Poll

Who is your favourite out of these two bands? Mine is Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Can't decide

Author Topic: Iron Maiden vs Metallica  (Read 15824 times)

Offline 7thHanyou

Re: Iron Maiden vs Metallica
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »
Maiden, no contest.

I love Ride the Lightning more than a good chunk of Maiden's albums, and of course their other three albums from their "golden era" are great.

But frankly, even Maiden's allegedly worst albums contain some great songs, and their allegedly worst moments--"The Angel and the Gambler" among them--have a certain draw to them.  I can't quite put it into words, but there is something damn special about their music, something that strikes me as meaningful and personal.  No, that's not objective, but if they're getting an emotional response from me, they must be doing something right.

Also, I know this is controversial, but Number of the Beast and A Matter of Life and Death are actually among of my LEAST favorite Maiden albums, and The Final Frontier, in addition to being my favorite reunion albums, is easily in my top five Maiden albums overall.  I love The X Factor too, though my favorites are easily Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time.

The Number of the Beast was a good introduction for Bruce, but Run to the Hills, for example, has never been all that interesting to me.  While there aren't many bad songs on the album, the only two phenomenal ones are TNotB and Hallowed Be Thy Name.  Mind you, the latter is amazing, but that doesn't mean the whole album is.

Whatever.  It's still a great album, and even my two least favorites (NPftD and FotD) have their moments.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
Never got the love for SiT.   I mean, it really has some brilliant moments to be sure.    But following up the previous 5 albums was just damn near impossible.   They had just got better and better with every release.   

In retrospect, I like it alot more than when it came out.   The title track, SiaSL, SoM, were always standouts to me.   Wasted Years is pretty good.  Didn't like HCW or LotLDR when I first heard them, but they've grown on me and I like them alot better now.  Deja Vu is really cool, but just kinda there...kindof like QFF from PoM.   And Alexander the Great is just a really boring and anti-climactic end to an album.   Probably one of my least favorite album closers in the IM catalog. 

I'm glad people like it, but when you discovered them on NotB, and rode the wave straight through to Powerslave....SiT just seemed a bit of a letdown.   I like SSoaSS quite a bit better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2011, 04:42:02 AM »
The instrumental section in AtG is badass and the song isn't boring at all. No soup for you.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
Hmmm..... Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden....

I like Number Of The Beast quite a bit, which has a lion's share of excellent and fun songs. I like specific songs on Powerslave and Somewhere In Time, and rank them as some of the most definitive metal songs I've ever heard. I generally never skip a song of theirs when it comes up on my playlist, and I really need to listen to them more.

That said, Metallica by a mile. I love the fact that they consistently try new things. Lulu and St. Anger really weren't successful, but I love both Loads, and they really haven't repeated themselves at all since the 80s (Death Magnetic sounds much more experimental to my ears than any of their first four albums).

I like Iron Maiden too, but I definitely agree with the opinion I've seen elsewhere that all their songs sound the same after awhile. Then again, I have that complaint about a lot of metal.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »
Iron Maiden by a long shot.
Album Powerslave easily beats anything Metallica have ever done.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
Since someone resurrected this...

It's Maiden by a mile.  For starters, it's been more than a quarter century since Metallica did anything that I thought was worth a damn.  Even if you consider only the 1980s, Metallica had two great albums, only really good album and one album that's good but has a couple great songs.  Kill 'Em All has never quite clicked for me.  Four Horsemen and Seek and Destroy are great songs, but the rest of the album is a bit hit or miss.  It's definitely a strong debut album.  Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are great albums, but both have clear weak spots.  Justice should be great, but the bass-free mix ruins it, and some of the songs are in desperate need of a stronger producer's influence.

Maiden, on the other hand, not only put out nearly twice as many albums (which isn't really a fair point since they had a three year head start), but the overall quality is higher by leaps and bounds.  SSoaSS is probably the weakest of the bunch, but the title track is one of the best songs Maiden ever did.  Somewhere in Time is good but not great.  The first three Dickinson albums are probably all top 20 albums of the 80s, and probably two of them are top 10.  The two Di'Anno albums are a bit hit or miss.  I'm not as much into Killers as a lot of people are, but songs like Wratchild and Murders in the Rue Morgue are exceptional.  The debut album also has a few great songs, including the all-time classic Phantom of the Opera.  I didn't hear it until sometime after Piece of Mind was written, so I was already familiar with Steve Harris's playing, but I can only imagine how that song must have come across when it was brand new.  Such mind blowing playing at the time.

Taking the black album and the Blayze Bailey albums (which I've never heard) out of the mix, I'd be heard pressed to think if anything that Metallica has done since the 80s that is better than anything Maiden has done.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »
I really like the song Blood Brothers. A song that suffers more from repetitiveness is "No More Lies", it could have been a pretty great song if it wasn't for that. So that being said, my vote still goes to Iron Maiden all the way!!!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
Iron Maiden have more great albums than Metallica, but Metallica have Master of Puppets, Ride The Lightning and And Justice For All, which are 3 of my favourite albums of all time. So I voted for Metallica. Both fantastic bands though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
I still really can't decide. 

For Metallica, the only music I really care about from them is the run from Ride through the Black album.  But, man, that 4 album run is almost untouchable. 

Maiden wins in quantity in terms of albums I care about (Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave (barely qualifies, but the three songs worth listening to are great), Somewhere in Time, and all five reunion albums).

So it's 9 to 4 in terms of quantity of albums.  And as of right now, I probably prefer to listen to a Maiden album than a Metallica album more often than not.  But I dunno.  There's just something about those Metallica albums that won't let me write them off for Maiden.  I'm still in "can't decide" territory.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
I can't tell if I replied to this before or not, but either way, the answer will be the same:  MAIDEN by a long shot.  I like Metallica - James Hetfield is right now the coolest guy in metal - but Maiden were my first, and that goes a long way. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »
Iron Maiden all day, every day, from here to eternity. To me they are far better in every single way. Maiden is love, Maiden is life.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
Iron Maiden fairly easily, they are my favorite band so there really is no competition.  However, the Metallica run is really tough to beat, but Metallica just doesn't have enough quality compared to IM.  Metallica has 10 albums whereas IM have 16.  Both have their dud albums, but there's still significantly more quality music that came out of IM.  Metallica has made more of an impact to American metal music, but it's not enough for me to rate them higher either.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »
I can’t decide. Metallica holds a special place in my heart as they were the first metal band I got into, and man did I get into them. I started playing drums in high school and my friend (who played guitar) and I would play Metallica all the time. I don’t think there was a song from their first four albums that’s we didn’t play.  With that said I think Maiden is better musically, and their lead guitars/solos are so much more enjoyable than Metallica’s. I find that I listen to Maiden more these days, but I think at least part of that is because I listened to Metallica so much when I was younger.  Basically I love both bands and I just can’t pick between them and I absolutely love the latest releases by both bands.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »
While Maiden is far more consistent (And they don't have a St. Anger or a Lulu in their discography), I like my favorite works of Metallica a lot more than my favorite works of Maiden. So I guess 'Tallica gets the edge.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
Metallica all day, every day, from here to eternity. To me they are far better in every single way. Metallica is love, Metallica is life.

Fixed.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2018, 04:03:30 AM »
Metallica by far.

I like Maiden's hits and I've tried to listen to their albums, but their stuff is just too samey and repetitive to listen to in the long run. Metallica have put out a few turds, but their best works surpass Maiden's easily, and I respect them for branching out, even if the results aren't always successful. Besides, as a guitar player myself, I'm more drawn to Metallica because they're more of a riff band than a lead band.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »
Iron Maiden in a blowout.

Better albums, better songs. For a longer period of time.

Time was always on their side.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:36 PM »
Metallica
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2018, 06:08:13 PM »
I love Iron Maiden, they [we're blood brothers] are in my top [we're blood brothers] 3 favorite bands, but [we're blood brothers] everyone knows [we're blood brothers] they can tend to be [we're blood brothers] a bit formulaic and [we're blood brothers] repetitive.  They suffer from [we're blood brothers] something I call "That Iron Maiden Thing" that [we're blood brothers] you start to understand [we're blood brothers] when [we're blood brothers] you become a fan [we're blood brothers] of the band.  It's not necessarily [we're blood brothers] something that will [we're blood brothers] make you hate [we're blood brothers] them, but it's definitely [we're blood brothers] been a bit of an issue [we're blood brothers] with them, especially on [we're blood brothers] their "reunion" [we're blood brothers] albums.

Blood Brothers is repeated 20 times (4 per chorus) in the span of 7 minutes. I think this a slight overreaction.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »
I love Iron Maiden, they [we're blood brothers] are in my top [we're blood brothers] 3 favorite bands, but [we're blood brothers] everyone knows [we're blood brothers] they can tend to be [we're blood brothers] a bit formulaic and [we're blood brothers] repetitive.  They suffer from [we're blood brothers] something I call "That Iron Maiden Thing" that [we're blood brothers] you start to understand [we're blood brothers] when [we're blood brothers] you become a fan [we're blood brothers] of the band.  It's not necessarily [we're blood brothers] something that will [we're blood brothers] make you hate [we're blood brothers] them, but it's definitely [we're blood brothers] been a bit of an issue [we're blood brothers] with them, especially on [we're blood brothers] their "reunion" [we're blood brothers] albums.

Blood Brothers is repeated 20 times (4 per chorus) in the span of 7 minutes. I think this a slight overreaction.

Well he only wrote it 18 times, so I'd say it's an underreaction.

I dunno the song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »

Well he only wrote it 18 times, so I'd say it's an underreaction.

I dunno the song.

Yes, but that entire post only took me about 1 minute to read. So if we're going to be technical, the time:repetition ratio is 7x greater in his post than in the actual song.

:dangerwillrobinson:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »
Iron Maiden by far

Offline pg1067

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2018, 11:06:44 AM »

Putting aside the "Blood Brothers" reference, the criticism was well taken.  How many Maiden songs are based on a I-vi-vii or I-vii-vi chord progression with the main rhythm played in an eighth note and two sixteenth note rhythm (i.e., the horse galloping rhythm) or a basic 12/8 rhythm?  If you answered "all of them" (or "all of them on which Steve Harris is the primary writer), you wouldn't be too far off.  It's a formula that has served the band well, but it does get a bit tiresome.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung