Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568778 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #455 on: September 04, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
Really enjoying the new Harry Hess too.  it's light, poppy but very melodic with some great performances.  The songs are short and too the point, and it's just a great pop rock record overall. 

Since I've never really gotten into Harem Scarem that much I took out the only two albums I have from them and am giving them a listen with new ears.  I have Overload and Hope.  I also have Live at the Gods too.  I need to get some of their older stuff I know.

Mood Swings is mandatory.  Absolutely MANDATORY. Their s/t is very good too, but on the lighter side.   I'd avoid Voice of Reason for the time being.

Cool, gonna try those two next.  The two I have a damn solid rock, good stuff.

What's all this about Eclipse? Never heard of them. What is the new album's title?

Go and get it now!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
I missed out on Harem Scarem bck in the day (yeah- it happened... ;D).
First album I got was Weight Of The World and then Higher and Overload, all of which I prefer to Mood Swings, but only just. I know that's not the general consensus. Great band, though the "lost years" from 95-01 weren't so good.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: September 05, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
I'm only familiar with Mood Swings(its amazing).  I heard they changed their sound after MS, Chad would probably know best.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »
No, they still went by HS for Voice of Reason, and I think for Karma Cleansing.  Rubber and Ultra Feel were released under the name Rubber - but (i believe) still HS in Japan since they were so well known there.

Great band, though the "lost years" from 95-01 weren't so good.

Understatement of the day.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #459 on: September 08, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
I have Eclipse - Are You Ready to Rock from 2008, and thought it was ok, but never really got into it. I figured I'd give the new album a try after seeing this thread.
I'm currently 4 songs into it, and I like it a little more than the other one so far. I'll definitely give it a few spins and see what I think. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: September 09, 2012, 04:49:03 AM »
Are You Ready to Rock was great IMO, but Bleed and Scream is much better, the songwriting is more mature and focused and the performances and production are top notch.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: September 09, 2012, 05:00:38 AM »
I've listened to Bleed and Scream a couple of times so far, and I've enjoyed it. Nothing has really jumped out at me yet, but it's worth another few spins.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: September 15, 2012, 05:35:15 PM »
Have found Work Of Art through a friend and have been enjoying their album In Progress alot the last couple of days.

Work Of Art - The Rain
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: September 15, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
Have found Work Of Art through a friend and have been enjoying their album In Progress alot the last couple of days.

Work Of Art - The Rain

Top 5 album of last year, and one of the inspirations why I made this thread in the first place.  Absolutely incredible album, just listened to it the other day, every song is melodic rock heaven.  The first album is amazing also, but I'd take In Progress over it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
Top 5 album of last year, and one of the inspirations why I made this thread in the first place.  Absolutely incredible album, just listened to it the other day, every song is melodic rock heaven.  The first album is amazing also, but I'd take In Progress over it.
Cool to hear!  :tup Yea those melodies are like pure heaven!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #466 on: September 15, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »

Work Of Art - The Rain

Sounds like another Magnificent. Sweet!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: September 16, 2012, 02:38:48 AM »
Similar style, yes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: September 16, 2012, 03:32:26 AM »

This is simply excellent, thanks Scorpion!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
JIMI JAMISON – ONE OF MELODIC ROCK'S MOST LEGENDARY VOICES – RETURNS WITH HIS NEW SOLO ALBUM:
Frontiers Records is excited to announce the release of Jimi Jamison's new solo album Never Too Late on November 2 in Europe and November the 6 in North America.
Often referred to as one of the American top Rock vocalists, Jimi Jamison has been the singer with Target, Cobra and finally Survivor – who rejoined in late 2011 - for more than a decade, apart from being an accomplished solo artist on his own.
Jimi performed back up vocals on recordings by ZZ Top, Joe Walsh and numerous other recording artists. Billy Gibbons refers to Jimi as the fourth member of ZZ Top and Casey Kasem, on his nationally syndicated radio show American Top 40, referred to Jimi Jamison as “The Voice”. Among Jamison's best known performances are "Burning Heart", from the Rocky IV movie which hit #2 on the Billboard Charts, "High On You" (#8), and "The Search Is Over" (#4).

His solo career started in 1991 with the release of “When Love Comes Down” followed in 1999 by “Empires”, the album which included the theme, "I'm Always Here" for Baywatch. In 2008 Jamison teamed up with the other former Survivor bandmate, Jim Peterik who wrote and produced for him the acclaimed album “Crossroads Moment”. On the heels of this superb release, Jimi toured Europe a few times and culminated with an appearance at the popular Firefest in the UK in 2011.
In the meanwhile Jamison started to work together with Swedish songwriter and producer Erik Mårtensson (W.E.T., Eclipse etc), who had met “virtually” while working on the successful Kimball Jamison duet album to which Mårtensson had contributed with some songwriting. They started laying down the foundations for a new solo album backed immediately by the enthusiasm of Frontiers Records President, Serafino Perugino.

The release took a good part of 2011 and 2012 to be completed, but the final results shine! This is truly a monumental Melodic Rock album, where a stunning contemporary Melodic Rock songwriting meets Jamison's stunning vocal abilities and a massive production. This album rocks really hard at times; that's probably the heaviest Jamison has ever been involved with since the times of Cobra. Still the melodies are going to haunt you and stay in your mind for a long time.
“The songs on this cd are truly some of the strongest of my career” says Jamison. “It's a great pleasure to have songs with such power and ballads with such truth and feeling. It makes it easy to realize the emotion in each vocal. This is my favorite cd to date and "The Air I Breathe" is the most magic song for me. A track like this only comes along once in a while. Erik really hit the mark here. Brilliant writing.”
Get ready for a monster of an album and a true Melodic Rock masterpiece!

Never Too Late tracklisting includes: Everybody's Got A Broken Heart; The Great Unknown; Never Too Late; I Can't Turn Back; Street Survivor; The Air I Breathe; Not Tonight; Calling The Game; Bullet In The Gun; Heaven Call Your Name; Walk On (Wildest Dreams).
The first single off the album – the title track “Never Too Late” - can be streamed in full on the Frontiers webradio www.frontiers.it/webradio.

Jimi Jamison: Jimi Jamison - Lead Vocals; Erik Mårtensson - Lead & Rhythm Guitar. Bass, Keyboards & Backing Vocals; Magnus Ulfstedt - Drums; Jonas Öijvall - Hammond B3, Piano & Analog Synthesizers; Magnus Henriksson - Lead Guitar on "Street Survivor" & "Heaven Call Your Name".

:metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
Boy, those song titles read like Jamison era Survivor song titles. I actually had to check a few of those. :lol

I checked out some samples on the intertubes, and it sounded promising. Not metally like a lot of modern melodic rock albums are, and Jamison's voice is sounding great. I'll have to pick this one up.
And after reading their PR blurb, now I want to check out a bunch of his other past albums they mentioned too. :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm not that familar with his past work either and will probably look into it more.  Basically here, we have a great voice with some killer songs written by Martensson.  I think we are in for another solid album.

Blob, you should check Toby's Hitchcock's album.  Also entirely created by Erik Martensson, it's amazing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
Love his voice and love his work with Survivor. There is a Survivor album in my top 50. I enjoyed the Kimball/Jamison album from a couple of years ago.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
You guys remember Jameson's pre Surviver band, Cobra?
The First Strike album was awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
Love his voice and love his work with Survivor. There is a Survivor album in my top 50. I enjoyed the Kimball/Jamison album from a couple of years ago.

Waiting for this top 50.  And yes, the Kimball/Jamison album was a nice slice of AOR.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #475 on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
Don't think there'll be anything of a surprise left by then as I keep recommending albums here.  ;D
Keep listening to albums and thinking they have to go in the 50 but can't bear to leave any out that are there now. May have to start on a v.2 now and put all those in there.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #476 on: September 23, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
Just make it your Top 100, like Nick did. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:21 AM »
Lowdz, asked you in the haul thread, but how is the new Magnum?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #478 on: September 24, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
Lowdz, asked you in the haul thread, but how is the new Magnum?

It's ok. Listened to it a couple of times so far and it seems better than any of the reunion albums, but I haven't loved any of them- they've just been decent albums for me. It's not going to knock the 80s albums off their perch but sounds better than anything post Wings so far.
Bob's Gary Hughes written albums are bbetter than anything Magnum have done since WoH for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 24, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »
I've enjoyed the reunion albums too, nothing much more.  Moonking was probably the best of the bunch, with Alice being a close second.  If you say it's the best of the reunions, then I should like it.

I agree, The Tower, Spirit of Man, When Empires Burn and Immortal are all better than anything that Magnum have done since the late eighties.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »
I haven't put much effort into the newer albums- nothing really stuck out. This one seems to have some bigger choruses. The songs just don't seem to have any breathing room these days.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #481 on: September 27, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm not that familar with his past work either and will probably look into it more.  Basically here, we have a great voice with some killer songs written by Martensson.  I think we are in for another solid album.

Blob, you should check Toby's Hitchcock's album.  Also entirely created by Erik Martensson, it's amazing.

The samples on Melodicrock.com a couple of days ago sound awesome. Could be even better than the Eclipse album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »
It's gonna be hard to top Eclipse, but the samples do sound incredible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: October 02, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
FYI ... Progstreaming.com is streaming Magnum - On The 13th Day (for 13 days only!). Probably only 12 days now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »
FYI ... Progstreaming.com is streaming Magnum - On The 13th Day (for 13 days only!). Probably only 12 days now.

Should be receiving this album this week.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: October 05, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »
I think I may have posted Neonfly before, but with the Magnum talk, it seems highly appropriate since they're opening for Magnum on this tour (they opened for Pagan's Mind last year).  If you don't know them, invest 4 minutes for the YT link below.  One of my favorites (easily Top 10.... maybe Top 5) in the past couple of years.  The album is A++ from top to bottom.  The Messenger is my favorite.

A Gift To Remember

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:36 AM »
Hmm, not bad on the first listen, sounds like it could grow.  Will have to check out some other songs on the album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
That actually is one of the weaker songs on the album.  I recommend the following:

The Messenger

The Ornament - killer instrumental

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: October 08, 2012, 05:19:31 AM »
Listening to the new Pride of Lions album that I just received in the mail.  Damn, this is some cheesy shit. These songs would even make Journey laugh, and I'm only four songs in.

As I type, Shine On is pretty good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #489 on: October 08, 2012, 05:29:41 AM »
Listening to the new Pride of Lions album that I just received in the mail.  Damn, this is some cheesy shit. These songs would even make Journey laugh, and I'm only four songs in.

As I type, Shine On is pretty good.

I've had a listen and it is too cheesy even for me. I think peterik is aiming for Lloyd Webber territory and over-shooting. Camp with a side order of camp.
The new Bonrud album is class though. Tougher-sounding than the 1st album.
The Jimi Jamison is good but not as good as Eclipse.