Author Topic: The addictions thread  (Read 65156 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The addictions thread
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
Hey lonestar, as a guy who has been in and out of recovery for almost 30 years (I had 14 years of sobriety until not too long ago) I just wanted to congratulate you on your success.  Well done, sir.  I know what it takes.   :)

Thanks man, it's a shitload of work, a lot more than being a drunk, that's for sure.  I've seen you post about addiction before, I was waiting for you to pop up in this thread.  I appreciate any advice, help, support, whatever.  I'm still fresh to it, and am soaking up experience and info like a sponge.

The best advice I can give you is avoid complacency in recovery.  The minute you think "I've got this" you're heading in a bad direction.  All any of us have is a day.
So true, my primary goal when I wake up is to hit my pillow that night sober.  The rest of life is secondary.  If I don't put sobriety first, I must be willing to lose everything.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
  I think you have to be a little crazy to be a chef.   :laugh:

:frank:

It is predominate in the business, no doubt about that.  I think a lot of it is a hereditary trait, the noobs trying to live up to the veterans and all.  A lot has to do with the stress levels, anyone who has done it can agree with me that a high volume kitchen is an intense fucking enviornment.  It's worse as the chef, because you are the liason between the insanity of the kitchen and the insanity of the floor, and you are the one coordinating the two insanities.  It's really fucked up at times.  The one other thing that contributes is that when I get off at 11 at night, where do you think I and other industry people go to wind down?  Not many health clubs open, and absolute dick else except ye ole bar.  We congregate in bars with other industry people, get fucked up, and trade war stories.  It is an enviornment that breeds alcoholism like flies.  Add on the insane hours and you get the coke/meth aspect, a constant cycle of ups and downs.  It's loads of fun, really. :\

I know I am only five months into sobriety, but I am grateful every minute of the day for it.  I don't miss the insanity inherent in substance abuse, and feel better than I have since I was 13 years old(when I started using).  My only wish is that AA meetings were held when I get off in my area, that is when I could use a dose of serenity the most.

Keep coming back, it works!!!!

Now that I read this it does make since.  I worked at Pizza Hut on and off for 2 years while I was in college.  During the summers and holidays and so forth.  Because the managers wanted their trustworthy and hard working employees there to close the restaurant I was always there until 12 or 1:00am.  I was so wound up that I wanted to go do something fun.  I can totally see how hanging out at the bars after closing would be the best option.  This was never a temptation for me since I don't really drink and the town that I worked was in a dry county.  No bars.  No problem.  I'd just go home and watch TV for a while and go to bed. 

Hey man.  Great job with staying sober but can you give up the bacon.   :eek
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »

Thanks bud.  When I first got out of the hospital, the doc said I had to adopt a fat-free protein diet.   That lasted two weeks. :lol

Fortunatly not drinking was enough to get my blood levels back to normal after five months.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »

Thanks bud.  When I first got out of the hospital, the doc said I had to adopt a fat-free protein diet.   

I remember when that happened.... I felt so bad for you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 07:51:29 AM »

Thanks bud.  When I first got out of the hospital, the doc said I had to adopt a fat-free protein diet.   

I remember when that happened.... I felt so bad for you.

On my last blood exams, she wanted me to lay off cheese.  The words "fuck that" spilled out of my mouth before I could stop them. :lol

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »
On my last blood exams, she wanted me to lay off cheese.  The words "fuck that" spilled out of my mouth before I could stop them. :lol

Slightly off topic, but I had an appendectomy a few years ago. A doctor had to check my ass to make sure there wasn't any blockage. SOOOOOOOOOO, when I was being wheeled to the surgery room, the nurse said "Is it okay if we use x, y, and z drugs?" "Look lady, I've already had a guy's finger in my asshole, I don't give a shit what else you do" came out before I could stop them too

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »

Slightly off topic, but I had an appendectomy a few years ago. A doctor had to check my ass to make sure there wasn't any blockage. SOOOOOOOOOO, when I was being wheeled to the surgery room, the nurse said "Is it okay if we use x, y, and z drugs?" "Look lady, I've already had a guy's finger in my asshole, I don't give a shit what else you do" came out before I could stop them too

:lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:08 AM »
 :lol :lol

:rollin

Yeah, there's no way I could stop eating cheese. EVER.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
I was weak today. I drank to much beer and ended up soming a couple of cigarretes.  :'(
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »
:lol :lol

:rollin

Yeah, there's no way I could stop eating cheese. EVER.

