Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564332 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2012, 06:18:02 AM »
The new Tyketto and Trixter samples sound good too.

That first Tyketto album, Don't Come Easy, was a classic. forever Young is a Melodi Rock masterpiece.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »
I've seen some of the clips on youtube too and it wasn't a great performance.  Lowdz is right, the backup singers are shit.

Watched the first 3 songs... you guys are right, they make my ears bleed.  Johnny even looks at them, the stage crew, and Ramos constantly like "What! The! Fuck!".  Even tells the crowd it sounds like shit on the stage.   :lol

Also, not sure why I didn't pay attention to the Axel Rudi Pell comment ... never knew Johnny had like 8 albums there too.   >:(  More albums I want!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2012, 06:29:26 AM »
Never really checked out Tyketto. Was a huge fan of Waysted when Danny Vaughn did the Save Your Prayers album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »
Never really checked out Tyketto. Was a huge fan of Waysted when Danny Vaughn did the Save Your Prayers album.

The first two albums were very good. Danny has a great voice.

And jingle.boy, you need Oceans Of Time by ARP, though all the albums are pretty similar. Knights Treasures dvd is worth getting too.

I got the first ARP album, long before Joey and Jeff Scott Soto, and that's my favourite. The compilation The Wizard's Chosen Few is a good starting place.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »

The first two albums were very good. Danny has a great voice.

And jingle.boy, you need Oceans Of Time by ARP, though all the albums are pretty similar. Knights Treasures dvd is worth getting too.

I got the first ARP album, long before Joey and Jeff Scott Soto, and that's my favourite. The compilation The Wizard's Chosen Few is a good starting place.

Discog seems to be out on Grooveshark.  I'll be working my way thru it.  Had a listen to Oceans last night.  Liked what I heard.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
Another band.  Anyone heard this album?  I always loved it.  More on the heavier side of Melodic, that's for sure. 

Bob Rock (legendary producer), actually formed the band.  Unfortunately, it's the one and only album of their's, as it was kind of a commercial flop, so they disbanded.  Great album though. They've got a handful of tracks out on YT -  Bed of Roses being my favorite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »
Never really got into Tyketto.  I like Danny Vaghun though. From the Inside is a great project and his solo album is great too.

Chad, Axel Rudi Pell is where I first heard about Johnny.  Good, classic hard rock.  Check Oceans of Time, King and Queens, Masquerade Ball, Tales of the Crown, well fuck they are all really good albums, very melodic too.

Haven't heard of Rockead, will check it out later.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
Another band.  Anyone heard this album?  I always loved it.  More on the heavier side of Melodic, that's for sure. 

Bob Rock (legendary producer), actually formed the band.  Unfortunately, it's the one and only album of their's, as it was kind of a commercial flop, so they disbanded.  Great album though. They've got a handful of tracks out on YT -  Bed of Roses being my favorite.

Never heard of Rockhead, though I new Bob Rock was a musician. Those tracks sound interesting. Will now try to track down a copy...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »
Just got the new Sunstorm in the mail.  Haven't listened to it yet.  But I also just ordered this;

Always been meaning to order this one, and I got it for 11 bucks!  Fuckin' love JLT.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
Played this today after not playing it for years. Some great songs, a couple of fillers, a very good singer too.

and this

Dann Huff is a great guitarist and singer. I prefer the first album but this is up there with the best of the genre too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
Giant are an excellent band.  I've listened to that Richie Sambora album a couple of times, and I really never cared for it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: April 02, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »
Sunstorm - Emotional Fire

I have only had this album for about 4 or 5 days, but it is scratching me right where I itch.  I only acquired the first Sunstorm album buy buying the album online, I haven't been able to find it at a reasonable price yet.  I liked it, but it didn't hit me like House of Dreams did.  House of Dreams is simply one of the finest melodic rock albums for some years IMO, every song had something to offer and the killer tracks were extra special.  Tracks like Divided, I Found Love, Gutters of Gold, The Spririt Inside, Don't Give Up and the title track are simply perfect.

When Emotional Fire was announced I was instantly counting down to the release date.  I eventually got it and I am so pleased I have this one.  Dennis Ward handles the production and right there you know you are gonna get an excellent sounding record.  Uwe Reitienauer returns and handles the leads this time.  Chris Schmidt is back too and a fellow called Justin Dukey handles the keyboards.

