Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564438 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #805 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:28 AM »
Trond Halter from Wigwam should ensure some good melodies- some Wigwam influence in the first clip towrds the end of it. Pretty excited from the samples, and I haven't been for a Jorn album in a long time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: April 15, 2013, 05:22:52 AM »
Not sure where I stand on this.  I was so disappointed with Bring Heavy Rock to the Land.  These samples sound a little better.  We'll see.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: April 15, 2013, 05:45:28 AM »
Yeah, we'll see guys, but the samples do sound more promising.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #808 on: April 15, 2013, 07:19:16 AM »
Sounds like the usual Jorn to me. I think Jorn is an awesome vocalist, but none of his original solo stuff has ever stood out to me, and I don't like the same production on every single album. I didn't like the Allen/Lande stuff either. I wish I could get into more of his stuff.  :-\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: April 15, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
From his FB feed:

Hey everyone! The new PelleK concept-album "Ocean of Opportunity" will be ready and sent to printing already next week! Get ready for the 9 most awesome tracks you've ever heard from PelleK! \m/ The release-date will be announced very soon :)

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #810 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Very good singer. His album from last year was pretty good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Bag of Tricks is good - and a good list of guests (for those that didn't know... Amanda Sommerville, Tommy Karevik, Oliver Hartmann).

Damnation Angels is the absolute bomb!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #812 on: April 15, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
Bag of Tricks is good - and a good list of guests (for those that didn't know... Amanda Sommerville, Tommy Karevik, Oliver Hartmann).

Damnation Angels is the absolute bomb!

Yeah, what he said.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: April 15, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
Hmmm....another one for me to check out.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #814 on: April 23, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Checked out Damnation Angels and holy crap those orchestrations. Absolutely amazing. No Leaf Clover is kind of a bust, but the rest of the album slays. I love metal with orchestrations like this.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #815 on: April 24, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Checked out Damnation Angels and holy crap those orchestrations. Absolutely amazing. No Leaf Clover is kind of a bust, but the rest of the album slays. I love metal with orchestrations like this.

Have you checked out the Rage albums from Lingua Mortis onwards? Excellent use of the orchestra in metal.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #816 on: April 24, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
Last time I checked out Rage, I didn't like the singers voice, but I'll give em another shot.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: April 29, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
YT teaser/samplers for PelleK's album, and he's taking pre-orders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-G54CL8X5M

More of the same from him... but I'll likely still buy it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #818 on: May 07, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
You guys familiar with Code Of Silence? I finally received their debut Dark Skies Over Babylon today in the mail. I bought it after watching the following video of Sky Is Falling Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSPtR8ote-I

Honestly, I was kind of dissappointed with it. I was hoping it was heavier, but I thought it would be perfect for this thread. Great vocals and guitar!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #819 on: May 07, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
You guys familiar with Code Of Silence? I finally received their debut Dark Skies Over Babylon today in the mail. I bought it after watching the following video of Sky Is Falling Down

Honestly, I was kind of dissappointed with it. I was hoping it was heavier, but I thought it would be perfect for this thread. Great vocals and guitar!

Not bad. Lyrics are shite but the rest is fine. I'll give it a listen or two on Spotify. You're spot on with the vocals and guitar.
Been in the mood for a bit heavier recently though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Heard Code of Silence once before - they had a track on one of the Melodicrock.com compilations I ordered last year.  Can't say I remember the track... it's kinda hard to stand out against a group that includes the likes of Pride of Lions, Jimi Jameson, Jim Peterik, Eric Martin, House of Lords, Harmann, Terry Brock, Mecca, JLT, First Signal, Trillion, Andreas Novak... the list goes on.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: May 08, 2013, 04:02:28 AM »

Didn't really like that song at all to be honest.  The guitar solo was great though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: May 10, 2013, 05:45:06 AM »
Just had a peek at frontiers.it.  And this was in the latest videos section - Burning Rain/My Lust Your Fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q71lr6aHP5A

Pretty good, though I don't feel compelled to go out and buy it.  Watching/listening to this, I feel I stepped right into 1987.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #823 on: May 10, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »
Never heard of them, but then I spotted my Aldrich on guitars, so I'm already interested! Decent song. The style alone is enough to make me want to hear more though.
Doesn't really sound 80s to me. Sounds either earlier 90s, or just modern rock.

Great music video too. Bonus points for that.

