Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564448 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #595 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
Regarding Harem Scarem, Lowdz is bang on.  let's just forget everything from 1995 to 2002. Karma Cleansing/Believe is tolerable, but the rest (Voice of Reason, Big Bang Theory, Rubber and Ultra Feel)... forget about it.

Mood Swings is Top 12 on my all time list.

Hess just had a solo album, and his album under First Signal from a couple years ago is really good.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:56:46 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: November 02, 2012, 03:25:57 AM »
Love First Signal, really great collection of melodic rock songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #597 on: November 02, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq8M7TH2yY0

This was recommended to me and sounds pretty good in more of a melodic metal vein. Think I might have to get this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: November 06, 2012, 04:31:31 AM »
Pretty good.  They actually remind me of a band that I had forgotten about that deserve to be in this thread, Evidence One;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1mEvBt0jZo

The album The Sky is the Limit is excellent.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #599 on: November 06, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »
How do you like this one? The band is called "Highway 9", they had just one album in 2002. I think it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MizEnPhU7Ac

Ten years before that, the same guys released an album under the name Mr. Reality. Very nice acoustic AOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTo0QlY-o8

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #600 on: November 07, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
That was ok r0cken but nothing that excites me tbh. A bit "jangly" sounding to me. Nice enough I suppose.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: November 07, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »
LIONVILLE RETURN WITH LIONVILLE "II" RELEASE:

Lionville is back! The band's winning combination of tight song writing, stellar musical performances recorded by a gifted cast of experienced studio cats and upcoming talents, crowned by impressive lead vocals and an album mix paying attention to all the significant little details, made "Lionville" one of 2011's most favorite AOR records. Fans and reviewers alike enjoyed the catchy pure AOR sound and among others the album reached # 3 on melodicrock.com's "Best Debut Album Of 2011" rundown, it also landed at # 20 on the site's "Best Album Of The Year" charts and the ballad "The World Without Your Love", written by Richard Marx, Bruce Gaitsch and Amy Sky, reached # 11 on the "Best Ballad" listing.

Soon after the release of last year's self-titled debut album (Avenue 11100030) main songwriter, guitarist and vocalist Stefano Lionetti, started working on new material for the follow-up to the band's very well received first effort. Together with label owner and executive producer Gregor Klee, Stefano discussed the key ingredients for their next co-operation and both agreed that the record should be a musical continuation of the debut with an occasional interesting twist here and there. Lionville's sophomore album "II" is another slice of high class AOR with a touch of Westcoast and Melodic Rock, with most of the top flight musicians performing on the debut returning to the recording studio to lay down their tracks. During the spring and summer of 2012 the recordings took place in various studios in Italy, Sweden and the USA, before the mixing and the mastering were completed by Alessandro Del Vecchio in his newly built Ivory Tears Studios close to Milan, Italy.

Lars Säfsund (Work Of Art) shows again that he is one of the most versatile and talented lead and backing vocalists of our time, also Stefano delivers a very solid performance on lead vocals in addition to his melodic guitar playing and an occasional contribution on the keyboards. The song "Higher", one of the album's many highlights presents one of the year's best vocal arrangements and performances on a Rock song sees the two young European singers unite with one of the AOR and Westcoast genre's American legends, the two-time Grammy award winning Bill Champlin (formerly of Chicago) with his signature vocals. The trio trades off the lead vocals and Bill's wife Tamara Champlin joins them on backing vocals.

The excellent band playing on all tracks was also the Lionville live band for the celebrated Firefest performance in October 2012, the line-up includes the Italian musicians Mario Percudani (Hungryheart, Issa, Shining Line, Mitch Malloy), Anna Portalupi (Hardline, Mitch Malloy, Issa, Steve Lukather), Alessandro Mori (Mitch Malloy, Moonstone Project) as well as producer and keyboarder Alessandro Del Vecchio (Edge Of Forever, Hardline, Issa, Mitch Malloy). On the album they are joined by guitarist Bruce Gaitsch (Richard Marx, Chicago) on seven songs, as well as guest guitar players Robert Säll (Work Of Art, W.E.T.), Sven Larsson (Street Talk) and Peter Friestedt (Williams Friestedt, L.A. Project). The invitees are completed by drummer Herman Furin (Work Of Art) on percussions and Italian saxophone luminary Joe La Viola.
Stefano's song writing partners are again Pierpaolo "Zorro" Monti (Shining Line, Charming Grace), Robert Säll, Lars Säfsund and Alessandro Del Vecchio and a new co-operation was started with Miqael Persson (Eclipse, Toby Hitchcock, Giant). The only song originating from outside writers is a cover version of Boy Meets Girl's catchy 80s Pop Rock gem "Waiting For A Star To Fall", written by George Merrill and Shannon Rubicam.

