Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564410 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #735 on: February 10, 2013, 04:16:35 AM »
Yeah, I said that when the sample came out.  I admit it really has grown on me though, it's generic, but I love it.

I gotta say though, the samples don't sound overly promising either bar a couple of tracks, we'll have to just wait and see.  Robert Sall should be utilised more, in song writing and guitar playing.  That would give the project the edge that it looks like it may need.  He would be able to produce better songs on his own IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: February 10, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Okay, I have listened to the new Pink Cream 69 about four or maybe five times now, and I gotta say, it's excellent.  I wasn't keen on the first listen but I thought it could be a grower, and it is. 

The band are just doing their thing.  They have nothing to prove here and really are not trying too hard with anything at all.  The songs are varied, well written, never overstay their welcome, nice and melodic and it really is just a great bunch of songs to listen to over and over.  Great stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #737 on: February 11, 2013, 04:52:24 AM »
Okay, I have listened to the new Pink Cream 69 about four or maybe five times now, and I gotta say, it's excellent.  I wasn't keen on the first listen but I thought it could be a grower, and it is. 

The band are just doing their thing.  They have nothing to prove here and really are not trying too hard with anything at all.  The songs are varied, well written, never overstay their welcome, nice and melodic and it really is just a great bunch of songs to listen to over and over.  Great stuff.

Had another listen yesterday and enjoyed it. Quality songwriting. Not as heavy as my personal fave Thunderdome but certainly a good album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:37 AM »
Yeah, I wish it was slightly heavier too, but really loving this a lot.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #739 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm really digging the new Pink Cream 69 now as well. At first, it was like more of the same (which for PC69 is good), but it's really opened up w/ repeated listens.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: February 12, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
I'm really digging the new Pink Cream 69 now as well. At first, it was like more of the same (which for PC69 is good), but it's really opened up w/ repeated listens.

Yeah, definitely a grower.  I can't even pick fav songs because they are all so good and consistent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »
Been buying random albums lately online in mp3 format instead of shelling out for cd's and stumbled across this gem;

Hugo and Josh Ramos from Hardline.  This album is incredible from start to finish, great vocals, great songs and melodies and incredible guitar playing from Josh.  He shows here what a great player he is, very impressed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: February 26, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #743 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
Been buying random albums lately online in mp3 format instead of shelling out for cd's and stumbled across this gem;

Hugo and Josh Ramos from Hardline.  This album is incredible from start to finish, great vocals, great songs and melodies and incredible guitar playing from Josh.  He shows here what a great player he is, very impressed.

Yeah, that's a good one. Since you're grabbing random MP3 albums, you should check out Frederiksen Denander's album "Baptism By Fire"... https://www.amazon.com/Baptism-By-Fire-Frederiksen/dp/B000VB4K18/ref=sr_1_sc_3_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1361989251&sr=8-3-spell

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #744 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
And Shawn Pelata's own Line Of Fire albums- I guess he's too modest to plug himself!

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #745 on: February 27, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
And Shawn Pelata's own Line Of Fire albums- I guess he's too modest to plug himself!

I appreciate the plug!  :hefdaddy

I plugged LOF once when I first showed up...haven't done it since.  :biggrin: I try to not be obnoxious about it, even though I'm proud of it.

We are making our debut LIVE performance at Rock Harvest II festival in Maryland on 11/9/2013  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: February 27, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
I have the Denander/Frederiksen album on cd, it's fantastic.

Will check out your band too Pelata, sounds interesting.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #747 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »
I have the Denander/Frederiksen album on cd, it's fantastic.

Will check out your band too Pelata, sounds interesting.

I appreciate that! Thanks! :tup

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #748 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
Anyone going to MRF3?

https://www.melodicrock.com/

We (Line Of Fire) just got added to the Friday line up.  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
I've heard the band Magnum mentioned quite a few times on DTF. Just bought a best of; this is an awesome band. They have to be one of the defining AOR bands for sure. The song "vigilante" can get stuck in your head for hours.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #750 on: March 07, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
You can't go wrong with Storyteller's Night, Wings Of Heaven and Vigilante. Some great songs on the other albums but those three are essential.
We told you so  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: March 07, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »
Yep, those three albums are the holy trinity for Magnum, terrific albums.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: March 13, 2013, 05:22:48 AM »
Anyone heard the new WET?

It's pretty solid, but compared to the first one, it's simple and safe and leaves me wanting more to be honest.  Great solid songs but they are more AOR and to the point with less guitar work and nothing really epic on the album.  A great collection of short catchy no nonsense songs.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »
New Whitesnake DVD.  The quality looks incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyo0eGhcr4g

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #754 on: March 13, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »
Video and sound seems pretty good aside from the glows on everything. I don't like them tuning down a whole step though.  :-\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #755 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »

It's pretty solid, but compared to the first one, it's simple and safe and leaves me wanting more to be honest.  Great solid songs but they are more AOR and to the point with less guitar work and nothing really epic on the album.  A great collection of short catchy no nonsense songs.

Pretty underwhelmed. I guess I'm burned out on Martensson's songwriting. It's nice and polished but soulless. Even Jeff can't save it. Plus I'm on a Power Metal kick at the minute. Maybe I'll go back to it later.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #756 on: March 13, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
Video and sound seems pretty good aside from the glows on everything. I don't like them tuning down a whole step though.  :-\

The vocals are so obviously overdubbed. I won't be able to watch it, it's so off-putting. DC is the weak link really. Maybe the band should do a Queensryche and get Jorn Lande in.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »

Pretty underwhelmed. I guess I'm burned out on Martensson's songwriting. It's nice and polished but soulless. Even Jeff can't save it. Plus I'm on a Power Metal kick at the minute. Maybe I'll go back to it later.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, it's good but nothing compared to the first one, will go back to it later too.

The vocals are so obviously overdubbed. I won't be able to watch it, it's so off-putting. DC is the weak link really. Maybe the band should do a Queensryche and get Jorn Lande in.

Yeah, that was the case when I saw them live a couple of years ago, DC was awful and ruined the concert for me.  Nevertheless the DVD looks enjoyable.

I'd rather a band tune down and have the singer more comfortable than straining to hit higher notes. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #758 on: March 17, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcguxHc4hiU

Heard this song in the local Spar shop the other day, not knowing who it was and I got a real modern day Magnum vibe from it. Not really sure why, maybe it's just me. See what you think. There's definitely a bit of Bob in the chorus. I've never liked this band before but this song is ok. Needs a little more guitar...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: March 18, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
Not a fan of Stereophonics at all really.  That song was okay, but nothing that would want to make me check out the album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #760 on: March 21, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »
Ok, my newest discovery. I've been on a power metal kick lately and I stumbled across this band on Youtube.  I love this album. They say they are EPIC METAL and I guess that's fair. Quite Maiden-y with a female properly operatic trained vocalist. The songs are catchy. It's all well=played. Worth a listen.

Morning Starlett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qBiKeDgPQ

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: March 21, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
Will check it out tonight after work.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #762 on: March 22, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
New Pretty Maids is on Spotify. Sounds good so far. Looks like another I'll have to buy. Supposed to be economising!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: March 22, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
Ok, my newest discovery. I've been on a power metal kick lately and I stumbled across this band on Youtube.  I love this album. They say they are EPIC METAL and I guess that's fair. Quite Maiden-y with a female properly operatic trained vocalist. The songs are catchy. It's all well=played. Worth a listen.

Morning Starlett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qBiKeDgPQ

Not bad.  The vocals are an acquired taste, but a pretty true power metal style.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
New Pretty Maids is on Spotify. Sounds good so far. Looks like another I'll have to buy. Supposed to be economising!!!

Yeah, tell me about it.  The Pretty Maids is getting some excellent reviews, can't wait til my copy arrives. 

Also, I just got the new Vega cd in the mail yesterday, and it's pretty killer.  The first album was incredible, but this is a little different, more arena rock mixed with melodic rock, but the whole album is really strong consistent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: March 25, 2013, 05:37:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98mD8hvKKso

Basically the same as anything on the first Revolution Renaissance album.

But hot damn, I'm in love.  :heart :hefdaddy :heart

Also, Timo's solo sounds different.  It sounds like the debated guitar solos that he apparentely didn't do from the last two RR albums.  Hmm...could he have in fact played those solos.  This sounds nothing like his old style, it instantly reminded me of those albums, interesting.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #766 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98mD8hvKKso

Basically the same as anything on the first Revolution Renaissance album.

But hot damn, I'm in love.  :heart :hefdaddy :heart

Also, Timo's solo sounds different.  It sounds like the debated guitar solos that he apparentely didn't do from the last two RR albums.  Hmm...could he have in fact played those solos.  This sounds nothing like his old style, it instantly reminded me of those albums, interesting.

you can't have her- she's mine  :lol

Liked it. I'm more excited for this than the new Avantasia strangely.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #767 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:08 AM »
Elize!!  I just went from 6-12.  Have either of you checked out Amaranthe's songs/videos?  Hardly worthy of this thread, but damn.  Just damn.

Nice looking cast on this album!  Another to add to my 2013 list.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #768 on: March 25, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
I like the Amaranthe. I'd love it if the growler shut up but that's modern metal for you.
I'd probably take Nemesea over it, but not sure I could choose between Manda and Elize as easily. Now that would be a nice problem to have  :heart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #769 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
I'd probably take Nemesea over it, but not sure I could choose between Manda and Elize as easily. Now that would be a nice problem to have  :heart

Nemesea is hot and cold for me.  The two previous albums to The Quiet Resistance, I found Manda to be too much in the high operatic range - like early Nightwish.  Much prefer the mid-tier register sound on The Quiet Resistance.  But yeah... visually, how do you chose?

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion