Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564237 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2012, 06:01:55 AM »
Thank god for Spotify and Grooveshark and the like.  Otherwise, I'd have a 2000+ CD collection with a lot of it gathering dust too!

Yeah, this week I have made the decision from now on I am only buying new release cd's.  :lol Not that makes much of a difference with the amount of stuff still to come that I want;

Eclipse
Harry Hess
Pride of Lions
Threshold
Testament
Beardfish
Steve Vai
Grave Digger
Tremonti
Black Majesty
Lord
Katatonia

God damn.

Oh, and I think there was suppose to be a new WET album this year, but I haven't read anything about it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:22 AM »
Yeah, I just saw the teaser clip from that at Frontier.  Is that your home page?   :lol

Thankfully, not all of those bands above wet my appetite.  The first four, and that's about it.  Still getting thru the Lord back catalog.  Same with WET (even though it's only one album!).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
Must of missed this somehow;

PRIDE OF LIONS WILL BE IMMORTAL:
Frontiers Records is excited to announce the return of Pride Of Lions with the release of their anticipated fourth studio album entitled Immortal on September 21 in Europe and September 24 in North America.
The 11 tracks new album is everything Melodic Rock fans expect from these guys: powerful vocals from Toby Hitchcock and Jim Peterik, amazing music from the Pride Of Lions band and guest musicians, and of course epic songs from the pen of Grammy-winning songwriter and founding member of Survivor, Jim Peterik.

"After producing and writing the songs for Jimi Jamison's wonderful 2009 release, "Crossroads Moment", I needed a minute or two to get my juices back flowing in the direction of writing a great new Pride Of Lions record. When Toby decided to do his solo album, this was the perfect time for reflection. Once I started writing, the flood gates just opened up. I feel this is the cd to put POL on the map once and for all" says Peterik.
Indeed all the pieces are there that made Pride Of Lions the group to watch back in 2003 with their self-titled debut record on Frontiers. Timeless songs such as "It's Criminal", "Sound Of Home" and "Gone" are still on the i-pods and cd players of thousands of rock fans worldwide, but Toby Hitchcock's voice this time has gained a new maturity and depth while sacrificing none of his incredible 4 octave range.
"When I was approached by Serafino Perugino (Frontiers Records President and guiding light) to do the next POL record I knew he wouldn't settle for less than my very best as a songwriter and producer. I couldn't let him or the fans down - so I really got down to business," continues Jim.

The results speak for themselves. Joined again by Jim's long time musical partner Larry Millas the album is a sonic powerhouse. Back up vocals are supplied by Thom Griffin ex of Trillion and a new rock tenor on the scene Marc Scherer. The title track is sheer POL magic "Immortal" with its key line: "For the thousand times we fail, it's the one thing we did right, that leaves a mark forever on this world- and makes us Immortal."
"Delusional", another key cut (chosen to become the first single and music video) tackles the subject of the way we as a people overprescribe medication to young people that may be a bit different from the norm, to make them conform with the status quo- thus choking off their brilliant uniqueness.
Of course the power ballads are there as always: "Everything Money Can't Buy", the melancholy gem, "Are You The Same Girl" and "Sending My Love".

"For me," states Toby Hitchcock, "the pivotal song on this cd is "Sending My Love". I'm a sucker for a great ballad and this one spoke to my soul. Being a new father, it gets more and more heartbreaking to be away from my loved ones on the road. I love the road, don't get me wrong, but its tough being separated from them as well."
The rockers, of course, rock as hard as ever. The album's closer, "Ask Me Yesterday" explores the natural wisdom we seem to lose over time. "If It Doesn't Kill me" explores the Nietzschian quote: "What doesn't kill me- makes me stronger!"

"Another strong rocker, in my opinion, is "Vital Signs," says Peterik. "It's a song I started back in 1984 while making Vital Signs with Survivor. I often like to have a song be the title cut- ie When Seconds Count, Eye Of The Tiger, Too Hot To Sleep, Caught In The Game etc. But this time I couldn't quite finish this tune- until finally this year."
"Immortal" is a vital album (pun intended) for POL. "We hope to finally break big in our own country- the USA. It's great having the world wide profile that we do - when Toby and I walk the streets of Barcelona the people point and shout- Pride Of Lions! I'd like that to happen in Cincinnati!" concludes Jim Peterik.

