Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564505 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #490 on: October 08, 2012, 05:30:48 AM »
Discovered this gem over the weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777ujZoPh4A

The album isn't really that much melodic rock, but this track is pretty swell.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #491 on: October 08, 2012, 05:44:02 AM »
Listening to the new Pride of Lions album that I just received in the mail.  Damn, this is some cheesy shit. These songs would even make Journey laugh, and I'm only four songs in.

Oy, back off from Journey, pal! :getoffmylawn:

The Jimi Jamison is good but not as good as Eclipse.

I didn't think this was out yet? And after several listens, I still don't see the big deal with the new Eclipse album. It's not bad, but it doesn't do much for me overall.  :dunno:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
Ring of Fire is actually one of the first prog metal/melodic neoclassical crossover bands I ever discovered, many many years ago.  Absolutely incredible musicianship and performances.  The band has Mark Boals, Tony Macalpine, Phillip Bynoe, Virgil Donati, Vitalij Kuprij and also featured George Bellas at one point.  Every album is decent and very different from one another.  The first album is actually under Mark Boals' name and the album is called Ring of Fire.  That is one hell of an album.

The Oracle is darker and is probably my fav out of the four.  Dreamtower is more melodic rock which consists of the song you posted.  The last one IMO was average, but a decent listen.  The live DVD is absolutely incredible;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whx3z7AnV3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtZXuZW5Clw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2RF6D6wIE

A really under appreciated band.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: October 08, 2012, 05:49:53 AM »
Listening to the new Pride of Lions album that I just received in the mail.  Damn, this is some cheesy shit. These songs would even make Journey laugh, and I'm only four songs in.

As I type, Shine On is pretty good.

I've had a listen and it is too cheesy even for me. I think peterik is aiming for Lloyd Webber territory and over-shooting. Camp with a side order of camp.
The new Bonrud album is class though. Tougher-sounding than the 1st album.

Gonna hold off until the release to hear Jimi, but I really don't expect it to beat Bleed and Scream.

Never heard of Bonrud.

And year, this album is like a fucking musical.

Oy, back off from Journey, pal! :getoffmylawn:

I didn't think this was out yet? And after several listens, I still don't see the big deal with the new Eclipse album. It's not bad, but it doesn't do much for me overall.  :dunno:

Love Journey a lot, just trying to point out how fucking cheesy this album is, even for me.

I can see how people wouldn't go crazy over Bleed and Scream, but I love it personally, top 5 of the year.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #494 on: October 08, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »
Ring of Fire is actually one of the first prog metal/melodic neoclassical crossover bands I ever discovered, many many years ago.  Absolutely incredible musicianship and performances.  The band has Mark Boals, Tony Macalpine, Phillip Bynoe, Virgil Donati, Vitalij Kuprij and also featured George Bellas at one point.  Every album is decent and very different from one another.  The first album is actually under Mark Boals' name and the album is called Ring of Fire.  That is one hell of an album.

The Oracle is darker and is probably my fav out of the four.  Dreamtower is more melodic rock which consists of the song you posted.  The last one IMO was average, but a decent listen.  The live DVD is absolutely incredible;

I find the DVD to be a little heavy on the solos. I mean, a guitar, keyboard, bass and drum solo on their first live DVD? It's really great performance-wise, but a little too much. I mean, nearly thirty minutes of solos? I don't really need that, tbh.

Oh, and I need to get Oracle. I only know Circle of Time and the title track really well, but those are really awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: October 08, 2012, 05:55:44 AM »
Love Journey a lot, just trying to point out how fucking cheesy this album is, even for me.

Well cheese is delicious. :symphonyx:

I can see how people wouldn't go crazy over Bleed and Scream, but I love it personally, top 5 of the year.

And I can see how you'd love it, as it is a consistently good album, it's just that for me personally it wasn't great. Each to his own. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: October 08, 2012, 06:00:46 AM »

I find the DVD to be a little heavy on the solos. I mean, a guitar, keyboard, bass and drum solo on their first live DVD? It's really great performance-wise, but a little too much. I mean, nearly thirty minutes of solos? I don't really need that, tbh.

Oh, and I need to get Oracle. I only know Circle of Time and the title track really well, but those are really awesome.

Well, it is a band filled with virtuosos, so solo are gonna happen.  Saying that, I'm not a fan of solos in concerts, but the guitar, drums and keyboard sections are all incredible and I love watching them.

