Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564240 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Seems quite typical for recent bands to not have stable lineups. Crazy Lixx has had the same problem. I guess the life of a modern rocker ain't what it used to be.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lepprador

Much better than expected. If the next (now in work) Ratt album is as good as this, I'm happy and I rate Warren DeMartini even higher than George Lynch. The new guy here, Erik Ferentinos doesn't have the fineness and surgical precision of Warren, but sure knows how to craft a punchy riff.
Don't let the first grunge song fool you. No bad song, but doesn't really fit to the rest of the material.
By the way: Mixed and mastered by Beau Hill (Prisoners In Paradise, Winger, first 4 Ratt albums...).

Offline Lowdz

The tracks released so far have been ok. Will give this a listen. Sounded like a RATT album without the unmistakable playing of WDM.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Stephen Pearcy sounded like complete shit in 1984. I can't fathom why I would even check this out.

(no offence to those of you that have :))
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Never got into Ratt at all really.  I did pick up the album they did quite a few years ago called Infestation I think it's called and that was pretty decent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lepprador

Stephen Pearcy never had a strong voice, but he has an excellent feeling for vocal lines and phrasing. I always found he's a highly charismatic frontman. I've only seen Ratt once in 1986 (Monsters Of Rock) and it was short and sweet, but I can understand everybody not liking his very unique voice.

Sounded like a RATT album without the unmistakable playing of WDM.
Spot On. And that's quite an achievement. Better than every other Stephen Pearcy solo album.
I would think the Frontier label boss, said  something like: " Deliver me a Ratt sounding album and I'll pay for it."

Offline Lowdz

Never got into Ratt at all really.  I did pick up the album they did quite a few years ago called Infestation I think it's called and that was pretty decent.

For me, Out of the Cellar, Invasion of Your Privacy, Dancing Undercover and Detonator are all excellent it all depends on whether you can tolerate Pearcy's voice. I've never been a fan of it but it's not enough to put me off. Each of these  albums has a couple of filler tracks but so did Van Halen.

I really liked the s/t from a few years ago but most don't. Di Martini was a great player and I've always loved the guitar tones on their early albums.

Offline Lepprador

I thought the self-titled (I believe from 1999 ?) was a strong album, too and I can't understand the lukewarm reception it got and to my surprise Infestation was praised from almost every source. Not that it was bad, but I prefered the s/t.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If you are a casual Ratt fan, the one album to get would be Ratt and Roll 81-91.  Its a solid best of.

Offline Lowdz

If you are a casual Ratt fan, the one album to get would be Ratt and Roll 81-91.  Its a solid best of.

Good call.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Best of Ratt is an oxymoron.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Best of Ratt is an oxymoron.

I was waiting for this one lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Just checked my cd log and I own this one along with Infestation, so I have no excuse not to check it out.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just had a listen to the Pearcy album and found it solid but very up and down in terms of quality.  It averages out at a 75% for me but dump the 3 or 4 worst tracks and it would be much higher.  Once again it's far too long at 13 tracks.   Some of the songs just don't suit his voice.  I can see what he was trying to do with the Zep influence - in parts it works and just as often it doesn't.

At least he's tried to mix something different in with the familiar but for me the more familiar stuff suits him better.  And the production is good (as mentioned) and it's not your standard Frontiers job.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lepprador

Yeah, I cut it down to 10 tracks and changed the running order and the the result was a much better album.
Nice to read that you liked it a bit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I cut it down to zero songs and I think it's spectacular!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline Lepprador

:lol

Oh boy...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I cut it down to zero songs and I think it's spectacular!

haha, harsh Tim.

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4569 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:12 PM »
I had a listen to the Jack Russell's Great White album. Not sure what to make of it tbh but it's got fuck all to do with GW. I sort of enjoyed it but it's all over the place stylewise. Sort of like an early queen album. There's a funky song, a reggae style song, a queen style vaudeville song and all sorts in between. It doesn't really rock and it's not particularly blues-y.
A strange one.
Jack's voice is pretty good too. The guitarist rips a bit later on the album in a non cliche sort of way.