Some big shows are currently being set up for Pride Of Lions including a show with Styx in the Chicago area around the time of this release.
So enjoy another epic album from a band that is more than a flash in the pan project. Pride of Lions is the real thing - and they are here to stay!

Immortal tracklisting includes: Immortal; Delusional; Tie Down The Wind; Shine On; Everything That Money Can't Buy; Coin Of The Realm; Sending My Love; Vital Signs; If It Doesn't Kill Me; Are You The Same Girl; Ask Me Yesterday.
The first single "Delusional" will be available for digital purchase only on September 5. A videoclip will be made available soon � an album trailer is available now: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CcRwjOmIOA&.
WebLinks: aprideoflions.com / www.frontiers.it.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »
sounds cool

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
Great band if you are into that sort of music.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
I am excite!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
I guess now is as good a time as any...

I had a Melodic Rock band called Line Of Fire..we released 2 albums on Tribunal Records...

https://www.reverbnation.com/lof

We were usually compared to bands like Journey, Firehouse, Boston & Def Leppard...but I'll let ya'll decide that.  :biggrin:

Also, if I'm overstepping my bounds my posting this here, feel free to kick my ass.  :blush

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
Not at all over-stepping.  Listening now.  Like the first 30 seconds so far.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »

I had a Melodic Rock band called Line Of Fire..we released 2 albums on Tribunal Records...

We were usually compared to bands like Journey, Firehouse, Boston & Def Leppard...but I'll let ya'll decide that.  :biggrin:

Also, if I'm overstepping my bounds my posting this here, feel free to kick my ass.  :blush

Was going to mention Momentum here at some stage. Really good album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

Was going to mention Momentum here at some stage. Really good album.

Hey, I have Momentum! I never really got into it because of the rough production unfortunately, but I liked the songwriting and performance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
Cool! Thanks guys!  :tup

I usually just assume that nobody's ever heard of us, so it's cool to find out I'm wrong.  :biggrin:

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #431 on: August 18, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
If anyone's interested, we recorded a Queensryche cover for the label...they did a comp of their bands doing covers...we did "I Will Remember"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CrFeDe8_0

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: August 19, 2012, 05:24:52 AM »

Never over stepping mate, we love all new music suggestions around here, right Chad?  ;)

Having a quick listen now but will listen a bit more tomorrow.  Good vocals and a nice classic sound overall, sounding great so far.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2012, 05:35:45 AM »
Had a listen to both albums on Spotify.  Liked the s/t  better than Momentum.  Both pretty nice though.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #434 on: August 19, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »
I appreciate it guys...thank you!  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: August 22, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
Big melodicrock update!

https://www.melodicrock.com/

COMING UP - MORE GREAT MELODIC MUSIC:
2012 has been another solid year for music, but by far it seems the last few months of the year are set to be the hottest of all. There are some truly amazing released lined up for melodic rock fans and I'm excited to be able to start talking about some of them. I've spent the last week with some really outstanding melodic rock music - the quality of which makes me very happy for this scene. I think there's going to be a lot of empty wallets out there.

Let's start with the great Jimi Jamison. Jimi's new album is Never Too Late and is written, produced, performed (with band) and mixed by the man of the moment Erik Martensson (Eclipse, WET, Toby Hitchcock). And what a result! High expectations as I have for everything Erik related, but this is another ridiculously great sounding album. I love Crossroads Moment, but this is a little different again is one of the best albums I have heard with Jimi's name on it since the 80s.
This is a little different for both Jimi and Erik. For Jimi it really sounds like an album written for him. It's a naturally 80s style melodic rock record, but with a great up to date production and the feel of a record that you've heard before...while being totally new and fresh. Jimi's vocals are simply amazing and it is a 100% straight ahead melodic record with a huge Survivor influence.
And Erik - he has written specifically for Jimi and the album is pure melodic rock - not as intense as the Toby Hitchcock album and more 80s than the WET record.
And the album is stacked with anthems - keep an ear out for the opening track Everybody's Got A Broken Heart plus other instant classics like Never Too Late, The Air I Breathe, Not Tonight and Heaven Call Your Name. This is one really special record.
The album is released in Europe November 2 and USA November 6 via Frontiers.

