Author Topic: The addictions thread  (Read 65171 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The addictions thread
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
I switched to ecigs,got the refillable vaporizer unit and can control my nicotine levels. Working really well so far.
My brother quit with this technique. Best of luck!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Solid step in the right direction, dude  :tup

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Found on Reddit today.  Would this help, if your SO encouraged you this way?

"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2013, 12:23:06 AM »
If I had a SO, yes, that would help tremendously.

And thanks for the support guys, unlike the drinking thing, which was more a matter of survival, this is something I'm doing to better my life all around. The money, the not smelling like ass, the extra time, the self pride and confidence, all that shit.

(yes, I know cigs will kill me too, but the drinking was gonna kill me a whole lot sooner, like really quickly if I didn't stop)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
OK, cigarettes won this round. I can't believe how strong the addiction is, damn man. I think my main mistake was going with a nicotine content in the vape liquid that was too strong, made it a drug in its own right, not good man. Gonna talk to my addiction counselor and a bud of mine who pulled it off, make a good gameplan for this.

I will be back, as DTF is my witness, I will quit smoking.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
sorry, man.  keep at it!  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
I will dude. It's funny, I smoked that first one, and was all "damn, these taste like shit" :rollin

Then smoked another. Fucking idiocy :lol

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
OK, cigarettes won this round. I can't believe how strong the addiction is, damn man. I think my main mistake was going with a nicotine content in the vape liquid that was too strong, made it a drug in its own right, not good man. Gonna talk to my addiction counselor and a bud of mine who pulled it off, make a good gameplan for this.

I will be back, as DTF is my witness, I will quit smoking.

I will hold you to that. If not I will keep nagging you. I want you around for a long time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
As I told you before.....many many times....I got one mother to nag me, that's enough. :lol

(appreciate it Kym  :-* )

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »
Hey, if a great chef like you RJ, is not fat, then you can beat anything.

Signed,
                                                           A Paul Prudhomme look a like.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
As I told you before.....many many times....I got one mother to nag me, that's enough. :lol

(appreciate it Kym  :-* )

I nag because I love you.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
Necrothread.

Been smoking for about 2 years.  Need to give it up.  Has anyone tried/had any success with the Alan Carr book 'Easy Way to Quit Smoking'?  I read like, half of it and ended up not smoking for a week, which was pretty shocking.  I feel like its some kind of hypnosis or something cos the book is insanely repetitive insanely repetitive insanely repetitive.

Also, interested to see how you are all doing with this sorta stuff, if you feel like sharing.  Reading through this has been heartwarming <three

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2015, 09:55:17 PM »
Clean from meth for over ten years.

Last pot smoked on 12/7/10 (I remember the date cause it was at the Wall during Comfortably Numb)

Last booze, and my official sobriety date- 5/28/11
I still attend regular 12 step meetings as well as a weekly chemical dependancy therapist. Best ride of my life for sure.

And tomorrow marks three weeks without a smoke. Just using the patch and my plethora of addiction knowledge, it's been a pretty easy ride so far. I honestly think the days leading up to my quit date were harder than the actual quitting.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2015, 03:37:17 AM »
Congrats RJ! I'm really happy you can put all those things behind you  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:33 AM »
Congrats!

I always struggled to get to the three week mark. I think three weeks is significant though - it was always where the cravings started to drop off.

I'm smoke free since mid September last year. I like being able to wear the same hoody a couple of days in a row!
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »
OK, I quit smoking cigarettes in 1996.  The *only* reason I was able to put them down is because I was in prison and they banned all tobacco products in the MA Prison System starting on June 1, 1996.   

To give you some perspective on it, I felt equally miserable when I quit heroin in 1985. 

And there is absolutely no way I would have been able to quit smoking on my own.

It's one of the few good things that sprung from my long-term incarceration.

RJ - 3 weeks means you're over the hump, bro.   You know how to do this.  So do it.    One thing that I remember was helpful was i kept one of those cheap Bic pens in my hands pretty much all day.  I chewed on it, fiddled and diddled with it, but it helped occupy my head a little bit.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
Thanks bro, I honestly feel the ole HP is giving me a pass on this one. I'm actually having a fairly easy time at this one. I think it's partly because unlike all the other habits which I was kinda forced into quitting on some level or another, this one I'm doing solely out of self care, a rarity in my past. So with each craving, I am gently reminding myself that I am worth doing this for. The perspective really helps.

Course, I have put on about ten pounds already, kinda rough quitting in a high end kitchen  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »
OK, I quit smoking cigarettes in 1996.  The *only* reason I was able to put them down is because I was in prison and they banned all tobacco products in the MA Prison System starting on June 1, 1996.   

If you don't mind my asking, was it that literal?  Meaning, you could smoke on May 31, then bam, they took your supply at midnight, and you were done, cold turkey the next day?

(This is a sincere question and has nothing to do with you or your resolve, I'm just curious how they implement something like that).

