aren't up to par, you'd rather the artists slow down and produce quality as opposed to quantity.

Yeah that is definitely a problem.

The MK album was an instant hit just hoping that it doesn't wear off quickly. Listened to his Bob Catley album (Immortal) last night- another great MK album.
The new Masterplan sounds good too. Amazon have done well out of me today.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: June 14, 2013, 07:00:29 AM »
Ok, I'm giving this Magnus Karlsson album a spin because of this thread. Let you know how it goes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: June 14, 2013, 07:11:21 AM »
Sounds good Blob, hopefully you will enjoy it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: June 14, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »
Blah, and I'm already out. Sorry.
Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like the metal stuff. It just does absolutely nothing at all for me. I like melodic rock, but I'm pretty fussy with it, and I don't really like the melodic metal. I just feel like I'm listening to power metal (not that there's anything wrong with that either). The mix/production isn't all too great either.

I can't wait for the Fergie Frederiksen one to come out already, dangit.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #898 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »
Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like the metal stuff. It just does absolutely nothing at all for me. I like melodic rock, but I'm pretty fussy with it, and I don't really like the melodic metal. I just feel like I'm listening to power metal (not that there's anything wrong with that either). The mix/production isn't all too great either.

I get that. I'm the opposite. I'm not a fan of the pink n fluffy AOR- the highly polished, keyboard dominated stuff. I like a little steel with my melody.
Not noticed anything wrong with the production/mix of the MK, but then again I'm listening on the mp3 player or in the car.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »

I get that. I'm the opposite. I'm not a fan of the pink n fluffy AOR- the highly polished, keyboard dominated stuff. I like a little steel with my melody.

Oh believe me, I totally get that a lot of people aren't going to dig the fluff '80s stuff. :lol There is a limit to just how wimpy I like, but I definitely lean more towards the softer keyboard-driven side than the metal side. I do like it to have some balls, but rock balls, rather than metal balls. Just different strokes, that's all.
As I said, there wasn't anything wrong with the album, it's just not what *I* like in the genre. But I'm a super fussy bastard, so I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything!  :blush

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
You're a hard man Blob, but you like what you like.  Magnus' stuff is very different to any other AOR, it's definitely more metal.  I've never had an issue with the production on any of his albums though, it's always been top notch.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: June 19, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »
Just received Freefall tonight and have just listened to it for the first time.  Wow, it really is something special.  Magnus sure did an incredible job writing songs for the singers.  The only thing I will say is that it is a little overproduced and compressed and some songs are mixed a bit too loud.

But the songs and performances are incredible.  Freefall is amazing and Russell is just superb and the solo in this track is jaw dropping.  Ralf sang really really well, probably better than he has for quite some time.  Magnus' songs are good and his voice is actually really good.  The Mark Boals song was incredible and I was impressed with Fighting, Herman is a good singer.  The song with Mike Andersson is great and the solo section in this song made me punch the air, on first listen the most outstanding part of the whole record.

Album of the year material.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #902 on: June 19, 2013, 06:01:26 AM »
Summed that up pretty well, Kade. Excellent album. Have you got the Masterplan yet? That's up there too. I really like it. Been some good albums out in the last few weeks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: June 19, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »
Should receive it any day now.  Loved Rik's track on Freefall so I think he definitely will be a fine replacement for Jorn.

Also received the new Jorn, it's 10:30 on a weeknight and I'm on the second last song so after the first listen it was a bit of a blur, but it seems alright.  Some fresh stuff in there with Trond but nothing groundbreaking either.  The main thing that threw me was the shameless Dio rip off in the first couple of songs.  Couldn't get past that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #904 on: June 19, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »
Should receive it any day now.  Loved Rik's track on Freefall so I think he definitely will be a fine replacement for Jorn.

Also received the new Jorn, it's 10:30 on a weeknight and I'm on the second last song so after the first listen it was a bit of a blur, but it seems alright.  Some fresh stuff in there with Trond but nothing groundbreaking either.  The main thing that threw me was the shameless Dio rip off in the first couple of songs.  Couldn't get past that.

I'm sure he thinks he is Dio. It's an ok album, probably better than his last couple, but he doesn't excite me and I don't love his voice as others seem to. He sounds better on other people's stuff (Allen/Lande, Avantasia, Masterplan, Millenium, Ark) than his own.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: June 19, 2013, 07:09:18 AM »

I'm sure he thinks he is Dio. It's an ok album, probably better than his last couple, but he doesn't excite me and I don't love his voice as others seem to. He sounds better on other people's stuff (Allen/Lande, Avantasia, Masterplan, Millenium, Ark) than his own.

Yeah, I'd probably agree with that.  It's good and definitely better than the last couple but year, definitely more listens.  Also the last track is quite laughable in the lyrics.  He already did a whole album tribute to Dio and now another song?  Come on Jorn, we know he's your idol ,you don't need to shove it down our throats. 

I will say, the guitar work is really goodon the album though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #906 on: June 19, 2013, 07:24:55 AM »

Yeah, I'd probably agree with that.  It's good and definitely better than the last couple but year, definitely more listens.  Also the last track is quite laughable in the lyrics.  He already did a whole album tribute to Dio and now another song?  Come on Jorn, we know he's your idol ,you don't need to shove it down our throats. 

I will say, the guitar work is really goodon the album though.

Teeny is a very good player and good songwriter. WigWam are pretty good. It's not all killer but a decent percentage is. Just don't start with Wall Street, their last album. WigWamania is the place to start.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: June 19, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »
Yeah I might check them out.

Just finishing my second listen of Freefall before bed, and yeah, this is some really good shit.  Great songs and solid playing and performances.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #908 on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »
The new Robin Beck album sounds really good ina very AOR style. She's still hot too.  :heart Maybe you young'uns won't agree  :biggrin:

This is the epk for the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQetaxVr3U&feature=player_embedded#at=105

Her Trouble Or Nothn' album was excellent back in the day. On the poppier side ogf my taste but I did love it. Will have to dig it out now we're having a summer here in the UK.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: June 20, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »
Never checked her out.  I know it sounds a bit sexist but I'm not the biggest fan of female vocalists.  It sounds okay but not really my style.

She's hot though.  I love my women around this age.  :lol  I'd fuck the shit out of her.

Also was that a pic of Tommy Denander I saw there, he's the boss.