Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564292 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #665 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »
Wow, Work of Art, Eclipse, Eden's Curse.  Seriously, this just might make me think about a European vacation with Mrs.Jingle.

You missed the most exciting part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LhTMPgZ-44&feature=g-high-u

https://www.melodicrock.com/
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #666 on: December 10, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Cool
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
Shooting Star??? same band as the late 70's early 80's

Hang On For Your Life was a huge go to album for me back then
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #668 on: December 10, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
Shooting Star??

Amen, brother! I have it on CD and still listen to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #669 on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
Shooting Star??

No gig photos TAC? Your slipping!  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: December 11, 2012, 03:31:38 AM »
I have listened to the new WET sample about 20 times and have formed my opinion.  After about 10 times it really started to click.  The first few times I just thought it was good but the more I hear it, the more I love it.

Now, my concern is that it doesn't really sound like WET, it sounds like Eclipse.  From what we are hearing so far, this could have sat in the middle of Bleed and Scream no problem.  Some of the chord progressions are the same as a lot of songs on that album too.  I like Erik, but his songwriting doesn't have much variation, take the new Jimi Jamison. 

I personally wanted more Robert Sall on this, his songwriting IMO is more varied and mature than Erik's and I hope he is utilised properly this time around.  I mean, he only contributed to about 5 or 6 songs on the debut and played guitar on one song.  His solos are less distinct than Magnus' but IMO, better structured, flashy and at times melodic. 

So, the new sample is amazing, but safe, and hopefully Robert is utilised a lot more.  I also hope JSS isn't pushed to the top of his range for a lot of the time like he was on the debut.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #671 on: December 11, 2012, 05:28:27 AM »
I thought the same with the clip. Erik certainly has a style and is instantly recognisable, but after several recent releases it's starting to sound very same-y. Still, it's just one clip. Let's see what the rest of the album has to offer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: December 11, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »
I thought the same with the clip. Erik certainly has a style and is instantly recognisable, but after several recent releases it's starting to sound very same-y. Still, it's just one clip. Let's see what the rest of the album has to offer.

Yeah, I'm glad you could see what I'm getting at.  I'm definitely looking forward to what we have in store here, and it's only a minute sample and the song is still amazing.  I just want a bit more variety.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #673 on: December 11, 2012, 06:18:38 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Brett Walker? He's a songwriter/producer guy who co-wrote some hits for AOR bands in the 90s (most noteworthy for Alias, the song "Waiting For Love"). He also released a solo album in Europe/Scandinavia in 1994 called 'Nevertheless'. It's a strong, very melodic rock record...sort of like a blend of 'Cuts Like A Knife' era Bryan Adams and the first 2 Richard Marx albums. Jon Cain from Journey co-writes and produces a couple tracks and his brother, Mugs Cain, plays drums.

Anyway, Divebomb Records has remastered and reissued it and it's coming out in January. It will also contain an exclusive bonus track, remixed by Brett himself. The whole package was remastered by Jamie King (Between The Buried And Me) at The Basement Studios.

Check the song "More Than A Memory" here:

https://soundcloud.com/divebombrecords/brett-walker-more-than-a

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #674 on: December 11, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Shooting Star??

No gig photos TAC? Your slipping!  ;D
Of Shooting Star?? Jeesh, I'm not THAT old!! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:33 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Brett Walker? He's a songwriter/producer guy who co-wrote some hits for AOR bands in the 90s (most noteworthy for Alias, the song "Waiting For Love"). He also released a solo album in Europe/Scandinavia in 1994 called 'Nevertheless'. It's a strong, very melodic rock record...sort of like a blend of 'Cuts Like A Knife' era Bryan Adams and the first 2 Richard Marx albums. Jon Cain from Journey co-writes and produces a couple tracks and his brother, Mugs Cain, plays drums.

Anyway, Divebomb Records has remastered and reissued it and it's coming out in January. It will also contain an exclusive bonus track, remixed by Brett himself. The whole package was remastered by Jamie King (Between The Buried And Me) at The Basement Studios.

