Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564382 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2012, 02:24:07 AM »
Man, I digging Time Will Tell from Fifth Angel, great melodic rock cd.  Cathedral, Midnight Love, Broken Dreams, Time Will Tell, Angel of Mercy, Feel The Heat, terrific songs.  I gotta get me the debut.  These guys should have been a lot more popular.

The debut is a must!! Supposedly they are working on new material that should surface this year, but who knows.  They should have been much much bigger- they are basically unknowns, but still have a cult following.  Two outstanding releases.  Trust me, get the first one, the two go great hand in hand.

Bought it on vinyl on release and loved it. Not heard it for an age as I don't have a deck but will have to track it down. Never heard the follow up. Will have to YT some tracks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:19 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »
Time Will Tell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbVSZljEPa8

Midnight Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91i9XqVWNQ0

Angel of Mercy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydm460b5eE

Great stuff!!

I like those but it's alot more commercial sounding than the debut, which  :metal. Think I actually prefer these tracks to alot of the debut. Will have to source a copy of this asap.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2012, 05:42:01 AM »
Yeah, very commercial.  nice, but didn't WOW me the way some of your other recommendations (ie, Frontiers releases) have.  Had a chance to listen to Mecca yet?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
Yeah, very commercial.  nice, but didn't WOW me the way some of your other recommendations (ie, Frontiers releases) have.  Had a chance to listen to Mecca yet?

It's a different kind of Hard Rock, certainly. A bit more Metal.

I quite like the Mecca, though I'm not often in the mood to listen to it. I do most of my listening in the car now and it's not really a driving album. My only gripe with it is the way Joe pronounces In A Perfec-ta World. Grates on me a bit and is a bit unnecesary.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Well, I'm loving Fifth Angel, right up my alley.  I haven't listened to Mecca yet either, it's still in the shrink wrap.  :facepalm:

I have had a listen to the new Beggars and Theives though.  It's not bad, some filler, but some good fresh sounding tracks.  Probably wouldn't spin it over and over though.  We Come Undone is a melodic rock gem.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
Well, I'm loving Fifth Angel, right up my alley.  I haven't listened to Mecca yet either, it's still in the shrink wrap.  :facepalm:

I have had a listen to the new Beggars and Theives though.  It's not bad, some filler, but some good fresh sounding tracks.  Probably wouldn't spin it over and over though.  We Come Undone is a melodic rock gem.

I rebought the debut recently and I've been playing that alot. Great album and I'd overlooked it over recent years.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
Might have to look into that one too then.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
Cool mate, I will check these out later.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »
I know it was talked about earlier, but holy moly did I love re-discovering Winger!  Finally got thru Pull, IV, and Karma and hot damn all three were chubby inducing.

Time for something (kinda) new.  My last.fm recommended Pride of Lions.  Why you ask?  Fronted by Toby Hitchcock.  I know Kade either knows them or will check them out, but man does Hitchcock have a wonderfully smooth voice.

They've got a few releases, and are out on Grooveshark for all to explore.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
Pride of Lions is pretty good. Jim Peterik can write a tune! He is responsible for one of my favourite albums ever- Survivor's Vital Signs. Great songs every one. The production ages it but it's still a great album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »
Hitchcock's voice reminds me of a young Rik Emmett every now and then.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
I know it was talked about earlier, but holy moly did I love re-discovering Winger!  Finally got thru Pull, IV, and Karma and hot damn all three were chubby inducing.

Time for something (kinda) new.  My last.fm recommended Pride of Lions.  Why you ask?  Fronted by Toby Hitchcock.  I know Kade either knows them or will check them out, but man does Hitchcock have a wonderfully smooth voice.

They've got a few releases, and are out on Grooveshark for all to explore.

Indeed I do know this amazing band Chad.  Toby's voice is amazing, and Jim writes some killer tunes.  This debut is easily POL's best album, it's melodic rock perfection all the way through.  Look out for a new POL album this year.  Toby's and Jim's harmonies are amazing too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2012, 03:58:27 AM »
Listening to this for the first time;

I frickin' love Magnum.  Amazing, British AOR.  This new release is re-recorded and remixed tracks form their last ten years and five albums.  Brilliantly done, great collection of songs, and every song sounds a lot fresher and heavier. 

Everyone should check out Magnum.  I'd start with these;

Both of these are absolute melodic rock classics.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
Two complete beauties there. Not as enamoured with anything after WOH tbh. I saw these countless times in the late 80s early 90s. Great band live, and Uncle Bob is a great vocalist. They do a great song called Down To Earth that wasn't on album. Well worth checking out and its on the remaster of Chasing The Dragon. my favourite song by them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
Down to Earth is one of my favs from Magnum aswell.  unbelievable that it wasn't included on an album.  One of their most catchiest and rocking tunes. 

Evolution is a good snapshot to see what they have done in the 2000's.  I must admit, they never ever topped WOH, or OASN either.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
I've always meant to check out Magnum; I've heard nothing but good things.  They seem to have a pretty good cult following.  I think they have a best of, might be the best place to start.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Yeah they have a couple of good best of selections, check them out, I think you will like them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »
Dug this out today. Great band, Jeff Scott Soto is a great singer. RIP Marcel Jacob.
Got all their albums and most are worth getting for a Melodic Rock fan. This best of sums them up nicely.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
Such an amazing band.  Their Five Men Live DVD is one of the greatest live performances IMO, the band was just so damn tight.  The only album I'm missing is Cats and Dogs, but I have everything else.  I was floored when I heard of Jacob's suicide, such a tragedy.  Great band, JSS at his best right here in this band.  It's great to hear Fredrick in this sort of band too.  I prefer him in the melodic rock style as opposed to Opeth.  It's amazing how many people have no idea that he came from this sort of band.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
Such an amazing band.  Their Five Men Live DVD is one of the greatest live performances IMO, the band was just so damn tight.  The only album I'm missing is Cats and Dogs, but I have everything else.  I was floored when I heard of Jacob's suicide, such a tragedy.  Great band, JSS at his best right here in this band.  It's great to hear Fredrick in this sort of band too.  I prefer him in the melodic rock style as opposed to Opeth.  It's amazing how many people have no idea that he came from this sort of band.

Not being an Opeth fan I hadn't even realised it was him.
Cats And Dogs is pretty good. Not their best, and not as good as 7, but better than alot out there.

To change the subject, there are clips of the new Crazy Lixx up on Melodicrock.com. Not listened yet and have heard it's a bit punky and a change in sound from the last (awesome) album.
And a new WigWam coming too  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
I never checked out Crazy Lixx.  I think their image actually put me off a little.  I should give them a try.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
I'm really digging The Magnificent album at the moment.  It's amazing, every song is killer and filled with great vocals, guitars and melodies, what an album!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
I never checked out Crazy Lixx.  I think their image actually put me off a little.  I should give them a try.

The last one was excellent. Not too fussed about their first, it was sleazier as opposed to a more Danger Danger/Def Leppard vibe on New Religion. Listened to the samples from the new one last night and it sounded ok. Didn't get a punky/sleazy vibe from it as I'd been lead to believe from MR.com's forum.
Still not played the Magnificent enough to give a verdict. Must put that right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »

The last one was excellent. Not too fussed about their first, it was sleazier as opposed to a more Danger Danger/Def Leppard vibe on New Religion. Listened to the samples from the new one last night and it sounded ok. Didn't get a punky/sleazy vibe from it as I'd been lead to believe from MR.com's forum.

I don't like the first Crazy Lixx album at all (too punky), but I love New Religion (man, where were you when I used it for the "guess the album cover" game?  :biggrin: ). I heard the new samples, and they sounded alright. Riot Avenue is easily the best of the samples, but the other two didn't grab me. But I'm notorious for hating samples when I end up loving the album.

They kept suggesting that the new album was going to be more raw rock, although it luckily doesn't sound like too much of a departure from the last album to me. There are already enough generic faux sleaze GNR wannabe bands going around right now.  :\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

I don't like the first Crazy Lixx album at all (too punky), but I love New Religion (man, where were you when I used it for the "guess the album cover" game?  :biggrin: ). I heard the new samples, and they sounded alright. Riot Avenue is easily the best of the samples, but the other two didn't grab me. But I'm notorious for hating samples when I end up loving the album.

They kept suggesting that the new album was going to be more raw rock, although it luckily doesn't sound like too much of a departure from the last album to me. There are already enough generic faux sleaze GNR wannabe bands going around right now.  :\

Yeah, I did a  :facepalm: when I realised I hadn't got that cover. I just don't spend the time studying covers like back in the day!
The samples sounded ok, certainly not awful. Will reserve judgment until I hear the whole thing, at a decent volume.
Have you heard any Chris Laney? Similar vibe but his voice isn't as good. Worth hearing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »
Have you heard any Chris Laney? Similar vibe but his voice isn't as good. Worth hearing.

Never heard of him, so I just checked out a couple of songs on Youtube, and definitely digging what I'm hearing. :tup I think I'll definitely be grabbing an album of his.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »
Chris Laney produced the Crazy Lixx New Religion album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
Here's one I just gave a listen to;

Great melodic rock with Lars from Work of Art.  No frills, melodic, catchy AOR, definitely recommended.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »
I'm really digging The Magnificent album at the moment.  It's amazing, every song is killer and filled with great vocals, guitars and melodies, what an album!!

:tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
Are you still spinning it Zook?  As I said, I am super impressed with this album.  Michael's vocals fit this type of music so damn well.  Hope to see more of him in this style.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »
Are you still spinning it Zook?  As I said, I am super impressed with this album.  Michael's vocals fit this type of music so damn well.  Hope to see more of him in this style.

Since our ipod privileges have been taken away at work, my music listening has dropped considerably, but yeah, I still think the album is great. I hope they make a follow up!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
Totally.  Fav tracks;

Holding on to Your Love
Cheated By Love
Bullets
Tired of Dreaming
Lost

But all songs are killer.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
The only weak tracks for me (and they still aren't bad at all) are Bullets and Harvest Moon. My favorite song is Memories. Holding On To Your Love, Cheated By Love and Memories is one hell of a start to an album.

And I have one hell of a man crush on Michael Eriksen :lol