Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564434 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4585 on: February 12, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
I'm not sure that I ever even listened to The Power and The Myth.   I don't normally let reviews/word of mouth put me off totally - especially for one of my fave bands - but the feedback was so universally bad about it that I think I just passed .   

It's a pretty good album, never understood the reviews to be honest.  Just a different sort of album than usual.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4586 on: February 12, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
Power and the Myth came out in 2004

I never heard it, but I read that it was fairly modern sounding and not typical of a House of Lords album

I wouldn't say it has a modern sound at all. Harks back to the 70s if anything. Some Zeppelin in there at times, the less bluesy, Kashmir-ish sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4587 on: February 15, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
New Lionville video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_oXxZ9H2ck

This is pretty smooth.  Actually has a classic 80's AOR feel to it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4588 on: February 15, 2017, 04:41:03 AM »
I've enjoyed what I've heard from the album so far. It's soft and not really unique, but I've liked the music and the vocals, and the production is pretty good too. What more can one ask for from Frontiers? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4589 on: February 15, 2017, 04:50:28 AM »
That might be alright. Fairly stupid band name though. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4590 on: February 15, 2017, 04:52:30 AM »
I've enjoyed what I've heard from the album so far. It's soft and not really unique, but I've liked the music and the vocals, and the production is pretty good too. What more can one ask for from Frontiers? :lol

Yeah, seems like they could be batting slightly overs with this one.  Hopefully it's in the same vein as the Find Me.  Lars is just a tremendous vocalist though.  Definitely worth a listen.

That might be alright. Fairly stupid band name though. :lol

It's tough as fuck, come on, LIONVILLE!!!  RROOOAAAARRR!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4591 on: February 15, 2017, 04:57:00 AM »

Yeah, seems like they could be batting slightly overs with this one.  Hopefully it's in the same vein as the Find Me.  Lars is just a tremendous vocalist though.  Definitely worth a listen.

I still regularly listen to both Find Me albums back to back without skipping anything (bar the title track of the second album). I'd be happy if this is as consistent as that.

LIONVILLE MOTHERFUCKER. WE AIN'T JUST A WHITE LION OR A PRIDE OF LIONS, WE'RE A WHOLE GOD DAMN LIONVILLE.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4592 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:48 AM »
Also started listening to the new Pride of Lions. All I can think when I hear a Peterik song is Jimi Jamison singing it. I can hear him in my head.
There's some ok stuff - cheesy and predictable but you know it's a Peterik tune. He's certainly got a style.
Not essential I would say.

Not essential but nowhere near as bad as I feared.   The cheesy songs seem a lot better without a cheesetastic video .    I agree about hearing Jimi , in large part because the first half of the album in particular sounds like a Vital Signs era Survivor album and not Pride of Lions.

The second half improves and sounds a lot more like I would expect from Pride of Lions.  There's not much rock in there but for what it is it's a pretty decent effort.  Nowhere near as memorable as the debut though.   Freedom of the Night is probably the most PoL sounding and probably my favourite track.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4593 on: February 16, 2017, 04:37:52 AM »

I still regularly listen to both Find Me albums back to back without skipping anything (bar the title track of the second album). I'd be happy if this is as consistent as that.

LIONVILLE MOTHERFUCKER. WE AIN'T JUST A WHITE LION OR A PRIDE OF LIONS, WE'RE A WHOLE GOD DAMN LIONVILLE.

I don't know why the chick sings on that song when all she sings is a random verse before the instrumental break.  It's just weird, and what's even more awkward is that she comes back in and sings the same verse exactly the same way after the lead break.  Then you don't hear her again, I always found that bizarre as fuck.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4594 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »
I don't know why the chick sings on that song when all she sings is a random verse before the instrumental break.  It's just weird, and what's even more awkward is that she comes back in and sings the same verse exactly the same way after the lead break.  Then you don't hear her again, I always found that bizarre as fuck.

I think you're referring to Another Day. I actually really like the addition of female vocals on that one, which is incredibly rare on a Frontiers album. But it's not Issa, which is also incredibly rare on a Frontiers album. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4595 on: February 16, 2017, 05:27:40 AM »

I think you're referring to Another Day. I actually really like the addition of female vocals on that one, which is incredibly rare on a Frontiers album. But it's not Issa, which is also incredibly rare on a Frontiers album. :lol

Why must you mention that bitch?

Just found the files on my computer and played the title track and it's cool, what don't you like Blob?  Pretty much the same quality as the rest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4596 on: February 16, 2017, 05:33:25 AM »
I don't know, something about the chorus just weirds me out. As you said, it's basically like the rest, so I have no explanation for it. :dunno:
Not a single other song on either album I skip or dislike though, so I'd still say that's some impressive consistency.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4597 on: February 16, 2017, 05:34:36 AM »
That's cool bro.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4598 on: February 16, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
 New House of Lords. Meh.

https://youtu.be/_axlOgXFtBM

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4599 on: February 16, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
That House of Lords was ok,  but nothing special.

Thats a lot of keyboards!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4600 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
New House of Lords. Meh.

I thought it was pretty good.  I'm looking forward to the album actually.  The video is a step up from what Frontiers usually dish up.  Jimi Bell rocks too.  But seriously, six keyboards?  Come on bro!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4601 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »
New House of Lords. Meh.

I thought it was pretty good.  I'm looking forward to the album actually.  The video is a step up from what Frontiers usually dish up.  Jimi Bell rocks too.  But seriously, six keyboards?  Come on bro!

He's never heard of a controller keyboard 🙄

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4602 on: February 16, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
Is there a reason for six keyboards?  Can't one do the trick lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4603 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
Setting up all those would just be a pain in the ass!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4604 on: February 16, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
Six keyboards is Spinal Tap 101

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4605 on: February 16, 2017, 03:20:46 PM »
 :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4606 on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
He bought 'em, he's gonna play 'em 😀🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4607 on: February 24, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »
I've had a quick listen to the new Lionville, and it sounds quite solid. No clear standouts for me at this point, but the performances and production are great, and there are some unexpected musical choices in there, at least to me. I found it all enjoyable enough, so I'll give it some more listens and see what stands out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4608 on: February 24, 2017, 05:08:34 AM »
I've had a quick listen to the new Lionville, and it sounds quite solid. No clear standouts for me at this point, but the performances and production are great, and there are some unexpected musical choices in there, at least to me. I found it all enjoyable enough, so I'll give it some more listens and see what stands out.

Good stuff.  The songs I've heard made me happy enough so will definitely check it out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4609 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Sounded ok from the songs I've heard so far.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4610 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
Never heard of Lionville.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4611 on: February 24, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
it's about 8 miles to the east of North Haverbrook
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4612 on: February 24, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
Great, now if I just knew how to get to North Haverbrook.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4613 on: February 24, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
take the monorail
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4614 on: February 24, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »
Never heard of Lionville.

Don't bother.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just started listening to Tokyo Motor Fist and surprise, surprise it sounds like a mix of D2 and Trixter.   I feel like I lose some brain cells every time I say that band name  :lol

Expecting an album full of solid , very familiar songs with very few standouts.

Yup......half way through and too much cheese and too familiar.  "Love you black and blue".............really, at this stage?   Was hoping for a bit more based on the great reviews.  Put Me To Shame is a bit more like I was hoping for but too little too late.   Mid 70's from me is likely.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:26:17 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, when was the last album that you gave an actual failing grade to?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, when was the last album that you gave an actual failing grade to?

When you say failing I assume you mean < 50% . 

These days I sample extensively .  I probably checked out a dozen bands today and liked none of them.  If something gets to the point where I listen to the album then chances are that I have already made a judgement that it's likely 70%+ material - saves wasting time.   And if I don't rate it 75% or better than I don't even record it unless it's a well known band.   DT albums in the later MP era scored in the 55-65% range and I would consider that a fail.

Seeing as I don't rate albums that I don't listen to in full , the chances of anything being rated 50% or less is very unlikely.  Unless a classic band produces a shocker.  Dokken - Shadowlife or something :lol

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:12:19 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au