Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568569 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3500 on: August 31, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
Oh, ffs... why they hell was it on your banned list then!?!?!?  It was my AOTY for 2013.  I get people not being into the multi-vocalist thing (though Tim... what gives with Avantasia?  huh?  HUH?).  Anyway... not a bad song on that album.  And listen to each song individually then - start with Not My Saviour.

As for this... Fuck YEAH!  So stoked it's coming out this year, and not next year like was first initially announced.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Chad knows what the fuck is up!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3502 on: August 31, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3503 on: August 31, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »
On the first Freefall, the opening track with Russell Allen is worth the purchase alone.

The Ralph track kicks ass too!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3504 on: August 31, 2015, 08:00:54 PM »
Chad knows what the fuck is up!

:hifive:

Yeah buddy.  I'm looking forward to this so much too, those samples sound incredible. 

On the first Freefall, the opening track with Russell Allen is worth the purchase alone.

The Ralph track kicks ass too!

I think the title track is one of his best.  A whole album of quality.  The Mark Boals one is really good too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3505 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:50 AM »
I actually wasn't big into Freefall either........lots of people on it who I like but for me the songs were nothing special. I wasn't rushing back for a second listen either.

I get the feeling that this time around he hasn't spread himself as thin as he was a few years back.  Expecting a good album.

As a general rule I find that multi vocalist albums disappoint me a lot more often than not , no matter how great the talent on the roster.

Can't say I was bothered by the multi vocalist thing at all. They were all great metal voices (even Karlsson doesn't sound outof place!) and not a million miles away from each other style-wise I guess, apart from Harnell who obviously sings higher than the other guys. I really enjoy the album, its probably MK's finest work.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: September 01, 2015, 05:09:30 AM »
I actually wasn't big into Freefall either........lots of people on it who I like but for me the songs were nothing special. I wasn't rushing back for a second listen either.

I get the feeling that this time around he hasn't spread himself as thin as he was a few years back.  Expecting a good album.

As a general rule I find that multi vocalist albums disappoint me a lot more often than not , no matter how great the talent on the roster.

Can't say I was bothered by the multi vocalist thing at all. They were all great metal voices (even Karlsson doesn't sound outof place!) and not a million miles away from each other style-wise I guess, apart from Harnell who obviously sings higher than the other guys. I really enjoy the album, its probably MK's finest work.

I think The Battle is still his best work.  That album is just magic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3507 on: September 01, 2015, 08:13:07 AM »
Oh, ffs... why they hell was it on your banned list then!?!?!?  It was my AOTY for 2013.   

Well, two reasons actually.
First:

and secondly:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3508 on: September 01, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »

I'm not bothered by it at all - I just meant that it usually works out that way.  I don't go in with any preconceived bias against multi vocalist projects.  I know Kade disagrees strongly but I was really keen to hear the last Gus G solo album with two of my favourite singers ever (Soto, Saenz) and I thought it was very ordinary.

I think the Allen/Lande stuff is miles ahead of Freefall myself.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:33:12 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3509 on: September 01, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
To be honest, I don't bother with anything new that is a multi vocal project, I love Ayreon and Avantasia, but I don't go looking for that type of thing. 

And yeah, I agree, Allen/Lande is miles of ahead of Freefall for me also.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: September 01, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »
To be honest, I don't bother with anything new that is a multi vocal project, I love Ayreon and Avantasia, but I don't go looking for that type of thing. 

I wouldn't say I go looking for it, but I'm not put off by it whatsoever.  Allen/Lande is in a class of it's own, that's for sure.  Freefall is hard to compare with A/L imo... It's like comparing 2 different brands of scotch - each are amazing in their own way.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3511 on: September 01, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »

I wouldn't say I go looking for it, but I'm not put off by it whatsoever.  Allen/Lande is in a class of it's own, that's for sure.  Freefall is hard to compare with A/L imo... It's like comparing 2 different brands of scotch - each are amazing in their own way.