Are you ready for a preview of another wonderful melodic rock album? Pride Of Lions (Jim Peterik & Toby Hitchcock) have gone back to the solid melodic base of their acclaimed debut album for another amazing collection of songs featuring the Song Of The Year nominees-to-be Immortal, Tie Down The Wind, Shine On, If It Doesn't Kill Me and Vital Signs.
And there's one more song - the lead single Delusional, which was my instant pick as an album highlight. Pride Of Lions Immortal is released in Europe September 21 and USA on the 25th.
You can download a special extended sample of the song right now - Pride Of Lions - Delusional.
If you want to hear the whole song, it's streaming in full from the Paradise Artists page for POL - paradiseartists.com/artists/pride_of_lions/index.html.

I know I don't have to preface any talk of a new Rick Springfield release with how much I personally anticipate each one. The last two albums were very different (brilliant) beasts, and both made powerful statements, so I'm going completely mad waiting for a taste of the album - Songs For The End Of The World. Hopefully soon. I am told "it smokes" and Rick himself alluded to it being a little more "technical" and a mix of Shock Denial Anger Acceptance and Venus In Overdrive and management told me it was "a kickass album".
The US release is out October 9 and I can today confirm that Frontiers Records will release the album November 2 with one exclusive bonus track!

Night Ranger are back in action October 19 with a CD/DVD release of their 30th Anniversary celebratory performance in California - unplugged and live. The album - 24 Strings And A Drummer - is a greatest hits live package, but with a difference. This has to be the best acoustic album I have heard since Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam. It just oozes energy and atmosphere, with a small crowd of friends and fans gathered.
Here's the track list - This Boy Needs To Rock, When You Close Your Eyes, Sing Me Away, Growing Up In California, The Secret Of My Success, Sentimental Street, Four In The Morning, Let Him Run - Goodbye, Forever All Over Again, Don't Tell Me You Love Me, Sister Christian, (You Can Still) Rock In America and Boys Of Summer (bonus track)(Don Henley cover - CD only).
As you can see, it's the bands current set list more or less, but there's still a few surprises within the songs - different arrangements and some absolutely smoking acoustic solos. Astounding even! I think all Night Ranger fans are going to love this release.

The hype has been building surrounding the sophomore Vega release, following their acclaimed debut Kiss Of Life. Universal Music will be releasing the new album What The Hell in the next few months. But I've just had a chance to hear the whole thing and am completely blown away. It has exceeded all expectations I had and to be honest, it is such a momentous leap from the debut that I had to wonder if it was the same band I was listening to. Of course it was, but I'm so impressed by what the guys have done. It's a bold album - a little heavier, a lot more 'produced', with effects and beats and it is a lot more contemporary also. There are songs within that sound like the debut on steroids and others that sound like they could (and should) be on Top 40 radio right now. All wrapped up in a heavier and more intense package. It has a really slick groove and the production is simply amazing.

And speaking of bands that have stepped it up beyond expectations - stand by for the utterly brilliant new Degreed album! Again, massive expectations and again...exceeded in every aspect. The new Degreed album is bigger, heavier, better than their awesome debut. Like Vega, the guys have upped their game to major league and with this album will firmly place themselves amongst the best melodic rock bands in Europe right now. And also like Vega, the guys have updated their sound for an even more contemporary feel, while retaining all the melodic brilliance that was found on their debut.
A release is currently being planned. I'll be proud and honoured to be part of the guys plans in any way I can, after releasing their debut, but this is such an astoundingly good record...the guys really deserve a much bigger label than the small indie that is MelodicRock Records.
Just wait until you hear such songs as Access Denied, Black Cat, Blind Hearted and Just Another Heartache! World class and for those with the debut - you'll be equally amazed as I am.
Stay tuned!

Ten are back on October 19 with Heresy And Creed - an album that isn't perfect and could use a better track running order, but has some definite highlights that Ten fans are going to love. First of all, I think it's the best produced Ten album in recent years and best of all, I think the guitar work is the best since Vinny Burns was in the band - a lot of big riffs and some blinding solos. And I think this is perhaps the heaviest Ten album to date - it really packs a punch in places. And Gary sounds as good as ever. There's a lot to like. There is only a couple of ballads in there and the rest is pretty hard rocking.

As with all of the above albums - stay tuned right here for exclusive previews and more details to follow. Not to mention talk of a few more releases scheduled like Jorn's next release Symphony and Issa's anticipated obscure AOR covers album Can't Stop.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: August 22, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
That is a shit-ton of updates.  Listening to the PoL song right now.  Not bad.

