Author Topic: Big Big Train v. Merry Christmas (New Single out on December 8th!!!)  (Read 9446 times)

Offline RoeDent

Re: Big Big Train v. The Second Brightest Star (Out on June 23rd!!!)
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
After some days of thought and deliberation, I've come up with my own "Albion III" Tracklist (Wassail/Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS), divided into 4 conceptual LPs:

LP1 - The Lore & Myths
Side 1 - Folklore, Along The Ridgeway, Salisbury Giant, Grimspound
Side 2 - Wassail, Haymaking, The Leaden Stour, The Ivy Gate

LP2 - The London Sequence
Side 1 - Turner On The Thames/London Plane, Mudlarks, Lost Rivers Of London
Side 2 - London Stone, Skylon, A Mead Hall In Winter

LP3 - In Science And Art
Side 1 - Meadowland, The Second Brightest Star, Experimental Gentlemen
Side 2 - The Transit Of Venus Across The Sun, Terra Australis Incognita, As The Crow Flies, The Gentlemen's Reprise

LP4 - The True Stories
Side 1 - Brave Captain, The Passing Widow, Winkie
Side 2 - On The Racing Line/Brooklands, Telling The Bees

This was the best I could muster up, being a young 33 y/o American with little knowledge of British history and folklore, using only what I could find in the lyrics and liner-notes for ideas on how to conceptualize the post-EEFP music. Each "LP" runs about 49/50 minutes long, though the third one comes in at a shorter 42:17.

I wanted to open the whole thing with the first three tracks of Folklore because the sequencing was pretty good already, and with that in mind, I sought to collect the other tracks with roots in folklore and myth, and I think I've done that to a fair degree here. The challenge was finding an arrangement that worked with each song, and closing Side 1 with "Grimspound" seemed approrpriate. My other goal was to open side 2 with "Wassail", so that left placing the last three tracks into a good-sounding order. I put "Haymaking" next because continuing the beautiful violin playing at the end of "Wassail" seemed to work, and closing with "The Ivy Gate" fits pretty well, with its rainy fadeout.

For the sequence of the second LP, I wanted to keep the LP/Mudlarks/LROL sequence from the Folklore vinyl, so that left finding a home for "London Stone" and "Skylon" on side 2, and opening with "London Stone" book-ends that side very well with its melodic reprise in "A Mead Hall In Winter". Everything seemed to fall into place pretty well with this LP after all was said and done. It was the first of the four that I finished re-arranging!

For what I dub the "In Science And Art" LP, I wanted to open with "Meadowland" to echo the closing of the previous LP (with its obvious connection to AMHIW). "Experimental Gentlemen" had to come first before "Terra Australis Incognita" and the Reprise, so it had to be on Side 1, which was fleshed out with "The Second Brightest Star". Oddly enough, sequencing "Experimental Gentlemen" before "Transit" worked thematically according to the story in the liner notes about Captain Cook's voyages. This just meant sorting the last three songs into an order that worked, and closing with the short reprisal mirrors opening with one on this LP.

Lastly, the "True Stories" LP, the songs whose inspiration comes from real people, places and times (with slight exception to the closer). Going through the liner notes and lyrics, I started to see a selection of songs that were based on true stories, and oddly enough, there seemed to be enough to cover a 50-minute LP! I wanted to close with the sequence the closed Folklore, no doubt, and so that meant sorting out the other 3 tracks into an agreeable order. Opening with "Brave Captain" seemed like a no-brainer to me, and closing the first half of this LP with "Winkie" worked for me, as I felt putting "The Passing Widow" between those two giant prog songs felt like a beautiful breather.

(Shared from my post in the BBT Facebook group)

-Marc.

That looks awesome! I love the titles you've given to the individual discs.
*smash cut to a bleached white skeleton*

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2017, 04:26:23 AM »
After some days of thought and deliberation, I've come up with my own "Albion III" Tracklist (Wassail/Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS), divided into 4 conceptual LPs:

LP1 - The Lore & Myths
Side 1 - Folklore, Along The Ridgeway, Salisbury Giant, Grimspound
Side 2 - Wassail, Haymaking, The Leaden Stour, The Ivy Gate

LP2 - The London Sequence
Side 1 - Turner On The Thames/London Plane, Mudlarks, Lost Rivers Of London
Side 2 - London Stone, Skylon, A Mead Hall In Winter

LP3 - In Science And Art
Side 1 - Meadowland, The Second Brightest Star, Experimental Gentlemen
Side 2 - The Transit Of Venus Across The Sun, Terra Australis Incognita, As The Crow Flies, The Gentlemen's Reprise

LP4 - The True Stories
Side 1 - Brave Captain, The Passing Widow, Winkie
Side 2 - On The Racing Line/Brooklands, Telling The Bees

This was the best I could muster up, being a young 33 y/o American with little knowledge of British history and folklore, using only what I could find in the lyrics and liner-notes for ideas on how to conceptualize the post-EEFP music. Each "LP" runs about 49/50 minutes long, though the third one comes in at a shorter 42:17.

I wanted to open the whole thing with the first three tracks of Folklore because the sequencing was pretty good already, and with that in mind, I sought to collect the other tracks with roots in folklore and myth, and I think I've done that to a fair degree here. The challenge was finding an arrangement that worked with each song, and closing Side 1 with "Grimspound" seemed approrpriate. My other goal was to open side 2 with "Wassail", so that left placing the last three tracks into a good-sounding order. I put "Haymaking" next because continuing the beautiful violin playing at the end of "Wassail" seemed to work, and closing with "The Ivy Gate" fits pretty well, with its rainy fadeout.

For the sequence of the second LP, I wanted to keep the LP/Mudlarks/LROL sequence from the Folklore vinyl, so that left finding a home for "London Stone" and "Skylon" on side 2, and opening with "London Stone" book-ends that side very well with its melodic reprise in "A Mead Hall In Winter". Everything seemed to fall into place pretty well with this LP after all was said and done. It was the first of the four that I finished re-arranging!

For what I dub the "In Science And Art" LP, I wanted to open with "Meadowland" to echo the closing of the previous LP (with its obvious connection to AMHIW). "Experimental Gentlemen" had to come first before "Terra Australis Incognita" and the Reprise, so it had to be on Side 1, which was fleshed out with "The Second Brightest Star". Oddly enough, sequencing "Experimental Gentlemen" before "Transit" worked thematically according to the story in the liner notes about Captain Cook's voyages. This just meant sorting the last three songs into an order that worked, and closing with the short reprisal mirrors opening with one on this LP.

Lastly, the "True Stories" LP, the songs whose inspiration comes from real people, places and times (with slight exception to the closer). Going through the liner notes and lyrics, I started to see a selection of songs that were based on true stories, and oddly enough, there seemed to be enough to cover a 50-minute LP! I wanted to close with the sequence the closed Folklore, no doubt, and so that meant sorting out the other 3 tracks into an agreeable order. Opening with "Brave Captain" seemed like a no-brainer to me, and closing the first half of this LP with "Winkie" worked for me, as I felt putting "The Passing Widow" between those two giant prog songs felt like a beautiful breather.

(Shared from my post in the BBT Facebook group)

-Marc.

Dude that's awesome, I will have to listen through the whole thing like this when I drive to the Loreley festival tomorrow. I sometimes thought "no I would have done this differently", but after reading your text, I fully get it now.

BTW I am also in the BBT FB group, I am the guy who posted the three pictures with my friend taking the Sunday off listening through the Trilogy!
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
--snip--

-Marc.

Thanks! Yeah, the titles were pretty much on-the-fly, and with a bit more thought and time, I probably could've picked a couple better ones, but they seem to fit each LP's "theme" that is weaved throughout the songs on them.

Dude that's awesome, I will have to listen through the whole thing like this when I drive to the Loreley festival tomorrow. I sometimes thought "no I would have done this differently", but after reading your text, I fully get it now.

BTW I am also in the BBT FB group, I am the guy who posted the three pictures with my friend taking the Sunday off listening through the Trilogy!

I saw your pics! Looks like a cracking good time! :tup Let me know what you think of my running order after you give it a chance. Granted, it's a 3+ hour tracklist, so you can take it in four chunks, as the faux-LPs I have made up, and give me your thoughts on those. I made it so that each LP can sort of stand alone and flow like its own album with a beginning, middle and end, but there are a lot of themes, both lyrically and melodically, that flow throughout the whole album, like how LP2 ends with "A Mead Hall In Winter" and LP3 begins with "Meadowland", which a sort of mini-sister song to "Mead Hall" in that it shares some lyrics and melodies.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - I am currently taking a hiatus from running any Survivors at the moment,
 but feel free to check out others' that are running in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!! Maybe in the coming months, I'll start up again with a different band if there is interest...

Offline soupytwist

« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »
Finally got my copy of Second Brightest Star over the weekend.   Firstly it's more 'Big Big Train' music, which is great, but overall it does feel a little bit like the leftovers, which is basically what it is.   You have five new tracks, and a couple of instrumentals (London Stone & Terra Austrailis) that are slight reworks of sections of songs we've heard before - which I don't really think add much at all.   The five new track are all fine 'Leaden Stour' is probably the only one I'd class as a really good BBT song,  I'd have personally liked to have seen 'Lost Rivers of London' make this album as I think it's a absolute gem hidden away on the Wassail EP.

The extended versions of Brooklands and London Plane (a new amazing intro) are worthy additions, not so sure about Gentleman's Reprise though.

Overall a nice enough package, but it feels like what it is - the last few remaining songs from a very productive era.  It's definitely the weakest album, but then again it probably was always going to be, and you can't be to harsh on a band that have given up so much music in such a small space of time!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:25:57 AM by soupytwist »

Online ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
I like the main album (the first seven tracks) a lot - great accompaniment to the last two albums. The three "reworkings" seem completely pointless to me.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »
I kind of treat TSBS as two separate EPs. More often than not, I'll probably just stop after track 7.
*smash cut to a bleached white skeleton*

Offline soupytwist

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »
I have an Uncle who I believe would really like this band, he's very much into his 70's prog.  He's not tech savoy so I can't just point him in the direction of spotify, so I attempted to create him a couple of CD's worth on Material - once I started this task I realised two CD's simply wasn't enough - so I upped it to three................and now it's ended up at four.

It's taken me the entire afternoon to do this.  Each CD has 10 Tracks of which I've tried to stick to a formula, and tried to mix the tracks from the albums around, and keep the quality over the 4 CD's roughly even.   Each CD is roughly the same length all in the 78-79 minutes long.

This is material from "The Underfall Yard" onwards.

The formula for each CD is.
Track 1 - A Quality attention grabber.
Track 2 - Upbeat.
Track 3 - Shorter of two epics.
Track 4 - A Mid length great track.
Track 5 - Shorter Filler.
Track 6 - Longer of two epics
Track 7 - Ballad.
Track 8 - Longer Filler.
Track 9 - Short Song/Instrumental.
Track 10 - Closer.

Filler is just a term for the songs that didn't fit the other places.  Anyway these are the 4 CD's (name shorted as I was working this out of a spreadsheet /geek).

CD1

1. Folklore
2. Brambling
3. Kingmaker
4. Swan Hunter
5. Leaden Stour
6. Meadhall
7. Grimspound
8. Boy In Darkness
9. Sailisbury Giant
10. Butterflies

CD2

1. Winkie
2. Keeper of Abbeys
3. Brave Captain
4. Seen Better Days
5. Skylon
6. London Plane (Extended Version)
7. Leopards
8. Winchester Diver
9. Uncle Jack
10. Hedgerow

CD3

1. Make Some Noise
2. Lost Rivers
3. Gentlemen
4. Wassail
5. Fat Billy
6. Underfall
7. Upton Heath
8. St Giles
9. Meadowlands
10. Telling the Bees

CD4

1. Judas
2. Master James
3. Victorian Brickwork
4. Venus
5. The Ivy Gate
6. Brooklands
7. Passing Widow
8. Rebreather
9. Haymaking
10. Permanent Way

Sadly these didn't make the cut (ironically these 10 tracks could easily be a fifth CD or good quality).

Worked Out
The Lovers
East Coast Racer
Last Train
Ridgeway
Wide Open Sea
Summoned By Bells
Second Brightest Star
Edgelands
Crow Flies

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:32:34 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2017, 05:06:22 AM »
These guys are on fire! I hope this is not cheesy though.

MERRY CHRISTMAS by Big Big Train
Three times Progressive Music Award winning band, Big Big Train, will be releasing their first Christmas single on December 8th 2017.
The single is called Merry Christmas and will be released on 8th December on limited edition 7-inch snow white vinyl (with a gatefold cover), digipack CD, high-resolution and standard-resolution download and streaming. The vinyl, CD and high-resolution download versions of the release will feature a ‘b’ side called Snowfalls.
The artwork for Merry Christmas has been painted by Sarah Louise Ewing and will also feature on a new range of Christmas cards.
A donation to the Night Stop homelessness charity will be made for every copy of the vinyl, CD, download and Christmas card sold.
Merry Christmas is available to pre-order now from the band’s official stores:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain/
(for vinyl and CD pre-orders)
http://www.themerchdesk.com
(for vinyl and CD pre-orders, Christmas cards and other merchandise)
Merry Christmas is also available to pre-order from Amazon, HMV and other good online and high-street record stores.
The high-resolution (24/96) download version of Merry Christmas will be available to buy on Big Big Train’s Bandcamp shop on the 8th December:
https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/
Big Big Train vocalist David Longdon says: ‘Merry Christmas is a song about rediscovering our childlike belief in the magic of Christmas, despite living in an over commercial and sometimes cynical world. After all, what wouldn’t you give to believe again, like you believed back then?’
Alongside Big Big Train’s full line-up which performed recently at the band’s three sold-out shows at Cadogan Hall in London, Merry Christmas features the beautiful singing of The Chapel Choir Choristers of Jesus College, Cambridge.
Bass player Greg Spawton: ‘We wanted Merry Christmas to be a proper Christmas song. Christmas music needs a choir, a brass band and, of course, sleigh bells’.
The promotional film for Merry Christmas stars Mark Benton and will be premiered on the 1st December.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
These guys are on fire! I hope this is not cheesy though.

MERRY CHRISTMAS by Big Big Train
Three times Progressive Music Award winning band, Big Big Train, will be releasing their first Christmas single on December 8th 2017.
The single is called Merry Christmas and will be released on 8th December on limited edition 7-inch snow white vinyl (with a gatefold cover), digipack CD, high-resolution and standard-resolution download and streaming. The vinyl, CD and high-resolution download versions of the release will feature a ‘b’ side called Snowfalls.
The artwork for Merry Christmas has been painted by Sarah Louise Ewing and will also feature on a new range of Christmas cards.
A donation to the Night Stop homelessness charity will be made for every copy of the vinyl, CD, download and Christmas card sold.
Merry Christmas is available to pre-order now from the band’s official stores:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain/
(for vinyl and CD pre-orders)
http://www.themerchdesk.com
(for vinyl and CD pre-orders, Christmas cards and other merchandise)
Merry Christmas is also available to pre-order from Amazon, HMV and other good online and high-street record stores.
The high-resolution (24/96) download version of Merry Christmas will be available to buy on Big Big Train’s Bandcamp shop on the 8th December:
https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/
Big Big Train vocalist David Longdon says: ‘Merry Christmas is a song about rediscovering our childlike belief in the magic of Christmas, despite living in an over commercial and sometimes cynical world. After all, what wouldn’t you give to believe again, like you believed back then?’
Alongside Big Big Train’s full line-up which performed recently at the band’s three sold-out shows at Cadogan Hall in London, Merry Christmas features the beautiful singing of The Chapel Choir Choristers of Jesus College, Cambridge.
Bass player Greg Spawton: ‘We wanted Merry Christmas to be a proper Christmas song. Christmas music needs a choir, a brass band and, of course, sleigh bells’.
The promotional film for Merry Christmas stars Mark Benton and will be premiered on the 1st December.

If it's got the same general style and feel of a song like "Wassail", I'll be excited.

I saw this yesterday and meant to post about it, so thank you Fritzinger for doing so - I also updated the thread title to reflect the new release. Agreed, this band has been on fire this and last year, with so much new music! I'm worried that we'll go through a drought of two or three years until their next big release, though, which, from what I gathered last time, will be a concept album (so it'll probably be something big and long). They also have their multi-volume Retrospective of old songs re-recorded by the current line-up, so I look forward to hearing that whenever they get around to it.

Until then, I've pre-ordered the single CD from  burningshed and look forward to hearing it in a few weeks!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - I am currently taking a hiatus from running any Survivors at the moment,
 but feel free to check out others' that are running in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!! Maybe in the coming months, I'll start up again with a different band if there is interest...

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
Re: Big Big Train v. Merry Christmas (New Single out on December 8th!!!)
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2017, 03:25:53 AM »
I think they should all the time they need, and I'm sure their next album will kick ass.

Also I hope that if they rerecord old music, they rerecord  full albums (although I somehow doubt it).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
The new single is out today, available for listen and purchase on Bandcamp. I ordered the CD from Burningshed but went ahead and bought it digitally from Bandcamp cuz I couldn't wait. It's a great single, both songs are what I'd expect, but the end of Snowfalls is particularly noteworthy.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
So it's been a few days since the single came out and I'm wondering if anyone else here has heard it yet? Roe, Fritz? Bueller?

The A-side is pretty good, very festive and uplifting in its chorus, but the verses point out some of the darkness that the holidays have turned into in recent decades, which is a bit of a sad thing. They do a great job of breathing life into the sort of mythical air of Christmas and the magical splendor it holds in the eyes of children, and so having the boys choir at the end really helps sell that child-like innocence that Christmas can hold.

The B-side is the stand-out, though, with an ending that blows my mind. It's hard to describe, but it builds up and crescendos with such great release that it's one of the most satisfying endings I've heard to a song like it in awhile. Everything about "Snowfalls" is absolutely stellar and must be heard for any BBT fan.

Hope to hear what you other guys have to say about this single. I've been listening to it all weekend and it's gotten me back in the mood for a BBT binge, which is perfect music for the holidays without being directly Christmas music.

-Marc.

Offline soupytwist

So it's been a few days since the single came out and I'm wondering if anyone else here has heard it yet? Roe, Fritz? Bueller?

The A-side is pretty good, very festive and uplifting in its chorus, but the verses point out some of the darkness that the holidays have turned into in recent decades, which is a bit of a sad thing. They do a great job of breathing life into the sort of mythical air of Christmas and the magical splendor it holds in the eyes of children, and so having the boys choir at the end really helps sell that child-like innocence that Christmas can hold.

The B-side is the stand-out, though, with an ending that blows my mind. It's hard to describe, but it builds up and crescendos with such great release that it's one of the most satisfying endings I've heard to a song like it in awhile. Everything about "Snowfalls" is absolutely stellar and must be heard for any BBT fan.

Hope to hear what you other guys have to say about this single. I've been listening to it all weekend and it's gotten me back in the mood for a BBT binge, which is perfect music for the holidays without being directly Christmas music.

-Marc.

I can only find 'Merry Christmas' on iTunes UK, 'Snowfall' doesn't appear.   I haven't download Merry Christmas yet as I'm hoping a version with Snowfall will appear soon.

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
Both songs are absolutely beautiful, as expected (at least by me). Snowfalls is a typical BBT song which every fan will love. The ending is stunning.

I am falling in love with this band more and more !!!