Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564401 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »
Interesting that you think Bullets is the weakest.  I love the smooth groove and AOR feel of the chorus.  Memories is probably next on my list after those five I listed.  Good song, but I like the others more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
Chris Laney produced the Crazy Lixx New Religion album.

I did not know that. The more you know!

I just grabbed both albums. On first listen, first album had a couple of great songs, although overall it didn't grab me. Gonna give it another listen tomorrow and see how that goes.
I've just started on Only Come Out at Night, and the first 2 tracks were great. That's as far as I've gotten so far.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm gonna have to check out this band, I have not heard a single second of their music.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »
I think these guys came up somewhere in the past 8 pages (too lazy to look, and 'search' didn't find anything), but I just had a marathon with House of Lords.  Very, VERY nice.  Particularly loved Sahara, Demon's Down, Cartesian Dreams and Big Money.  And some pretty decent artwork too.

Yet another band I'll eventually need to pick up a big catalog (8 albums) from.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
I love that cover. Album's good too.
For me, every other album is a good one: loved the S/t, Sahara not as good. Loved Demon's Down, Power & The Myth is great but not a HoL album. World Upside Down was great, CTMK not. Cartesian Dreams was great, Big Money wasn't.
I could be the only person in the world who loves TP&TM. Ken Mary owns that album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
I never understood the hate for Power and The Myth, really enjoyable album IMO.  Cartesian Dreams is possibly HOL at their best though.  Big Money didn't click with me at the start, but now, I like it as much as Cartesian Dreams.  The production lets it down but the songs are absolutely stellar IMO. Great band, loves Jimi's guitar playing and James Christian is wonderful.

You guys should check James Christian's solo album Meet the Man, great straight forward AOR, simple, amazing, I love it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
I never understood the hate for Power and The Myth, really enjoyable album IMO.  Cartesian Dreams is possibly HOL at their best though.  Big Money didn't click with me at the start, but now, I like it as much as Cartesian Dreams.  The production lets it down but the songs are absolutely stellar IMO. Great band, loves Jimi's guitar playing and James Christian is wonderful.

You guys should check James Christian's solo album Meet the Man, great straight forward AOR, simple, amazing, I love it.

Yeah, I've got that. Good album. Agree on Jimi's guitar playing too. Lanny Cordola was a really good player- saw that original line-up (minus Guiffria of course) at Firefest a few years ago on the P&TM tour. They were good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
Demons Down is my fav from HoL.  The lead off track is awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2012, 03:12:48 AM »
I haven't got Demons Down, but I've only heard good things about it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
I haven't got Demons Down, but I've only heard good things about it.

Time to put that right Wolfie! It's by far HoL's best.

Been listening to this today. Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kFJaX5v90&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL7436BFB822B9DC8D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnzPdmT0CI

And from the (almost) present day...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:30:17 PM by Lowdz »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »
Unfamiliar with Red Dawn, will check that out when I'm home.

That new Ratt one was really enjoyable.  I was just a very casual Ratt fan, but Infestation was a big surprise, really good album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Unfamiliar with Red Dawn, will check that out when I'm home.

That new Ratt one was really enjoyable.  I was just a very casual Ratt fan, but Infestation was a big surprise, really good album.

I was a pretty big fan, though all their albums had filler, and Pearcy's voice isn't the best. Warren DeMartini is a favourite of mine for lead and rhythm, and he has a great tone. I really enjoyed the s/t album of a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised by Infestation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
Yeah, Warren has always been very underrated IMO, great guitarist.  I might give Infestation a spin tonight, good stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »
I was really surprised and happy with the latest Ratt.  For me, that album along with, Accept "Blood of the Nations", and of course the new VH, is the kind of new albums that 70's/80's metal/rock bands should make.  Has a classic sound, yet not dated.  I wish Queensryche would analize their sound and realize what they should be releasing.  But Wolf, Demons Down might be a little difficult to find, but you will love it- guaranteed!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
I've checked my normal site I buy cd's from and they don't have it.  It's time to go to ebay, sounds promising from the recommendations from you guys.

Agree with Accept, what a record, can't wait for Starlingrad.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
I've checked my normal site I buy cd's from and they don't have it.  It's time to go to ebay, sounds promising from the recommendations from you guys.

Have you checked out the Stalingrad track on Youtube? Absolutely brilliant song. Could never get into Accept because of Udo, and the new guy sounds like him, just better. Stronger voice I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

Have you checked out the Stalingrad track on Youtube? Absolutely brilliant song. Could never get into Accept because of Udo, and the new guy sounds like him, just better. Stronger voice I think.

I'm a huge UDO fan, but never really got into Accept except Restless and Wild and Metal Heart.  I am more of a fan of UDO's solo band.  Mark Tornillo is the perfect vocalist for Accept, he breathed so much life into the band, and now the band is better than before.  The new track is absolutely amazing, can't wait.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:13 AM »
Just been listening to this that may have passed some of you by. It has Eric Martin on vocals, Jack Blades on bass and bv, Brian Tichy on drums. Excellent modern-sounding melodic hard rock with a hint of the oriental in it. Worth checking out.

And bumping to catch the attention of those joining in the 80s MTV videos threads.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: March 18, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
That looks like an interesting combination, this is completely new to me, I don't even remember seeing this on melodicrock.com.  When was it released?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #264 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:11 AM »
That looks like an interesting combination, this is completely new to me, I don't even remember seeing this on melodicrock.com.  When was it released?

2004. IIRC Andrew gave it a glowing review (99 or 100) at the time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:29 AM »

Ah, it's that old, no wonder I haven't heard of it. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2012, 06:04:08 AM »

Thanks for that. I don't need reminding how old I am! That's a "new" album for me! lol  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

Thanks for that. I don't need reminding how old I am! That's a "new" album for me! lol  :biggrin:

:lol No I meant that I've only really been heavily into melodic rock for the last 5 or 6 years so that explains why I'm unfamilar with this one.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »
Mother of God, how did I ever miss this? ? ?

*searching web frantically*.  Found the entire show (I think) on youtube.  I'm giddy with anticipation as I download it to watch later.

$10 on iTunes for the audio. *contemplates*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Mother of God, how did I ever miss this? ? ?

*searching web frantically*.  Found the entire show (I think) on youtube.  I'm giddy with anticipation as I download it to watch later.

$10 on iTunes for the audio. *contemplates*

I was at this show and was so disappointed in Hardline, some sound or monitor problems I think. Those backing singers  weren't great I remember. not been tempted to buy the dvd or audio personally.
Saw them supporting someone (can't remember who- maybe Extreme?) back in the day with Schon still in the band and they were excellent. Johnny is a great singer and does great stuff with Axel Rudi Pell.
Their second album was awful and the third one strangely proggy but much better.

I've had a good melodic rock day cos it's been a beautiful day in the north of England- yes we very occaisionally get them. A day off too. Today is probably summer!
listened to both Damn Yankees albums, Giant's Time To Burn, John Norum's Total Control, the first Danger Danger, now listening to Europe's Out Of This World. And time with the kids. Good times.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
Too funny... I was listening to some Europe and Damn Yankee's earlier today.

Well, I'll check the YT video of the concert, and get back to you on my thoughts.  You're absolutely right, II sucked (although I listened to it earlier this week, and it wasn't AS bad as when I first heard it).  Double Eclipse is a Top 10 album for me, and Leaving the End Open is pretty righteous too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
I've seen some of the clips on youtube too and it wasn't a great performance.  Lowdz is right, the backup singers are shit.

I really like the first album but Leaving the End Open is amazing.  I haven't got II but I don't think it could beat LTEO for me.

Listened to Danger Danger Revolve yesterday.  Easily one of the finest melodic rock album of the last 10 years, perfect.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »
II is a massive step below both DE and LTEO.  It would only disappoint you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: March 25, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
II is a massive step below both DE and LTEO.  It would only disappoint you.

Alright, that's what I've heard before.  I won't worry about it, only if I can get it dirt cheap.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2012, 06:09:29 AM »
I love that cover. Album's good too.
For me, every other album is a good one: loved the S/t, Sahara not as good. Loved Demon's Down, Power & The Myth is great but not a HoL album. World Upside Down was great, CTMK not. Cartesian Dreams was great, Big Money wasn't.
I could be the only person in the world who loves TP&TM. Ken Mary owns that album.
Not into House Of Lords but Ken Mary is awesome. Maybe I should check them out.
Anyway, I met Ken Mary backstage when he was with Alice Cooper in 1987 at the Boston Garden.
I'm covered in blood from being right up front!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »
Hardline have a new album due. I'm excited because Alessandro Del Vechio is a talented guy, and a really good singer. Will probably be a return to the more melodic sound of the debut rather than the proggier LTEO. Samples sound good.

As always, melodicrock.com is the place for news!

https://www.melodicrock.com/

Ken Mary is a great drummer. Cool pic!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
Oh hell yeah!!!

https://www.frontiers.it/news/10548/

HARDLINE’s lineup revolution welcomes you in the “Danger Zone”

Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the release of HARDLINE’s new studio album entitled “Danger Zone” on May 18th in Europe and May 22nd in North America.

Following the release of “Leaving The End Open”, HARDLINE’s mastermind and singer Johnny Gioeli did not realistically feel that another HARDLINE album would have seen the light of day sometime soon. It was again thanks to the insistence of Frontiers Records President Serafino Perugino that the concept came about once again “I love surprises and this was certainly one of them”, says Gioeli. “Each time I decide to close the door on Hardline, I get the itch to continue”.

Fate wanted that when Perugino sent Gioeli some song demos written by Alessandro Del Vecchio (an Italian musician and producer know for his work with Edge of Forever and Eden’s Curse but also with Axe, Mitch Malloy, Bobby Kimball and several other top musicians and bands), the singer became excited once again and wanted to give it another go.

“Ale is one talented brotha...” tells Johnny, “he plays, writes, sings, engineers, produces and mixes... He's like the golden goose handed to me. More than all the talent he has, he is an example of a great human in many many ways. I look forward to making more music with Ale. And it doesn't hurt that he's Italian too!” Alessandro Del Vecchio says: “I feel humbled but at the same time excited as never before. I grew up with Double Eclipse, which I bought when I was 13, so it's really a combination of feelings. The whole thing started so naturally that I feel like me and Johnny have been knowing each other for years. Our goal was to match the superb quality of that milestone of a debut and we worked hard to get to it, but we also wanted this record to be a shift and the truthful mirror of this "new" life for Hardline”. And, according to Gioeli “I think all of the Hardline records have a magic about them... this one certainly holds a more commercial pop sound to its heartbeat. I love it.”

So now Hardline have been completed with a European based lineup featuring Francesco Jovino (UDO), Thorsten Koehne (Code Of Perfection, Eden's Curse) and Anna Portalupi (Mitch Malloy).

“I would absolutely LOVE to tour with these guys. I think the fans would be quite surprised when they hear this band....like a good solid kick in the teeth” concludes Gioeli and certainly discussions are ongoing to have finally Hardline play some dates around Europe in support of this exciting new release.

“Danger Zone” tracklisting includes:
Fever Dreams; 10.000 Reasons; Danger Zone; What I'd Like; Stronger Than Me; Never Too Late For Love; Stay; I Don't Want To Breakaway; Look At You Now; Please Have Faith In Me; Show Me Your Love; The Only One.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
I'm not familiar with Hardline at all. Any track recomendations?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
From Double Eclipse - Bad Taste, Hot Cherie, I'll Be There, In the Hands of Time
From II - skip it (that's not a song ... literally, skip it)
From Leaving the End Open - Voices, She Sleeps in Madness, Before This, Leaving the End Open

As Lowdz said, DE is more melodic; LTEO is more prog.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
TAC, amazing pic.

And second, oh fuck yeah!!  Quite ironic we were discussing Hardline yesterday and now we get news on a new album the next day.  I really liked Jash Ramos' guitar playing, but Thorsten is an absolute amazing guitarists, one of the best around today and he will make this even more special.

The samples sound absolutely killer too, serioulsy can't wait for this.  This just climbed to the top of my most anticipated list.