Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564570 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #385 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »
Okay, I have to ask the people posting here: do any of you know Praying Mantis? Great melodic rock band, but I have never, in my whole life met someone who knew them without me introducing them first.

Certainly aware of them from the NWOBHM, and they had a track on the Metal For Muthas compilation- got that on vinyl. Was someone in the band in Maiden at one time?
Not a big fan at all, but I know they exist!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
I've seen them on various NWOBHM compilations; sound pretty good but never went out of my way to check them out any further

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »
I've seen them on various NWOBHM compilations; sound pretty good but never went out of my way to check them out any further

Do it. They're great.  :tup :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »
Okay, I have to ask the people posting here: do any of you know Praying Mantis? Great melodic rock band, but I have never, in my whole life met someone who knew them without me introducing them first.

I;ve always been meaning to check them out.  Doesn't that band have Dennis Stratton?  I think Tony O'Hora was in the line up for a bit too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:56 AM »
Yeah, thay had Dennis Stratton and Tony O'Hora once. Both aren't in the band anymore, though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2012, 04:08:12 AM »
Yeah, thay had Dennis Stratton and Tony O'Hora once. Both aren't in the band anymore, though.

Righto then.  What would be the best album to start out with?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2012, 04:18:41 AM »
Time Tells No Lies, probably. That's their first one, and one of their best too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2012, 04:36:28 AM »
I might look into that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2012, 04:45:30 AM »
FORMER HAREM SCAREM SINGER BACK WITH A BRAND NEW SOLO ALBUM:
Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the release Hess new solo album entitled Living in Yesterday on August 24 in Europe and August 28 in the US.
Best known for spending 17 years as frontman of Harem Scarem, one of the most well known and respected Melodic Hard Rock bands to come out from Canada, Harry Hess has been redesigning his career as music producer and songwriter.
After the band's decision to stop recording more albums, the next natural step for Harry was to start working on a solo album which he has been expertly crafting little by little in his Toronto studio. Still the songs included in “Living in Yesterday” are the result of Hess' travels around the globe over the last few years with stops in Stockholm, Amsterdam, Brussels, Nashville and Germany.
With this CD Harry intends to go back to certain sounds and atmospheres leaning more towards melodic rock music. “This record is more a continuation of where I left off with Harem Scarem” says Harry. “I am a rock singer and it's really hard for me to open up my mouth and sound right doing any other style of music so I really embrace that now and build the production around my vocal style”.

The musicians featured on the album include his former bandmates Pete Lesperance, Creighton Doane and Darren Smith (his former bandmates in Harem Scarem), Tommy Denander, Marcie Free (Unruly Child), Howie Simon (Jeff Scott Soto) and Magnus Karlsson (Primal Fear) among others. “This whole record was built on the co-writes and on the collaborations I have been doing all around the world the past 3 years” continues Harry. “There were some great writers involved and it was fun to try new things but still make it work with what I do”.

Living In Yesterday includes the following songs: Living In Yesterday; Reach For You; It's Over; Don't Leave Me; What If; Nothing Lasts Forever; Falling Down; I Live For You; I Don't Wanna Want You; Where To Run.
The new album is a superb slice of Melodic Rock which features a monster vocal performance from Harry, fabulous songwriting and a crisp production. “I've never a big fan of my own work but there are few songs on this record that I feel are some of my best to date”, concludes Harry.
It is possible to stream in full the first song from the album Living In Yesterday on the Frontiers Records webradio www.frontiers.it/webradio and on Harry Hess page on Facebook www.facebook.com/harry.hess3.

Hess: Harry Hess: Lead Vocals, keyboards, Backing Vocals, additional Guitars / Additional Musicians: Peter Lesperance: Guitars & Bass; Creighton Doane: Drums; Howie Simon: Guitars solos on “What If“ & “It's Over“; Magnus Karlsson: Guitar solo on “Living In Yesterday“; Chris Green: Guitar solo on “Where To Run“; Tommy Denander: Guitar & Keyboards on “I Don't Wanna Want You“; Strings on “What If & “It's Over“ arranged by Pete Whitfield, performed by Pete Whitfield, Sarah Brandwood-Spencer, Paulette Bayley (violins) Simon Turner, Nick Trygstad (cellos); Marcie Free: Backing vocals on songs 1,2 & 3; Darren Smith: Backing vocals on songs 4 – 10.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »
Thank you good sir. Will need to check out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
I'm a huge fan of HS and love Hess' voice.There's some talent involved and I'm looking forward to this. First Signal was good too, worth checking out.

Pete Lesperance's Down In It album from a few years ago is excellent.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
Devin Townsend's album Accelerated Evolution is kind off melodic hard rock
I love beautiful things.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
I'm a huge fan of HS and love Hess' voice.There's some talent involved and I'm looking forward to this. First Signal was good too, worth checking out.

Pete Lesperance's Down In It album from a few years ago is excellent.

