Author Topic: Any fans of Orphaned Land out there?  (Read 10105 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Any fans of Orphaned Land out there?
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »
I haven't really been following this release but is the female vocalist on this album, and if she is, is she prominent? I really loved what she added to the music (I only have ORWarriOR).

Offline adace

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
I haven't really been following this release but is the female vocalist on this album, and if she is, is she prominent? I really loved what she added to the music (I only have ORWarriOR).
Unfortunately, Shlomit Levi isn't on this album but the choir and other female vocalist who features on one track (don't know her name) are still pretty good.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »
Unfortunately, Shlomit Levi isn't on this album but the choir and other female vocalist who features on one track (don't know her name) are still pretty good.
Well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the album.

Offline adace

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »
Well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the album.
Absolutely, it's still a phenomenal album. They've really upped their game in terms of the orchestration and folk elements. OL fans won't be disappointed with it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
Lack of growls makes it sound a bit different than previous albums.  I still have to listen to it a bit before I form a solid opinion on it.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »
All Is One is a phenomenal album, best of the year so far in my opinion, followed closely by Queensryche.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
Listens two through four have greatly improved my outlook on the album.  It's very good, but not great.  I may review it for Nick.

Offline adace

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »
I want to get into them and wonder what album to start with. I usually like to start with the earliest album that is already representative for the band overall.
Is Sahara too much Death and too little Prog? Should I start with Mabool instead?
I'm a huge Myrath fan BTW.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »
I want to get into them and wonder what album to start with. I usually like to start with the earliest album that is already representative for the band overall.
Is Sahara too much Death and too little Prog? Should I start with Mabool instead?
I'm a huge Myrath fan BTW.

Since you're a Myrath fan I'd go for All Is One because its melody driven and only has one song with death growls. Its easily the closest to Myrath in my opinion.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 02:40:11 PM »
You got me wrong. When I say Myrath, I mean the real Myrath from the days of Hope and Desert Call, back then they had some growls as well. I still hope that Tales from the Sands is just a phase that will pass.
I actually welcome death growls in prog.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
You got me wrong. When I say Myrath, I mean the real Myrath from the days of Hope and Desert Call, back then they had some growls as well. I still hope that Tales from the Sands is just a phase that will pass.
I actually welcome death growls in prog.

Desert Call is my favorite Myrath album by a mile, listened to it way more than their other albums and can't recall any death growls on it at all. In fact I'd liken Desert Call to Tales more that anything else.

So since you like the growls just get anything releases before All Is One.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
You're getting some bad advice here.  When it comes to "Which album should I try first?", the answer is always Mabool.  End of discussion.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
 :rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I'd check out the music through streaming first, it's a good way to find out which albums should be bought. Personally I really dig All Is One, but don't have any other of their records. I can't stand noise in music (growling = noise no matter if you actually like it or not). I like AIO because of the melodic and middle eastern content.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
You're getting some bad advice here.  When it comes to "Which album should I try first?", the answer is always Mabool.  End of discussion.

I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
bump.

some disappointing news, Guitarist/Main Songwriter and founding member Yossi Sassi has decided to leave the band. 

However, his upcoming solo album "Desert Butterflies"  may be well worth checking out when it's released.

https://www.blabbermouth.n...ossi-sassi-quits-band/

Guitarist Yossi Sassi, founding member and main composer of Israel-based oriental folk metallers ORPHANED LAND, has announced his departure from the band.

In a statement, he said: "I never thought that someday I'll write these words… yet if there's something stronger than our past — it is our future, and our dreams, as we evolve and understand what is right for us in the path ahead.

"You know I always strive to be creative, innovative, compose the next authentic thing, and devoted my life to fuse and mix together the East and West, acoustic with electric, rock with folk traditional music, all with authenticity and full heart. 

"Books could be written from the what I've done for and gone through since founding ORPHANED LAND (initially named RESURRECTION in 1991), from every fan mail in the early '90s, through signing the first deal with Holy Records, endorsements, budgeting, website development, pledging... the list goes on and on. Above all, I'm proud most of my vast compositions, arrangements, production and musical boundaries explored.

"ORPHANED LAND has been a dream turned into reality with tremendous hard work and accomplishments. It is my life's work, spanning over more than 22 years as a founding member, composer, producer and many other roles. But mainly being 'the heart' I always believed ORPHANED LAND should reflect through.

"I feel that now, from all the right reasons that I can and cannot change, the time has come for new dreams.

"The first dream is on its way already. The new album I'm working on these days will be called 'Desert Butterflies', a conceptual piece, rich and diverse, continued to my debut solo release, 'Melting Clocks', and the 'oriental rock' genre I've been pioneering and redefining. It includes musical collaborations with Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal (GUNS N' ROSES), Marty Friedman (MEGADETH), Mariangela Demurtas (TRISTANIA) and more. it'll be worth the wait.

"I'm never leaving you.

"I'm not closing the door, not on ORPHANED LAND members, and certainly not on YOU, my beloved and loyal fans, friends and followers.

"The best is yet to come... I guarantee it to you, personally."

ORPHANED LAND's sixth full-length album, "All Is One", was released in North America on June 25, 2013 (one day earlier internationally) via Century Media Records. The cover artwork for the follow-up to 2010's "The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR" was created by the French artist Metastazis (PARADISE LOST, AS I LAY DYING, SONNE ADAM, WATAIN) by perfectly incorporating the three biggest religious symbols into one piece of art.

"All Is One" was made available as a limited deluxe book edition, including three bonus songs and a bonus DVD, as well as limited double gatefold LP, including the three bonus songs and in different vinyl colors. A standard jewelcase CD format and digital download is also available.

The limited-edition version of "All Is One" contains a very special bonus DVD with some very exclusive music clips and an interesting documentary about the genesis and recording of the album.

ORPHANED LAND's new effort was the band's first to feature guitarist Chen Balbus following the departure of Matty Svatizky in June 2012 due to "personal" and "professional" issues.

"All Is One" was mixed by Jens Bogren (JAMES LABRIE, DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, OPETH) and was recorded in three different countries: Israel, Turkey and Sweden. Ironically, these countries are Jewish, Muslim and Christian, respectively, which strengthens the ORPHANED LAND message of unity through music. Over 40 musicians were used to flesh out the sound of "All Is One", including 25 choir singers and eight classical violin, viola and cello players from Turkey.

ORPHANED LAND's concert DVD, "The Road To OR-Shalem", was released in October 2011 in Europe and November 2011 in the U.S. via Century Media Records.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:11 AM »
Just wondering if anyone also likes this band in this forum. I'm sure they would get appreciation here. If you know them, great. If you don't, check 'em out!

All I've heard is "All Is One". But I thought that album was really progressive.... as in moving music forward. When I'm in the mode for some Oriental Metal, I play these guys along with Myrath and Amaseffer.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
Our new interview with Orphaned Land vocalist it's published:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/orphaned-land-vocalist-kobi-farhi-talks-about-the-new-band-upcoming-album-and-many-more

Don't miss this interview, guys...the interviewer is an esteemed member of DTF. ;D

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
Our new interview with Orphaned Land vocalist it's published:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/orphaned-land-vocalist-kobi-farhi-talks-about-the-new-band-upcoming-album-and-many-more

Nice Interview! I enjoyed it! I wasn't aware of the new single, so now I'm really looking forward to the new album!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »
I've heard preliminary reports from friends who have scored promo copies of the album, and they're talking early AOTY contender. Based on the two singles, it's hard to disagree, can't wait for this one to come out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »
I like them when they give the growls a miss.
The Ritchie Blackmore fan in me loves the middle eastern stuff.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »
I like them when they give the growls a miss.
The Ritchie Blackmore fan in me loves the middle eastern stuff.

Then you're going to love the new album!!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 04:34:40 PM »
The recent singles and samples sounded really ace. I like some of their older material, but from what I have heard so far this may be far more up to my alley.  Also some very cool guest stars. Hansi fit their song greatly.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
He did indeed! And Steve Hackett's solo is great too.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:20 PM »
Just listened to the two singles, and I gotta say I'm pumped for this album. Like Orpheus is probably the better of the two, and it's such a consistently good song. We Do Not Resist isn't quite as good imo (there were a few moments that irked me a bit), but some of the word painting is cool and I like some of the lyrics.

In general, Orphaned Land is a band I deeply respect for continuing to bridge the gap between Jews and Muslims and striving for peace between them. I don't usually focus on lyrics, but Orphaned Land is one of those bands that I respect a lot because of the lyrics (and the music too, of course). I think my favorite song from them has to be Brother because...dang. That's an emotionally heavy song. It makes me feel things.

And here are the two new songs since they haven't been linked yet:

Like Orpheus
We Do Not Resist

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:32 AM »
I've heard preliminary reports from friends who have scored promo copies of the album, and they're talking early AOTY contender. Based on the two singles, it's hard to disagree, can't wait for this one to come out.

Definitely a great contender for AOTY. This release it’s their most mature released, and the production it’s top notch.

Offline majo

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
Just listened to the two singles, and I gotta say I'm pumped for this album. Like Orpheus is probably the better of the two, and it's such a consistently good song. We Do Not Resist isn't quite as good imo (there were a few moments that irked me a bit), but some of the word painting is cool and I like some of the lyrics.

In general, Orphaned Land is a band I deeply respect for continuing to bridge the gap between Jews and Muslims and striving for peace between them. I don't usually focus on lyrics, but Orphaned Land is one of those bands that I respect a lot because of the lyrics (and the music too, of course). I think my favorite song from them has to be Brother because...dang. That's an emotionally heavy song. It makes me feel things.

And here are the two new songs since they haven't been linked yet:

Like Orpheus
We Do Not Resist
Love OL and those singles are amazing... Oh, and Hansi is there too  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
My first full listen impression is really good. I love the sound production as well.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
Check out this song with Mr. Steve Hackett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks52bFQKIDo

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »
Wow, that first track is unbelievably good. I'll get to the rest of it after work

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
I think I got sent an Orphaned Land in my roulette?

I just gave the new album a listen and of the 3 albums I've heard, that were released this year, it's easily the best. I already dig bands like Myrath (and these guys sound very similar) so I could see me liking this. I'll be giving it another spin soon.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
I listened the new álbum once yesterday, i already liked 3 or 4 songs. The first song is great. I think I'm gonna love this album, "All is one" is one of my favorite albums.