Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564349 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2011, 02:33:33 AM »
No. It's a scandinavian band. Checked out a sampple when I first saw it but it's not the Gioellis.
Agree about Leaving The End Open. There was even some progginess to it. The 2nd album was woefull though. Johnny is a great singer, melodic and powerful. He lifts the Axel Rudi Pell stuff up a league.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »
Damn, I really had my hopes up there.  Love AXP, he has had so many killer albums.  Masquerade Ball and Kings and Queens are probably my favs, but all of them are killer.  Tales of the Crown was amazing too.  The Crest was okay but average compared to Crown.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:50 AM »
Is this Hardline with Johnny and Josh Ramos???  Leaving the End Open was amazing, I did not know about this one, holy shit!!!

Dunno... it was apparently released in March.

Scrap the excitement.  This is another "Hardline" - Norwegian hardrockband founded in 1984. Now releasing their second album, 27 years after their debut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Y0eZjV2Fg

Nothing to see here.  Move along.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »
My favorite AXP album is Nasty Reputation; because the vocals are done by the great Rob Rock.  Rock might just have the best melodic metal voice of all time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »
My favorite AXP album is Nasty Reputation; because the vocals are done by the great Rob Rock.  Rock might just have the best melodic metal voice of all time.

I'm a fan of Rob Rock too.  The MARS CD he did with T-Mac was excellent, and I love his Garden of Chaos album, good disc.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
All of Rob Rocks material is kick ass, but I think MARS and DRIVER are the main standouts for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
All of Rob Rocks material is kick ass, but I think MARS and DRIVER are the main standouts for me.

I loved seeing T-mac in that sort of band enviorment.  his amazing style really complimented the songs well.  His Eyes of the World cd was a great listen too.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
A fantastic melodic hard rock band is Circle II Circle, one of my favs and very underated

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
I still need to order THe Magnificant.  I am yet to hear anything from it.

Just finished getting thru it.  It's appropriately named.  Now on to something else I stumbled upon - Amaran's Plight.  Gary Wehrkamp, DC Cooper and Nick D’Virgilio ... not sure how you can go wrong. 

Anyone know it?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
A fantastic melodic hard rock band is Circle II Circle, one of my favs and very underated

Circle II Circle is also one of my favs.  Every album is amazing.  I actually listened to Burden of Truth and Delusions of Grandeur this morning.  The production is lacking on Delusions and Consequence, but they are still amazing.  Burden of Truth is by far my fav, what a record.  Andy Lee is such an underrated guitarist too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »

Just finished getting thru it.  It's appropriately named.  Now on to something else I stumbled upon - Amaran's Plight.  Gary Wehrkamp, DC Cooper and Nick D’Virgilio ... not sure how you can go wrong. 

Anyone know it?

Yeah, I have it, but I've only spun it a couple of times.  I might get it out and have another spin.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
Burden of Truth is by far my favorite C2C disc too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2011, 03:04:42 AM »
Burden of Truth is by far my favorite C2C disc too.

Yeah, it's in first place by a long shot. It's a near perfect album IMO.  Great songs, wonderful production, blazing guitar work and Zak sounds great.  My fav tracks are Sentenced, Messiah, Who Am I To Be? Burden of Truth and Revelations.  Such an underrated album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
Well if we're talking bands like Allen/Lande and Circle II Circle, is there any love for the awesome (but deceptively named!) Nocturnal Rites? I had these guys down as a Church burning, Death Metal band with one of those logos you can't read, wearing Gene Simmons/King Diamond inspired makeup, and was amazed to actually find a melodic metal band who are awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
Well if we're talking bands like Allen/Lande and Circle II Circle, is there any love for the awesome (but deceptively named!) Nocturnal Rites? I had these guys down as a Church burning, Death Metal band with one of those logos you can't read, wearing Gene Simmons/King Diamond inspired makeup, and was amazed to actually find a melodic metal band who are awesome.

:lol  Amazing band, also one of my favs.  I actually loved the last one, even though the review were poor.  Shame the guitarist left, he was the strongest link IMO.  Grand Illusion and New World Messiah are probably my favs though.  So many damn good hooks and melodies throughout their songs.  Afterlife was great for something different too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »
After poking around Frontier's website, and finding that Amanda Somerville had done vocal coaching with Epica, After Forever and Avantasia projects, I just had a listen to Alloy from Trillium.  Boy, sure wish I had done that a few days ago - coulda used it for Nick's growlie round.  One track has Jorn kinda growling.

