Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564296 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
That sounds like a great road trip Jingle.Boy. Two great albums. The only time I remember buying two cds at once that blew me away were Dokken's Back For The Attack and Joe Satriani's Surfing With The Alien. That was a great day.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »
I am one of those guys that prefer the debut to Screw It.  Revolve though is one of the best melodic rock albums I've ever heard.  It's close to perfect.

Yeah, agree about Revolve. The only track that isn't awesome for me is the opener.
What band are you guys talking about? :laugh:

Danger Danger.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
That sounds like a great road trip Jingle.Boy. Two great albums. The only time I remember buying two cds at once that blew me away were Dokken's Back For The Attack and Joe Satriani's Surfing With The Alien. That was a great day.
For some reason, I always bought tapes in pairs. Stil remember coming home with Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind and Riot's Narita on one Spring day in 1983.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
I am one of those guys that prefer the debut to Screw It.  Revolve though is one of the best melodic rock albums I've ever heard.  It's close to perfect.

Yeah, agree about Revolve. The only track that isn't awesome for me is the opener.

Danger Danger  :dangerwillrobinson:   :lol

Edit ... whoops, forgot to follow thru to page 2 before replying.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »

there was a lot more that I 'hauled' on that road trip.  Right Here, Right Now (VH), Unboxed (Sammy Hagar), Out of This World (Europe), I think I got that Aldo Nova CD then too, Rockhead, Magnet to Steel (Crissy Steele), Exposed (Vince Neil), In the Heart of the Young (Winger).  I have no idea why I remember what CD's I got that weekend.  I thought there was more that I didn't remember (ie, hammered and hungover)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
Anyone check out The Magnificent yet?

This album is amazing and my album of the year. Right now Russell Allen and Michael Eriksen are battling it out for my favorite vocalist.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

Danger Danger  :dangerwillrobinson:   :lol

Edit ... whoops, forgot to follow thru to page 2 before replying.

I'm pretty sure TAC was making a joke as the first song is titled, 'That's What I'm Talking About.'  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

This album is amazing and my album of the year. Right now Russell Allen and Michael Eriksen are battling it out for my favorite vocalist.

Album of the year Zook??!!  I only made you aware of this a few days ago.  :tup  I better hurry up and order this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »
Damn Yankees were short-lived, but great.  The debut was good, and the second album, Don't Tread, is one helluva hard rock album.  Silence is Broken has one of my favorite solo sections of all-time. Ted Nugent's solo is terrific, and the acoustic lead Tommy Shaw plays underneath it is one of the coolest things ever. :coolio

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »

Album of the year Zook??!!  I only made you aware of this a few days ago.  :tup  I better hurry up and order this.

Hell yeah, it's that good. I traded a bunch of stuff in at Zia just to get this. I needed it. If you haven't heard any of it yet, the best I can describe it is Whitesnake meets Bon Jovi, but with minimal to no cheese. Just infection melodies, solid music, and an incredible performance by Michael Eriksen. My next CD purchase was supposed to be This Mortal Coil, but thanks to you, I now own this wonderful CD.

Also, if any one you like Annette's (new Nightwish singer) voice, check out her old band Alyson Avenue. They also capture that 80s sound extremely well. Think Pat Benatar meets 80s Heart.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:30 PM »
Great that's made such a good impression, I'm sure I'll love it.  Will order ASAP.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »
Yeah Damn Yankees was a great band, too bad they didnt stick around longer.  Never heard of The Magnificent, but just checked out the samples on Amazon; sounds awesome.  This is a great thread.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 06:41:30 AM »
Both DY discs are fantastic (I don't think they did more than two???).  Let's, see, what else can I pull from the vault ... White Lion?  Too much glam?  Either way, Vito Bratta was one helluva guitar player.  They had some standout tracks, but they also had a few whiffs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 07:29:01 AM »
Both DY discs are fantastic (I don't think they did more than two???).  Let's, see, what else can I pull from the vault ... White Lion?  Too much glam?  Either way, Vito Bratta was one helluva guitar player.  They had some standout tracks, but they also had a few whiffs.

There is a 3rd DY's album in the vault that they recorded a few years ago.  I hope they release it.

Also White Lion was great.  Loved Vito as a guitar player.  I've allways loved and TAC knows this, Stone Fury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hynC3Fawhwo
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »
Yeah Damn Yankees was a great band, too bad they didnt stick around longer.  Never heard of The Magnificent, but just checked out the samples on Amazon; sounds awesome.  This is a great thread.

The Magnificent is ok but it didn't hold my interest all the way through. Great performences but everything seemed a bit same-y. Will give it a few more plays.

Preferred the Steel Panther... :blush

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »
Preferred the Steel Panther... :blush

Oh dear.

Speaking of White Lion, their latest album, Return of the Pride was an excellent piece of melodic rock, I really enjoyed it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »

Only really liked Pride and Mane Attraction. They went too soft with the follow up to Pride, only 1-2 good tracks on Big Game.

Is it safe to mention Winger yet~? Much maligned but a great band. Pull is a great Rock album. In The Heart Of The Young is a great pop rock album (with a hint of prog/pomp- see Rainbow In The Rose, In The Heart Of The Young)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
Winger are one of my all time fav bands.  Every album IMO is quality, and such a technically amazing band, great musicians.  I'd rank the albums;

Pull
Winger
In the Heart of the Young

But really every album is near the same level of quality.  Great, great band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Daaaaamn Wolf, I love IV
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
Daaaaamn Wolf, I love IV

Man, so do I, I really do, great record, but as I said, all albums are absolute quality and really their rankings change from time to time.  They are all really equal in quality.  Man, just thinking about IV now, I absolutely love No Leaf Clover and The Great Escape, maybe it does deserve to be higher on the list.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »
Winger is a fantastic band.  Kip Winger is a great songwriter and they are highly underated; maybe due to Bevis and Butthead.  I know wolf is a big fan of the Tony Martin era Sabbath, as I am a huge fan as well.  Just read on blabbermouth that Tony Martin and Dario Mollo will be releasing the "Third Cage" via Frontiers Records on January 24th.  They have a few samples posted.  It definetly has an AOR vibe along with Martin era Sabbath sound.  Sounds very very good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »
You know, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't checked out any The Cage albums yet.  Should look into that.

Another one that I love with Tony Martin is his work with Guintini.  I only have the third album, but it's absolutely killer.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »
Have you heard Rondenelli- "Our Cross, Our Sins" featuring Bobby Rondenelli, Neil Murray and Tony Martin.  If not, get it asap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »
Have you heard Rondenelli- "Our Cross, Our Sins" featuring Bobby Rondenelli, Neil Murray and Tony Martin.  If not, get it asap.

I saw that in store a couple of years ago and didn't pick it up.  When I went back it was gone.  Should get that one again.

I was watching Sabbath live in Moscow 1989 DVD last night.  Great stuff, Tony was singing quite well in his early Sabbath days.  He sounded pretty good on the Dio stuff too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
OK, must check out Rondinelli.
The Damn Yankees debut was disappointing IMO. Should've had more teeth. Didn't check out anything else after that.
Winger :facepalm: Easily the most disappointed I have EVER been in an album when I picked up their first album. Two guys from Alice Cooper's band, Rod Morganstein, and Reb Beech, and they put out the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »
Inb4 Cosmo post his TAC Winger picture. :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
OK, must check out Rondinelli.
The Damn Yankees debut was disappointing IMO. Should've had more teeth. Didn't check out anything else after that.
Winger :facepalm: Easily the most disappointed I have EVER been in an album when I picked up their first album. Two guys from Alice Cooper's band, Rod Morganstein, and Reb Beech, and they put out the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard.

re Winger, Shame you started (and finished) with that one as it's easily their worst.

I enjoyed most of the 1st Damn Yankees but album no 2 was better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
First album is killer, bitches!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »
First album is killer, bitches!!

Some of it is.

Anyway, today's selection of Melodic Rock is

and

Not everyone's cup of tea but two of my favourites. The Keel is certainly not unanimously loved but it is chez Lowdz. And yes, that cover is incredibly sad.

and this is a desert island disc for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »
I've always meant to check out more of Pink Cream 69; I only checked out some of their material after being blown away by Better then Raw and wanting to check out more Andi Deris material.  What is considered Pink Cream's best album overall?  I have Hurricane"Over the Edge" and Keel "Right to Rock" and play them on a regular basis.   "I'm On To You" is one of my favorite 80's hair metal tunes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
I dunno whether Saxon counts as AOR, but fuck, this song's too great not to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcaiIr_ZY8&feature=related

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2011, 04:28:01 AM »
I've always meant to check out more of Pink Cream 69; I only checked out some of their material after being blown away by Better then Raw and wanting to check out more Andi Deris material.  What is considered Pink Cream's best album overall?  I have Hurricane"Over the Edge" and Keel "Right to Rock" and play them on a regular basis.   "I'm On To You" is one of my favorite 80's hair metal tunes.

For me PC69's best are Thunderdome, Electrified and In10sity. I defy anyone to listen to Shame from Electrified and not be singing it all day!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »
Whats the opinion of the Allen/Lande discs.  For me, they are the quintessential modern AOR discs.  Not sure which is my favorite; if I had to pick one, it would be the first.  But they are all great.  Gotta admit though, there are certain songs that are difficult to distinguish who is singing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
Whats the opinion of the Allen/Lande discs.  For me, they are the quintessential modern AOR discs.  Not sure which is my favorite; if I had to pick one, it would be the first.  But they are all great.  Gotta admit though, there are certain songs that are difficult to distinguish who is singing.

I wouldn't call them AOR, they are a bit more Metal than that. They are good though. It's nice to hear Russell Allen on something more melodic than his day job. Magnus Karlsson's other projects are good too, especially Starbreaker with TNT's Tony Harnell. Last Tribe were a good band.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »

That's one reason why I don't like those albums much. You've got two of the biggest voices in metal today, and it just blends together and uses neither vocalist to their potential. I found the music to be pretty weak too. Too soft and same-y.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.