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
Lonestar,

I don't know if this will help, but the only way I've ever found to not gain weight while quitting smoking is to get in forty-five minutes to an hour of extra cardio exercise per day...and it doesn't have to be strenuous. Just going for a forty five minute walk (just a tad slower than a brisk pace) after dinner, every day, does it for me. The extra cardio is great because it both kills craving and is time away from available snacks.

Then again, I don't work in a high end kitchen.  :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »
Extra cardio? You mean some cardio to begin with, right?  :lol

I appreciate it, it's something Nem has been pressing on me to do as well, I've been thinking just a light jog in the morning to wake my ass up and get the blood pumping. I already am pretty active with working on my feet for ten plus hours a day.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
 :lol I know the feeling.

I've found it increasingly important for us...uuuu...men of a certain age, to get in some cardio though. I do some brisk walking in the morning (about 3 miles) followed by a short amount of yoga (ashtanga sun salutations) then a more leisurely walk at night after dinner makes all the difference in fending off weight gain.

Oh, and other less savory habits.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
Clean from meth for over ten years.

Last pot smoked on 12/7/10 (I remember the date cause it was at the Wall during Comfortably Numb)

Last booze, and my official sobriety date- 5/28/11
I still attend regular 12 step meetings as well as a weekly chemical dependancy therapist. Best ride of my life for sure.

And tomorrow marks three weeks without a smoke. Just using the patch and my plethora of addiction knowledge, it's been a pretty easy ride so far. I honestly think the days leading up to my quit date were harder than the actual quitting.

I'm so proud of you! :-*

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2015, 10:09:26 PM »
One of these days I'll quit drinking.  I don't do it everyday but the probably is once I start I can't stop.  I can't just have A drink.  Many drinks must follow and therein lies the problem.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »
The first thing alcohol does to me is takes away my ability to stop, that is why one is too many and a thousand never enough.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
The first thing alcohol does to me is takes away my ability to stop, that is why one is too many and a thousand never enough.

This is me to a 'T'. Exactly why I stopped......there is no 'off' switch, it is 'drink every ounce of alcohol in the county'. At this point (5 1/2 years with no alcohol) I don't really even think it'd be fun to drink knowing how my body would react and feel. I can safely say that the desire to drink is not there but I know that if I were to even take a sip it'd resurface with a vengence.....that's why I just don't do it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »

Therein lies my issue.   Like right now I am fine.  I'm not drinking because there is nothing in the house.  If I were to have a 6 pack in front of me, I would finish it in a couple of hours and then have to walk across the street to get something else. 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
Congarts Lonestar.  I quit smoking cigars using the nic gum and the step down to no gum was fairly easy. That has been 6 years.  I used the site QUITNET during my quit.  Some folks on the QUITNET site did not consider cigars as being addictive.  Trust, me they are. 

It is kind of strange how some folks can drink socially, but some folks cannot.  My friends think it is unusual that I drink more than a case of beer at the beach on vacation and then drink nothing until the next beach vacation.

Keep up the good work and do not worry about the weight gain!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
I can't kick any of my addictions or habits.  Congrats to all who have more resolve than me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »

Therein lies my issue.   Like right now I am fine.  I'm not drinking because there is nothing in the house.  If I were to have a 6 pack in front of me, I would finish it in a couple of hours and then have to walk across the street to get something else.

Have you ever considered just quitting forever?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »

This is me to a 'T'. Exactly why I stopped......there is no 'off' switch, it is 'drink every ounce of alcohol in the county'. At this point (5 1/2 years with no alcohol) I don't really even think it'd be fun to drink knowing how my body would react and feel. I can safely say that the desire to drink is not there but I know that if I were to even take a sip it'd resurface with a vengence.....that's why I just don't do it.

I had this problem for a while. These days, I get to beer number 4 or 5 and it's like hitting brick wall. I lose all desire to continue drinking and it almost becomes a chore. I got pretty lucky in that regard. I'm not really sure why it panned out that way, but I can't complain. I think a big part of it is just my body getting older. Even though I am only 26, I can't do the things I did 5 years ago. Stay up later than 11? Pffft. Deal with a hangover? Fuck that noise.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »

Yes.  I  tried a couple of times.  Both times I was good for about a month or so and then I had a craving.  One turns into many and the wagon is  departing without me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »

Yes.  I  tried a couple of times.  Both times I was good for about a month or so and then I had a craving.  One turns into many and the wagon is  departing without me.

Please always feel free to message me here or on FB if you ever want help or just need to talk about it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »

Please always feel free to message me here or on FB if you ever want help or just need to talk about it.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I just might take you up on that offer sooner than later.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
Just dawned on me yesterday in a conversation with my brother in law......this past June 28th was 6 years sober for me. It seems like ages.....and I know it's a lifelong battle but I honestly do not have the urge to drink...at all. I won't let my guard down but I feel good where I'm at with it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal