Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564347 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
Whats the opinion of the Allen/Lande discs.  For me, they are the quintessential modern AOR discs.  Not sure which is my favorite; if I had to pick one, it would be the first.  But they are all great.  Gotta admit though, there are certain songs that are difficult to distinguish who is singing.

Just discovered them about a monh ago, and absolutely love them. I love the blend oftwo of my favor things ... Allen and melodic rock. Never knew Lande before this. Some songs are fluffy, but that's ok. So far, The Battle is he one I like the best.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
Whats the opinion of the Allen/Lande discs.  For me, they are the quintessential modern AOR discs.  Not sure which is my favorite; if I had to pick one, it would be the first.  But they are all great.  Gotta admit though, there are certain songs that are difficult to distinguish who is singing.

I wouldn't call them AOR, they are a bit more Metal than that. They are good though. It's nice to hear Russell Allen on something more melodic than his day job. Magnus Karlsson's other projects are good too, especially Starbreaker with TNT's Tony Harnell. Last Tribe were a good band.

I am such a Karlsson fanboy.  All three Allen/Lande discs are three of my fav albums of all time, they are just absolutely perfect, especially the first one.  Everything Karlsson produces turns to gold.  Last Tribe is probably his best work IMO.  Witch's Dance and Uncrowned are perfect melodic metal discs.  Karlsson is also one of the most underrated guitarists on the scene, his chops, melodies and phrising is unmatched.  I love everything from this guys, check out;

Starbreaker
Last Tribe
Allen/Lande
The Codex
Tony O'Hora
Kiske/Sommerville
Midnight Sun
Bob Catley (Immortal)
Planet Alliance
Primal Fear/Scheepers

He also does a few solos on the new Kimball/Jamison record.  Really good AOR with songs written by Robert Sall, Richard Page, John Waite, Erik Martensson and Jim Peterik plus others.  It has Mat Sinner and Alex from Primal Fear so is basically 3 Primal Fear members doing an AOR with these two.  :lol

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
Nice to see apprieciation for Allen/Lande; especially Wolf listing them as some of his all time favorites.  Another one of my all time favorite bands, I guess they are a little heavier then typical AOR, is Fifth Angel.  Any opinions of them?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
Nice to see apprieciation for Allen/Lande; especially Wolf listing them as some of his all time favorites.  Another one of my all time favorite bands, I guess they are a little heavier then typical AOR, is Fifth Angel.  Any opinions of them?

Never heard of them.  Reccomend me a couple of songs.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »

Never heard of them.  Reccomend me a couple of songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieLSQujmyhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNHl9bswEeE
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
Fifth Angel only had two albums; a self titled and the follow-up "Time Will Tell".  Hopefully there will be new material in 2012

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
Fifth Angel only had two albums; a self titled and the follow-up "Time Will Tell".  Hopefully there will be new material in 2012

Been waiting on New Material for years but have just about given up hope....Without Ted Pilot  I can't see than bad doing much I believe Archer is the only original member left  ...where is Samsara ( the resident Fifth Angel expert) to back me on this

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »
As for Zebra  everyone seems to be familiar with Take your Fingers  for obvious reasons

Try these Who's behind the Door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe7iYcIwArw

Wait until the Summers Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lbipOFALOE

The La La song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOG1ceSl9f4

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
I can never get enough of Zebra's first album and I love the song from their 3rd album  HE'S MAKING YOU THE FOOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvbZkfYkbN0
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
I think Zebra should've been much bigger, as well as the band Angel.  Both bands had all the ingrediants for sucess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
I listened to Whitesnake's self titled in its entirety for the first time, and it was decent. Still Of The Night is my favorite of theirs, but the album's main flaw is that a lot of its songs start the same way as SOTN. It was still an enjoyable listen.

7/10

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »
I listened to Whitesnake's self titled in its entirety for the first time, and it was decent. Still Of The Night is my favorite of theirs, but the album's main flaw is that a lot of its songs start the same way as SOTN. It was still an enjoyable listen.

7/10

By start the same way, I assume you mean just that quick guitar slide they all do? That's a pretty minor flaw, I must say. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Well it would be like if the majority of the songs on Awake began with the 6:00 drum fill. Or the majority of the songs on Snowfall on Judgment Day ended with a DUN DUN DUN. Oh wait...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
The opening fill of 6:00 is a little bit more distinctive and unique than just a half second guitar slide though. I actually kind of like that half of the songs start that way. :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2011, 03:06:15 AM »

7/10

By start the same way, I assume you mean just that quick guitar slide they all do? That's a pretty minor flaw, I must say. :lol

I remember when I bought Yngwie's Alchemy album and noted that every song started with the same glissando. Not sure that's what ruined the album for me as the crap songs did that but I remember being less than impressed with everything starting the same way. Never noticed with the Whitesnake though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:20 AM »

7/10

I remember when I bought Yngwie's Alchemy album and noted that every song started with the same glissando. Not sure that's what ruined the album for me as the crap songs did that but I remember being less than impressed with everything starting the same way. Never noticed with the Whitesnake though.

