Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564463 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2380 on: August 22, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »
Copy and pasted from the album thread

Speaking of which - for those who've been chatting in the AOR thread about Work of Art , I'd suggest checking out the Secret album I noted in this thread today.  Similar style but more personality/conviction/variable sound ,much better guitar work and the singer sounds like a smoother Michael Bormann.  Nothing groundbreaking but a lot fresher than anything Work of Art are likely to produce. Bloody good album and the best new AOR album I've heard in a while actually.  When you consider that one guy played basically all instruments on the album + singer ........even more amazing.

Here's the opening track , which is one of the more basic , rocking tracks.  Gives you an idea of what they're capable of though.  Work of Art will have to do something amazing to get close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_FLuKYvag

Didn't bowl me over, but the guitar solo was great.

That Night by Night wasn't bad either..

An interesting comment from a label guy with an advance copy of the new TEN album:

"Having been underwhelmed by the last few Ten albums, the new one is IMMENSE and even tops Name of the Rose for me as the best Ten album ever. Mr Hughes has definitely rediscovered his mojo."

We will see.  I liked Stormwarning.  The last one had aquite a few good songs, but a lot of really shit songs too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2381 on: August 23, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
The new Unisonic is incredible!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2382 on: August 23, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »
Copy and pasted from the album thread

Speaking of which - for those who've been chatting in the AOR thread about Work of Art , I'd suggest checking out the Secret album I noted in this thread today.  Similar style but more personality/conviction/variable sound ,much better guitar work and the singer sounds like a smoother Michael Bormann.  Nothing groundbreaking but a lot fresher than anything Work of Art are likely to produce. Bloody good album and the best new AOR album I've heard in a while actually.  When you consider that one guy played basically all instruments on the album + singer ........even more amazing.

Here's the opening track , which is one of the more basic , rocking tracks.  Gives you an idea of what they're capable of though.  Work of Art will have to do something amazing to get close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_FLuKYvag
Sounds much more like Mr Big if your ask me. WoA is not what pops up in my head when I listen to these guys atleast not this track. Will check the album out though. Sounds almost like you have something against WoA?  :lol They may be cheesy but my god it's good tasting cheese!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: August 23, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »

Didn't bowl me over, but the guitar solo was great.

That's sorta what I was getting at - it's a more basic Mr Big type rocker , look at me type song that shows their chops.  The rest of the album has more depth in the songwriting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:02:12 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: August 23, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
WoA is not what pops up in my head when I listen to these guys atleast not this track. Will check the album out though. Sounds almost like you have something against WoA?  :lol They may be cheesy but my god it's good tasting cheese!

As above - and I have nothing against WoA.  I bought their debut and follow up pretty much on release day and think Track 1 on the debut in particular is fan-fucking-tastic.  It's just that (as jingle.boy often notes)  "with so much other stuff out there........." I get tired real quick of bands whose songs (and now albums) all sound about the same.   I really want them to do well as they have one of , if not THE , best voice in AOR at the moment.

If I go back to bands like Van Halen that were big for me (or countless others) part of their magic was that every song (good or bad) had its own personality and every album had a very different vibe/sound.   That goes a long way to giving a band longevity.   Sure bands like AC/DC can get away with the opposite but on the whole I think it's a good rule , especially in the AOR style.  Work of Art's songs , especially after the second album , all just started to blend into each other for me.

Secret sound a bit like WoA on some tracks and not others (see - better already  ;D  )
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2385 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »

Mindmaze new track - https://soundcloud.com/mindmaze-music-1/mindmaze-dreamwalker

New album is out end of October.  Sounds good to me!  They just got a record deal too - saw that Paul shared it FB.  Thanks pal :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2386 on: August 23, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »

Mindmaze new track - https://soundcloud.com/mindmaze-music-1/mindmaze-dreamwalker

New album is out end of October.  Sounds good to me!  They just got a record deal too - saw that Paul shared it FB.  Thanks pal :tup

I commented on the news item at Melodicrock.com and it shared to Facebook. Didn't know it did that.
Anyway, I love MindMaze. So glad the vocals aren't of the operatic persuasion. I'm so over that. Stumped up for the kickstarter on the strength of the first album. Nice guys (and gal) too. I may have a little crush on Sarah too  :blush

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2387 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
So I had a Playlist today of rockin' tunes and Big City Nights starts and my wife yells out, "WE ARE THE SCORPIONS"!!

