Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564318 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #560 on: October 22, 2012, 06:11:11 AM »
I also remember I'll See You In My Dreams, I'm pretty sure it was a minor hit over here in Austrlia, could be wrong but the chorus pricked my ears immediately.  Seriously one of the best 80's songs ever, and simply one of the most stunning guitar solos ever, and I've only listened to the album once.

The only song I know by them.  Fantastic power ballad.

Still working my way thru my 'haul' from a couple weeks ago before I even START creating another 'list', let alone listening to new (to me) stuff.

You need to get this album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: October 25, 2012, 05:01:15 AM »
EDGUY mainman Tobias Sammet is preparing to enter VOX Klangstudio in Bendestorf, Germany with producer Sascha Paeth (KAMELOT, EDGUY, EPICA, RHAPSODY) to begin recording the new album from Sammet's AVANTASIA project for a spring 2013 release. The CD will once again be a rock opera based on a conceptual story very similar to the early AVANTASIA albums and will feature "a legion of guest instrumentalists and vocalists," according to a press release.

Commented Sammet: "The new material sounds very fresh and new and yet you can hear the old classic AVANTASIA vibe on the album. It will be an enchanting fairytale again, far away from any musical trends.

"Our latest album was our most successful album of all time, but I guess it was only that successful because it came from the heart. That's the only proven remedy I wanna stick to.

"I tried to lay down any thought of expectations, but instead just do a completely unseasonable, unfashionable and even unreasonable piece of art.

"Anyway, I feel at home when I listen to those melodies, choirs and guitars.

"I just talked to [former HELLOWEEN and current UNISONIC singer] Michi Kiske and he said that the stuff reminds him a lot of the old classic AVANTASIA material in the good old 'Keeper' style. As a fan, now that sounds even exciting to me, so the circle shuts.

"For myself, it's hard to describe the material in words. I had, and have, so many ideas that I had to restrain myself a little. Otherwise, the album would become too long, and I'm trying not to do a double album this time. However, I am really excited, and I just thought I'd let you know how excited I am."

:metal :metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #562 on: October 25, 2012, 06:27:36 AM »
Sounds good to me. Now if he only put that much passion & effort into Edguy these days.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:08 AM »
Agreed.

Just listened to the new Ten album and it didn't bowl me over.  The first three songs were killer and I thought I was in for a cracker of an album, but the middle 5 or so songs left me pretty bored.  There were a couple of songs at the end which got my attention going again though.  Will give it a few more spins to see how it goes.  The first song is absolutely incredible though.

Listening to Shadowman and The Ladder which I also got in the mail today.  Great straightforward melodic rock/aor.  Great voice, and waiting still on my FM cd.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #564 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
"Keeper style"  :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Smile in my pants for Avantasia.

Kade... the Ten album?  Is that Stormwarning, or do they have a newer one from this year (too lazy to look it up right now)?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #566 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
Smile in my pants for Avantasia.

Kade... the Ten album?  Is that Stormwarning, or do they have a newer one from this year (too lazy to look it up right now)?

Jumping in while Kade is presumably in bed!  ;D

I think he means Heresy & Creed, another new one, recorded at the same time as Stormwarning iirc. Not got this one yet but I'm guessing it sounds like Ten. Maybe if they'd just done one album with the best tracks from the two?

The game I look forward to is the "spot where I borrowed this song from?" game Gary Hughes usually has on his albums.

I do like Ten, mainly the pre Babylon stuff. They are a bit Axel Rudi Pell-like though- no surprises on their albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: October 25, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
Yeah, it's Heresy and Creed.  Although I'm pretty sure it wasn't receorded at the same time as Stormwarning as this has a bit of a lineup change.  The new guitarist is very shreddy for Ten but fits really well.

Lowdz, I get what you mean about Gary wearing his influences on his sleeve, but from what I heard on this one, there doesn't seem too much of that, besides the single Gunrunning.  It's also quite different from their regular stuff too as Gary likes to recycle his own ideas a bit too.  So it's Ten, but it sounds a bit different for them.  Check it out Lowdz, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Chad, it was released like a week ago.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #568 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »
According to someone at MR.com the song I Need You Now is a ringer for Lady Antebellum's Another Rainy Day. Don't know either song so can't comment.

The biggest culprit for me was Spellbound's Eclipse "borrowing" from Yngwie's Crystal Ball verse. Good song though.  Oh, and his song on the Bob Catley Middle Earth album which uses Baba O'Reilly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
I will have to go back and check those ones.  For me here's a list of what I've noticed;

Spellbound - Still of the Night (Whitesnake)(intro and verse)
Evermore - Over the Hills and Far Away (Gary Moore)(whole thing)
Endless Symphony - Head of Heals (Tears for Fears)(intro)
Centre of My Universe - Enter Sandman (intro)

From Gary Hughes album Veritas;

I Pray For You - Rebel Yell (Billy Idol) (verse)
I Know it's Time - Young Turks (Rod Stewart) (chorus)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:10 AM »
Oh, plus Bob Catley's Dreams rips off Bon Jovis Runaway.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #571 on: October 26, 2012, 05:58:28 AM »
Never noticed some of those before (not being a TFF fan) but yeah, they are there all right. Even has the same piano sound. And knicking Enter Sandman and expecting to get away with it takes balls.