Saying that, this DVD was after the Oracle, so they didn't ventue into more melodic rock until the next album.  Check them all out and see what you think, they are simply an incredible band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:42 AM »

Well cheese is delicious. :symphonyx:

And I can see how you'd love it, as it is a consistently good album, it's just that for me personally it wasn't great. Each to his own. :tup

Cheese is amazing, but this Pride of Lions is like a 5 cheese overload, it's just too much.

Still check out the Toby Hitchcock album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: October 08, 2012, 06:05:17 AM »
Okay, after the first full listen of Pride of Lions, I really only have four songs that I enjoy; Shine On, Vital Signs, If It Doesn't Kill Me and Ask Me Yesterday.  The rest is a cheese factory.  I appreciate more guitar work though than the other POL albums.

Shine On however could become a classic AOR track, it's wonderful.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: October 08, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Well, it is a band filled with virtuosos, so solo are gonna happen.  Saying that, I'm not a fan of solos in concerts, but the guitar, drums and keyboard sections are all incredible and I love watching them.

True, but many of the solos in the songs themselves are superior to the solo spots imho, because they offer the solos a certain framework, so to sepak.

Saying that, this DVD was after the Oracle, so they didn't ventue into more melodic rock until the next album.  Check them all out and see what you think, they are simply an incredible band.

I'm currently listening to Oracle, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing, though it is very different to Dreamtower. I prefer McAlpine to Bellas, personally, but they are both incredible players and Bellas does a great job on Oracle, imho. Circle of Time and Samurai are my favourite as of now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: October 08, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »
I need to check out Ring Of Fire. Sounds like a can't miss.

I really only know Bellas from the first Mogg/Way album, and he's pretty good on that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #501 on: October 08, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
Start with Circle of Time, and if you like it, work yourself through their stuff from there.

Or the link that I posted earlier, for My Deja Vu, which is less power metal and more melodic rock stuff. Your call.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: October 08, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
Just finished with The Oracle, and it's a great album from start to finish. Circle of Time remains my favourite, but the title track, Samurai, City of Dead and Take Me Home are all masterpiece in their own right. :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: October 08, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »
I've always meant to check out Ring of Fire more too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »

True, but many of the solos in the songs themselves are superior to the solo spots imho, because they offer the solos a certain framework, so to sepak.

I'm currently listening to Oracle, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing, though it is very different to Dreamtower. I prefer McAlpine to Bellas, personally, but they are both incredible players and Bellas does a great job on Oracle, imho. Circle of Time and Samurai are my favourite as of now.

With your solo statement, that can be said for most bands that have solo spots IMO.

I prefer Macalpine too, he is one of my top 5 guitarists of all time, but I think Bellas fits the style of Oracle really well.  I would have liked to hear what Macalpine would have done but I'm a big Bellas fan too. 

Just finished with The Oracle, and it's a great album from start to finish. Circle of Time remains my favourite, but the title track, Samurai, City of Dead and Take Me Home are all masterpiece in their own right. :metal :metal

Those first three songs you mentioned are my favs too along with Vengeance For Blood.  Bellas' solo on that is incredible.

I need to check out Ring Of Fire. Sounds like a can't miss.

I really only know Bellas from the first Mogg/Way album, and he's pretty good on that.

I've always meant to check that Mogg/Way cause I always knew Bellas played on that.

I've always meant to check out Ring of Fire more too.

Do it man.

Loving this appreciation of ROF.  Check Mark Boals, Ring of Fire too, great album.  It has Atlantis, Keeper of the Flame, Dreamer and heaps of other great songs.

Check Mark Boals second album too Edge of the World, that's more melodic rock too and has Macalpine and Donati on a lot of tracks, and was a fav of mine for a long time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: October 10, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »
just listened to the new Dokken for the first time.  Hmm...not bad, but pretty mild.  I expected more from Empire but unfortunately that's the fastest and heaviest song on the album, the rest of the album is mid tempo.  A couple of rockers at the end, but Don sounds really tired and his vocals simply aren't what they use to be.

It deserves more listens though as there is some potential for it to grow.  Don can't even do his own backing vocals, Mark Boals does all backing vocals and harmonies from what I could hear.  Mark does wonderful work though and gives the album a little variety in the vocal department.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #506 on: October 10, 2012, 06:38:10 AM »
just listened to the new Dokken for the first time.  Hmm...not bad, but pretty mild.  I expected more from Empire but unfortunately that's the fastest and heaviest song on the album, the rest of the album is mid tempo.  A couple of rockers at the end, but Don sounds really tired and his vocals simply aren't what they use to be.

