Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564335 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #630 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
Softer, but yes ... It is.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #631 on: November 17, 2012, 02:34:53 AM »
It's more typical 80s sounding AOR but a very good album nonetheless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2012, 03:10:28 AM »
Woot!  Ok, I've got something to say.  Honestly, I wouldn't steer you wrong, would I?  It's definitely not hard to love.  How long until you do it all over again?

I have listened to it about three times because it's so good after every listen it's like a distant memory.  With a little love from me, I believe this band could be one of my favourites.  The love reaction I am having with this band is just like I planned.  I'm sure other bands will get jealous of me listening to them, but hey, change comes around and there is really no justice in this world for this band not being bigger than they were.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2012, 03:14:20 AM »
I go the Toby Hitchcock album. I haven't listened through the whole thing yet, but the few songs I heard I enjoyed. Gonna give it a good few listens when I get the chance.
The production is balls though, like a lot of newer melodic rock albums seem to be unfortunately, which made it harder to listen to. I guess they have trouble making these albums sound good for cheap?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:47 AM »
I go the Toby Hitchcock album. I haven't listened through the whole thing yet, but the few songs I heard I enjoyed. Gonna give it a good few listens when I get the chance.
The production is balls though, like a lot of newer melodic rock albums seem to be unfortunately, which made it harder to listen to. I guess they have trouble making these albums sound good for cheap?

I thought the production was quite fantastic IMO.  Saying that, I'm not that picky on production.  What's so negative about the produciton in your opinion?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: November 18, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »

I thought the production was quite fantastic IMO.  Saying that, I'm not that picky on production.  What's so negative about the produciton in your opinion?

Just my opinion of course, but the guitars are tinny and shrill, the bass is boomy but without clarity, and the drums have no presence or space, and it's a bit too compressed for my liking. It doesn't sound very balanced to me.
It's not terrible, but it sounds like a low budget album, and it will take some getting used to. Also, I'm quite picky with production. It can be make or break for me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:23 AM »
I agree with Kade on Mercury's Down.  I thought it was quite strong production wise.  But I do agree that there are a lot in this genre that feel a little weaker than they ought to from a shallow production effort.

Was just noticing that this entire thread started with a post about Mercury's Down just over a year ago, and you finally got around to it now?  Better late than never.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: November 18, 2012, 05:10:55 AM »
As much as I love the melodic rock genre, I find a lot of the new stuff pretty generic with subpar production, so I don't check out a lot of the suggestions unless there's something that draws me to it, like a name I recognize (as with the Jimi Jamison album).
I checked out Bleed and Scream after it was highly reviewed here, and that did nothing at all for me. My taste in music is different to almost everyone here, so I'm not usually quick to jump on a DTF recommendation.

Also keep in mind that my internet is terrible too, so I don't get to check out as much random stuff as I'd like to. I tend to prioritize the safer bets rather than risk it with "unproven" stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #638 on: November 18, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »
I understand the criticism re production. Bands and labels aren't spending the money they did on production- but even back in the day albums sounded awful. The other problem is that alot of the Frontiers stuff is written, produced and played by the same people.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: November 18, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
Yeah, Frontiers stuff is usually a one or two man project.  I guess if they had the finances for outside producers, the results would be even better.

And yes, Mercury's Down was the inspiration for me making this thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: November 18, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Listening to Harem Scarem's Believe for the first time.  I'm only half way through, but I think this is pretty good.  I really love this bands sound, even the songs which aren't up to standard are different, unique and still have great performances.  Baby With A Nail Gun is easily one of the greatest instrumentals I've ever heard.  Pete is so damn underrated.

Oh, and the site I order cd's from had a sale so I also ordered Voice of Reason, Big Bang Theory and Rubber, just for the hell of it.  They were only $11.  Chad, don't worry, I will not hold you responsible if I don't enjoy these ones.  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: November 18, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
I'll shart myself if you enjoy any of those. Maybe a few songs are tolerable, but your $11 would've been better spent elsewhere. Red Circuit for instance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: November 18, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Ah!  Why do I keep forgetting about that band?!  :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: November 27, 2012, 04:13:14 AM »
From melodic rock;

TIME TO GET W.E.T. AGAIN SOON:

The brand new eagerly awaited sophomore W.E.T. album Rise Up is done! It is due for release via Frontiers Records in February and promises to be another prime slice of melodic hard rock with Jeff Scott Soto stating: "I think the contrast is great and shows more growth as a 'band'" and as for songs "...all I know is we love them all."
I've got 4 tracks form the album to talk about and believe me - these are something very special indeed. It looks like the band have gone out of their way to make sure the classic debut has a companion.

Learn To Live Again - An uptempo melodic rocker with a driving verse and an explosive, harmony filled chorus that equals anything from the debut, just with heavier riffs! Erik throws in a few vocal lines and the guitar solo is fantastic. Harmonies everywhere.
Rise Up - A darker and moodier melodic hard rocker that flows along until a hard edge riff jumps in before a punchy but simple chorus. Lots of keyboards deep in the mix and lots of musical layers to absorb.
Walk Away - Beyond fantastic. A classic song from the first listen. A heavy and bombastic intro and hard riffing guitars and a thumping drum sound before a chorus so unbelievably catchy commercial Journey style chorus kicks in.
Love Heals - An amazing ballad that matches the quality of the debut with ease. A haunting JSS vocal and lead guitar fill as the song builds to a dynamite, multi-layered emotional chorus. Another classic for fans of the debut and JSS!

Lots to look forward to.....stay tuned for an audio preview asap!

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #644 on: November 27, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
Looking forward to that. The last JSS didn't do it for me- I know  you liked it Kade- so need a fix of awesome Jeff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2012, 04:37:26 AM »
Looking forward to that. The last JSS didn't do it for me- I know  you liked it Kade- so need a fix of awesome Jeff.

Yeah mate, I thought it was tremendous, interesting you didn't take to it.  This is going to be absolutely stunning though, can't wait.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
Cool.... I'll be on the lookout for that in a couple of months.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #647 on: November 30, 2012, 02:56:39 AM »
Loving the new acoustic John Corabi album. Five new songs and the rest are acoustic versions of his various past projects.
Four of the songs streaming here.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #648 on: November 30, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
Loving the new acoustic John Corabi album. Five new songs and the rest are acoustic versions of his various past projects.
Four of the songs streaming here.

I used to really like the Scream album. Not played it in years- will have to dig it out.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: November 30, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Havent really heard much of Scream, I should check it out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #650 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »

Ibought it on release because of Bruce Buillet and John Alderette from Racer X, but I'm sure they gave both albums away on their website a few years ago.

It can be found fairly easily and I'm sure it's legit to do so, as I say they gave it away a few years ago- don't want to break any rules posting the address though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:42:02 AM by Lowdz »

Offline r0cken

« Reply #651 on: December 01, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
Nope, the RacerX site removed the "Let it Scream" album from their site, per Corabi's request. It can still be found on Amazon and eBay, but it's rather pricey. There is an unreleased album still available for free on their site.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »

Ibought it on release because of Bruce Buillet and John Alderette from Racer X, but I'm sure they gave both albums away on their website a few years ago.

It can be found fairly easily and I'm sure it's legit to do so, as I say they gave it away a few years ago- don't want to break any rules posting the address though.

I have always wanted to check out more from Bruce Buillet, such an amazing guitarist.  Is this Scream album you speak of a Corabi solo album or something?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #653 on: December 02, 2012, 04:12:46 AM »

I have always wanted to check out more from Bruce Buillet, such an amazing guitarist.  Is this Scream album you speak of a Corabi solo album or something?

It was a band effort pre him joining Motley. It's ok, enjoyable enough. Bluesy, sort of a heavier Mr Big.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:42 AM »
Thanks Paul, might check that out.

Also, anyone into Mob Rules, the new album is pretty damn good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »

Great album. I used the opening track in lonestar's roulette last week. It scored 8 but only cos it was a lyric round and neither of us could find them on the net. He admitted it would have been a 10 any other round but due to his song length limits I couldn't use it any other round.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »

Great album. I used the opening track in lonestar's roulette last week. It scored 8 but only cos it was a lyric round and neither of us could find them on the net. He admitted it would have been a 10 any other round but due to his song length limits I couldn't use it any other round.

The first track is indeed absolutely mindblowing.  Really terrific album, very underrated.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #657 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »

The first track is indeed absolutely mindblowing.  Really terrific album, very underrated.

Wow, I just checked out Cannibal Nation. Holy Shit, this is a terrific album. The Iron Maiden influence shows right through :tup
I've heard it through twice now, and it may be a late entry into this year's Top 10.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: December 06, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
Yeah, it's getting plenty of spins from me too, really good metal.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #659 on: December 09, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
Hey guys, any of you fancy coming over t o the UK for next year's Firefest?

Harem Scarem performing Mood Swings in it's entirety on Friday. And the Magnificent opening up the show.

Hardline headlining Saturday, plus Treat focusing on  Coup de Grace.

Sunday line up to come.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2012, 02:58:35 AM »

Harem Scarem performing Mood Swings in it's entirety on Friday. And the Magnificent opening up the show.

Sunday line up to come.

You just made me blow my load four times.  Harem Scarem back together?!  The Magnificent album is amazing, love Hardline of course and Coup de Grace was one of my top albums of that year, holy crap. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:37 AM »
HAREM SCAREM ARE COMING BACK!:
Harem Scarem have confirmed they are coming back in 2013, which is just sensational news for fans of the band. There is one change in the line-up however! Harry Hess tells me that bass player Barry Donaghy has left the music business. His replacement will be none other than the band's original drummer (and long time backing vocalist) Darren Smith!
The band will headline the Friday night of the Firefest 10th Anniversary show in the UK October 18, but will also play some other European shows around the same time. Harry didn't rule out a local Canadian warm up show or two either.

On a recording front, the band has already started their next project - to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the album, the band will re-record their classic Mood Swings release - which will come out in the first half of 2013 complete with 3 bonus tracks - new songs written, as Harry puts it "...in the spirit of that time...".
Stay tuned for further updates!

Not sure about a re-recording but hell, I'll take it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »

Sunday line up to come.

Damn!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:14 AM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: December 10, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »
Wow, Work of Art, Eclipse, Eden's Curse.  Seriously, this just might make me think about a European vacation with Mrs.Jingle.