Author Topic: Any fans of Orphaned Land out there?  (Read 10608 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: Any fans of Orphaned Land out there?
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
Long time fan here who loves Mabool and my initial impressions are less positive. Not sure the band still works for me without Yossi, but I'll give the album some more spins.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
Yep, first listen a couple hours ago and it's really good! This was also my first 2018 album listen so far so can't really compare it to anything, but that first listen was really promising. The opener, Left Behind, My Brother's Keeper and All Knowing Eye were my early standouts.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
Chains Fall to Gravity was probably my favourite on first listen. I listened on Spotify earlier, did it beep out swear words (I assume) for anyone else?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
I'm checking the new one out now on Spotify. I've tried OL before, and they didn't really do it for me.

This was also my first 2018 album listen

I just sent you some 2018.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
Got through the OL today. Lots to like about it, but in the end they're a just miss for me. I am really not into the Middle Eastern flavorings in their music. I find it totally distracting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:10 PM »
Chains Fall to Gravity was probably my favourite on first listen. I listened on Spotify earlier, did it beep out swear words (I assume) for anyone else?

From what I heard (I haven't listened to the physical disc yet) is that the band bleeped out the swear words throughout the album to protest government censorship. Granted this was from a friend on FB, but he's usually pretty spot on with this type of stuff.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »

From what I heard (I haven't listened to the physical disc yet) is that the band bleeped out the swear words throughout the album to protest government censorship. Granted this was from a friend on FB, but he's usually pretty spot on with this type of stuff.

They also censored the words in the booklet with a black “marker”

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2018, 07:49:59 PM »
another interview with Kobi.

he makes some good comparison and explains a lot more about the new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiC6FFYigI

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
Late thoughts after first listen: this album is good. Not great, but good. The music is phenomenal (some of the best they've written), and how it transitions from the Arabic strings to metal in a lot of songs is really cool. The arrangement's also gotten more complex and interesting, which is also a plus. The rhythm guitar work in particular was a highlight for me. But the album's not without its flaws, and three things that really stood out as really glaring were the censored swears (which were a little distracting, but I guess it fits into the whole anti-totalitarianism/censorship thing they had going), the harsh vocals (didn't care for those, but I could tolerate them at times), and some of the lyrics. Like, I get the message of the album and I like and agree with it as a whole, but there are some lyric choices that make me cringe so hard. It's not so much that there are unfortunate implications in the lyrics or it missed the mark with the message, but there's certain technical things that just irk me.

Side note: that guillotine/execution ending is literally one of the most brutal things I've heard. That really caught me off guard. One of the highlights of the album for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
I've never listened to Orphaned Land but I ordered the new album yesterday and it's out for delivery. Will be listening tonight. I have no idea what I'm in for other than a friend comparing them to Myrath (of whom I only know one album). Looking forward to it.

EDIT: This is amazing. Simply amazing. You know what I really like about this... the epic choir moments remind me of Epica, except they aren't overused and make every single song of theirs sound the same. This is some incredible symphonic, prog, folk... whatever the hell you want to call it metal, it is some fascinating, beautiful music!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:14:05 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2018, 01:06:40 AM »
Just got back from their show opening for Tyr. Goddamn are they tremendous live, such a tight band with a captivating stage presence. The new songs they played sounded soooooo good, especially the Cave, they leveled the crowd with that one. Was really cool to see a viking metal pro-Tyr crowd really get won over by Orphaned Land, I swear it took Tyr a few tracks to get the crowd going again.

If you're on the tail end of this tour, don't miss it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
Yeah, had a similar experience with them opening for Blind Guardian (except that the crowd did not slow down for BG), they were an awesome opener and I'd definitely consider attending a headliner show, especially since their newest album is ace.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »
Just saw them last week.  Had never heard of them let alone listened to them.  I was blown away.  I was actually blown away by the whole lineup.  It was one of those perfect shows where every band just fits perfectly.  In a way it was like the United Nations of metal.  After loving Ghost Ship Octavius and then Aeturnum, I was not even interested in Orphaned Land because whoever they were probably couldn't top the first two.  I was busy buying merch when they went on and didn't even pay attention to the first song or two and then when I finally zoned in I was blown away.  Thank god they accept credit cards at merch tables now.  I have never spent so much on merch at a show.

Just got their latest in the mail.  It's going to be hard catching up on all the music I've got to listen to.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »
Just saw them last week.  Had never heard of them let alone listened to them.  I was blown away.  I was actually blown away by the whole lineup.  It was one of those perfect shows where every band just fits perfectly.  In a way it was like the United Nations of metal.  After loving Ghost Ship Octavius and then Aeturnum, I was not even interested in Orphaned Land because whoever they were probably couldn't top the first two.  I was busy buying merch when they went on and didn't even pay attention to the first song or two and then when I finally zoned in I was blown away.  Thank god they accept credit cards at merch tables now.  I have never spent so much on merch at a show.

Just got their latest in the mail.  It's going to be hard catching up on all the music I've got to listen to.

I had the same AWESOME problem a few months ago. Mabool and All Is One are my favourite in their discography. Kobi has a hypnotizing stage presence, the bass sounds loud and clear, and the solos are simply razor-sharp throughout their set. Until last December I had no idea they even existed, but when I was offered the chance to interview Kobi I went through their back catalogue. Totally worth it. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »
I was floored by Aeternam, and have been spinning their latest album all morning. Ghost Ship were solid, but had some major technical issues which hampered the experience (drummer blew out his kick drum, and fixed it mid show with gaffers tape. Tyr were enjoyable, but that brand of metal wears thin with me.

Here's me post show with the bassist, had a nice little chat with him, solid as fuck dude...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »
I was floored by Aeternam, and have been spinning their latest album all morning. Ghost Ship were solid, but had some major technical issues which hampered the experience (drummer blew out his kick drum, and fixed it mid show with gaffers tape. Tyr were enjoyable, but that brand of metal wears thin with me.

Here's me post show with the bassist, had a nice little chat with him, solid as fuck dude...

The level of energy on the Aeternam set when I saw them was off the charts!!!! I had no idea what to expect, but at the end of the show I was asking myself "what the hell did I just watch!?!?!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2018, 06:38:48 PM »
Traveling out of town now. Had the chance to listened to Unsung Heroes and also Sahara in my car. Man, Orphaned Land is killer.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »
So apparently some years ago I listened to a snippet of an Orphaned Land song....for obvious reasons, and just didn't like it. At all. So I just avoided or ignored them for years and years.

Until this year.

Now I want to go back and punch younger me in the face for being such an idiot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 10:09:22 PM »
Seriously man, especially since you lived in Israel all that time and could've gotten the full Orphaned Land show, and not just the main band with backing tracks we get in the states.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 10:29:46 PM »
Seriously man, especially since you lived in Israel all that time and could've gotten the full Orphaned Land show, and not just the main band with backing tracks we get in the states.

You wanna get in line and punch younger me? Feel free.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2018, 12:59:37 AM »

Isn't that going against everything Orphaned Land stands for?  Some fan you are. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »

I think you're more than capable of beating yourself up adequately, I remember your apologies when you came to my restaurant. Seems to be a special talent with you  :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:30 AM »
 :hefdaddyORPHANED LAND – Announce Live Stream For April 28th
To celebrate their 30 year anniversary Israeli Metal quintet Orphaned Land have just announced a live stream for April 28th on their Patreon page (https://www.patreon.com/orphanedland?fbclid=IwAR0pC8laSJTZOzRnI_HWfKmltgbKZnEq6cTXmMxsCc3FngWIIn1-Jt7GOhU ). See schedule and times below:

9 PM Israel Time (11 AM PT, 8 PM CET) - Doors open and backstage view

9:20 PM Israel Time (11:20 AM PT, 8:20 PM CET) - Opening act & backstage view

10 PM Israel Time (12 PM PT, 9 PM CET) - Orphaned Land on stage

Singer Kobi Farhi checked in with the following comment:

“This is our first show after 15 months of nothing, happy that people from all over the globe are joining us in Tel Aviv for this long awaited show! This is the 30th anniversary year of the band and a very special concert is going to happen also in June."

Orphaned Land released their last studio album “Unsung Prophets And Dead Messiahs” in 2018.Get your copy HERE https://orphanedland.lnk.to/UnsungProphetsAndDeadMessiahs

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
I like this band, but I very strongly prefer their newest album with the least amount of growling on it.  It's unfortunate because musically I find all of their albums to be brilliant but those growling vocals are just  :|  for me personally.  I know some people dig that stuff, but it's a massive turnoff for me.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »
I really love their last two albums, their last album is one of my all-time favorite albums. Too bad I just heard about this streaming, It would had been nice to watch it.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2024, 01:21:18 AM »
I feel stupid for disliking the latest album at release. The live rendtitions on the recent DVD gave me a new perspective on the material. What a great album :hefdaddy

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2024, 09:30:51 AM »
I got the boxset. Speculatively, coz I’d only heard a couple of things.

It’s good, but maybe I need time to let the tunes bed in a little