The Gary Moore was a bit blatant too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: October 26, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »
Check the Tears For Fears one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYx8IHJ9dWE

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #573 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
Listening to some FM which I got in the mail.  Indiscreet is a wonderful light AOR album, really enjoying it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #575 on: October 26, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Listening to some FM which I got in the mail.  Indiscreet is a wonderful light AOR album, really enjoying it.

Yeah, agreed. Probably prefer it now than back in the day as it didn't have enough guitars for me then. Good songs, well performed though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: October 26, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
That's one thing I instantly noticed, but it's not a big deal, the songs have a nice balance and great atmosphere.  Tough it Out is good too, more guitars but I think this early on I prefer the debut.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #577 on: October 26, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »
That's one thing I instantly noticed, but it's not a big deal, the songs have a nice balance and great atmosphere.  Tough it Out is good too, more guitars but I think this early on I prefer the debut.

Got a couple of the singles from TIO- Bad Luck was pretty good- but don't think I ever got the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
Bad Luck is probably the best song on there I'd say.

Also, speaking of Steve Overland, the album Sacred by The Ladder is pretty killer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:57 AM »
Just got my copy of Mood Swings in the mail.  Also contains the EP, If There Was A Time, which has a few live tracks.  Although they have put that one song on the same cd twice, weird.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:08 AM »
Just got my copy of Mood Swings in the mail.  Also contains the EP, If There Was A Time, which has a few live tracks.  Although they have put that one song on the same cd twice, weird.

Enjoy.  I was just listening to Human Nature yesterday.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: October 29, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
No Justice is absolutely incredible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: October 29, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: October 29, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
I'm sorry, what band are we talking about?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #584 on: October 29, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »
That would be Harem Scarem. Great band.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: October 29, 2012, 07:04:28 AM »

I waffle between this and Saviour's Never Cry as my fave.  Had Enough is a fantastic closer too!  Man, what a great album.  A+ start to finish.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #586 on: October 29, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »

I waffle between this and Saviour's Never Cry as my fave.  Had Enough is a fantastic closer too!  Man, what a great album.  A+ start to finish.

Almost a perfect album. There's just that verse bit in Change Comes Around- the chukka chukka "This is my rollercoaster" bit that I just detest. Spoils a great song.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: October 29, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »

Almost a perfect album. There's just that verse bit in Change Comes Around- the chukka chukka "This is my rollercoaster" bit that I just detest. Spoils a great song.

I kinda like that scratchy riff.

Listening to Voice of Reason right now.  It's as bad as I remembered it to be.  What a disappointment after Mood Swings.  No wonder I bailed on them until getting caught up on their post VoR output last year.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #588 on: October 29, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

I kinda like that scratchy riff.

Listening to Voice of Reason right now.  It's as bad as I remembered it to be.  What a disappointment after Mood Swings.  No wonder I bailed on them until getting caught up on their post VoR output last year.

First album I heard by them was Weight Of The World- so I missed all that "Mood Swings is awesome" hype. It is awesome, but I don't have those special feelings attached to it like other albums from the time that I lived through. VoR is poor though. And forget the rubber years. WOTW onwards is great though. By their last album it was getting pretty samey though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:03 AM »
Managed to sneak a couple more spins of Mood Swings while at work today since things were a little quieter.  Really terrifc album, there's really nothing that I don't enjoy at all, and lots of variety too. 

Going back and getting out the other cd's I own; Live at the Gods, Hope and Overload.  I remember liking them but now I'm in a more focused frame of mind to really take them in.  I'm listening to Live at the Gods now.  The songs are good, but not the best performances, the vocals are pretty rough.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #590 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »
Yeah, I was at the Gods that year. They were ok but not great. I didn't know any of the songs at the time.

Saw them again a couple of years or so later at Firefest and again they were only ok. Harry seemed a bit flat vocal-wise both times. He's not a great frontman either- comes across a bit stiff on stage. He's a big bloke so I guess it's a bit more difficult. In the studio he is great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: October 30, 2012, 05:56:18 AM »
Yeah, some of the performances on Mood Swings are just stellar.

I'm actually still really enjoying his solo album Living in Yesterday, great simple songs all the way through, will probably make my top 10 of the year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: November 01, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
Listening to Saviors Never Cry now. Wow, this is pretty good. A great vibe to it. I will definitely investigate further. Is Mood Swings a 2012 album? How many albums do they have?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #593 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »
Listening to Saviors Never Cry now. Wow, this is pretty good. A great vibe to it. I will definitely investigate further. Is Mood Swings a 2012 album? How many albums do they have?

Mood Swings in an early 90s album. they have 12 albums, a couple of which come under the band name Rubber when they went a bit Grunge-y/Nu Metal. First album was excellent AOR, Mood Swings was second and raised the bar. Things went downhill for a while then Weight Of The World in the early 00s got them back on track. Higher and Overload followed and were excellent, then they stagnated a bit over the next couple- though they were still good albums. Then they split.

The guitarist, Pete Lesperance, released an excellent album a few years ago called Down In It that's worth checking out.

History lesson over!  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: November 01, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
OK, they sounded late 80's anyway so that all makes sense. I tried a couple more songs but they didn't quite hold up. I'll keep checking.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:12:34 PM by TAC »