Author Topic: The addictions thread  (Read 65155 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The addictions thread
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
Addicted to the Internet. I'm on it for more than like an hour or day, and not for school.

I'm not quite sure that constitutes an addiction.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
It's probably more like 3 or more.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
It's probably more like 3 or more.

You're fine. I don't want to get into a debate about what constitutes an addiction out of respect for the people here who actually have addictions. But rest assured....you're fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
I mean, it's a real thing. Addictions don't have to be based on external substances. Obviously it's not a dangerous of an addiction as smoking/drinking/drug use, but it's still a problem.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
H, I agree with Adami that you're probably fine, unless your internet use is so heavy that it's interfering with your life in some way (like you're ignoring your responsibilities because you're too busy browsing the internet), but that wouldn't seem to be the case if you're only on the Internet for 3 hrs/day.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
I mean, it's a real thing. Addictions don't have to be based on external substances. Obviously it's not a dangerous of an addiction as smoking/drinking/drug use, but it's still a problem.

If you are restless, irritable, and discontented in it's absence, then it might be an issue, but I'm talking an extended absence.

As a sufferer of behavioral addictions also(there really isn't much I'm not addicted to), yes, they are very real, and can be AS destructive as a chemical addiction.

Online Adami

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »

Oh I well versed in addictions of multitude. You're still fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
I'm on the internet way, way more than that, but I wouldn't say I'm addicted. It doesn't interfere with my life, I just have so much free time and that goes to internet.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
I'm now one week and one day away from 2 years. It is just a miracle that I've made it this far. I've been dealing with a lot of personal issues the last few months. There was a few times before I got serious again that I had drugs on me. I feel I'm doing better emotional then I was in January. I'm not having 3-4 panic attacks a day. I'm not having nightmares nightly and actually sleeping through the night. Has been so long since I've done that.

I'm looking forward to my move to Florida in the next couple of months. A new beginning for me. I need that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
Not to be lurkish, but where in Florida? I just moved to the Tampa area recently and if you ever wanted to catch some lunch I'd find that to be swell :)

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
Not to be lurkish, but where in Florida? I just moved to the Tampa area recently and if you ever wanted to catch some lunch I'd find that to be swell :)

St. Augustine

Offline Ħ

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
Basically, I'm not addicted to anything anymore. Yay! Solution: being busy. I simply don't have time to develop/maintain an addiction.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »

St. Augustine
Welp, that's a bit too far, but I hope you enjoy Florida regardless!
P.S. That's where one of my favorite musicians lived, she moved to Oregon though D:

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »
I reached my 2 yrs on Tuesday! It was an amazing feeling. It hasn't been easy the last couple yrs. I want to thank RJ, Rai, and Barry for being there for me. Also, very sorry for how I have treated you guys the last few years as well. I love you guys!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
I am very much addicted to caffiene. Hard for me to go long without a coffee or soda or whatever else has caffeine.

I smoke a lot of pot. I'm not so sure of how addicted I am. I used to smoke a bowl every day for like 7 years with sometimes a month break in between. Now I smoke a few times a week, sometimes twice, sometimes up to six times. I love the stuff and I feel it is good for me in a way I can't explain easily. I notice no difference at all in my life when I'm smoking or not which is why its hard for me to say if I am addicted.

I drink alcohol twice maybe three times at most a week. I think my fiance thinks I'm addicted to that because when I drink, I drink a lot.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »

St. Augustine
Welp, that's a bit too far, but I hope you enjoy Florida regardless!
P.S. That's where one of my favorite musicians lived, she moved to Oregon though D:

I have a friend that lives in Lakeland. We plan to meet up sometime this summer. It might be a half way point for both of us though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2013, 01:06:08 AM »
It has now been two years since my last drink. Huge thanks to all of you who have been so supportive over that time, I am humbled and grateful  :heart

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2013, 04:51:18 AM »
 :laugh: Congrats RJ! You are an example to all of us
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2013, 06:30:24 AM »
:hifive:

We are humbled by your commitment bro.  Not glad that you went through all of what you had to, but glad you've gone through the last 2 years the way you have.  Otherwise there'd be a few dozen people here that would've missed out on your awesomeness.  In the end, you wouldn't be the person you are today without all the experiences you had to endure.

:RJ:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »
It has now been two years since my last drink. Huge thanks to all of you who have been so supportive over that time, I am humbled and grateful  :heart
That's awesome! I know how difficult that is to do....yesterday was my 4 year anniversary. I wish you nothing but strength as you continue on in the fight.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »
That's awesome! I know how difficult that is to do....yesterday was my 4 year anniversary. I wish you nothing but strength as you continue on in the fight.

