Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570610 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I expect it will actually be a really solid album, but oh mr.com. :lol

I'm expecting something pretty good too.  I found myself writing off the last one pretty quickly because of how similar and generic it was, but as time went by, it was something I went back to a bit and it was quite dependable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I expect it will actually be a really solid album, but oh mr.com. :lol

I'm expecting something pretty good too.  I found myself writing off the last one pretty quickly because of how similar and generic it was, but as time went by, it was something I went back to a bit and it was quite dependable.

I felt the same way.  Every time I go back to it, I think "damn, why don't I play this more often?"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Looks like I still have Are You Ready to Rock and Bleed and Scream on my computer. I should give them another listen. Any other particular album that stands out?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like I still have Are You Ready to Rock and Bleed and Scream on my computer. I should give them another listen. Any other particular album that stands out?

Those, along with Armaggedonize are the only ones I have.  I don't know their first two.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Those, along with Armaggedonize are the only ones I have.  I don't know their first two.

I didn't even realize they did anything before Are You Ready to Rock. Shows how much I've paid attention. Any opinion on which is the best out of the ones you have?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn't even realize they did anything before Are You Ready to Rock. Shows how much I've paid attention. Any opinion on which is the best out of the ones you have?

Good question.  Normally, I'd refer you to Kade, and then just do the opposite of what he recommends.   :D

He got me in to them through Bleed and Scream.  I think I'd go B&S>Armageddonize>AYRTR.  Though, all of them are solid (IMO)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bleed and Scream is probably the best place to start.  Armageddonize is the band trying to replicate Bleed and Scream in every way, and probably it's not as good but almost.

Are You Ready to Rock was the one that got me into the band.  Much more raw and straightforward, if that's possible.  Not as mature in the songwriting departement as Bleed and Scream, but probably more energy and a more metal hard rock tinge to it.

Don't bother with the first two.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Currently half way through Are You Ready To Rock (figured I'd go chronologically with the two I have), and in light of Frontiers' output this decade, my opinion on this is more positive than it was at the time. :lol And I remember some of these songs pretty well considering how long it's been since I listened to it.
I know I listened to Bleed and Scream several times when it came out and enjoyed it, but nothing jumped out at me enough to keep listening to it. We'll see if I feel differently about that now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think that's the thing.  There's nothing really mindblowing about their stuff, but it's all pretty good quality, catchy, melodic and dependable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think that's the thing.  There's nothing really mindblowing about their stuff, but it's all pretty good quality, catchy, melodic and dependable.

Yeah. I appreciate a good, consistent album though, even if there are no clear standouts.
Wow, Young Guns is totally them trying to channel 1987 Whitesnake. They could have called it Bad Boys pt II.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't bother with the first two.
...or the ones after.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I've enjoyed the last three. I'd probably take the last two HEAT albums over them though, just on that bit of variety. This new one will need to be awesome to make me bother with it as it's very likely to be a carbon copy of the last one, and the one before...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah. I appreciate a good, consistent album though, even if there are no clear standouts.
Wow, Young Guns is totally them trying to channel 1987 Whitesnake. They could have called it Bad Boys pt II.

Pretty bloody blatant hey.  :lol

I've enjoyed the last three. I'd probably take the last two HEAT albums over them though, just on that bit of variety. This new one will need to be awesome to make me bother with it as it's very likely to be a carbon copy of the last one, and the one before...

I love the last two HEAT albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That seems to be the consensus on HEAT but for me Address The Nation stuck and the last one did not.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That seems to be the consensus on HEAT but for me Address The Nation stuck and the last one did not.

I initially thought that too, the last one was a really big grower, I mean really big for me.  I may even enjoy it more now than Address the Nation.

Offline Lowdz

I initially thought that too, the last one was a really big grower, I mean really big for me.  I may even enjoy it more now than Address the Nation.

Yeah that's fair. The first two that Melodicrock.com blew a load over did nothing for me. They definitely improved with the change of singer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely.  The old stuff I thought was average at best.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah that's fair. The first two that Melodicrock.com blew a load over did nothing for me. They definitely improved with the change of singer.

Just checked out the latest reviews over there (finally!) and he's given Jack Russell's latest album 30%.  That just shows you how ridiculous he has gotten with his reviews.  Anyone in the regular faves of his has to do something awful to get <95% and yet he gives this quite decent album 30%.   I rated it around 80% and can't fathom how any reasonable reviewer could give it less than 50%.   Sure it's not brilliant but at least Jack is trying to do something half original.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Just checked out the latest reviews over there (finally!) and he's given Jack Russell's latest album 30%.  That just shows you how ridiculous he has gotten with his reviews.  Anyone in the regular faves of his has to do something awful to get <95% and yet he gives this quite decent album 30%.   I rated it around 80% and can't fathom how any reasonable reviewer could give it less than 50%.   Sure it's not brilliant but at least Jack is trying to do something half original.

It is rather pathetic. I like the JR album. Not what you would expect from him maybe, but loads better than the awful Great White album they did without him.
The same album by Rick Springfield would need a new scoring system that goes to 110%

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've really checked out that site at any length, it seems a tad ridiculous.

Offline Lowdz

I don't think I've really checked out that site at any length, it seems a tad ridiculous.

There was a time that it was a good laugh but a couple of sensitive souls would get upset at the pisstaking and complain to Andrew and the pisstakers would get banned. It got to the point where there was just no fun anymore.
I used to hang out with a load of the guys (and girls) at the rock nights in Wigan, but I got too old for that.
You could never rely on the reviews - he has his favourites and scores them high no matter what.
The new Harem Scarem will get 100%. Anything with Jim Peterik too.
Yes, it's ridiculous  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
About 5 years ago the site was really up to date, great reviews and lots of handy info on there.  Now it's just a piece of shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
5 years ago you say........ coincidence or not this thread has been going for pretty much exactly that long? :lol :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
5 years ago you say........ coincidence or not this thread has been going for pretty much exactly that long? :lol :neverusethis:

haha, that's sort of why I started the thread.  mr.com got me into so much of the current melodic rock stuff.  It was such a good resource for the genre.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This thread has gotten me into a lot of melodic rock stuff, not to mention being one of my favourite threads in general for the company. :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This thread has gotten me into a lot of melodic rock stuff, not to mention being one of my favourite threads in general for the company. :hat

:metal

It's just a shame the genre is so generic and flat at the moment.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah. On the other hand, it's nice to have this thread to help sift through it all and find the gems, both new and old.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
About 5 years ago the site was really up to date, great reviews and lots of handy info on there.  Now it's just a piece of shit.

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

Honesty is the best policy j.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never thought I would say it but yeah............half way through the new Unruly Child and struggling with it.   Even allowing for it being wimpy the songs are pretty meh!    No issues with the singing - pretty great for a trans 62 year old :lol  - but these guys (and gal ) seem to have grown out of rocking.

EDIT - the 2nd half was a bit better and rocks in parts but we're still talking a rating around mid 70's and I'm probably being generous.

Eclipse and House of Lords up next - not expecting to be raving over either but we'll see.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:22:50 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not gonna bother with the Unruly Child but looking forward to see what you think of the Eclipse and House of Lords, even though I think I know what your reactions will be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I sampled the Unruly Child and it absolutely fucking blows!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not gonna bother with the Unruly Child but looking forward to see what you think of the Eclipse and House of Lords, even though I think I know what your reactions will be.

I think you do too  ;D

The Eclipse is pretty much exactly as expected and that's the issue.   Back in the good old days a band like say Van halen..........each album (like em or not) had its own sound and personality and most often the songs within an album did too (to a lesser extent).    Eclipse sound as they always do and the songs rock in the same way they always do.   Solid album - no duds but also nothing spectacular.   Points off for total lack of originality in general and relative to their existing works.  75%

I'd rate Hosue of Lords similar or perhaps a touch higher for effort.   They have tried harder to write something half original but only executed in parts.  I would say the best HoL tracks are a bit better but the worst tracks are worse.   77% for at least trying to do something a bit different here and there and some variety.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:52:40 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll sample each.  What you said about Eclipse is what I'd say about the last 3-4 HOL albums too.  Nothing bad, but nothing all that original either.  Musicianship in the 70s and 80s was way different than what the 'melodic' genre puts out nowadays.  What you said about VH also applied to most 'melodic' (or glam, or metal, or hard rock) bands back then.

Unruly Child was disappointing, given how much I liked the s/t that Brent turned me on to.  Never tried anything else from them, and now I have no desire to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I think you do too  ;D

The Eclipse is pretty much exactly as expected and that's the issue.   Back in the good old days a band like say Van halen..........each album (like em or not) had its own sound and personality and most often the songs within an album did too (to a lesser extent).    Eclipse sound as they always do and the songs rock in the same way they always do.   Solid album - no duds but also nothing spectacular.   Points off for total lack of originality in general and relative to their existing works.  75%

I'd rate Hosue of Lords similar or perhaps a touch higher for effort.   They have tried harder to write something half original but only executed in parts.  I would say the best HoL tracks are a bit better but the worst tracks are worse.   77% for at least trying to do something a bit different here and there and some variety.

Could have put so much money on this.