Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568620 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
What did The Great Divide (Allen/Lande) score? :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Never bothered :lol   I think I must've taken everyone else's thoughts on board and worried about more promising prospects.   Poor old Tolkki was a bit of a punching bag around here back then  ;D    I did listen to that other thing he did though - probably cos the chick singer was hot .  Can't seem to find a rating :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:26:54 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember listening to Shadowlife from Dokken. Afterwards that was launched into the garbage bin like a frisbee

Offline Lowdz

I remember listening to Shadowlife from Dokken. Afterwards that was launched into the garbage bin like a frisbee

Never played it. Don't intend to.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

One of the worst

If Dedicated to Chaos is 1a, Shadowlife would be 1b
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:25:34 PM by jjrock88 »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Never bothered :lol   I think I must've taken everyone else's thoughts on board and worried about more promising prospects.   Poor old Tolkki was a bit of a punching bag around here back then  ;D    I did listen to that other thing he did though - probably cos the chick singer was hot .  Can't seem to find a rating :laugh:

One of my biggest disappointments was Tolkki getting that project.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

One of the worst

If Dedicated to Chaos is 1a, Shadowlife would be 1b

I did get Dysfunctional. That was complete shite.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:27:57 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

Just had a listen to Dysfunctional and it's not as bad as I remember. Too stripped back to be Dokken but it's ok. And I'm surprised at how well I knew the songs. Gave it more of a chance at the time than I realised.
Now listening to Erase The Slate. Great album too. Not too familiar with this one though. Reb Beach is killing it. George who?  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Erase the Slate had some cool songs on it. Pretty good disc

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Just had a listen to Dysfunctional and it's not as bad as I remember. Too stripped back to be Dokken but it's ok. And I'm surprised at how well I knew the songs. Gave it more of a chance at the time than I realised.
Now listening to Erase The Slate. Great album too. Not too familiar with this one though. Reb Beach is killing it. George who?  :biggrin:

I quite liked Dysfunctional, some good songs on there but overall too modern sounding for what I wanted from Dokken. Shadowlife had maybe half a song that was listenable and Don sang like shit.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

I quite liked Dysfunctional, some good songs on there but overall too modern sounding for what I wanted from Dokken. Shadowlife had maybe half a song that was listenable and Don sang like shit.

His voice was on it's way out on Dysfunctional I thought. That Jim Morrison thing started around that time and I hate that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Erase the Slate had some cool songs on it. Pretty good disc

Agree.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What band is Erase The Slate? Who are we talking about?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Dokken album, Erase the Slate. 

I know you aren't much of a Dokken fan so I think its a safe bet you never heard that one and never will lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Who plays on it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
No George, the guitarist was Reb Beach and then Pilson and Brown I believe.

The album doesn't even remotely compare to their 80s material but it's 1000x better then Shadowlife. None of the Dokken albums after Back for the Attack have done much for me

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Back For The Attack is the quintessential Dokken Album, at least for me. The records leading up to it were good but a little bit sketchy at times, BFTA does everything right and the live album after that was a beast of an album, not only by name. After that began the steady decline of Don's voice and the music.

But why is the talk about Dokken in the bubblegum thread?  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Beast from the East has to be the climax for Dokken; awesome live album.

Don's solo album, Up from the Ashes, deserves some props. It's basically a Dokken album and it's solid from beginning to end

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don's solo album, Up from the Ashes, deserves some props. It's basically a Dokken album and it's solid from beginning to end

It's a brilliant album.  Beast of a lineup too;

Don - Vox
John Norum and Billy White - Guitars
Pete Baltes - Bass
Mikey Dee - Drums

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, that's a great lineup. Can't say I have the first clue who Billy White is though.

Checking it on Spotify.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, that's a great lineup. Can't say I have the first clue who Billy White is though.

Checking it on Spotify.

Billy White was one of the original members of technical metal pioneers Watchtower and he shreds all over this album and pretty much puts Norum in the shade.  And Norum was no slouch back then.

These days Billy is some sort of Buddhist monk who plays the sitar or something  :lol   It's such a shame that he really only did the one album like this in straight ahead rock/metal - he could've been one of the greats.

UP From The Ashes got an honourable mention in my Top 50 if memory serves correct.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I only have Control and Resistance from Watchtower and can't remember much about it.  Never heard the album Billy White was on.

Brent gave me the recommendation for Up From The Ashes Tim as even know I've been a Dokken fan for a while, I never checked it out, but I'm glad I finally did, get into it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Checking it on Spotify.

Billy White was one of the original members of technical metal pioneers Watchtower and he shreds all over this album and pretty much puts Norum in the shade.  And Norum was no slouch back then.

Now familiar with Watchtower either.

You sure know how to rub it in. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's a brilliant album. 

UP From The Ashes got an honourable mention in my Top 50 if memory serves correct.

I must need new ears.

I did like Down In Flames and The Hunger though.

Probably about right.

Offline Lowdz

I've never really loved Up From The Ashes. It's good, but wasn't a patch on BFTA, which probably killed it for me at the time. I missed Lynch's tone. The guitars sounded dull compared to GL.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It's a brilliant album. 

I must need new ears.

Probably about right.

They are two of the weaker tracks on the album IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

May 12th.

Giggity.

Tim... we know your opinions.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's a brilliant album. 

I must need new ears.

They are two of the weaker tracks on the album IMO.

:facepalm:  Naturally!  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to the Harem Scarem, the last one was actually really solid.  Very short, but very enjoyable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin New Eclipse mr.com rating............you guessed it, 100%!!  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I expect it will actually be a really solid album, but oh mr.com. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin  at Eclipse.  It probably sounds exactly the same as the last one and that got 100% , so why not?   I don't even visit the site any more - it's gone to the shitter.  Seems to just be the odd news release and promos for Frontiers and his own label.    Must be months since he did a review.

Hopefully the Harem Scarem is as good as the cover.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Looking forward to the Harem Scarem, the last one was actually really solid.  Very short, but very enjoyable.

It was indeed excellent.  Hard to believe it was a 2014 release! 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

:rollin  at Eclipse.  It probably sounds exactly the same as the last one and that got 100% , so why not?   I don't even visit the site any more - it's gone to the shitter.  Seems to just be the odd news release and promos for Frontiers and his own label.    Must be months since he did a review.

Hopefully the Harem Scarem is as good as the cover.

I haven't been there in years and I was a regular.

Harem Scarem albums are always short and pretty samey these days, but always quality.