This album is made up of simple, short, even somewhat generic AOR/melodic rock style songs.  The longest song checks in at only 4:03, and the whole album is over by 43 minutes.  Joe sounds great for his age, and his tone and passion is still as strong as ever, he does a really great job and has some highs still in him.  I call the songs generic in the sense that there is nothing new here, but one shouldn't expect anything new.  If you enjoy catchy, hook laden melodic songs, this is an album for you.  It's one album that's instant and doesn't need 100 listens to grow on you, it's there and it makes no apologies.

Never Give Up is the first track and is the best track on the album.  Written by the amazing Robert Sall of Work of Art, this is one guy who is writing some amazing music lately with his own band and for others.  Similar to Divided, it's catchy, rocking, and Joe sounds like he is loving this one.  The pre chorus gives me goose bumps, and the lyrics are typical AOR, but it's just really well done.  A good start.

Emotional Fire is next and is a cover of a Cher song.  The album has 3 covers that featured Turner in the backing vox department back in the day, this song being one of them.  Written by Michael Bolton, Dionne Warren and Desmond Child, you know this song is perfect pop.  Killer chorus here and a great groove.  I prefer this over the original as I was never much of a Cher fan.

Lay Down our Arms is a smooth, somber, somewhat depressing piece with lyrics about a lost love.  The chorus here absolutely kicks you in the face, it's emotional and just so melodic.  The keys in the middle are a nice touch too.  I would have liked a ripping guitar solo, but for what it is, it does the job nicely.

You Wouldn't Know Love is another cover by Dianne Warren and Michael Bolton.  I believe both Cher and Michael Bolton have done this one.  It's simple, good but nothing really outstanding.  I'm listening to the Michael Bolton version right now and I like that better.  Bolton is king.

Wish You Were Here is pretty generic when it comes to AOR and grooves along nicely.  The main riffs and verses are pretty average, but the chorus makes up for it, fantastic, uplifting chorus.  I just wish the rest were as strong to carry this chorus.

Torn in Half written by Soren Kronqvist is again AOR by numbers, but like the others the chrous kicks ass and makes the song strong as hell.

Gina, the Michael Bolton hit is IMO a weaker one.  It's a little dated and the original is much better.  Joe tunes down on this one as it's clear he can't hit the same notes that Bolton did in the original, not that anyone really expects him too.  It's listenable, but nothing extrodinary.

The Higher You Rise again by Robert Sall is a nice change of pace and somwhat darker at times.  Robert Sall writes gold IMO and the tougher chorus here is perfect, and Joe delivers it really well.

Emily is next and I really like this one.  A bit faster and has some excellent keyboard patches.  Great chorus, nothing over the top but melodic and fitting.

Follow Your Heart is the most pop/AOR song on the album.  It's good, but filler, very generic.

All I Am is the last track and is the big ballad of the album.  For me, it lacks, and just doesn't do much for me at all.  Written by the amazing Tom and James Martin, I guess I just expected more.

This album, I really can just call solid.  Every song has something to offer, more than others, but it doesn't have as many highlights as House of Dreams, but is much more consistent, which I like.  If you like melodic catchy music, you should give this a go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2012, 05:37:11 AM »
Mecca - Undeniable

I've had this one for a while, but it's been a tough one for me to get into.  I knew nothing about Mecca and only really got the album because of Andrew's melodicrock.com 100% review.  Little did I know that him and the main man of this band are good friends.  Tommy Denander on guitars helped me purchase this too.

This is a very original sounding album.  The songs are unique and the overall feel and tone of the songs is not like any other AOR act out there.  I wouldn't even know what to compare it to.  I guess the closest thing I could compare it to would be Toto, Fredric Salma's AOR project or maybe even Mr Mister.  The sound this band is going for I'm not really familiar with, put it that way.

The production is top notch, great guitar tones, keyboard tones, and the album breathes so much.  Nothing over produced and everything is mixed, balanced and heard well.  Joe Vana's vocal style is very different and unique.  His vocals fit the music well, although sometimes I feel his vocals don't really show much variety.  That could be blamed on the songs though.  The songs didn't hit me at first, and I found myself putting the cd away thinking that it wasn't for me.  I got it out again with fresh ears and really enjoyed it.  I do feel the songs are all a bit samey, and Joe's melodies sometimes repeat themselves.  Not a big issue, as I don't mind that consistency in an album

Perfect World is a great rocker, and straight AOR.  Great guitar solo here too.  This song actually annoyed me at first as Joe's diction in the chours, it just sounds wrong and the words don't fit the melody that's written.  Apart from that, a killer melodic piece.

Closing Time has some modern keyboards which kick things off before a staggered guitar riff comes in and gives things a nice groove.  The chorus here is wonderul.  Uplifting, bright, melodic and some great harmonies.  Good song.

A slower piece is up next with Ten Lifetimes.  The song is pretty relaxed and the verses have a lot of room to breathe.  Good chorus again, but by this time you're getting that feeling that the songs are a little too samey.

Life's Too Short starts with more of a funk groove until Joe comes in with a rap which is laughable.  When the pre chorus comes in, it's beautiful.  The sounds and dynamics of this album really are fantastic.  The chorus is similar to Ten Lifetimes but is still great to listen to.

I Know really reminds me of Toto.  Great keyboards, here but again, the song structure and Joe's vocals don't offer much variety and the chorus while good is reminiscent of the songs before it.

Another Toto style song is next with Did It For Love.  I love the chorus here, it's pure pop, bright and beautiful.  Killer solo here too.

From the Start is filler material but the chorus again is decent and melodic.

Deceptive Cadence is a slower number and not really one of my favs.  As all the songs are at a similar laid back tempo, a slow one like this just seems to make things drag.  It's nice but not one of my favs

W2W is the one true rocker of the album.  I've been waiting for this one.  Vocal melodies strongly remind me of Perfect World and again Joe doesn't vary his vocals much depending on the song.  I'm not dissing his vocals, as I find his voice, soothing, strong, and really good to listen too, but a little variety in delievery would be good.

Undeniable has a killer chorus.  A ballad again, but my kind of ballad.  Simply killer chorus makes this a highlight.

As I Walk Alone is just Joe with a piano which doesn't do anything for me.

Overall, I think I'm pretty harsh on this album, but I still have come to really enjoy the album.  My point about the songs being samey is really something I don't mind, it's just an observation.  It doesn't detract from my listening pleasure, but to someone that wants variety in an album may be left a little disappointed. 

I really like Joe's voice as he is different, and would love to check out his other work.  The band is strong and the sound and production of this cd is the best I've heard for a long time.  I would recommend this album to someone who wants something smooth and laid back, just don't expect all out rock like Sunstorm or something of the kind, this is a different beast.  I would encourage people to listen to see if they like the sound, as it's exciting original and just a joy to listen too.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »
Wow... thanks for the writeups Kade.  Sunstorm has a bunch of covers ... not usually a fan of that.  But, I'll keep it on the radar.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »
I like both of those Wolfie. The Sunstorm probably a bit more. I was familiar with several of these songs previously but JLT has the pipes to make them sound great. Agree that House Of Dreams is a great album.
One thing annoys me with the Mecca- In A Perfect World, when Joe sings "in a perfect-ah world"- winds me up, like fiingernails down a blackboard. Pity as I like the song other than that.

Been getting into Autograph lately. Totally missed them first time round but for 80s American rock it's pretty good. They did a more recent album too (Buzz) which was very good.

Anyway, I drop the family off at the inlaws' at the other end of the country tomorrow which gives me nearly a whole week of peace. Some serious music listening will be done and the Ibanez and Marshall combo will get an airing too. Can't wait.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
So wait, JLT is the singer on Sunstorm?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
I loved JLT's solo album.

I found Sambora's solo album hit and miss.

Giant's second album is good but not as good as the first album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »
Wow... thanks for the writeups Kade.  Sunstorm has a bunch of covers ... not usually a fan of that.  But, I'll keep it on the radar.

No worries mate.  Agree about the covers, but luckily they aren't well known songs, if they were covers of top 40 80's hits, that would annoy me.  Plus apparently, JLT sang backing on the 3 songs anyway so he wanted to his own versions.

So wait, JLT is the singer on Sunstorm?

Yes

One thing annoys me with the Mecca- In A Perfect World, when Joe sings "in a perfect-ah world"- winds me up, like fiingernails down a blackboard. Pity as I like the song other than that.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about in my writeup of that song about his diction and the words not fitting the melody.  The first time I heard it, I was like "What the hell is he saying perfecta world for"  It pisses me off too mate, totally.  It's almost embarrasing listening to the chorus, but the song is so damn good, such a shame.  Glad someone else likes the Sunstorm too Lowdz, I'm really enjoying it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
OK, well, I'll check out Sunstorm!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2012, 03:55:44 AM »

Do it.  I'm in love with this cd.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »

Do it.  I'm in love with this cd.
Wolfie, I am so sorry to say this, but I only made it through 4 songs on House Of Dreams before I had to turn it off. Not even Michael Kiske could save the second Place Vendome album, and I'm not sure he could save this one. It's like eating cotton candy. There's just nothing to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
You don't need to apologize, if you don't like it, then you don't like it.  But what made you dislike it so much?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #302 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:29 AM »
Andrew at mr.com has a raft of new reviews up, one of which I'd never heard of but on investigating on YT has proved to be something a bit excellent. Andrew's review wasn't exceptional- I think he gave it a 80-ish score, but some of these choruses are brilliant. Apparently the band were once metal-core (whatever that is), and some harsher vocals shake things up a bit here, but there's plenty of 80s influence in this with more modern sounds too. Plenty of widdly-style soloing going on aswell.
This album is going down really well in the sunshine today. Not had chance to live with it to see if it sticks, but first impressions are really good.
Give it a shot and see what you think if you haven't heard of them before.

Blessed By A Broken Heart- Feel The Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GmQZzLFhCM

And the new H.E.A.T. album is so much better than the previous ones.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2012, 03:57:29 AM »
Hmmm...that trailer isn't doing much for me Lowdz, but I'd like to hear some full songs, it could have potential.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:01 AM »
For some reason when I click the reviews link on melodic rock, it's the page without the new reviews, it says the page has been updated, but none of the new reviews are there, weird.

Edit: Just refreshed the page and they came up, weird.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #305 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
Hmmm...that trailer isn't doing much for me Lowdz, but I'd like to hear some full songs, it could have potential.

No worries. Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPGBGgGdx1U

I enjoyed it.

Have you heard the new JSS?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: April 05, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
You don't need to apologize, if you don't like it, then you don't like it.  But what made you dislike it so much?
Well, it's just so bland and generic. Reminded me of why I stopped listening to the radio. There's no substance, at least so far as I heard. The 4th track was the better of what I heard though.
And yikes has JLT lost his range!

(..puts on Difficult To Cure....)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

No worries. Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPGBGgGdx1U

I enjoyed it.

Have you heard the new JSS?

Solid song, not bad at all.  I might check this out afterall.

As for the JSS, I'm waiting for it in the mail, really looking forward to that one, you heard it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Well, it's just so bland and generic. Reminded me of why I stopped listening to the radio. There's no substance, at least so far as I heard. The 4th track was the better of what I heard though.
And yikes has JLT lost his range!

(..puts on Difficult To Cure....)

Yeah, he sounds weaker than the 80's but IMO, he still sounds great.  If you don't like the first 3 songs, then forget the rest, you won't like them at all.  If you think that's generic, don't try Emotional Fire.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
OK..advice heeded! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
Just had a listen to the first Fifth Angel album.  I didn't expect it to be so much different from the second album.  A lot less commercial and more aggressive.  Good stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »
Also, just listened to this album for the first time too;

Absolutely amazing tunes all the way through.  Melodic songs Denander style with a hint of Toto, really really good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Apologies for the triple post but damn I just listened to a couple of tracks from the HEAT album, that's amazing, I'm ordering that one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »
The JSS is pretty good, certainly better than the last solo album. Nothing earthshattering, but good, solid rock album.

The Heat is very good. I certainly didn't rate the first two but the new singer is excellent and the guitars are a bit more present.
The Denander Fredriksen isn't really my cup of tea.

I was doing some painting last night, trying out the Audiogalaxy app on the iphone and after the heat album came the new Dynasty album. This one blew me away. The opener sounded like they were channeling the first Dio album- I almost thought it was the great man himself. the rest was excellent too, and another band that I hadn't really connected with on their previous albums. My favourite of the year so far I think.

Couldn't find much from the new one on YT but try this sampler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV1nw4t_Woc

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
Dynasty? Never heard of them, but the Dio reference definitely puts them on The List.