Just watched the First Signal  video.  Yummy!  And the chicks were pretty hawt too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
hot chicks? I have to take a look.

No seriously, I was planning on doing it anyway.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
Pretty funny video that one, as is most of Frontiers low budget vids.  Seriously though, First Signal was a cracking album.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
Just spotify'd it this afternoon.  Very sweet!  Now gotta find that Lesperance album

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Just spotify'd it this afternoon.  Very sweet!  Now gotta find that Lesperance album

He rerecorded them as a different project  (Fair Ground) in the last couple of years but they didn't sound as good as his original versions.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »
FUCK YES!!!!!!

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175553

PRIMAL FEAR Guitarist Signs Solo Deal With FRONTIERS RECORDS - June 17, 2012
Swedish heavy metal guitarist, multi-instrumentalist and producer Magnus Karlsson has inked a solo deal with Frontiers Records.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :metal :metal

No wonder he left the PF tour.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
 :omg:  Magnus Karlsson rocks.. big time  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »
Thought he'd been quiet. Saving his best songs for this then  ;D

You would think he was already signed to Frontiers with the amount of albums he does for them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: June 18, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
Thought he'd been quiet. Saving his best songs for this then  ;D

You would think he was already signed to Frontiers with the amount of albums he does for them.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves as a solo album.  Multiple guest singers, some instrumentals.  I really don't see it being anything different, but I'm fine with that.

It's interesting if he didn't join PF on the tour because of this commitment.  Hopefully some more info on the situation arises soon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2012, 05:47:53 AM »

I had this on cassette:

I also have this on vinyl:

back album pic

Chris and Tino Troy along with CLIVE BURR and Bernie Shaw (who is now Uriah Heep's vocalist).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: June 19, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »
Sweet. I actually don't have that live album, is it any good?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: June 19, 2012, 05:58:58 AM »
Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I'm not sure if I still actually have it. I prbably only listened to it like twice. I had just gotten it for the Maiden connection. And that was at least 20+ years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: June 19, 2012, 06:00:28 AM »
Oh, ok. Let me know if you find it, I can't really find any reviews to that album and I'm always a bit unsure concerning live albums.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: July 04, 2012, 03:54:54 AM »
New Magnum;

MAGNUM READY TO DELIVER NEW MASTERPIECE:
Hugely influential British melodic hard rock group Magnum have confirmed the release of their upcoming eighteenth studio album, On The 13th Day on Steamhammer / SPV on September 19th in Scandinavia, September 21st in Germany, September 24th in Europe and September 25th in the US/Canada.
So Let It Rain, taken from the album, will be released as a single at the end of August.
On The 13th Day will be available as a limited digipak edition with a bonus CD featuring unreleased, acoustic and live tracks from the Magnum vaults, plus as a double coloured vinyl LP, standard jewel case CD and download. The cover is once again created by famous fantasy artist Rodney Matthews (Asia, Nazareth, Eloy).

Tracklisting: Limited Digipak Disc 1 1. All The Dreamers 7.09 2. Blood Red Laughter 4.40 3. Didn't Like You Anyway 4.33 4. On The 13th Day 5.35 5. So Let It Rain 4.50 6. Dance Of The Black Tattoo 5.16 7. Shadow Town 5.57 8. Putting Things In Place 4.41 9. Broken Promises 4.55 10. See How They Fall 4.56 11. From Within 4.42.
Bonus Disc 2: 1. Those Were The Days 4.12 (Demo From 1988-89) 2. Eyes Like Fire 5.23 (Full Version) 3. Blood Red Laughter 4.12 (Acoustic Version) 4. We All Need To Be Loved 4.12 (Live From Prague CZ) 5. Shadow Town 4.59 (Acoustic Version) 6. Moonking 6.29 (Live From Mannheim D).

Jewel Case - 11 tracks from CD1 of the Digipack.
Vinyl Version - LP 1 Side A 1. All The Dreamers 7.09 2. Blood Red Laughter 4.40 3. Didn't Like You Anyway 4.33 Side B 1. On The 13th Day 5.35 2. So Let It Rain 4.50 3. Dance Of The Black Tattoo 5.16
LP 2 Side A 1. Shadow Town 5.57 2. Putting Things In Place 4.41 3. Broken Promises 4.55 Side B 1.. See How They Fall 4.56 2.. From Within 4.42.

On The 13th Day follows the success of 'The Visitation', which charted at #19 in Germany, #46 in Sweden, #55 in the UK national album charts, #56 in Switzerland, and at #3 in the UK rock charts at the end of January 2011.
On The 13th Day also picks up where 'The Visitation' left off, boasting 11 soaring, brand new totally epic rock songs packed with hook filled choruses, glorious flowing melodies, luscious keyboards and flowing guitar licks. Right from the opening track 'All The Dreamers', (set to be the new 'Sacred Hour') you get an instant feeling that this album has something very special to offer. 'So Let It Rain', the first single to be taken from 'On The 13th Day', will without a doubt soon be officially classified as 'classic', while 'Dance Of The Black Tattoo', which, from the moment the first drum beats crash out of the speakers, mesmerizes from start to finish. 'On The 13th Day', which draws on the very best elements of Magnum's illustrious back catalogue and high end production, is a strong contender for the title of 'Magnum's best album to date.'
One month after the release of 'On The 13th Day' Magnum set off on a 31 date European tour from October-December 2012.

