Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564275 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
UFO and Thin Lizzy are two of my favorite bands! There are some inconsistencies, but for the most part, it is all CLASSIC!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »
I have really gotten into Lizzy over the last couple of years.  Such a great underrated band.  Love watching all their old live stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2011, 03:44:07 AM »
Just picked up Europe's Final Countdown album.  Besides a greatest hits and their last 3 albums, I haven't got anything old from these guys.  Listening now and this is a really great album.  Great hooks and killer guitar playing from Mr. Norum.  Ninja just kicked my ass!!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2011, 04:55:42 AM »
While I haven't bought a Europe album in 20 years, I just checked out their new live DVD, from 2011 show.
Very highly recommended.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:58 AM »
While I haven't bought a Europe album in 20 years, I just checked out their new live DVD, from 2011 show.
Very highly recommended.

Yeah, I got that a couple of months ago, great quality and wonderful performance from the entire band, recommended also.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
Just listened to the best of Europe yesterday.  On this best of version, they have some dance re-mix version of TFC at the end of the disc; which is horrific.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »
Just picked up Europe's Final Countdown album.  Besides a greatest hits and their last 3 albums, I haven't got anything old from these guys.  Listening now and this is a really great album.  Great hooks and killer guitar playing from Mr. Norum.  Ninja just kicked my ass!!

Shit, really?  That's a glam/melodic staple for fogey's.  I figured for sure you'd have that in your collection - I had that when it was released.  The Final Countdown was a huge radio hit in the late 80s.  That vinyl got a lot of spins on my player.  Not a bad track on it at all - glam at it's best.  Out of the World is pretty good to, and Prisoner's is just fantastic (as we already discussed).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
I love Europe but can't get into their modern stuff at all. Everything from Wings Of Tomorrow to the awesome Prisoners In Paradise was quality. There is just something about Joey Tempest's voice that's pleasing to my ears.
Re the dvd, is Ready Or Not on it? And does John Norum make a balls up of the solo like every version I've ever heard?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »

Shit, really?  That's a glam/melodic staple for fogey's.  I figured for sure you'd have that in your collection - I had that when it was released.  The Final Countdown was a huge radio hit in the late 80s.  That vinyl got a lot of spins on my player.  Not a bad track on it at all - glam at it's best.  Out of the World is pretty good to, and Prisoner's is just fantastic (as we already discussed).

I'm only 27, so I guess that's why I'm up with more of the melodic rock of these days and are unfamiliar with some of the bands you have been talking about previously, since I was only very young when they came out.  Europe I always appreciated but was just drawn toward their later stuff due to the modern and harder edge of it.  But after listening to TFC, I should have checked out their older stuff a long time ago.

BTW, just placed a big rock order on CDWOW as they had 10% off everything.  Here's what I just ordered;

The Magnificent - The Magnificent
Mecca - Undeniable
Lionville - Lionville
Beggars and Thieves - We Are the Brokenhearted
Fifth Angel - Time Will Tell
Plus 4 Pendragon albums (a prog band I'm getting into)

Thanks guys for some of these recommendations and helping me find some more amazing AOR.  Gonna look for some more Europe today me thinks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
I've been listening to Pendragon on Grooveshark.  Digging it very much.  For some reason I thought you were in the 'fogey' club.  Well, you've got a lot of good mid/late 80s glam rock to get exposed to I guess.  For Europe, I only have TFC, Out of This World, and PiP.  Lost touch with them after that.  I've got The Magnificent, and eager to know how Mecca is.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
It's all good mate, I really believe I'm a fogey at heart.

Anyway, lowdz recommends Mecca;

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=30052.msg1170225#msg1170225

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »
Wolf, great call in ordering Fifth Angel - Time will Tell...............just do yourself a favor and get their self titled asap as well.  Two of my favorite discs of all time and a great band.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
Wow. This is a wonderful thread to find randomly on my saturday morning.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
I love Europe but can't get into their modern stuff at all. Everything from Wings Of Tomorrow to the awesome Prisoners In Paradise was quality. There is just something about Joey Tempest's voice that's pleasing to my ears.
Re the dvd, is Ready Or Not on it? And does John Norum make a balls up of the solo like every version I've ever heard?

Europe's Out of This World was one of the first albums (cassette for me, actually :lol) that I listened to frequently from start to finish (probably after The Police's Synchronicity, Thriller and INXS' Kick), back in 1988 when I was 15. :biggrin:

And it is worth mentioning again that Dream Theater reminded me a lot of Europe when I first heard them: dramatic rock with an operatic singer and a cool use of keys.  It didn't take long for me to realize the massive difference, but that was my first impression, and I suspect that is why I liked DT so much at first, because they reminded me of Europe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2012, 03:30:04 AM »
Wolf, great call in ordering Fifth Angel - Time will Tell...............just do yourself a favor and get their self titled asap as well.  Two of my favorite discs of all time and a great band.

Yeah man, after checking the title track out I was instantly sold.  The site I ordered from only had the second album so I'll go elsewhere for the debut.

Speaking of glam, this weekend I have gotten out my old Lizzy Borden cd's.  Not so much AOR or melodic rock, but a wonderful glam/metal band back in the day who are very underrated IMO.  My fav would actualyl be the 2000 release Deal With the Devil, killer tunes all the way through, although the only one I need to get is Visual Lies.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
Not heard any Lizzy Borden, will have to sample some on YT.

