Author Topic: The addictions thread  (Read 65173 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
The addictions thread
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:36 AM »
Hey, I searched and was not able to find any thread about this.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to share our expiriences and help other people that are trying to quit something.

I myself stopped smoking about a week ago and am having a hard time keeping up with it. This is the forth time I'm trying to quit the freaking cigarette. The first time I lasted 3 months, the other two I lasted 6 months but I always end up coming back and I'm hoping this is the deffinitive one.

Anyone has gone through it and has good advice?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The addictions thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
There are a couple of guys who have, maybe they'll check in here.  I personally still smoke two packs a day, and have no desire to quit any time soon.  As for other addictions, I am quite experienced.  I am currently in alcoholic recovery(over 5 months and counting), and kicked a nasty drug habit about eight years ago.  Anyone looking for help in either area, please PM me, I have plenty of advice to give.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »
I smoked a pack a day for 2 years or so. Some say that isn't enough time to build up an addiction to the level is hard to quit, but I beg to differ. I "stopped" smoking about 10 months ago. Since January I have bought 5 or 6 packs, three of which were for one weekend of camping in August. I haven't bought a pack since then. I still have a cig here or there when I am with my friends and they offer me one. I have however been dipping skoal for a year and half now or so, and I find that way harder to quit than smoking. The fact that I can do it anywhere makes it really hard to stop. I can be at work, in the library, or just chilling in my room, the fact that I don't have to go outside makes it difficult.

I had an alcohol issue for a while post fall. I wasn't at the point where I would day drink, I was drinking 4-6 nights a week, but when I mean drink I mean all out. I would kill a 6 pack in half hour or kill a 750ml of vodka just as a pregame. I haven't quit drinking, I get drunk maybe twice a month now. However, it's no where even close to the level it used to be. I'm a big dude, so I'll still drink 8-10 beers over the course of a few hours, but thats nothing compared to the nights where I would slam down 18 and still want to keep going.

I smoked a lot of pot over the last 6 years. I would go months at a time without ever having a non-stoned moment while awake. It didn't really affect anything other than my wallet. Since school started this September, I've toked maybe a total of 6 times.

So far this semester I have three A's and two A-'s. I have never done that well in school. I wouldn't say it is 100% due to not smoking so much, but it probably helps. I'm not hungover while trying to stay awake in class. I spend at least 40 hours a week in the library, which is something I've never done. I also now have a girlfriend who I started dating in July, and she just gives me an overall postitive attitude toward life... something that I didn't have for the longest time. I don't think my curret success could be attributed to any one thing, I'm sure it's a combination of all these things... I'm liking it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:10:54 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on you Chino, you've been doing awesome. :tup