Line Up: Tony Clarkin - guitars, Bob Catley - vocals, Mark Stanway - keyboards, Al Barrow - bass, Harry James - drums.
WebLinks (and tour dates): www.magnumonline.co.uk / www.spv.de.

and new Pete Lesperance;

PETE LESPERANCE LOOKS TOWARDS THE STARS:
Harem Scarem guitarist Pete Lesperance has announced his new solo album Fade Into Stars will be released July 31. Hard copy CDs will be available direct from Pete's website and iTunes and other such retailers will offer the Digital release of the album.
The 10 track moody singer/songwriter styled album has the track listing of: Say Hello, Save Me, Too High, Be The One, Hollywood, Satellites, 6 Ways, Love Someone, One Last Time, The Ride.
Samples can be heard now via: fadeintostarssamples.viinyl.com.

Also, a new AOR Work of Art copy band I just discovered.  Pretty good, but blatant Work of Art rip off;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smVQ9vgQyF8

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: July 04, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »
I've never tried any Magnum.  Suggestion where to start?

Also, I came across the band Shadow's Mignon.  It's a Henning Pauly project (Frameshift, Chain, solo).  He described this in an email as "an hommage to classic 80s metal". 

The album is on Spotify, and there's a Myspace page with a few tracks.  I give it  :tup :tup

Pauly also did the second Roswell Six/Terra Incognita album (lyrics written by novelist Kevin Anderson... the first album's music was written by Erik Norlander).  The Pauly written album (A Line in the Sand) features vocalists  Steve Walsh (Kansas), Michael Sadler (ex-Saga), Sass Jordan, Alex Froese and Nick Storr, with guest appearances by Charlie Dominici, Juan Roos and Arjen A. Lucassen.  There's a MySpace page for that album too.

That, along with the first Roswell Six album (Beyond the Horizon... featuring JLB, and it is on Spotify) also gets  :tup :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: July 04, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »
That Shadow's Mignon sounds interesting, will give some tracks a spin later.

As with Magnum, On A Storytellers Night is absolutely essential.  Wings of Heaven is classic also.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #413 on: July 04, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
Yeah, what Wolfie said. I love the run of Chase The Dragon- especially the remaster with Back To Earth on it- Magnum's best song, (miss Eleventh hour) Storyteller's Night, Vigilante, Wings Of Heaven. After that nothing has really impressed me that much. With Goodnight LA they seemed to go chasing the American $ and missed.

Some of Bob Catley's solo albums have been better than Magnum's later output for me. Great voice and a nice guy. Magnum have always been awesome live.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: July 04, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
Brand New Morning was alright, and Moonking was a pretty good one also, Alice was decent too.  Visitation didn't really do much for me, so I'm hoping for something more on this new one.

As far as Catley solo album, they are all terrific.  My favs are The Tower, When Empires Burn, Spirit of Man and Immortal, all terrific stuff, much better than what Magnum have been doing lately.

I still need to check out the Hard Rain album.

Oh and yes Lowdz, Back to Earth is top 5 Magnum for me too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #415 on: July 04, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
Beleive it or not, I've never tried Magnum either.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 04, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
Everyone AOR fan needs to check out On A Storyteller's Night, it's absolutely brilliant.  TAC and Jingle, add this to your lists.  Then add Wings of Heave, Chase the Dragon and Vigilante to those lists.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: July 25, 2012, 05:38:31 AM »
New Eclipse;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPUzo1fkM38&feature=g-all-u

Easily one of the best songs of the year so far.  August 28 this comes out, can't wait.  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 25, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »
I'm gonna punch you in the throat if you don't stop this!!!!

Oh, and .... the fuck!  Pride of Lions teaser on the sidebar.  Have they got something coming out this year?

Thank god for Spotify and Grooveshark and the like.  Otherwise, I'd have a 2000+ CD collection with a lot of it gathering dust too!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: July 25, 2012, 05:59:18 AM »
I'm gonna punch you in the throat if you don't stop this!!!!

Oh, and .... the fuck!  Pride of Lions teaser on the sidebar.  Have they got something coming out this year?

Thank god for Spotify and Grooveshark and the like.  Otherwise, I'd have a 2000+ CD collection with a lot of it gathering dust too!

Yes, Pride of Lions have a new album coming out sometime later this year, no details as yet.

I am so excited about this new Eclipse album, it's gonna be awesome.

Oh don't forget Harry Hess released the same day as Eclipse.  :tup

You may like this too;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smVQ9vgQyF8

The album is okay, pretty standard AOR.