Frontiers also put up the EPK for the new King Kobra album, King Kobra 2. Music video is coming in June, but the snippets in the video sounded great. I expect it will be at least as good as the last one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:41 AM »
Just had a peek at frontiers.it.  And this was in the latest videos section - Burning Rain/My Lust Your Fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q71lr6aHP5A

Pretty good, though I don't feel compelled to go out and buy it.  Watching/listening to this, I feel I stepped right into 1987.

Yeah, I checked that video when it came out and didn't really like it all to be honest.  Not gonna pick it up.

Frontiers also put up the EPK for the new King Kobra album, King Kobra 2. Music video is coming in June, but the snippets in the video sounded great. I expect it will be at least as good as the last one.

Yeah, the last King Kobra was pretty good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #825 on: May 10, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
I didn't like it either, mainly the vocals tbh. The guitars sound a million dollars, like on the Whitesnake albums Doug has done.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
Even Dougs playing for me has become pretty pedestrian.  He was so much more creative when he was with Dio.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: May 13, 2013, 04:06:57 AM »
Just a quick post to mention new Fair Warning and Poodles coming up.  Fair Warning coming at the end of this month and The Poodles next month I think.  Looking forward to both.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #828 on: May 13, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »
Just a quick post to mention new Fair Warning and Poodles coming up.  Fair Warning coming at the end of this month and The Poodles next month I think.  Looking forward to both.

I prefer FW to The Poodles, though they have their moments. Will give both a listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: May 16, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »
Paul, I can't remember if you have ever been into Accept or UDO, but I'm slowly going back through UDO's discography, even though I've been a fan of the later stuff for a few years, but got the album Faceless World and despite UDO being more straight heavy metal, Faceless World has a slight AOR edge and lots of great choruses and solos with amazing production.  I think you would dig it.  The other one I'm listening to is Timebomb which if you like FW, check it out as it's a bit heavier.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #830 on: May 17, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
Paul, I can't remember if you have ever been into Accept or UDO, but I'm slowly going back through UDO's discography, even though I've been a fan of the later stuff for a few years, but got the album Faceless World and despite UDO being more straight heavy metal, Faceless World has a slight AOR edge and lots of great choruses and solos with amazing production.  I think you would dig it.  The other one I'm listening to is Timebomb which if you like FW, check it out as it's a bit heavier.

I would have liked Accept without Udo in it. Hate his weedy voice- ruined some fine material. Prefer the new Accept singer even though he sounds like Udo, just better and stronger. Saw Accept live at Donington Monsters Of Rock (1984) many years ago and enjoyed them 'cos you couldn't really hear Udo.
Not heard of Timebomb. I'll check it out.

Edit  :facepalm: thought timebomb was a band. It's been a long day! Checked out Timebomb on Spotify without realising that's what you'd recommended and liked the music but not the voice. Shame. Some good songs.

My rediscovered classic this week was this little beauty. Not sure if I recommended it before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUVQ-fcVVe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1V-URmg4U
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:38:35 PM by Lowdz »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: May 17, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
No worries, I was worried you wouldn't like his voice.

I have one Crown of Thorns album, it's okay.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #832 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
Anyone listen to Timo Tollki's Avalon yet? On first listen, all the tracks with just the female singers were the better ones.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #833 on: May 17, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
Anyone listen to Timo Tollki's Avalon yet? On first listen, all the tracks with just the female singers were the better ones.

Just noticed it's on Spotiify. Will have a listen and get back to you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: May 17, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
I'll wait until I receive my copy.  I'm not expecting too much to be honest, Tolkki has always been pretty pedestrian with his song writing, will be interesting to see how it goes down in an Avantasia style setting.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #835 on: May 17, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
It actually sounds very similar to old Avantasia in the melody department. And unfortunately a tad too generic power metally.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #836 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
The Poodles album, is up on Spotify too. I love this service. Means I don't have to buy poor albums anymore. Going to have to skim it for now- it's nearly bedtime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »
It actually sounds very similar to old Avantasia in the melody department. And unfortunately a tad too generic power metally.

Yeah, I think that's sort of what I mean, not much diversity in his song writing anymore.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Damn Spotify not in Canada.  I thought Avalon's release date was the 21st?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #839 on: May 17, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »

Yeah, I think that's sort of what I mean, not much diversity in his song writing anymore.

The "play the  bass drums as fast as you can" approach should be banned in power metal. Boring, boring, boring.