Author Topic: G3  (Read 1593 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: G3
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
The first one was an instrumental cover.  The rest had vocals.  Very blues-based "jammy" kind of tunes.

Interesting, I thought the individual sets were always all instrumental.

I thought the same thing too although I had never been to a G3 show, just have seen one of their DVDs that had JP, Vai, and Satch.  I'd considering going to one of the two shows by me, but I'll be in Denver for one and the other I am going to a different concert that evening.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
I went to the G3 when robert Fripp played and I arrived late to find what I thought was a roadie tuning the guitar, fiddling with some equipment. Ten minutes later when people started clapping I realised that was Fripp and that was the first song 😀

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
The first one was an instrumental cover.  The rest had vocals.  Very blues-based "jammy" kind of tunes.

Interesting, I thought the individual sets were always all instrumental.

When I saw G3 in 2007 Paul Gilbert played many songs with vocals.

I saw G3 on the same tour and I was surprised to hear so many vocals from Gilbert.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:37 PM »
I went to the G3 when robert Fripp played and I arrived late to find what I thought was a roadie tuning the guitar, fiddling with some equipment. Ten minutes later when people started clapping I realised that was Fripp and that was the first song 😀

While I like a lot of what Fripp does, I can totally see that happening.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 05:02:32 AM »
I'm still debating whether or not to see them in Toronto next month. I've seen two G3's: Satch/Eric Johnson/Petrucci (John had MP in his band, and he completely stole the show!) and Satch/Steve Morse/Petrucci.

I should have seen them a third time, with Satch/Fripp/Vai, but got stuck at work on the day of the concert.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
I'm going to the Eindhoven show, looking forward to it!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
I might only stick around for Collen's and JP's set. Satch's songs and setlists have been very boring lately.
"There's no way in hell that John Petrucci's gonna do something that sucks.  It just doesn't happen." - Jordan Rudess

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
I might only stick around for Collen's and JP's set. Satch's songs and setlists have been very boring lately.
I hear you, but the jam is really fun.  I thought they picked really cool song choices.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
This is just fantastic.  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »
Ugh, I just about feel asleep every time Fripp opened for Porcupine Tree back in the day. Absolutely brutal.
Photobucket sucks.