Check the song "More Than A Memory" here:

https://soundcloud.com/divebombrecords/brett-walker-more-than-a

This is pretty damn good, I might check this out, right up my alley.  His voice reminds me of Mark Free, good find, cheers.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: December 20, 2012, 04:38:12 AM »
Damn, just listening to the new Yngwie and this is the first Yngwie release that is doing absolutely nothing for me.  Production is shit, drum machine sound like ass and hearing Yngwie on a song or two throughout the years is fine but here, he should not be singing himself.  And I've only listened to 4 songs!!  Awful.  :(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »
Won't be getting that one

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #678 on: December 20, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
Damn, just listening to the new Yngwie and this is the first Yngwie release that is doing absolutely nothing for me.  Production is shit, drum machine sound like ass and hearing Yngwie on a song or two throughout the years is fine but here, he should not be singing himself.  And I've only listened to 4 songs!!  Awful.  :(
Drum machine?? Really? Forget it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #679 on: December 20, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
It sounds like demos- it's that bad.
Yngwie needs a producer and a singer (please call JSS or JLT and get on your knees Yngwie- it's your last hope). And a drummer.  Probably a songwriter too.

I loved Yngwie, he was my idol in my teens. I grew up but unfortunately the big Swede didn't. His last essential album was Facing the Animal and that was what, 15 years ago?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #680 on: December 20, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
I actually thought Perpetual Flame was excellent.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #681 on: December 20, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

Each to their own TAC my friend. I'm no fan of Ripper but I don't blame him for me not liking it. Every two-bit power metal band is churning out better albums that Yngwie these days. He got left behind. I know he says he doesn't listen to other bands but he really should have done. He really needed someone to spar with but he wanted yes men and got them (or got rid of them if they disagreed with him).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: December 20, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »

Each to their own TAC my friend. I'm no fan of Ripper but I don't blame him for me not liking it. Every two-bit power metal band is churning out better albums that Yngwie these days. He got left behind. I know he says he doesn't listen to other bands but he really should have done. He really needed someone to spar with but he wanted yes men and got them (or got rid of them if they disagreed with him).
Yes, all you say is true.
Thought certainly not groundbreaking, it was the first Yngwie I bought new in literally 15 years. I find it pretty easy on the ears.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: December 20, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
I'm a big Ripper fan but I dont think Yngwie and Ripper were that great of a match.  Something seemed abit off, especially live.  If Yngwie could get JSS or JLT, that would be huge.  Doubtful they would want to associate with him again though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #684 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
I'm a big Ripper fan but I dont think Yngwie and Ripper were that great of a match.  Something seemed abit off, especially live.  If Yngwie could get JSS or JLT, that would be huge.  Doubtful they would want to associate with him again though.

I thin k it's about all that will save his career from here. I don't think JSS or JLT need the hassle at this point though. Yngwie probably needs them more than they need him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: December 21, 2012, 03:28:06 AM »
I also thought Perpetual Flame was pretty damn good, but I will say Ripper and Yngwie were not a perfect match.  They were good, but not really meant to be.

I still hold Alchemy as his best and most unique work.  I don't really see where Yngwie can go from here.  Yes, reuniting with JSS or JLT, and even Jens and Anders would definitely save his career, but I think he is too far in a rut and I don't see him getting out of it any time soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #686 on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
Posted in the release date thread, but Eden's Curse has a video diary up at https://www.edenscurse.com/
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: January 04, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Posted in the release date thread, but Eden's Curse has a video diary up at https://www.edenscurse.com/

Just watched that last night, sounds like were in for some standard solid Eden's Curse.  Interesting to know if they have a singer yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: January 06, 2013, 04:58:03 AM »
Found this in store today and picked it up on a whim;

Never heard any of their stuff before but this is some smooth, great 80's music with excellent production.  Vinny Burns on guitar doesn't hurt either.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #689 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:39 AM »
Found this in store today and picked it up on a whim;

Never heard any of their stuff before but this is some smooth, great 80's music with excellent production.  Vinny Burns on guitar doesn't hurt either.

Decent album. I was never a huge fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #690 on: January 06, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »
Isn't that (Thin Lizzy's) Darren Warton's band? or am I thinking of something else?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: January 07, 2013, 03:41:25 AM »
Isn't that (Thin Lizzy's) Darren Warton's band? or am I thinking of something else?

