Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #16 is going all in...  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Parama

• Roulette Bandit
  • EP Enthusiast
Re: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #20 is a step below silver...
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
this album is really inconsistent. i don't like for red cloud at all but belie the machine and transmit to disconnect are pretty great. and then there's a lot of stuff sitting in the middle.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #19 is unforgiven...
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
I actually listened to this on release because a guitar player I was a fan of (Wes Hauch) joined the band before the recording of Selves We Cannot Forgive. I was blown away and actually surprised because for so long I've generally had a hard time coming around to some of the harsher vocals BUT they meld sooooo well with riffs and then come the interesting melodies and the cleans are unique to me and just rise through. Such a good album that I've played very frequently over the last year. :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    • My Last.fm Profile......finally
Re: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #18 is learning to fly...
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:50 AM »

Fates Warning - Theories of Flight

This was my first experience listening to a Fates Warning album and I was pleasantly surprised. I checked this out because at the time of release the FW thread was incredibly active and there seemed to be consensus that Theories of Flight was one of their best albums yet. I'd heard that FW were one of the originators of Progressive Metal, along with Dream Theater, so it seemed like a no brainer. I still haven't gone back and listened to any earlier FW albums yet (any recommendations are welcome) but I will get around to it soon.

Theories of Flight hits that sweet spot, in my opinion, where it is progressive yet still accessible. There are songs on this album which I could easily imagine being played on mainstream radio (Seven Stars for instance). They are catchy, melodic whilst also being heavy and interesting. Every song feels like an anthem in the truest sense of the word. I don't dislike a single song on this record and it's hard to pick out the highlights as they all have their moments.

For a band that formed 35 years ago I find it so impressive that they are able to release albums of this calibre. This offering sounds relevant in this modern era of progressive metal/rock and if I hadn't have known better, I'd have thought this was put out by a much younger band. Every member is firing on all cylinders and it's hard to pick who gives the best performance. I really dig the vocals, Ray Adler just owns it and he shows off a great range.

Last year was really a great year for music and the fact that an album this good is only ranking #18 just goes to show that. I'm pretty sure most of you will already have listened to this by now but if you haven't then do yourself a favour  :tup

Favourite songs: From the Rooftops, Seven Stars, The Ghosts of Home

Offline twosuitsluke

Vektor - Terminal Redux

Ok, apologies so I got way behind with this whole thing as my new job doesn't allow me to spend endless hours at a computer (avoiding my actual job). Anyway, on to #17

When I first heard of this album the term 'progressive thrash' was being thrown around. It was pretty much enough to make me want to check it out (along with all the good reviews it was getting). As my gateway into metal was Metallica, followed by all their thrash peers, thrash has always held a special place in my heart. I don't really listen to any new thrash music at all nowadays but a good portion of my all time favourite albums are thrash albums  :metal

Terminal Redux was a really nice suprise. It is thrashy as hell with lots of super fast riffing but does manage to be the most progressive thrash album I've ever heard. They go down the route of thrash that is sometimes bordering on death metal (sounding like Death, the band, at times) and it just works so well. They really mix it up for a thrash album, including some clean vocals and backing vocals that sound like a choir are accompanying them. There's basically a power ballad on here as well (Collapse). This album is also a sci-fi concept album but I must admit I've not checked out the lyrics or tried to get to grips with the story.

I think it's safe to say Vektor are taking some influence from prog/thrashers Voivod (even there logo is pretty much a rip off), which is no bad thing. The two somgs bookending this album (Charging the Void and Recharging the Void) are really great examples of what to expect from this beast. The latter is probably my favourite song on the album, clocking in at over 13 minutes it's the perfect climax to this sci-fi, thrash, concept mash up. 

Basically if you like death tinged thrash, technical guitar work and sci-fi then you can't really go wrong with this.

Favourite songs: Charging the Void, Collapse, Recharging the Void

If my day continues to be as quiet as it has been so far then I'll try and post the next few albums today as well.

Offline Parama

• Roulette Bandit
  • EP Enthusiast
i liked this one but i don't really go back and revisit it much either.

also lol 3 month bump  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

• I am an exile, a sojourner
  • A citizen of some other place
Oh I didn't comment anything original on FW: it should be 17 places lower :azn:
And I knew exactly what to do. But in a much more real sense, I had no idea what to do. - Michael Scott

Offline twosuitsluke

also lol 3 month bump  :corn

Yea, work has been crazy busy!

Oh I didn't comment anything original on FW: it should be 17 places lower :azn:

Hmmmmm....

Last year was too good! I do really like ToF a lot, not that it's made me check out any earlier FW albums though so maybe not :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #16 going all in...
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »

NOFX - First Ditch Effort

Time for some punk rock all up in this mother...

So NOFX are probably my favourite punk rock band of all time, I'm stating that for all to hear. They have this great blend of catchiness, talented/barely adequate band members, songs about weird shit and a punk rock attitude that has not faultered in 35 years  :metal

So yea, they started in '82 and to be honest they really sucked until the early 90's. By that point they had hired El Hefe (who plays lead guitar, trumpet and is a master of impressions) and he was far and away the only really talented musician in the band at that point. Since then they have had the same line up and have honestly gone from strength to strength. They have released 11 studio albums since Hefe joined (this one being #11) and although they have had some misses during those years they have also comeback and released really strong albums late in their career. This is certainly one of them. In 2006 they released Wolves in Wolves Clothing, which is my fave album of theirs by quite a long way, but the two albums that followed weren't that great (but still good enough). I've always had faith in them though because they have always managed to stay relevant in the the American punk rock scene. This album was a heroic return and reminded me why they are my favourite punk band.

NOFX have a knack for writing songs that aren't really about anything, like an anecdote that isn't even really worth telling, but it still works. Most people would probably find these songs quite stupid but I honestly love it. Lead singer Fat Mike has also quit drinking and drugs in recent years and there are quite a few songs about how that has effected him, in a refreshingly frank way. Another thing he likes to be open and honest about is his love for BDSM and cross dressing  :lol again, it will not be most people's cup of tea but I love them for it. Other than Cramx3 I would be surprised to find many fans of this album in these parts.

First Ditch Effort is kind of exactly what I wanted and needed from NOFX at this point in their career. It feels just like a NOFX record yet still feels fresh. It has songs about how fucked the political climate is, quitting drugs, social commentaries, odes to dead friends and stories about fictional down and outs. I don't know what it is about NOFX songs but I just love to sing along to them. Lets be clear, NOFX are a punk band who aren't concerned with a record sounding perfect. This is rough around the edges and sounds like it was all recorded in one take (which was how they recorded one of their albums in the past  :lol) which translates to how their live shows are.

Here's to you NOFX, never change or grow up, I love you how you are.

Favourite songs: Six Years On Dope, I'm A Transvest-lite, I'm So Sorry Tony