Same here. My grandpa runs a small cheese factory so it's in my blood goddamnit
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:50 PM »
In all seriousness, I am addicted to food, and more junk food than anything else. Recently, I downed a whole bottle of wine, 10 cheese sticks, two hot pockets, 15 pizza rolls, some mac and cheese, and 4 twix bars in about 20 minutes.

Luckily that was a treat to myself (big treat, I know) due to being done with the intensity of my schoolwork (just coasting along now). I'm aiming to get back on track since food can be a struggle for me. I subscribe to the Primal diet/lifestyle, as it actually gives me results if I fucking stick to it.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Definitely addicted to caffeine, I feel like shit if I don't have it every day. Not in any hurry to stop, though, because even if I get past the withdrawal I will still have the issue of being tired all the time.

I smoke up once or twice a week, I wouldn't really consider it an addiction. I have friends who spend their whole days high, and I'm definitely nowhere near that level.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
This thread inspired. Last Thursday night, on my way home from school, I finished a can of Skoal. I haven't bought one since then. The weekend wasn't too hard, but I'm struggling right now. Tuesdays and Thursdays I am on campus for a minimum of 12 hours, a good 4-5 hour chunk of that in the library straight. I want to pack a lip so bad right now and can't. I kind of feel on edge, like there is a something missing. I don't feel a withdrawl kind of feeling, just a somethings not right kind of feeling. It's similar to how I feel when I know I forgot something at home and can't think of what it is. I'm going to fight it though.

Why can't I just get somthing that packs well, burns like hell, requires me to spit, and lasts for over an hour?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
It's like losing internet after being on it so much every day. That happened a few years ago and I actually got depressed. If that were to happen now, yeah, I have my phone, but I would be alright.

You got this chino.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
Hi all! Me I have my addictions as well. I just recently was in rehab for 6.5 months because of them. I hope all of you are able to break free of them. I didn't give up the Dew though or the Reese's cups.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Definitely addicted to caffeine, I feel like shit if I don't have it every day. Not in any hurry to stop, though, because even if I get past the withdrawal I will still have the issue of being tired all the time.

Me too.  And since my caffeine intake is much higher M-F than it is on the weekend, I usually have a raging headache on Sunday.  The worst part is the caffeine is one of the biggest causes of gout flare-ups, so if I lay of the caffeine my head hurts, and if I take caffeine I'm speeding towards a gout flare-up.  The former is intellectually debilitating and the latter is physically debilitating.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »
posted this in the what are you currently reading thread , but figured it would fit in here as well

We All Fall Down...Nic Sheff

Just finished this book...real tough read for me as someone in recovery from an addiction..this book hit home on so many levels...made me very edgy as I was able to relate to alot of the lies and pain the writer was going through in writing the book

Would definately recommend to anyone who is going through the recovery process or anyone who knows someone who is in recovery, will definately give you a perspective of an addict/abuser

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
Hi all! Me I have my addictions as well. I just recently was in rehab for 6.5 months because of them. I hope all of you are able to break free of them. I didn't give up the Dew though or the Reese's cups.

Ice tea and Sprite have been my best friends since I quit. Oh, and welcome to DTF, have some bacon...  :godisgood:

Wkiml, I will check that book out, thanks.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

Ice tea and Sprite have been my best friends since I quit. Oh, and welcome to DTF, have some bacon...  :godisgood:

Wkiml, I will check that book out, thanks.

Lonestar...this is his second book...his first was called Tweak which is about his addiction at the same time his father wrote a book called "Beautiful Boy" about the pain and suffering a parent feels while dealing with an addict child

This book was about his recovery process and a major relapse he went through

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »

Just giving you some love, Akasha  :heart

Offline Ħ

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
The internet.  Just wasting time here, listening to music, watching pointless TV shows...I'm not good at being online for just 10 minutes or whatever like normal people.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
music

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
music

I suppose I could say this about myself as well!

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 03:44:35 AM »
I want to quit smoking. A few months ago I stopped for about 2 weeks and didn't go through any noticeable withdrawal symptoms so I'm hoping it'll be easy for me. The problem is that I really fucking love smoking, I just don't like what it's doing to me as I'm noticing shortness of breath, a slight yellowing of the teeth and the other typical symptoms. I've had the luck of not being able to smoke at home or in the car, but when I visit friends and stuff I'll go through a pack in a few hours. been visiting my buds almost every day recently so that's like a pack a day for the past week.
I've quit taking all the shit I used to take except drinking so fuck if I can't quit this.
and I also just bought an electronic one that I actually enjoy more than the "analog" smokes.

and I'll make it a habit to post in this thread if I ever slip up, as I'm hoping the shame of posting "i just fucking failed and had a smoke" every 10 minutes will help me stop.

(sorry for the overly long and somewhat poorly written post. I just had like 2 fatass energy drinks)
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 03:53:27 AM »
Chocolate. Godamn, I hate my life...  :facepalm:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2011, 04:12:59 AM »
I want to quit smoking. A few months ago I stopped for about 2 weeks and didn't go through any noticeable withdrawal symptoms so I'm hoping it'll be easy for me. The problem is that I really fucking love smoking, I just don't like what it's doing to me as I'm noticing shortness of breath, a slight yellowing of the teeth and the other typical symptoms. I've had the luck of not being able to smoke at home or in the car, but when I visit friends and stuff I'll go through a pack in a few hours. been visiting my buds almost every day recently so that's like a pack a day for the past week.
I've quit taking all the shit I used to take except drinking so fuck if I can't quit this.
and I also just bought an electronic one that I actually enjoy more than the "analog" smokes.

and I'll make it a habit to post in this thread if I ever slip up, as I'm hoping the shame of posting "i just fucking failed and had a smoke" every 10 minutes will help me stop.

(sorry for the overly long and somewhat poorly written post. I just had like 2 fatass energy drinks)

In order to stop my drinking habits I had to ditch my friends.  I've seen them maybe 4 times since Septemberr 1st. I know that sounds shitty, but it was the only way to get my head on straight.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 04:25:03 AM »
I've never gotten drunk (unless getting buzzed off of a bottle of cough syrup once counts; that was an alright if underwhelming experience). 

I'm intending to go for abstinence, (personal reasons; I have no issue with others' use of controlled substances, though; they get to make their own decisions) however I can't help but feel viewed as some sort of weirdo by my peers for doing so. 

Am I?

(Sometimes, I do consider doing a serving of alcohol or 2 on my 21st birthday to claim to have drunk, though it isn't something I'd want to do without really factoring in the possible consequences of doing so)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:35:50 AM by MasterShakezula »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 04:39:11 AM »
I've never gotten drunk (unless getting buzzed off of a bottle of cough syrup once counts; that was an alright if underwhelming experience). 

I'm intending to go for abstinence, (personal reasons; I have no issue with others' use of controlled substances, though; they get to make their own decisions) however I can't help but feel viewed as some sort of weirdo by my peers for doing so. 

Am I?

(Sometimes, I do consider doing a serving of alcohol or 2 on my 21st birthday to claim to have drunk, though it isn't something I'd want to do without really factoring in the possible consequences of doing so)

i personally can not think of a single reason to not be drunk whenever possible but to each his own

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 05:09:40 AM »
Being drunk is overrated, and hangovers are the worst. I hardly feel compelled to drink at all anymore, to be honest. Life's just better without it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:30:46 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:25 AM »
Being drunk is overrated, and hangovers are the worse. I hardly feel compelled to drink at all anymore, to be honest. Life's just better without it.

I agree with this statement but nonetheless I would recommend Cup that you get drunk at least 1 time and get really drunk so when you wake up the next morning you have a fucked up hangover. That way you will have the experience of being drunk but will never want to do it again.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »

In order to stop my drinking habits I had to ditch my friends.  I've seen them maybe 4 times since Septemberr 1st. I know that sounds shitty, but it was the only way to get my head on straight.

Chino  this is the first thing they teach you in a recovery program

People.....Poeple you associated with while drinking
Places...bars, parties etc
Things.....Things you associated with drinking

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
Hangovers can be avoided if you drink water. I never get hangovers

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »

Chino  this is the first thing they teach you in a recovery program

People.....Poeple you associated with while drinking
Places...bars, parties etc
Things.....Things you associated with drinking
Yeah, I just had my drinking buddies meet me on a sober basis.  Most had no problem complying with it.  As far as sober places, they don't exist in my life.  I work in a restaurant, and my roommate is still an active alcoholic, though he is trying to quit too.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Hangovers can be avoided if you drink water. I never get hangovers

I am proof that this does not work.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT