Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570756 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm compiling a list of bands I wouldn't want to accidentally run into! ;D

Honestly, most of you guys in this thread are must read posts for me, no matter what the subject. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Momentum was solid.  Nothing new/spectacular from them, but solid none-the-less.

That's the thing, I will listen eventually and probably enjoy it.  But something really has to be special for it to stick these days.

I hear ya.  I'm the exact same way.  There's so much great music A) that I already have and don't listen to enough, and B) is being release, that I'm getting much more selective of what gets replay value.  Perhaps it's my old(ish) age, and I'm just getting all :getoffmylawn:, but if something doesn't rate a B+ or higher in my rating scale, I'm shelving.  In 2016 alone, I had 43 albums that made the cut, and 70ish that didn't.  Momentum ranked B+, so I'll spin it a few more times no doubt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Momentum was solid.  Nothing new/spectacular from them, but solid none-the-less.

That's the thing, I will listen eventually and probably enjoy it.  But something really has to be special for it to stick these days.

I hear ya.  I'm the exact same way.  There's so much great music A) that I already have and don't listen to enough, and B) is being release, that I'm getting much more selective of what gets replay value.  Perhaps it's my old(ish) age, and I'm just getting all :getoffmylawn:, but if something doesn't rate a B+ or higher in my rating scale, I'm shelving.  In 2016 alone, I had 43 albums that made the cut, and 70ish that didn't.  Momentum ranked B+, so I'll spin it a few more times no doubt.

Yeah, I hear ya mate.  I just don't have the patience these days to persist with a lot of stuff.  I could be missing out on a lot by not giving things enough attention that they deserve, but I've listened to enough music I think to know if something will have replay value or not.

Honestly, most of you guys in this thread are must read posts for me, no matter what the subject. :)

:heart

*Insert Kip Winger fanboy comment here*
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I hear ya mate.  I just don't have the patience these days to persist with a lot of stuff.  I could be missing out on a lot by not giving things enough attention that they deserve, but I've listened to enough music I think to know if something will have replay value or not.

Exact-a-mundo.  I just don't have the time to give things repeated chances on the hopes that they 'click'.  I'll listen to a lot of things once, but if it doesn't at some level "wow" me, then I don't go back to it unless the gang here suggests otherwise.  For instance, Fractal Cypher last year didn't wow me... but on Brent's countdown, I was impressed.  So that will get a 2nd chance.  But, things like Unruly Child and Lionville - while enjoyable - were promptly discarded after 1 listen.  Sometimes I go against the grain (I really liked Hardline's release last year; Harem will be an auto-buy for me), but it's usually in those cases where I have a lot of history - and loyalty - with the band.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like Wolf and Chad need a spreadsheet for their music listening

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I've got about 8 or 9.

Seriously.  Three that I actively work:

1 - AOTY rankings (been keeping track of it for the last 4 years - mostly so that I can remember what I listened to already and don't needlessly go back to it)
2 - dates for pending releases (I keep track of movies and concerts here too)
3 - Bands that I want to check out (this is a huge list)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually started a list of 2017 albums I've checked out. I want to see how it stacks up the Brent's Best Of 2017 Podcast.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually started a list of 2017 albums I've checked out. I want to see how it stacks up the Brent's Best Of 2017 Podcast.

I tried that last year - probably checked out over 150 albums last year.  Not all of them got a full play... sometimes it only takes a song or two - or one stanza of growlies - to know that it's not for me.  I still ended up with 32 more to check out after Brent's best of podcasts.  :getoffmylawn:

After 3 months, I'm only at 22 albums (of 2017 releases).  Got slowed down with prep for ROSfest.

Back on topic... anyone checked out this one yet?

Solid, SOLID melodic rock.  I think one of you bastards might've posted about this one somewhere.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Way too much work j.  ;D

Never heard of Age of Reflection.

Offline Lowdz

In The Heat of The Night has to be about the most cliched title in the history of AOR so I can't imagine the music to be any more inspired than the title choice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"Solid" has become the joking term in this thread for more of the same predictable dross but not bad enough to be called "shite"  :lol

I do recall sampling that one but that's it.  I'm sure it's very listenable but like most here if it doesn't wow me I don't hang around long these days.  I am starting to wonder whether I might have a year off new releases altogether to be honest.  I have many hundreds of bands/albums already that I have set aside to check out properly (based on positive sampling) and yet I keep sampling more with far less chance of success .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
"Solid" has become the joking term in this thread for more of the same predictable dross but not bad enough to be called "shite"  :lol

Nah, solid's not a bad thing, it means it's consistently good. If something's shit, we just call it shit here. :lol
I checked out a track on Youtube, and it sounded like everything else though. Didn't do it for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Another new Harem Scarem track.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li7mOYvRo-4&feature=youtu.be

Rather snoozeworthy

WOW!! SHOCKING!!

I hate it already because it's called "United" and as a Liverpool fan I can't stand anything United related.  >:(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Nah, solid's not a bad thing, it means it's consistently good. If something's shit, we just call it shit here. :lol

Agreed... on my scale it goes

Tripe
Meh
Enjoyable
Needs a 2nd chance
Solid
Spotify-worthy
Purchase-worthy
AOTY contender

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was only being half serious - a couple of us WERE using "solid" as a joking term for the usual rubbish with a smiley a while back .

And by the "usual rubbish"/"more of the same" I mean pretty much what you guys are saying anyway - an album chock full of stuff that is "good" but totally not memorable.  The sort of stuff that is everywhere you look at the moment.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I was only being half serious - a couple of us WERE using "solid" as a joking term for the usual rubbish with a smiley a while back .

And by the "usual rubbish"/"more of the same" I mean pretty much what you guys are saying anyway - an album chock full of stuff that is "good" but totally not memorable.

Totally fair.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

And by the "usual rubbish"/"more of the same" I mean pretty much what you guys are saying anyway - an album chock full of stuff that is "good" but totally not memorable.  The sort of stuff that is everywhere you look at the moment.

I got your back mate.  :tup

I am starting to wonder whether I might have a year off new releases altogether to be honest.  I have many hundreds of bands/albums already that I have set aside to check out properly (based on positive sampling) and yet I keep sampling more with far less chance of success .

This is a big fucking call, but not totally unreasonable or shocking to be honest.  As I said, stuff like the Place Vendome and Eclipse I haven't even sampled which I'd normally be all over.  I'm more enjoying going back through lots of gems that I already have that have been glossed over unfairly in my time.

My only problem though Brent is if you stop sampling, that's less podcasts!  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not necessarily Kade - the way my life is at the moment there's other reasons that may interfere , but not a lack of sampling new releases.

I have literally thousands of albums that I either have here and haven't listened to - or I have them in a list to follow up on in more detail..............the odds of sampling that lot are much higher than random new releases so I would likely discover more gems to share in the time spent than what I am doing currently.

I dunno.........I probably won't be able to help myself with the new stuff but it might mean that a lot of stuff I have set aside after liking the samples might never be revisited.  Only so much time  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I dunno.........I probably won't be able to help myself with the new stuff but it might mean that a lot of stuff I have set aside after liking the samples might never be revisited.  Only so much time  :-\

I can agree with this too mate. Lots of stuff I'll listen to and think "Yeah, that's cool, I need to check that out," but I just never do, and seems like a waste of time checking it out in the first place.  Time is the obvious key factor here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The list of unlistened to things that I seem to be compiling the most is back catalogs of bands when I did discover something amazing from them - case in point... Heaven Below.  Good Morning Apocalypse was amazing, and there's a few back-releases I want to check out.  Yet, I seem to keep getting drawn into new bands and/or new releases.

If we just had the willpower to limit new releases to the bands we already know.  But - as you said Brent - I don't think I can help myself.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

Frontiers recent output can be categorised as Solid. Ordinary. Shit 😀
But ordinary has to be said with an Aussie accent, preferably Shane Warne's 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Frontiers recent output can be categorised as Solid. Ordinary. Shit 😀
But ordinary has to be said with an Aussie accent, preferably Shane Warne's 😀

Fucking legend Warnie.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've given a first listen to the new Crazy Lixx album. Not quite as hard rockin' as the last one, and the songs haven't really jumped out at me yet. There's nothing to dislike about it though, and Hunter of the Heart is a cool song. Gonna give it more listens.

Offline Lowdz

I've given a first listen to the new Crazy Lixx album. Not quite as hard rockin' as the last one, and the songs haven't really jumped out at me yet. There's nothing to dislike about it though, and Hunter of the Heart is a cool song. Gonna give it more listens.

I liked it. Hunter sounds like an Electric Boys song off Funkometal Carpetride.
It's not going to dethrone New Religion, but it's sounds as good as anything else they've done.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I liked it. Hunter sounds like an Electric Boys song off Funkometal Carpetride.
It's not going to dethrone New Religion, but it's sounds as good as anything else they've done.

Already enjoying it more on second listen. I don't know that it will top New Religion or the S/T for me, but it's definitely better than the rest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like a decent continuation from the last one from the couple of tracks I've heard.  Look forward to checking it out.  Didn't know the release date, will have to chuck it in the 2017 release date thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Turned it off after 30 seconds

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd say there should be a forced retirement age on Frontiers musicians, but then they'd have nothing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
FMD - the dude from Warrior.  Gotta love those moves - you gave up too soon JJ :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
FMD - the dude from Warrior.  Gotta love those moves - you gave up too soon JJ :lol

The lyrics are just fucking horrid.  The whole thing is fucking horrid.  Just ugh!!!

And the name, Radiation Romeos?!  What the fucking fuck?!

It's almost like American country, but worse.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I will say that the woman that appears at about 1:20 seems to have a great personality
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

Frontiers.....just WTF?!!?  :rollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygnPb7gmR-0

I knew what this was before I clicked on it. Watched it yesterday and was coming here to post the death knell of Frontiers. Total shite. Video made it sound even worse.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I pretty much refuse to listen to anything that Frontiers cobbles together unless it's A+ names - The Ferrymen being the only "new" thing from them that I have any interest in. Unless it's a band I already know and adore (eg, Hardline), it's an instant pass from me.