Kudo's to you too Gary.

:hug:

:nohomo:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2013, 07:35:02 AM »
Kick ass!!!

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »

So proud if you, RJ! I know how hard it is. You are such a strong person. So glad you are my big brother.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »

Proud of you! 4 years is a long time. I had 6 years before my relapse from hell. I'm now clean from pills, coke, heroin, and alcohol for a little over 2 years. RJ, Rai, and Barry has watched me over the last few years go through my personal hell. They are awesome guys and I love them all.

I don't know your story but I'm still proud of you and congratulations. All of us need to stick together to continue our journey and to watch the years add up of each other.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »

:hug:

:nohomo:

Where's my hug.....

And Gary, awesome man!!!

Kym... :heart

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
:caffeine:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »

Proud of you! 4 years is a long time. I had 6 years before my relapse from hell. I'm now clean from pills, coke, heroin, and alcohol for a little over 2 years. RJ, Rai, and Barry has watched me over the last few years go through my personal hell. They are awesome guys and I love them all.

I don't know your story but I'm still proud of you and congratulations. All of us need to stick together to continue our journey and to watch the years add up of each other.

The short and sweet version of my story is I had an older male cousin that when I was 9 decided he'd 'do' things to me. We were inseparable and I guess his plan all along was to get close to me then execute his plan.
  Bottom line is I spent about 10 years self medicating wih Pot and booze. Once I realized I had a drinking problem I went into counseling to 'understand' my actions better. It helped a lot. But honestly, my biggest inspiration has been God....and my awesome Wife. Then when we had kids I knew I owed it to them to try and be 'the best' Dad possible. And drinking wasn't helping.
  I think those of us who are in this battle know there is no 'winning' it. It truly is a day to day deal. I'm just VERY blessed with a great wife to help me keep focused and awesome kids who inspire me to make the right choices. But I know I'm one selfish thought and action away from it all.
  I hope we all remain diligent and thoughtful in the fight!!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
I was closet drinking Vodka for a couple of years  from like 04 to 06. My wife kept finding bottles hidden in the basement. She would confront me and I would promise not to do it again. Then I would and get caught again.
It was ugly and it threatened my marriage. Not only from the drinking part of it, but from a lack of trust she had in me. I finally wised up and stopped doing it. I was in a very dark place during those years for a few reasons.

I turned the page and while I am still a beer drinker now, I truly pick my spots and drink in moderation. My wife trusts me again and I have not betrayed that trust.

The one thing I would say about losing someones trust. Even once they tell you they really do trust you again, the tormenting thing for you as an individual is that its takes you a longer time for you to feel worthy of that trust, and part of you for a long period of time doesn't really believe they truly trust you. You think they are just saying they do. Its a bit of mental anguish, but I earned it.

Some might say I should have stopped drinking altogether but I was never really drinking a lot every day, just enough to numb my pain and feel medicated. I was probably drinking a little over a half pint of vodka a day.
It all started when I injured  my shoulder and it took my career of installing flooring away from me forever. I couldn't deal with it, and was mired in depression for quite awhile. I had just turned 40 and I was in a very bad place.

I greatly admire and respect those who beat addictions. I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 13 years and quit cold turkey. Its been 25 years since I quit smoking. I am still thankful today that I broke free of that habit.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
I've had long arguments with people about what i perceive to be the difference between being addicted to a soft drink and just liking the taste so much you just choose it over any other soft drink.

The difference being - i can quite easily NOT drink it. I once went for two months without any caffeine at all when my doctor advised me to after i developed a tremor in both my hands [ which wasn't helped by poor diet and lack of sleep ... ]

But if you like something a bit more than average then it's an addiction apparently.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »

:hug: :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »

:hug: :heart

You must be parched :neverusethis:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »
:icy:

Was waiting for that one  :P

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
It's an awesome accomplishment to get sober, especially the first time trying, and achieve two years of continuous sobriety.  I've battled addiction longer than I care to admit and I have rarely come out on the winning side. 

Someone once asked me what it was like to be addicted to drugs or alcohol.  I explained it this way:

1. Blow every ounce of air out of your lungs and then hold your breath right there.
2. When you have reached one minute without inhaling, think about how it feels needing to just take that next breath.
3. Think about what it might feel like to have a need that powerful 24/7/365, because that's what it's like being an addict.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
Sounds about right.