Have you heard it Brent?
I wouldn't say I recommend it but as I said, I did kind of enjoy it. Made it all the way through anyway  :biggrin:
Definitely not for everyone

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #4570 on: February 01, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
Also started listening to the new Pride of Lions. All I can think when I hear a Peterik song is Jimi Jamison singing it. I can hear him in my head.
There's some ok stuff - cheesy and predictable but you know it's a Peterik tune. He's certainly got a style.
Not essential I would say.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4571 on: February 01, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
Also started listening to the new Pride of Lions. All I can think when I hear a Peterik song is Jimi Jamison singing it. I can hear him in my head.
There's some ok stuff - cheesy and predictable but you know it's a Peterik tune. He's certainly got a style.
Not essential I would say.

I will have a listen but not expecting anything based on what I've heard.  This band for me have gone from good melodic rock/AOR to stuff which just reminds me of broadway and show tunes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4572 on: February 01, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »

Have you heard it Brent?
I wouldn't say I recommend it but as I said, I did kind of enjoy it. Made it all the way through anyway  :biggrin:
Definitely not for everyone

Not as yet - will do so shortly.  I may not have bothered but am curious based on the reviews which range from "weird" to "awesome".  Sounds like an interesting album and that's got to be better than "same old same old".
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4573 on: February 02, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
New Eclipse;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQqRR2r7444

Hmm....Martenssen trying hard to do something a little different here.  Reminds me heavily of HEAT.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4574 on: February 10, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »
New Inglorious. part of me thinks it's boring but there's something ok about it. Singer needs better songs. Maybe get David Coverdale and Doug Aldrich to write the songs.

https://youtu.be/YDynJwc46L8

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4575 on: February 10, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
Sounds similar to the heavier songs from the first album that I didn't find as strong or interesting.
The band all sounds great though, and the production is killer, so hopefully the rest of the album delivers.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4576 on: February 11, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »
Was just listening to Demons Down by House of Lords.  This is my favorite album that I've heard from them and it one of my favorite melodic rock/AOR albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4577 on: February 11, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
Was just listening to Demons Down by House of Lords.  This is my favorite album that I've heard from them and it one of my favorite melodic rock/AOR albums.

Was No 67 in my DTF Top 50   ;D

The stuff back then had so much more thought and songwriting nouse.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4578 on: February 11, 2017, 10:17:26 PM »
Plus the bonus of this album is that the poster of Demons Down is in a Seinfeld episode.  When Jerry and George visit the Bubble Boy, the House of Lords poster is in the background along with Ugly Kid Joe.

Moops!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:37:31 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4579 on: February 12, 2017, 03:49:04 AM »
Plus the bonus of this album is that the poster of Demons Down is in a Seinfeld episode.  When Jerry and George visit the Bubble Boy, the House of Lords poster is in the background along with Ugly Kid Joe.

Moops!

Shit Jason, you're right.  I never knew that haha.  Well done.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4580 on: February 12, 2017, 03:59:12 AM »

Was No 67 in my DTF Top 50   ;D

The stuff back then had so much more thought and songwriting nouse.   

This.
Great album.their best. I still like The Power and The Myth. In fact, I'm going to play those two today. Thanks gents 😀🤘

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4581 on: February 12, 2017, 05:20:36 AM »
I'm not sure that I ever even listened to The Power and The Myth.   I don't normally let reviews/word of mouth put me off totally - especially for one of my fave bands - but the feedback was so universally bad about it that I think I just passed .   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4582 on: February 12, 2017, 05:23:33 AM »
I'm not sure that I ever even listened to The Power and The Myth.   I don't normally let reviews put me off - especially for one of my fave bands - but everything was so universally bad about it that I think I just passed .

It's not really a HoL album, that's the problem with it. People from this site shouldn't have a problem with it. It's proggy with very little in the way of catchy choruses. Ken Mary rules on it.

Worth at least a few listens as it's certainly not an instant album. Better production that the recent albums too.

I guess it's their The Elder, Strange and Beautiful album. But don't let that put you off 😀 At least you'll be going in prepared.

I think the pink and fluffy brigade at melodicrock.com shit themselves tbh 😵
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:29:38 AM by Lowdz »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4583 on: February 12, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »
I'm not sure that I ever even listened to The Power and The Myth.   I don't normally let reviews put me off - especially for one of my fave bands - but everything was so universally bad about it that I think I just passed .

It's not really a HoL album, that's the problem with it. People from this site shouldn't have a problem with it. It's proggy with very little in the way of catchy choruses. Ken Mary rules on it.

That actually sounds interesting. What is the year of release?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4584 on: February 12, 2017, 01:24:24 PM »
Power and the Myth came out in 2004

I never heard it, but I read that it was fairly modern sounding and not typical of a House of Lords album