Lionville "II" turns out to be a more mature and homogenous sounding affair than the bands debut, paying even more attention to the musical arrangements and production details resulting in a very well balanced mix that pays attention to all the precious little details. In the case of Lionville "II" the much-cited term "Labour Of Love" is certainly appropriate as everyone involved gave their best from start to finish to deliver one of the AOR highlights of 2012.
Released: November 30
Track Listing: 1) All We Need 2) The Only Way Is Up 3) Another Day 4) Higher 5) No Turning Back 6) All This Time 7) Next To Me 8) Waiting For A Star To Fall 9) Don't Walk Away 10) One In A Million 11) Shining Over Me 12) Open Your Heart.

Produced, mixed and mastered by Alessandro Del Vecchio at Ivorytears Music Works Studio - Somma Lombardo, Italy. All songs arranged by Stefano Lionetti & Alessandro Del Vecchio except "All This Time" arranged by Robert Säll.

Lionville is: Stefano Lionetti: Lead & backing vocals, electric & acoustic guitars, keyboards With: Lars Säfsund: Lead & backing vocals, Alessandro Del Vecchio: Keyboards & backing vocals, Bruce Gaitsch: Electric & acoustic guitars, Mario Percudani: Electric guitars, Anna Portalupi: Bass, Alessandro Mori: Drums & percussion
Very Special Guests: Bill Champlin: Lead & backing vocals on "Higher", Tamara Champlin: Backing vocals on "Higher", Robert Säll: Guitars & keyboards on "All This Time", Sven Larsson: Guitars on "One In A Million", Peter Friestedt: Guitars on "Another Day", Joe La Viola: Saxophone on "Waiting For A Star To Fall", Herman Furin: Percussions on "Open Your Heart".
WebLink: www.avenue-of-allies.com.

Quick release date, looking forward to it.  The first album was amazing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #602 on: November 07, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
Enjoyed the first one. I'm a big fan of Alessandro Del Vecchio. Saw him last year with Eden's Curse and kept wondering why he wasn't the lead vocalist- he was so much better than Michael Eden.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: November 12, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
Yeah, the first one got plenty of spins from me also.  Yeah, he is a terrific vocalist, talented guy all round.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: November 12, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
With all the Masterplan talk around here lately, I've gotten back into Jorn's older stuff.  Actually pulled out this;

Best of Ralph Santolla's melodic rock band, which I've had for years but never really paid much attention to it.  Jorn only features on one album by them where six songs are represented here.  Jorn features on Hourglass.  I brought a digital version but have never been able to track down a pshyical copy, really good stuff;

Spinning Worldchanger right now from his solo band.  It's a shame Jorn doesn't produce quality quite like this anymore.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: November 12, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Stop pointing out albums I want to listen too!!!

Kade, I'll get this as soon as you tell me how you liked Red Circuit!  :p

Also, did your Harem Scarem arrive yet?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Ahhh, I forgot about Red Circuit.  I might just bite the bullet and order it.  :P

Still waiting on Harem Scarem, should arrive within the next day or so.  Looking forward to it, as Mood Swings is getting repeated listens from me lately.  Love the dynamic production of these sorts of cd's back in the day.  Not compressed, full sound and just sounds incredible pumped through the car stereo.  Seriously one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, and probably would be in my top 100 already.

Still waiting on Jimi Jamison too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #607 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
With all the Masterplan talk around here lately, I've gotten back into Jorn's older stuff. 

You left out The Snakes - Once Bitten. :biggrin: It's like the lost Whitesnake album! :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:59 AM »
With all the Masterplan talk around here lately, I've gotten back into Jorn's older stuff. 

You left out The Snakes - Once Bitten. :biggrin: It's like the lost Whitesnake album! :lol

I'm pretty sure this is the only Jorn release I haven't heard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: November 13, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »
Michael Kiske (UNISONIC, ex-HELLOWEEN) has agreed to record a third PLACE VENDÔME album. His UNISONIC bandmate Dennis Ward will once again produce the CD, which will be tracked this winter for a tentative late summer/early fall 2013 release via Frontiers Records.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=182141

:metal :metal :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: November 13, 2012, 03:48:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure this is the only Jorn release I haven't heard.

It's actually the only Jorn release I've liked, aside from Unlocking the Past, which doesn't count so much since it's covers.
If you're a fan of classic Whitesnake, definitely check it out. They also have a live album where they do old Whitesnake songs, and most of the time you forget that it's not Coverdale.  :eek

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: November 13, 2012, 03:53:36 AM »
I should definitely check that out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #612 on: November 13, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
I played the 1st Millenium album the other day- love it. Singer is J Todd Plant rather than Jorn.

I've got the 2nd album as well but don't remember much about it. not heard any of the Millenium/Jorn tracks but I imagine he would fit right in.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Michael Kiske (UNISONIC, ex-HELLOWEEN) has agreed to record a third PLACE VENDÔME album. His UNISONIC bandmate Dennis Ward will once again produce the CD, which will be tracked this winter for a tentative late summer/early fall 2013 release via Frontiers Records.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=182141

:metal :metal :metal

Nice to see Michael Kiske active in the hard rock/metal scene the last few years.  I was getting the impression from interviews over the years that he wanted nothing to do with the genre.  Wolf, do you think Kiske or Hansen will ever show up on a future Helloween disc in some guest capacity?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: November 14, 2012, 03:59:29 AM »
Kiske has said many times he is no longer into metal.  I think we are actually treated with what he has been doing with PV and Unisonic, but that's as heavy as it will get.

In regards to Kiske or Hansen featuring on a Helloween disc, I hope not.  Helloween are a completely different band to what they were when these guys were in the band.  Plus, I usually don't like guests on bands albums, and I wasn't thrilled with Kiske's appearance on Gamma Ray's To The Metal.  Helloween don't need any guest appearances, they are killing it as they are and seriously can't wait for the new disc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: November 14, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
Good news for Jingle;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=182198

Following the band's successful reunion show at Firefest 2011, Frontiers Records has announced the signing of CONEY HATCH to a a worldwide deal. The band's new studio album will be released in 2013.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:10 AM »
aaahhhh... was never a big Coney Hatch fan.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #617 on: November 14, 2012, 05:59:58 AM »

Love CH. Don't Say Make Me is one of my favourite songs ever. Some filler on each album and 3 wasn't that great. And why did they ever let the bass player sing? But the great outweighs the not-so-great for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #618 on: November 14, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
I actually saw them open for Iron Maiden in 1983! Bought the first album to familiarize myself with them. I don't remember much about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
I think Coney Hatch is just a great straight up old school hard rock band.  Interested to hear what they will release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: November 14, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

I thought that was one band you speak highly of.......maybe it was Lowdz.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: November 14, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
wadn't me

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: November 14, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Cool.

Just got Jimi Jamison last night, not bad, but not as spectacular as Toby Hitchcock.  Sounds pretty safe and actually it seems like Erik just put some songs together with not as much thought as Toby.  The style fits perfectly for Jimi, but just seems a little generic and predictable in some of the songwriting.  Although I've only listened to it once, so I need to repeat it a few times.

And Chad, will play Red Circuit tonight, promise. (Unless my Harem Scarem cd's show up in the mail today.)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: November 14, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »
I will have to check out this Toby Hitchcock album. I like the new Jimi Jamison album a lot. I agree that it's a bit safe, although it's still a really solid album. It's maybe a little generic in style, but the songwriting is strong enough that I wouldn't call it a generic album.

My only criticism is that it's a little too "poppy" for what I would have hoped for. I like melodic rock with a bit of a heavier edge.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: November 15, 2012, 04:35:34 AM »
I will have to check out this Toby Hitchcock album. I like the new Jimi Jamison album a lot. I agree that it's a bit safe, although it's still a really solid album. It's maybe a little generic in style, but the songwriting is strong enough that I wouldn't call it a generic album.

My only criticism is that it's a little too "poppy" for what I would have hoped for. I like melodic rock with a bit of a heavier edge.

I'm listening to it again right now and I am enjoying it quite a bit.  You need to hear the Tby Hitchcock album ASAP!!

NP: The Great Unknown.  Great chorus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: November 16, 2012, 04:37:40 AM »
Just listened to Harem Scarems debut.  :metal :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: November 16, 2012, 04:43:21 AM »
Woot!  Ok, I've got something to say.  Honestly, I wouldn't steer you wrong, would I?  It's definitely not hard to love.  How long until you do it all over again?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #627 on: November 16, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
I see what you did there  ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: November 16, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
:footloose:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: November 16, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »
I only have Mood Swings.  Is the debut just as good?