Completely true man.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3512 on: September 01, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
I don't mind the Allen/Lande albums (the pre-Tolkki ones at least :lol) but I'd put Freefall above any of them, no contest.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3513 on: September 02, 2015, 02:48:15 AM »
HAd a listen to the samples of Freefall 2 last night and was completely underwhelmed. There is nothing "new" there at all. MK by numbers from what I could tell. Hope the full thing is better.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:18:37 AM by Lowdz »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3514 on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:20 AM »
I'm not really expecting anything new from Karlsson at all really.  It sounds like some of his old school style of writing which I'm happy with.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:33 AM »
I'm not really expecting anything new from Karlsson at all really.  It sounds like some of his old school style of writing which I'm happy with.

Agree... I always take the samples with a grain of salt.  I think MK's writing is pretty formulaic, but it's a formula that scratches me where I itch.  He doesn't waver too far from his comfort zone, but I'm totally fine with that - he's got so much out there, that there isn't a lot new he can do without going way outside his box.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3516 on: September 02, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »

Agree... I always take the samples with a grain of salt.  I think MK's writing is pretty formulaic, but it's a formula that scratches me where I itch.  He doesn't waver too far from his comfort zone, but I'm totally fine with that - he's got so much out there, that there isn't a lot new he can do without going way outside his box.

Exactly, and because what he does is so high quality, he doesn't have to try and reinvent the wheel, he can keep doing his thing and I'll still love it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3517 on: September 02, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
If it was too different from the first, we would complaining and say he is a jerk store.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3518 on: September 02, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »
But there are no jerk stores!?  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3519 on: September 02, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Well then I guess someone needs to sleep with his wife

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3520 on: September 02, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3521 on: September 02, 2015, 09:39:32 PM »
That show just never gets old.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3522 on: September 03, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »

I wouldn't have expected it too but the press release was gushing about trying new things and it being fresh. I suppose that's what a press release is supposed to do but I went into the samples listening for something new and all I heard was FF2.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3523 on: September 03, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »

I wouldn't have expected it too but the press release was gushing about trying new things and it being fresh. I suppose that's what a press release is supposed to do but I went into the samples listening for something new and all I heard was FF2.

And that's a problem how?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3524 on: September 03, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »

I don't believe what any press releases have to say in terms of the quality of the record.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3525 on: September 03, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »

And that's a problem how?

I don't know. It's probably not a problem as I loved the last one. It might just be because they were short samples that nothing grabbed me, maybe I wasn't in the mood. I was just underwhelmed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3526 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
I'm confident for an excellent album.  I think guys like Karlsson, over time, expectations can just continue to rise and therefore the product seeming not as impressive as what you would have use to.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: September 03, 2015, 04:45:58 PM »
Karlsson knows the formula that works and won't change to much of it.

ACDC 101

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3528 on: September 03, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
If any of you dudes have ordered the new Praying Mantis stock version and want the JAP bonus track in 320 mp3 , then just PM an email and I'll get it to you.   Great album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3529 on: September 03, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »
If any of you dudes have ordered the new Praying Mantis stock version and want the JAP bonus track in 320 mp3 , then just PM an email and I'll get it to you.   Great album.

Damn, I forgot about this one.  :facepalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3530 on: September 04, 2015, 01:52:58 AM »
For those of you who don't mind the wimpier side of melodic rock (Work of Art , Find Me and the like) the new album by Art Nation (Revolution) is a pretty good effort.  Nothing we haven't heard before but a strong effort.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3531 on: September 04, 2015, 01:57:58 AM »
I'm a bit of a wimp so I'll definitely check that out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3532 on: September 04, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »
I'm a big fucking soft cock too, will check out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3533 on: September 04, 2015, 06:34:19 AM »
New Joel Hoekstra video with JSS;

https://youtu.be/drA-pn3aYnU

This album is sounding pretty generic.  Decent enough song, only cause it has JSS IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: September 04, 2015, 06:36:36 AM »
Yeah the Hoekstra stuff all sounds pretty formulaic.  And JSS's strike rate with me lately isn't all that wonderful either and I have always been a HUGE fan.  At a guess I would have more albums with JSS on than any other artist.

www.theguitardojo.com.au