Yup, I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:55:00 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: August 27, 2014, 03:34:40 AM »
Just listened to Billy Idol's new song.  It's one of the crappest things I've heard in a while.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2389 on: August 27, 2014, 06:56:05 AM »
Just listened to Billy Idol's new song.  It's one of the crappest things I've heard in a while.

Gee, that's a shock.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2390 on: August 31, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Seems Michael Schenker's band has been robbed - his guitars and the whole new album... from Doogie's Facebook.

Doogie White
UPDATE TO IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

Fellow Rawkers and Rawkettes, it saddens me to inform you that not only did the thieving bastards steal Michael Schenker's guitars but they have also made off with the hard-drives containing the tracks for the new TEMPLE OF ROCK album and the computer that had all the back-ups of our work.
It will take a moment or two for us to gather our thoughts and hatch new plans to re-record the whole thing.

As one moment in time is lost so another will take its place.

Really not best pleased but grateful to all of you who have posted, re-posted and shared. We can only wait and see what transpires over the next few days. Re-group and get down to business.
Very annoying but some nice new lyric ideas. "Round em up, Hang em High" Rather catchy dontcha think?

Please feel free to share this and if you have any info let us know
Cheers Doogie

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: August 31, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
Seriously, fuck people.  >:(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: August 31, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
What a bunch of pricks

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:12 AM »
TEN - 'ALBION' (Rocktopia Records) For all lovers of fine Melodic Hard Rock the wait is finally over!

British Hard rock giants TEN are returning with what is already being acclaimed as the best album in their history. ‘ALBION’ is the title of the album, the term being the earliest documented name for the collective British Isles from the time of Queen Boadicia.

‘ALBION’ is fine collection of songs steeped in all the trademark essences associated with the band and is instantly recognisable as TEN.

This is classic Ten in every sense of the phrase.

New European based label ROCKTOPIA RECORDS are proud that this album will carry their prestigious RTP001 catalogue number.
In an exciting development, Gary and the guys have been so productive over the past year that ‘ALBION’ will actually be the first of a two album release situation on ROCKTOPIA.

The second, as yet untitled album, to be released early next year. A schedule not unlike the historical situation when TEN was born, releasing their debut ‘Ten’ and ‘The Name Of The Rose’ in quick succession.

The collection of songs on ‘ALBION’ are destined to become Melodic Hard Rock Anthems.

The Official Release Date for ‘ALBION’ is November 21st Worldwide.

However ROCKTOPIA will be Pre-Releasing the Album to Direct Sales, only in Europe and America, from Monday 27th October. This follows TEN's Friday 24th October Firefest appearance where the album will be previewed and the first CD copies will be available.

‘ALBION’ will also represent another first for Ten with the release of a limited edition double gatefold vinyl album including many collectable items which will be an absolute must-have for fans of the band.

The name TEN is synonymous with some of the music genre's most striking album sleeves.
In keeping with this TEN tradition the artwork this time is provided by the exceptionally talented Gaetano Di Falco.

‘ALBION’ is produced by Gary Hughes and once again mixed and mastered by Dennis Ward.

This is an exciting era for TEN. It features all the familiar faces and one or two new ones who have integrated seamlessly, embellishing the Ten sound and taking things to yet another level. TEN are definitely firing on all cylinders.

More information on this will follow shortly in forthcoming TEN press releases.
We promise you that your patience will be rewarded.

Jeez, they are talking this up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: September 01, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »
Ten is one of those bands that always puts out quality stuff, but you're pretty much assured of what you're gonna get... like ARP, Royal Hunt and Jorn.  There's a couple of stinkers, and a couple of standouts, but for the most part, they're pretty consistent and enjoyable.  I'm bound to pick this one up.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: September 01, 2014, 06:00:35 AM »
The last Ten album was probably their most inconsistent, with some of their best songs and some of their worst.  As discussed, the only album I really can't get into is Babylon.  Still looking forward to what they dish up here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:38 AM »
True... H&C was pretty up and down.  Haven't spun it in over a year.  I liked Stormwarning though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: September 01, 2014, 06:29:27 AM »
True... H&C was pretty up and down.  Haven't spun it in over a year.  I liked Stormwarning though.

Yep, that was pretty solid all the way through really.  It would be top 3 Ten for me, great record.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2398 on: September 01, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
Looking forward to this. That's alot to live up to in the press release.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2399 on: September 01, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
The usual hysterical press release, I take them all with a grain of salt.
The cover, I'm not sure if it looks cheap and tacky or not?

Ten have always been pretty consistent, but never delivered a total killer album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2400 on: September 01, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »

Ten have always been pretty consistent, but never delivered a total killer album.

Name Of The Rose and Spellbound are killer for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
Name of the Rose is definitely a super killer melodic rock album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: September 01, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
It appears that Jimi Jamison has passed away , aged 63  :-\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:20:06 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: September 01, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »

I would agree with wolfking that The Name of the Rose is the best of the bunch and a really great album .

Re the cover - I don't like it.  Not sure whether it's "tacky"/cheap/pissweak or what , but it just doesn't look right to me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2404 on: September 01, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »

Dammit.  Dammit to all hell.  It's true.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jimi-jamison-survivor-lead-singer-dead-at-63-20140901
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: September 01, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jimi-jamison-survivor-lead-singer-dead-at-63-20140901

What the fuck?!

A heart attack.  Man, he actually seemed quite fit.  This is really scary.  SO fucking sad.  His last solo album was great, will play it tonight along with Too Hot to Sleep.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2406 on: September 01, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »

I would agree with wolfking that The Name of the Rose is the best of the bunch and a really great album .

Just checked it out on YouTube. Couldn't get passed the title track. *shrugs*

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: September 01, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »

Just checked it out on YouTube. Couldn't get passed the title track. *shrugs*

Don't bother checking anything else out then.

Man, I spinning Never Too Late now, still can't believe this news about Jimi.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2408 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »

What the fuck?!

A heart attack.  Man, he actually seemed quite fit.  This is really scary.  SO fucking sad.  His last solo album was great, will play it tonight along with Too Hot to Sleep.

I just happened to listen to Too Hot to Sleep, When Love Comes Down, and Empires yesterday, so today I'll definitely listen to Never Too Late and Vital Signs.
What a shock. He wasn't that old, and didn't seem to have any ongoing medical problems. I was looking forward to hearing some new Survivor with him. RIP Jimi Jamison.

That's both Jimi Jamison and Fergie Frederiksen this year, both coming off strong solo albums in the last couple of years.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2409 on: September 01, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »

that cover should be embarrassing to anyone involved with making it.  Also, how come no love for "The Robe"?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: September 01, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »
I've said before that The Robe could've been their best album but it suffers from a god awful production/mix.  It seriously needs a going over and re-release.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2411 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
Awful news about Jimi. What a great singer.
RIP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2412 on: September 02, 2014, 01:52:58 AM »
I was just listening to some Jimi Jamison stuff online yesterday. Liked what I heard, and decided I'd probably buy some of his stuff. :-\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2413 on: September 02, 2014, 03:37:52 AM »
I still can't believe it. It wasn't like a lot of the other great musicians we've lost, who had long battles with cancer, where you expect that things could take a turn for the worse, it was just completely out of nowhere.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2414 on: September 02, 2014, 05:05:39 AM »
Yeah I think my fave Ten album would be the double live Never Say Goodbye.
The sound is pretty strong and good all round performances.
Other than that, I'd say Spellbound is my fave studio recording.

I really do hope the new one is good, and hopefully better than that horrific cover.