Funny how we were just talking 10 in the 'listening to now' thread.   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: August 22, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »
That's what jolted me posting this update.  I read the update yesterday and forgot to post then you and lowdz reminded me!  :lol

Also, there is a review for the new Eclipse in the reviews section.  Andrew raves about the album and gives it a perfect score.  Not too long to go until it's released.

Still gotta check that POL sample.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: August 23, 2012, 03:48:42 AM »
I'm interested in hearing more from Jimi Jamison, although tbh modern melodic rock albums tend to sound more samey to me, so I don't have high expectations.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »
I'm interested in hearing more from Jimi Jamison, although tbh modern melodic rock albums tend to sound more samey to me, so I don't have high expectations.

It's been driven by Erik Martensson, so it will be very high quality.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:07 AM »
Just listened to that new Pride of Lions song.  What a pile of shit. It might grow once I have the album, but Christ, how fucking corny is this.  POL were always very soft and pure AOR, but this song is like the theme to a bad 80's sitcom that no one ever remembers.  And why does Jim sing what feels like most of the song?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: August 23, 2012, 06:31:34 AM »
Just listened to that new Pride of Lions song.  What a pile of shit. It might grow once I have the album, but Christ, how fucking corny is this.  POL were always very soft and pure AOR, but this song is like the theme to a bad 80's sitcom that no one ever remembers.  And why does Jim sing what feels like most of the song?

:lol :lol  Well, my 'not bad' comment was trying to be a little kind.  In all honesty, I wasn't all that impressed on first listen, and glad you pointed out Jim as the lead vocals, cuz I was thinking 'this doesn't sound like Toby at all' for the first half of it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #442 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:19 AM »

:lol :lol  Well, my 'not bad' comment was trying to be a little kind.  In all honesty, I wasn't all that impressed on first listen, and glad you pointed out Jim as the lead vocals, cuz I was thinking 'this doesn't sound like Toby at all' for the first half of it.

I quite liked the first album but have to say it's all been corny and cliched and a bit too over-the-top for me. Too Broadway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »

It's been driven by Erik Martensson, so it will be very high quality.

:blush I'm not familiar with the name, but I'll trust you on that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »
Yeah, I know what you are saying, but their older stuff I thought was well written AOR, which wasn't too over the top.  This new song is absolute crap.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #445 on: August 23, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
Have you heard the new Eclipse? Oh my god what an album  :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: August 23, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »
Have you heard the new Eclipse? Oh my god what an album  :hefdaddy

just got despatched today.  Should get it next week.  Although, I'm having a sneak peak and listening to Wake Me Up.  Damn, this is gonna be fine!!  :metal

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »
I have not heard the new Eclipse. I was never too impressed with the debut, but the second album was an improvement. The W.E.T. album is blistering, so I am very interested to hear what Eclipse came up with this time out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: August 31, 2012, 06:57:17 AM »
Damn, just listened to the new Eclipse for the first time.  Fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
Damn, just listened to the new Eclipse for the first time.  Fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Thought you might like it!  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: September 02, 2012, 04:22:54 AM »
Yeah mate, I've listened through this about 4 times now and it's just amazing.  Some of these songs are just simply incredible.  Definitely gonna be in the top 5 of the year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:58 AM »
Really enjoying the new Harry Hess too.  it's light, poppy but very melodic with some great performances.  The songs are short and too the point, and it's just a great pop rock record overall. 

Since I've never really gotten into Harem Scarem that much I took out the only two albums I have from them and am giving them a listen with new ears.  I have Overload and Hope.  I also have Live at the Gods too.  I need to get some of their older stuff I know.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:59 AM »
Really enjoying the new Harry Hess too.  it's light, poppy but very melodic with some great performances.  The songs are short and too the point, and it's just a great pop rock record overall. 

Since I've never really gotten into Harem Scarem that much I took out the only two albums I have from them and am giving them a listen with new ears.  I have Overload and Hope.  I also have Live at the Gods too.  I need to get some of their older stuff I know.

Mood Swings is mandatory.  Absolutely MANDATORY. Their s/t is very good too, but on the lighter side.   I'd avoid Voice of Reason for the time being.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #453 on: September 04, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »
What's all this about Eclipse? Never heard of them. What is the new album's title?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
Bleed and Scream