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »
Cigarettes are still a vice of mine I find I can go weeks at a time without one (when on vacation with my kids) but it helps alleviate the stress of the office (wall street enough said) I am also a recovering addict and will be for life I'm drug free 15 years (had a bad cocaine habit) and alcohol free 2 1/2 years ( I had a week relapse about a year and a half ago that ended with me going back to a detox center) I have learned through outside programs (AA and NA) that one is too many and 1000 is never enough. I know through education , that its a addiction is a disease like any other and that my brain doesn't function like a "normal persons" . Anyone in need of guidance please feel free to either ask here or via PM, its nothing to be embarrassed about and helps us addicts in our own recovery as well.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:41 AM »
I have been cigarette/ smokeless tobacco free for 9+ years. When I turned 26 (turn 36 in January) I realized that I had been reliant on nicotine for 10 years. The bulk of that time it was smokeless tobacco (chew), but I also smoked cigs as well, more socially. I was chewing a 'can' of smokeless tobacco every day and smoking about a pack a day. Just a LOT of nicotine. But, when I turned 26 I just began to really freak myself out about cancer...thinking to myself that I never envisioned having these habits my entire life and now it'd been 10 years. So I picked a date (August 1st 2001) and gave myself from Jan to August to get my last hoorah with nicotine.
  At midinight on August 1st, 2001 I took the chew out of my lip and took one last drag of a smoke.....and that was that. I cold turkeyed that junk and haven't looked back. It's not as if it was a walk in the park, there is certainly some physical addiction to it as all who have been under nicotines spell can attest to, but I personallly believe that the mental addiction and 'habit' is what you or anyone attempting to stop has to overcome. It's getting past the times you are 'used' to having a smoke...after dinner.....drinking with buddies....and so on.
  The cold turkey route worked perfectly with my personalit because that is just the way I am. With most things I do everything full throttle. That is one of the main reasons I stopped drinking as well. I do not have the ability to just have a beer or two with buddies watching the game. Myh personality is as such where I get falling down drunk anytime alcohol touches my lips....there is never enough around to satisgy my taste. Once I was married and then had 3 little guys who count on me, I realized that I could not control my drinking....and in fact am an alcoholic.....so I stopped that as well on June 27th, 2009. I know that specific date only due to the fact it was the day of a golf tournament where I thought it'd be a great idea to drink about 17-18 beers then drive home......and continue to drink (2) bottles of wine. When I woke up in the morning and realized that I had jeopardized the lives of every person I had driven past on the way home and the wellfare of my wife and children...risking them either to have a father who killed himself or was sent to prison for killing someone in a car accident......that was it for my drinking priveledges. And I have to be honest when I say this, I do not miss drinking one little bit.
  I guess my only advice to you can only come from how I experienced it myself, and that was I put everything in perspective. From when I was single and stopped smoking/shewing realizing that those habits WILL assure me health issues later in life...if not cancer then certainly emphazima, high blood pressure....and so on. There is NO ESCAPING the fact that cigarettes and tobacco in general are NO GOOD for you and WILL be the DIRECT cause of some sort of health issue down the road. Not that I am immune from anything from here on out, but I know i've given myself a better shot by being nicotine free.
  The bottom line is that once you reconcile it in your heart and mind that you do want to stop....I believe you have it in you to stop. You just have to let it go and set it straight in your mind and make it a mission to beat it...make it a time for you to prove exactly what you are capable of.
  Best of luck man....I believe and know you can pull it off!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »
First of all congratulations and thanks for the support. The reason I'm trying to quit smoking is that I've been feeling really conscious about cancer and my future lately. It's hard for me not to smoke but usualy I can cope with it by just chewing gum or eating candy. The last 2 times I went back to smoking was because I had stressfull moments that I just couldn't cope with and the only thing I could think of was a cigarette. And that's basically what I'm afraid might happen again. Do you have any good recommendation for what to do in those cases?

Oh, and the next time my birthday comes up I'll try and remember to congratulate you for another year without tobacco.  :)

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:02:06 AM »
I'm addicted to coffee.  Does that fit in to this thread?

lonestar.  What is it about chefs and substance abuse?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline HeAvY-MeTaL-MaN

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
Have been smoking for 12 years :eek Would love to kick the dirty habit, but no matter how much I have tried, I have never been able to succeed. Im too weak willed im afraid and believe it will take something serious to stop me, like a cancer scare or similar
:metal

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
Do you have any good recommendation for what to do in those cases?

I literally used 'scare tactics' on myself. I thought of a soot filled, coal black lung struggling to give me breath....me being immobile and confined to a chair or couch later in life, hooked up to oxygen like my grandmother......me dying of a heart attack in front of my kids on a hike when I was 50.....things like that. Could be construed as a 'sick' thing to do to yourself but it worked for me.
   Then I reminded myself on why I was chosing to stop....for an overall better state of health and creating the opportunity for me to be able to look back one day and say that I 'beat' nicotine, and be able to use that determination and experience to help me overcome other issues life will throw at me.
  You are a lot stronger than that drug wants you to believe.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »

I work in a kitchen and do a lot of catering. It can be very stressful, and personally would use any excuse to get out of the kitchen for a while. Another thing, might not apply to everyone, eating makes me want a cig really bad. I loved smoking after eating large meals or even after a small snack. In the kitchen I work in, I eat stuff all day. This constant eating would give me a constant cig craze.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:25 AM »
I quit smoking weed about 4 years ago. Like Chino I smoked just about every day for 4 years straight, but I never considered it an addiction. I know that's what every addict in denial says, but I quit the first time I tried, quit full-stop and never smoked again. I miss it, but I'm not drawn back to it. It's possible I would have been left with an increased tobacco addiction, but as I never smoked cigarettes that wasn't something that affected me.

Not to sound smug or aloof, but I think the reason I think it was so easy for me was that I genuinely wanted to quit. I had been considering it for some time, then one morning I woke up and said 'today's the day,' and that was that.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »

I work in a kitchen and do a lot of catering. It can be very stressful, and personally would use any excuse to get out of the kitchen for a while. Another thing, might not apply to everyone, eating makes me want a cig really bad. I loved smoking after eating large meals or even after a small snack. In the kitchen I work in, I eat stuff all day. This constant eating would give me a constant cig craze.
From ages of 19-24 I worked primarily in restaurants/Sports Bars. I performed every job title at one time or another. I've been a cook, waiter....floor manager, buss boy, bartender....any and every job that gave me some cash. From my personal experience and witnessing what I've witnessed, the entire restaurant/food industry is ripe with heavy substance/alcohol abuse, and smoking cigs is seemingly a prerequisite to get hired.  It's just the way that industry is. The availability of drugs and alcohol, the environment and culture that it breeds and one who works in it is surrounded by is certainly constured as 'fun' depending on your perception, but it can wear on you big time....it did a number on me for sure.
 Don't interpret that assesment as a 'put down' by any means, I've been there and done that as well. It's just my observation looking back on it. And it wasn't 100% everyone who works in that environment is drinking/drugging and smoking. If I had to put a percentage on it though, from what I witnessed, I'd say it's 85-90% Those of you who have worked or currently work in the food industry, Is that fair to say? I've been out of it for a good 10+ years now....I am assuming that 'culture' still remains the same.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
that I genuinely wanted to quit.

The largest factor in beating nicotine and/or any other addiction IMO. Considering my own 'success' and admitance like this from others who have stopped as well. Just seems to me that once you as an individual truly make up your mind, it's all but over.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »

Not to sound smug or aloof, but I think the reason I think it was so easy for me was that I genuinely wanted to quit. I had been considering it for some time, then one morning I woke up and said 'today's the day,' and that was that.

Its not smug at all, for any addict to quit first and foremost he has to want to quit, for some it takes a health scare, for others its the " I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired"
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »

Its not smug at all, for any addict to quit first and foremost he has to want to quit, for some it takes a health scare, for others its the " I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired"
Yeah I appreciate that, but there are many adiicts who do really want to quit but still aren't able to, and I didn't want to seem to be making myself out to be 'better' than them.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

Many many moons ago, before we met, my wife graduated from New York Restaurant School with honors.  She ended up not really wanting to go into that business because of the stress.  She's done a lot of freelance stuff like weddings, catering, or selling cheesecakes or pastries to make a little extra money.  But mostly I get to enjoy the fruits of her labor.  ;D  But she tells me lots of interesting stories about her chef friends.  I think you have to be a little crazy to be a chef.   :laugh:

Actually, we have a neighbor down the road from us that went to culinary school right out of high school and landed a head chef position at a country club eventually.  She doesn't seem to suffer from the same type of patterns that you see so much with chefs. 

Maybe it's just a stereotype.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »
Good luck all you great people , and keep on fighting what it is that is bringing you down..I'm proud of all of you who fight back and take control

Im going to miss you all..I really enjoyed calling this my home..You all are great..this is best site ever!! its a loss for me.. =Fail

peace
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »

I think you have to be a little crazy to be a chef.   :laugh:

:frank:

It is predominate in the business, no doubt about that.  I think a lot of it is a hereditary trait, the noobs trying to live up to the veterans and all.  A lot has to do with the stress levels, anyone who has done it can agree with me that a high volume kitchen is an intense fucking enviornment.  It's worse as the chef, because you are the liason between the insanity of the kitchen and the insanity of the floor, and you are the one coordinating the two insanities.  It's really fucked up at times.  The one other thing that contributes is that when I get off at 11 at night, where do you think I and other industry people go to wind down?  Not many health clubs open, and absolute dick else except ye ole bar.  We congregate in bars with other industry people, get fucked up, and trade war stories.  It is an enviornment that breeds alcoholism like flies.  Add on the insane hours and you get the coke/meth aspect, a constant cycle of ups and downs.  It's loads of fun, really. :\

I know I am only five months into sobriety, but I am grateful every minute of the day for it.  I don't miss the insanity inherent in substance abuse, and feel better than I have since I was 13 years old(when I started using).  My only wish is that AA meetings were held when I get off in my area, that is when I could use a dose of serenity the most.

Keep coming back, it works!!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »
Hey lonestar, as a guy who has been in and out of recovery for almost 30 years (I had 14 years of sobriety until not too long ago) I just wanted to congratulate you on your success.  Well done, sir.  I know what it takes.   :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
Hey lonestar, as a guy who has been in and out of recovery for almost 30 years (I had 14 years of sobriety until not too long ago) I just wanted to congratulate you on your success.  Well done, sir.  I know what it takes.   :)

Thanks man, it's a shitload of work, a lot more than being a drunk, that's for sure.  I've seen you post about addiction before, I was waiting for you to pop up in this thread.  I appreciate any advice, help, support, whatever.  I'm still fresh to it, and am soaking up experience and info like a sponge.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
i am addicted to sucking cocks

sent from my iPhone

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
I smoke weed, but only once every couple weeks or so, so I'm definitely not addicted.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
I have been a couple months sober from weed. For a time I was smoking with friends and enjoying the company, but that slowly turned into me sitting alone in my room with nothing to do and settling for smoking. When I finally quit, it was tough. I became more irritable, less sympathetic to others, and almost always on my last nerve at the end of the day.

Since then, I've been working out on a regular basis (every night or every other night, depending on the week), My vinyl collection has almost doubled, and my art has improved by leaps and bounds. Lonestar's advice always helps, and sometimes I reread the messages he sent me as comfort food...I'd rather have his bacon though, haha.

All in all, things are looking great.  :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Glad I could help, and like wkiml said, in helping another addict, we are helping ourselves.  It moves us away from the self centered thinking that dominates the addict.  One of the first things I did when getting sober was PM wkiml, because I knew he had done it all ready, and at that point, I was open to anything.  Any understanding voice in the early days is most welcome, and giving it back keeps us on track.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
I've smoked on and off for the last two years, though it's not too much of an addiction for me. I just recently stopped buying packs to save money and I'm fine for the most part.

My drinking, however, is beginning to concern me.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »
I'm not sure what the exact criteria are for being officially addicted, but if people can be addicted to coffee, I guess I must be something like addicted to chocolate. A rare day goes by that I don't eat chocolate in some form, and normally a lot of it.

I quite enjoy smoking, but I once made a rule that I'll never buy a packet of cigarettes. That way, I can never get addicted. So far, I've had no trouble sticking to it. I normally either just buy or bum one or two off people if I go out drinking.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
I used to smoke total of 3 years, not very much only 1 or 2 cigarettes a day max. Slowly got to 2-3 near the end of my smoking days. I somewhat say I quit. I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes since May 09 which is good. I couldn't support it financially because I didn't have a job and I wanted to get in shape. Now I say somewhat because for camping trips a few times a year and special occasions (not that many) I've bummed cigarettes off friends or picked up a Swisher at the gas station. Most recently was last week.

I don't plan on returning to consistent smoking but I don't believe I'll ever fully quit. Part of me misses going out late at night and enjoying a nice smoke break, just me, my cigarette, and the world. The rationale is nothing wrong with enjoying one every once a while.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »
I smoke sometimes and am sort of psychologically addicted but can still (truly) stop whenever I want to. Sometimes I buy them and sometimes I am totally grossed out by them. I drink a decent amount but that's because it's my duty as someone who lives in Colorado. The only thing I'm REALLY addicted to is sugar. I have a serious problem with sugar.

Oh, and fucking.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:27 AM »
Probably the internet. I say probably because I can, and do, go through long stretches of time where I don't care about it at all. But, for the sake of my study, I need to spend most of the day in front of a computer. I have serious issues not letting my mouse wander to reddit, facebook, this website, and so on.

I'd say web-surfing seriously interferes with my productivity at least 1, and sometimes 2, week days per week. The other 3-4 days I'm usually able to buckle down and really get some work down. Oddly, on weekends when I ideally should be doing all that web-surfing, I tend to avoid the internet for more meaningful life experiences.

Again, it's something I'm trying to quell as a student. The last thing I want is to become one of those guys who clocks into work at 9 and browses the web straight until it's time to come home (only doing the bare minimum of work when it must be done), and then goes home to hop right back on the net. So I'm trying to limit myself now, while I'm still a student. So far, I'm doing an okay job at it...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:11:32 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 04:22:26 AM »
The last thing I want is to become one of those guys who clocks into work at 9 and browses the web straight until it's time to come home (only doing the bare minimum of work when it must be done)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 06:26:41 AM »
I'm addicted to eating out, I love going out to eat. I would be in amazing shape if I didn't go out all the time, if I didn't work out all the time I would look like a mess.

I think it stems from me not wanting to eat alone and wanting to get out of the house.

As for drugs I don't really have a problem, I've smoked pot and stopped whenever I liked, same with alcohol, and cigarettes.  Actually I always immediately regret smoking the morning after but I like to do it in a social environment at times.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:26 AM »
Luckily I don't smoke, never drink (or well, on VERY rare occasions perhaps) and don't do any other drugs.  :)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
I was a heterosexual sex addict of epic measure for several years. Still nearly twice a week on average I will recall some sexual escapade with some woman I left in my wake that I had forgotten entirely about. It's not a fun thing for me.

I also gave up cigarettes on Mar 16, 2002 in Chicago, Illinois while standing in line at the Vic Theater waiting to get in and see Dream Theater.  :metal I turned to the guy behind me who was smoking at the time, and handed him my very expensive lighter. I took half the cigarettes out of the newly open pack of Marlboro lights (I had taken one out and smoked it) and gave them to the Marlboro Light smoking girl in front of me; and the rest I crushed in my hand and threw away (the symbolic aspect was important to me). I have never looked back.

All of the risky sexual deviance pales in comparison to the regret I have over ever having smoked. Dumbest thing I ever did.

Now I'm the WORST anti-smoking advocate....a former smoker. I LOATHE cigarette smoke. Passionately loathe it, if there is such a thing.

I quit using Zyban. Took the drug for like two weeks, picked a day, and said "Fuck it!" Decided while in line at the Vic that I was forevermore going to be a non-smoker. I still am.

It can be done. Just tell yourself that you're no longer a smoker, and simply stop. Don't tell yourself you're trying to quit. Just do it. It will be the greatest thing you'll ever do for yourself. Good luck!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »

Thanks man, it's a shitload of work, a lot more than being a drunk, that's for sure.  I've seen you post about addiction before, I was waiting for you to pop up in this thread.  I appreciate any advice, help, support, whatever.  I'm still fresh to it, and am soaking up experience and info like a sponge.

The best advice I can give you is avoid complacency in recovery.  The minute you think "I've got this" you're heading in a bad direction.  All any of us have is a day.