It deserves more listens though as there is some potential for it to grow.  Don can't even do his own backing vocals, Mark Boals does all backing vocals and harmonies from what I could hear.  Mark does wonderful work though and gives the album a little variety in the vocal department.

It's definitly held back by DD's inability to let loose because of his voice issues. Maybe he should've just let Mark Boals sing the leads. and him do the harmonies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
At least then the songs would have had more life to them.  I think it could be a grower but not a home run of an album I'm afraid.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: October 10, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
It's a solid disc, nothing spectacular though. I feel the same way about the new Kiss. Neither the new Dokken or new Kiss will be go to discs for me; I'll only play them once in a while. I think if Dokken took the best songs from broken bones and lightning strikes again and condensed them into one disc, that would be a killer album. Some filler on both that bring them both down a notch. And yeah, Don is struggling at times vocally.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #509 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »
Im not sure why anyone would waste their time on the new Dokken, no offence, guys. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2012, 04:15:36 AM »
I think if Dokken took the best songs from broken bones and lightning strikes again and condensed them into one disc, that would be a killer album. Some filler on both that bring them both down a notch.

Totally agee.

Im not sure why anyone would waste their time on the new Dokken, no offence, guys. :)

Why?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: October 11, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »
Well, I'm just reading the comments that you guys are making and I'm thinking, how can any of this be a surprise. I'm sure that I would have the exact same sentiment, but I'll hang on to my 12 bucks, thank you very much.
But that's me. I've never been a big fan anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: October 11, 2012, 06:18:16 AM »
Well I've always been a fan of Don and the last album was worth a listen so I had no hesitation buying it.  I actually just listened to it again and it was a lot better the second time around.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #513 on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
That's cool. :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #514 on: October 11, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
I'm really enjoying most of the new KISS. Paul, like Don, is struggling but he is at least able to "give it some welly" as we say here in the north of England. I like the 70s KISS vibe. Gene puts in a very good performance.

I've not bought the Dokken- Spotify has saved me a few quid there. Shame as it could be a decent effort with better vocals. It was never going to be up there with T&N, UL&K and BFTA.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #515 on: October 11, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
But the thing is..I trust Paul. He's going to give it whatever he's got. I'm just not sold on Don Dokken.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
But the thing is..I trust Paul. He's going to give it whatever he's got. I'm just not sold on Don Dokken.

Paul Stanley is a hero of mine and he's never let me down- apart from Carnival Of Souls. Now that was a mistake.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
I'm really enjoying most of the new KISS. Paul, like Don, is struggling but he is at least able to "give it some welly" as we say here in the north of England. I like the 70s KISS vibe. Gene puts in a very good performance.

I've not bought the Dokken- Spotify has saved me a few quid there. Shame as it could be a decent effort with better vocals. It was never going to be up there with T&N, UL&K and BFTA.

Speaking of T&N, I'm looking forward to the new album from these guys, should be interesting.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »

Speaking of T&N, I'm looking forward to the new album from these guys, should be interesting.

From the reports I've heard it would be best not to get your hopes up  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
I listened to the samples of the new T&N.  I was looking forward to it, but now not so much after hearing the samples.  The Ripper and Sebastian Bach songs are very good.  The rest, meh.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »

I like the new KISS album too, although probably not quite as much as the last one. Paul's voice has sounded really harsh the past few years, but he's still got the range there, and still gives a good performance.
From what I've heard of recent Dokken, his voice is pretty poor. There's just no range there at all, and his voice is rough and weak.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: October 12, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »

From the reports I've heard it would be best not to get your hopes up  ;D

:-[

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:07 AM »
Just stumbled across FM, with Andy Barnett from Maiden's side group during the SIT era.  Never knew That Girl was their song.  Listened to a couple of songs and they are amazing.  Anyone knoe FM??

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #523 on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Just stumbled across FM, with Andy Barnett from Maiden's side group during the SIT era.  Never knew That Girl was their song.  Listened to a couple of songs and they are amazing.  Anyone knoe FM??

Back in the mists of time I saw them it seemed like every week as they seemed to support every band touring in the UK. First album was very safe AOR, but some great songs on it. With the addition of Andy Barnet the sound toughened a bit and got less keyboard heavy (if that's not a contradiction in terms) and got a bit of a bluesier edge. Steve Overland has a great voice- very soulful and not annoying like Glenn Hughes'.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
Very I liked Steve Overlands voice instantly.  So, what album is the best to start with?