Pretty sweet.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »
The only Nocturnal Rites disc that I am familiar with is Afterlife; bought it after being very impressed with the tune Wake Up Dead.  What is considered their best album?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2011, 03:54:12 AM »
The only Nocturnal Rites disc that I am familiar with is Afterlife; bought it after being very impressed with the tune Wake Up Dead.  What is considered their best album?

Not sure what is considered the best.  My favs are Grand Illusion and New World Messiah.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2011, 04:22:20 AM »

Not sure what is considered the best.  My favs are Grand Illusion and New World Messiah.

Yeah. any of these and the 8th Sin are great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »

Yeah. any of these and the 8th Sin are great.

Good to see some appreciation for that album.  I never understood all the negative reviews.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
The 8th Sin is VERY poppy, but from what I heard from it, it wasn't bad. I haven't made it through the whole album yet. Will have to give it another listen soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
The 8th Sin is VERY poppy, but from what I heard from it, it wasn't bad. I haven't made it through the whole album yet. Will have to give it another listen soon.

That's one of the reasons why I love it.  Very catchy and melodic.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
Just had a listen to this:

Very nice.  Gonna try and check out Second Coming and Trinity before the week's out.

Edit... duh, now I know why I've heard the name before, JLB sang on one of their track's from Trinity, and they toured with DT.   :facepalm:  Europe gets this, and we get Trivium.  Unfair!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »

Anyone know it?

I know it well.  My copy is signed :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
Just had a listen to this:

Very nice.  Gonna try and check out Second Coming and Trinity before the week's out.

Edit... duh, now I know why I've heard the name before, JLB sang on one of their track's from Trinity, and they toured with DT.   :facepalm:  Europe gets this, and we get Trivium.  Unfair!

Second Coming and Trinity are both better than the debut IMO.  Both amazing album, pick them up right away.  A shame that Michael has left the band.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
I know it well.  My copy is signed :)

Boastful prick!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
excuse me for showing my age but 70/80's AOR  ...stood for Album Oriented Rock  and to me brings to mind band's like STYX/Journey/Foreigner/Fleetwood Mac/Eagles  were as Radio stations focused on an album as a whole, not just the singles thus giving DJ's a looser rotation of songs to play   Alot of the bands being mentioned in this thread I don't see fitting that format 
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
I got to agree with Bill/wkiml on this, a lot of the stuff here I wouldn't characterize as AOR.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
I guess Melodic and AOR are two different things.  AOR typically is Melodic in nature, but the Melodic genre isn't exclusively AOR.  IE, the two aren't synonymous.

I agree with what 70s/80s AOR was and how it started.  Nowadays, I just think of AOR as non-radio friendly bands with albums that don't have any 'filler'.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
Melodic rock I think is a looser term than AOR and I'd agree with your examples. I'm not a big AOR fan (too many keyboards and it all sounds a bit too polished for me) but more a MR fan. I felt that we were getting a bit off topic with the likes of Circle 2 Circle and Allen Lande but they are certainly melodic, but probably melodic Metal.

Anyway, today's playlist for me has been Stryper's To Hell With The Devil, In God We Trust and Against The Law. I'm not a Christian at all but there is some melodic rock perfection in there. Pretty VH in places.

Also been playing Magnum's Wings Of Heaven  :metal

and Leverage's Tides  :hefdaddy If you like The Magnificent album (and it's grown on me alot) this will blow you away.

In a more AOR vein is Prime Suspect's ST from 2010. Daniel Liverani is a talented guy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »
Agree, they are two different types of music.  But since there is little talk about either style of music, I sort of wanted to cover all of it in this thread, which seems to have worked.  :)

And yes, Wings of Heaven is amazing.  Don't Wake the Lion and Wild Swan are absolutely brilliant.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »
Today I've been listening to these awesome albums

Y&T- Meanstreak, In Rock We Trust, 10. Truly great band. Awesome live too.
Coney Hatch- ST and Outta Hand. Don't Say make Me is one of my favourite songs ever. They were let down a bit by the songs they let the bass player sing. Carl Dixon has a great voice.
TNT-Tell No Tales, Intuition (a bit of a letdown this one after tell No Tales, though the title track slays)

It's been a good day.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2011, 02:57:16 PM »
Tony Harnell is possibly the most underrated vocalist of all time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
Tony Harnell is possibly the most underrated vocalist of all time.

True. I swear he sings notes only dogs can hear.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »
Carl Dixon has a great great voice and I think Coney Hatch is one of the best pure Canadian rock bands to come out of the country.