Alchemy is by far Malmsteen's best record IMHO, and is one of my fav records of all time.  Very strong songs IMO and Mark Boals best performance ever recorded.  Magic record.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2011, 04:28:09 AM »
Blob, those slides are so similar that I thought my iPod goofed and played Still of The Night out of order. Then another song had it and then another and it was old. Anyway, have you heard The Magnificent yet?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2011, 05:32:22 AM »

7/10

Alchemy is by far Malmsteen's best record IMHO, and is one of my fav records of all time.  Very strong songs IMO and Mark Boals best performance ever recorded.  Magic record.
Yeah, I agree. Alchemy is excellent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2011, 05:52:23 AM »

7/10

Yeah, I agree. Alchemy is excellent!

Seems like it's just me then. I didn't like anything about it. It was the start of the end of my llove for Yngwie.  It was even worse coming after the excellent Facing The Animal.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
Were any of you disappointed with the next Whitesnake album that had Steve Vai?  I remember thinking that Steve Vai didn't sound like Vai at all.  No little Vai riffs it was as if they wanted him to be a Sykes clone.  No I love Sykes but I wanted to here what Vai had to offer to the band and maybe I was disappointed in that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:17 AM »
Were any of you disappointed with the next Whitesnake album that had Steve Vai?  I remember thinking that Steve Vai didn't sound like Vai at all.  No little Vai riffs it was as if they wanted him to be a Sykes clone.  No I love Sykes but I wanted to here what Vai had to offer to the band and maybe I was disappointed in that.

I find Slip of the Tongue very disappointing. Aside from a couple of songs, I don't listen to it at all. To me it sounds distinctly like Vai, maybe he just restrained himself because it was a band, and not a solo album.
Either way, Vai has never impressed me in a band situation, even when he's playing with artists I otherwise love, like Whitesnake and DLR.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »
I always thought Vai had a few Vai-isms :lol in DLR's music.  Like Hot Dog & a Shake.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »

I find Slip of the Tongue very disappointing. Aside from a couple of songs, I don't listen to it at all. To me it sounds distinctly like Vai, maybe he just restrained himself because it was a band, and not a solo album.
Either way, Vai has never impressed me in a band situation, even when he's playing with artists I otherwise love, like Whitesnake and DLR.

I like SOTT but it's a long way from classic Whitesnake. I was a big fan of the previous era from Come And Get It onwards. And I love Vai on Eat 'em And Smile. Skyscraper was poor though, bar a couple of songs.

Just listened to a couple of classic albums that fall in this thread.

The best album under the KISS monicker by far.

and

The definitive AOR album for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »
Both fantasic records.  I listened to Paul and Ace's solo albums a few weeks ago and just yesterday to Vital Signs at work.

Does anybody listen to Gene's and Peter's at all?! :lol  I don't.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »

I don't listen to any of them at all.   :yeahright

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:22 AM »

Have you heard them? The Paul Stanley is a great rock album. Ace's is good but his voice is an acquired taste. Rip It Out is the first song I taught myself to play on guitar.
The ballaad I Can't Stop The Rain on Peter Criss' album is good but the rest is awful.
Gene's album was a real disappointment but then again I was never a big fan of his songs in KISS.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »

Have you heard them? The Paul Stanley is a great rock album. Ace's is good but his voice is an acquired taste. Rip It Out is the first song I taught myself to play on guitar.

Yeah, I've heard them. Paul and Ace's ones easily seemed to be the better of the bunch, but the songwriting didn't jump out at me, and I can't handle a whole album of Ace (as much as I like his voice in small doses), but at least they were the rockier of the 4 solo albums. Gene's was a cheap cash in attempt that wasn't any good, and Peter's one is too soft.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2011, 10:08:37 AM »
Ace's solo album is a fantastic disc.  Paul's is very good, but behind Ace for sure.  I've never actually listened to Gene or Peters, but I've read countless negative reviews and all the samples I've listened to sound pretty poor.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »

I can totally see how any Vai-solo fan going back nowadays (or after the fact) would see it as him being constrained.  Myself, having gotten it on first release 20+ years ago, I loved SotT - as evidenced by my top 50 update on the weekend.  I didn't really know any VAI on his own, so him on SotT was (as an 18 year old accustomed to pure "glam") a step above anything else.  Still love it better than their S/T.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »

Yeah, I've heard them. Paul and Ace's ones easily seemed to be the better of the bunch, but the songwriting didn't jump out at me, and I can't handle a whole album of Ace (as much as I like his voice in small doses), but at least they were the rockier of the 4 solo albums. Gene's was a cheap cash in attempt that wasn't any good, and Peter's one is too soft.

Apparently it was one of the most expensive albums ever made at that time. A waste of money for sure- though I do quite like a couple of the softer songs- Mr Makebelieve, See You Tonight, Always Near You/Nowhere To Hide.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
Blob, those slides are so similar that I thought my iPod goofed and played Still of The Night out of order. Then another song had it and then another and it was old. Anyway, have you heard The Magnificent yet?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
I still need to order THe Magnificant.  I am yet to hear anything from it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
I tried the samples from the Frontiers website, and loved it.  Thankfully, it's on Grooveshark now, so I can check out the whole thing.

https://grooveshark.com/#/album/The+Magnificent/7219380

and damn... right from the first chord/intro, I'm loving it.  Think I'll be ordering this now too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
Anyone have this year's Hardline?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
Anyone have this year's Hardline?

Is this Hardline with Johnny and Josh Ramos???  Leaving the End Open was amazing, I did not know about this one, holy shit!!!