That's the one.  I have listened to it 3 times now, pretty damn good.  As I said, excellent production, great 80's vocals from Wharton and some good melodies.  Not the catchiest songs I've ever heard but solid and a good sound.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #692 on: January 07, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »

That's the one.  I have listened to it 3 times now, pretty damn good.  As I said, excellent production, great 80's vocals from Wharton and some good melodies.  Not the catchiest songs I've ever heard but solid and a good sound.

They went with a more Celtic feel after this, which was pretty good but they didn't rock enough. Enjoyed them at Firefest a few years ago.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #693 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
Just seen over at Melodicrock.com that Treat are splitting this year. I was hoping for a follow up to the awesome Coup de Grace album, but not to be. The pressure of following it must have been too much!
CdG is one of the best melodic rock albums of the last 20 years for me. Up there with Danger Danger's Revolve.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:16 AM »
Both CdG and Revolve made me the fan of melodic rock that I am now.  I had never heard Treat before but that album just blew me away.  I agree Paul, both those albums are easily some of the greatest rock I've ever had the pleasure of discovering, and I have some fond nostalgic memories at the time I discovered both of them.

I was waiting for a follow up too, a damn shame.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: January 16, 2013, 03:26:57 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184892

PRETTY MAIDS To Release 'Motherland' In March

Frontiers Records will release "Motherland", the new album from veteran Danish hard rockers PRETTY MAIDS, on March 22 in Europe and March 26 in North America.

After their successful and highly acclaimed 2010 album "Pandemonium", PRETTY MAIDS celebrated their 30th anniversary with their debut visual release, "It Comes Alive (Maid in Switzerland)", in 2012. "Pandemonium" showed the world that PRETTY MAIDS were in a creative spring again, with the band in their finest moment. The melodic approach brought a return to the "Future World" / "Red Hot And Heavy" era of the Eighties, but with an updated sound and freshness that consolidated PRETTY MAIDS as strong as ever.

In late spring 2012, the band gathered to finally write the follow-up album. Singer Ronnie Atkins states: "We knew it was going to be a tough one to follow. I remember back in the day when we had to follow-up albums like 'Future World', we tried more or less to copy the songs from the previous album to keep the same kind of balance. But this time we just wrote what came natural to us and that's what became 'Motherland'."

The band teamed up again with producer Jacob Hansen (VOLBEAT, AMARANTHE) for the new CD. Ronnie says: "Jacob was a natural choice since we had a great experience with him producing the 'Pandemonium' album. The recordings went smooth to begin with, but then we had to start touring again during the weekends and this created some stress. Though I really feel strongly about 'Motherland'. In my view, it has all the ingredients of a good PRETTY MAIDS album, maybe even more melodic than 'Pandemonium' and absolutely, as far as I'm concerned a worthy follow-up."

"Motherland" track listing:

01. Mother Of All Lies
02. To Fool A Natio
03. Confession
04. The Iceman
05. Sad To See You Suffer
06. Hooligan
07. Infinity
08. Why So Serious
09. Motherland
10. I See Ghosts
11. Bullet For You
12. Who What Where When Why
13. Wasted

The release of the new album will be preceded by the release of the single/video "Mother of All Lies", which will arrive on January 22.

PRETTY MAIDS will play numerous festivals this summer, such as Wacken Open Air and Bang Your Head!!!, followed by an extensive world tour in support of "Motherland".

PRETTY MAIDS is:

Ronnie Atkins - Vocals
Ken Hammer - Guitars
Morten Sandager - Keyboards
Allan Tschicaja - Drums
Rene Shades - Bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuqCwrdojho&feature=player_embedded

The sample is amazing.  Pretty much could go anywhere on Pandemonium, but really strong again.  Love how Ronnie describes it too;

Though I really feel strongly about 'Motherland'. In my view, it has all the ingredients of a good PRETTY MAIDS album, maybe even more melodic than 'Pandemonium' and absolutely, as far as I'm concerned a worthy follow-up."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #696 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:48 AM »
Looking forward to this. PM are pretty good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:41 AM »
What did you think of Pandemonium?

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #698 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »
Pretty Maids has never released a bad album...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: January 16, 2013, 06:06:48 AM »
I have literally never bought a Pretty Maids album. I remember they had a popular video in the 80's. Is that the same singer?