If we're talking Glam then this is a masterpiece of the genre. If you haven't heard it you need to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
lowdz, you're knowledge on old school glam and aor simply astound me.  Never heard of that album either.  Lizzy Borden is more metal than glam.  they only had one real album where they did more radio AOR style stuff.  Check out these beauty's;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vchm-RrXtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6KK07T0gI

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
Lizzy Borden rules!!!!  Visual Lies is their most melodic/glam disc I guess, but every single disc they have released is stellar.  Their latest, Appointment with Death is awesome.  But they are for sure more on the straight up metal side

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2012, 02:40:11 AM »
Lizzy Borden rules!!!!  Visual Lies is their most melodic/glam disc I guess, but every single disc they have released is stellar.  Their latest, Appointment with Death is awesome.  But they are for sure more on the straight up metal side

Man, I need to get Visual Lies, especially if that's their most melodic one, cause as I said it's the only one I don't own.  And yeah, Appointment with Death was really really strong.

NP: Hell is for Heroes!!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2012, 05:57:35 AM »
The Murderess Metal Road Show  :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
lowdz, you're knowledge on old school glam and aor simply astound me.  Never heard of that album either.  Lizzy Borden is more metal than glam.  they only had one real album where they did more radio AOR style stuff.  Check out these beauty's;

Well thanks Wolfie, but it's just a product of being there with a decent expendable income at the time! the mid-late 90s were the lost years for me. Hardly bought a thing and didn't get into many new bands.
Checked out the YT clips and quite enjoyed it. Will definately check out an album or two.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »

Well thanks Wolfie, but it's just a product of being there with a decent expendable income at the time! the mid-late 90s were the lost years for me. Hardly bought a thing and didn't get into many new bands.
Checked out the YT clips and quite enjoyed it. Will definately check out an album or two.

Cool mate, definitely check them out!

I was just watching that DVD last night.  Great show.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »

I own this on Vinyl and CD  Great album and really catches the essence of the band in the live format
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
Ok, so checked out Deal With The Devil and Visual lies. Pretty good I have to say. Prefer DWTD of the two as VL sounds a bit dated- not that that would be a bad thing if I'd heard it back in the day- but I find it hard to get into "new" stuff from back in the day now.

And here's today's recommendations for anyone who's interested.

Guitars by the excellent Mike Slamer (who played on everyone's albums in the 80s- he was Warrant, amongst others!). Many of these songs have been done by other bands like Hardline, house Of Lords etc.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »
Today's blast from the past is this gem that went unnoticed in 1992. It has guitars from the always awesome Gary Hoey and Cats In Boots vocalist Joel Ellis. Lots of energy to it- no pink and fluffy keyboards here.

While your at it, the Cats In Boots album is worth checking out but it's a bit sleazier/punkier.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »
Love Mike Slamer's guitar playing.  Really enjoyed his Seventh Key project with Billy Greer and Terry Brock.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »
Never heard of Mike Slamer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Never heard of Mike Slamer.

He is originally from the band City Boy.  I still have to pick up those Steelhouse Lane albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2012, 03:34:08 AM »
Ok, so checked out Deal With The Devil and Visual lies. Pretty good I have to say. Prefer DWTD of the two as VL sounds a bit dated- not that that would be a bad thing if I'd heard it back in the day- but I find it hard to get into "new" stuff from back in the day now.

And here's today's recommendations for anyone who's interested.

Guitars by the excellent Mike Slamer (who played on everyone's albums in the 80s- he was Warrant, amongst others!). Many of these songs have been done by other bands like Hardline, house Of Lords etc.

I ordered both of these albums last night!!  :metal

Glad you liked Deal With the Devil, it's a fantastic album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2012, 04:56:08 AM »
Two fne albums there.
Enjoying the LB stuff and can't believe I missed them first time round. I was put off by the image and never gave the music a chance. Strange though because I am a huge KISS and Alice fan. Go figure. Voice reminds me of a young Geoff Tate.
Another band I've recently grown to love after ignoring them in the past is Running Wild.

Today's recommendation is this great album. They have a new one due soon which I'm looking forward to. I'd never heard them until they played Firefest a few years ago. They blew me away. They played this album in it's entirety.

Have you heard the new Fate album? That is really good. Probably better than any of their previous allbums.
And the new Angeline album is very good too. Very Harem Scarem.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »

No it's not on the DVD, on of my fave Europe songs.
Norum nails EVERYTHING down, including a beautiful rendition of Gary Moore's classic, 'The Loner'.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
Two fne albums there.
Enjoying the LB stuff and can't believe I missed them first time round. I was put off by the image and never gave the music a chance. Strange though because I am a huge KISS and Alice fan. Go figure. Voice reminds me of a young Geoff Tate.
Another band I've recently grown to love after ignoring them in the past is Running Wild.

Today's recommendation is this great album. They have a new one due soon which I'm looking forward to. I'd never heard them until they played Firefest a few years ago. They blew me away. They played this album in it's entirety.

Have you heard the new Fate album? That is really good. Probably better than any of their previous allbums.
And the new Angeline album is very good too. Very Harem Scarem.

Glad your enjoying the LB.  O saw Fate had a new album but I haven't checked it out.  I need to get into more Fate, I only have their first album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
Man, I digging Time Will Tell from Fifth Angel, great melodic rock cd.  Cathedral, Midnight Love, Broken Dreams, Time Will Tell, Angel of Mercy, Feel The Heat, terrific songs.  I gotta get me the debut.  These guys should have been a lot more popular.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Man, I digging Time Will Tell from Fifth Angel, great melodic rock cd.  Cathedral, Midnight Love, Broken Dreams, Time Will Tell, Angel of Mercy, Feel The Heat, terrific songs.  I gotta get me the debut.  These guys should have been a lot more popular.

The debut is a must!! Supposedly they are working on new material that should surface this year, but who knows.  They should have been much much bigger- they are basically unknowns, but still have a cult following.  Two outstanding releases.  Trust me, get the first one, the two go great hand in hand.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Right, I'm gonna order it tonight.