Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568931 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v. but.......we expected so much more?! :(
« Reply #5075 on: September 28, 2017, 05:14:31 AM »
not 100%? Then it must be shit.  :lol
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v. but.......we expected so much more?! :(
« Reply #5076 on: September 28, 2017, 05:19:02 AM »
I need to check out this Aussie guy Darren Phillips and his project.   Has some decent guests he has got involved (members of Eclipse, Harem Scarem and Find Me etc... )  I was a bit iffy on it but after seeing the video below from a couple of the guests I am super pumped for this 

https://www.facebook.com/darrenphillipsproject/videos/1468241479936269/

That video was cringe-worthy.  Hopefully the music isn't.

I was being facetious if that wasn't apparent.    I couldn't stop watching it............especially that guy on the left.  He can barely contain his excitement at how awesome he is  :lol

I figured as much with respect to the video.  Wasn't sure if you were maybe a little interested in the music.  The audio didn't sound horrible.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5077 on: September 28, 2017, 05:21:11 AM »
I will be checking out the album on the weekend .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5078 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/LO9FkVdIgAQ

Video for one of the songs. Solid I guess. Nothing wrong with it but not jumping out at me.

I think I might have heard every song I'm ever going to love in this genre... I'm really considering not bothering with anything new and going the JJ 'nothing but the classics' route. That boys onto something 😀

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5079 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »
Just listening to the Scherer/Batten album and was expecting something interesting but nah  ;D   I didn't realise the whole thing was via the Peterik team  (Peterik, Aquino etc....) and Scherer sounds like Toby Hitchcock , so it really just sounds like a very basic Pride of Lions style with Batten on lead guitar.  Plenty of the songs are recycled from other projects of Peterik's.

I expected so much more  :lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:32:43 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5080 on: September 29, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »
The new album from Hell In The Club has some good stuff on it , but half filler.   The good songs were enjoyable though..

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5081 on: September 29, 2017, 04:32:27 AM »
The new album from Hell In The Club has some good stuff on it , but half filler.   The good songs were enjoyable though..

Cool... I'll give it a spin.  I enjoyed Shadow of the Monster well enough, but things just got very same the further I went back in their discography.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5082 on: September 29, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/LO9FkVdIgAQ

Video for one of the songs. Solid I guess. Nothing wrong with it but not jumping out at me.

I think I might have heard every song I'm ever going to love in this genre... I'm really considering not bothering with anything new and going the JJ 'nothing but the classics' route. That boys onto something 😀

Yeah, I'm surprised how much I've gone off this style too.  Obviously Dennis Ward singing here which is cool.  Sounds just like Khymera.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5083 on: September 29, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »

I have never ever heard of this band until about a month ago when I clicked on a youtube link.  It was kinda alright.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had a listen to the new Revolution Saints.

All I can say is "Don't give up after the first 3 tracks".    They are the absolute dregs of predictable, cookie cutter crap that we are getting so used to.   But then, magically , at track 4 it becomes quite a strong melodic rock album with a couple of decent ballads too.

Rating  81%.................dump the first 3 tracks (of 11) and it would be mid-high 80's.   There is a 12th track but it's just an acoustic version.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had a listen to the new Revolution Saints.

All I can say is "Don't give up after the first 3 tracks".    They are the absolute dregs of predictable, cookie cutter crap that we are getting so used to.   But then, magically , at track 4 it becomes quite a strong melodic rock album with a couple of decent ballads too.

Rating  81%.................dump the first 3 tracks (of 11) and it would be mid-high 80's.   There is a 12th track but it's just an acoustic version.

Nice Brent.  Had no expectations for this after what we've heard so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Now here's some half decent melodic rock.  From a project called Gathering of Kings, featuring Bjorn Strid and Martensson.  Not bad this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz1XqJj8TAs&feature=youtu.be

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Now here's some half decent melodic rock.  From a project called Gathering of Kings, featuring Bjorn Strid and Martensson.  Not bad this one.

Is Bjorn the guy from Night Flight Orchestra?  Sure sounds like it.

Offline Lowdz

Jesus, only played ten seconds of the intro and that is Ask The Lonely by Journey. Not even subtle!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Is Bjorn the guy from Night Flight Orchestra?  Sure sounds like it.

Sure is.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Jesus, only played ten seconds of the intro and that is Ask The Lonely by Journey. Not even subtle!
Will Frontiers even publish an album if it doesn't contain at least one Journey ripoff song?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
More cookie cutter crap. I quite like this style every now and then - brings back good memories - but there has to be something, anything in there that we haven't heard dozens of times before.

Could've been good as I like Bjorn's vocals but as a songwriter (with a few exceptions) Martennson just has no imagination at all.   I don't underestimate the difficulty/talent involved in writing good songs (the only project of mine that ever did anything took 4 years for 5 songs :lol  ) but this stuff just sounds made to order without any inspiration.

Having said that I won't write off the project just yet - hopefully this is the throwaway single  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

More cookie cutter crap. I quite like this style every now and then - brings back good memories - but there has to be something, anything in there that we haven't heard dozens of times before.

Could've been good as I like Bjorn's vocals but as a songwriter (with a few exceptions) Martennson just has no imagination at all.   I don't underestimate the difficulty/talent involved in writing good songs (the only project of mine that ever did anything took 4 years for 5 songs :lol  ) but this stuff just sounds made to order without any inspiration.

Having said that I won't write off the project just yet - hopefully this is the throwaway single  :-\

We need to hear it 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought it was a bit of a step up considering what Martensson has been doing lately.

EDIT:  Actually just saw Brent that this song is written by guitarist Victor Olsson.  So Martensson gets let off, for now. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:07:10 AM by wolfking »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So maybe it's contagious.  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So maybe it's contagious.  :)

Factories make machines don't forget.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

I see Al Frits, vocalist for a Drive She Said has died.
I liked the first album but they were sit too pink and fluffy for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah - Drive She Said was obviously considered a bit of an underground classic back in the day but never really got me interested.  The name Al Fritsch is certainly familiar - sad news.

As far as new music goes............if you're after something familiar but not quite THAT familiar that it drives you mad then the new Coldspell album is worth a spin folks.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
As far as new music goes............if you're after something familiar but not quite THAT familiar that it drives you mad then the new Coldspell album is worth a spin folks.

Cool... will spin it.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah - Drive She Said was obviously considered a bit of an underground classic back in the day but never really got me interested.  The name Al Fritsch is certainly familiar - sad news.

Yeah, played that one. Was above solid 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, this new Revolution Saints is fucking horrid.  The first album was so good but this is one of the most crap things I've heard in a long long time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, this new Revolution Saints is fucking horrid.  The first album was so good but this is one of the most crap things I've heard in a long long time.

I thought there were some decent songs after the first three which were shockers.   Pretty loose though - sounded rushed in the songwriting department which is par for the course with most albums these days

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought there were some decent songs after the first three which were shockers.   Pretty loose though - sounded rushed in the songwriting department which is par for the course with most albums these days

Just sounded like an even more run of the mill Frontiers production.  There was one song, I think the fourth which was good and glimpses here and there after that, but on a whole, just shit.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Just sounded like an even more run of the mill Frontiers production.  There was one song, I think the fourth which was good and glimpses here and there after that, but on a whole, just shit.

Kade... thanks for taking one for the team.   :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What if Deen were to try some blast beats on the next album Kade?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What if Deen were to try some blast beats on the next album Kade?

With the amount of substances he takes, he should be able to nail them big time.  :metal

Brent, no offense but perhaps your man crush or Aldrich is making you give this album the benefit of the doubt a lot more than it should, no?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent, no offense but perhaps your man crush or Aldrich is making you give this album the benefit of the doubt a lot more than it should, no?

Nah I don't think so.   After my second listen I rated it 81% so I'm not sure that is overwhelmingly positive.  I actually love Aldrich technically as a soloist but , with a few exceptions,  I have never really rated him a great songwriter.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Nah I don't think so.   After my second listen I rated it 81% so I'm not sure that is overwhelmingly positive.  I actually love Aldrich technically as a soloist but , with a few exceptions,  I have never really rated him a great songwriter.

Yeah, I agree on the songwriting part.  Just seems like such a decline from the first record to this one.

81 is still not too bad for you mate haha.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Who's the vocalist on Rev Saints?

EDIT:
I couldn't make it through 4 songs. The 3rd one was actually decent.

Brent...81%??? Does Melodic Rock have an opening in their Reviews Department that you are eyeing? C'mon, man.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:25:24 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who's the vocalist on Rev Saints?

EDIT:
I couldn't make it through 4 songs. The 3rd one was actually decent.

Brent...81%??? Does Melodic Rock have an opening in their Reviews Department that you are eyeing? C'mon, man.

Castronovo.

Haha, yeah Brent, as I said, a bit hight for you mate.  :lol