Author Topic: What's the point of playing an instrument?  (Read 7294 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: What's the point of playing an instrument?
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:48 AM »
Has it occurred to you that nobody might want to jam with you unless you know what you're doing on your instrument, which is usually achieved by practicing alone at home?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
As a musician(singer) I can tell you, you have not lived until you stand on a stage in front of 1000 people and some girls comes up on stage and grabs your ass, only to be hit in the head with a bottle by my at the time girlfriend. True story. Good times!
Why would you want to miss out on life's great moments Andy?

I wouldn't. That's what I mean, enldessly playing an instrument alone that's as far as I'm concerned designed to be played socially is very sad. Getting together to jam is what it's all about to my mind.
Who says it's designed to be played socially? And why? LudwigVan gave a great response, try reading that.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »
When I play guitar, I disappear from this world. All my fears, doubts and insecurities just wash away, and for 45 minutes I am truly happy.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2011, 06:26:47 AM »
Jeez, you're so egotistical.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Playing an instrument by yourself can be pure ego, pure immersion.  When I sit and play the piano by myself, it's the same thing.  While I'm sitting there creating, the world around me may exist, but it means nothing.  It's just me and piano.

What's amazing is that all the music already exists; it's already in the instrument.  All I have to do is press some keys, and it just comes flowing out.  It resounds and surrounds.  I put forth, and am somehow fed by what comes forth. 

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2011, 06:44:05 AM »
Why do I play music? I guess it keeps dementia at bay.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
That weird lovely exhaustion that comes over you after a three hour session sight reading some Chopin.

And to be in with a chance at creating something that can give someone else so much pleasure. I don't know where I'd be without the music I listen to. Dead, probably.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
I was half-expecting him to say "But I can't jam with anyone because everyone at my church hates me."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »
I was half-expecting him to say "But I can't jam with anyone because everyone at my church hates me."
:rollin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »
What difference does it make if you play music or listen to music or a combination of the two?  I used to do both and now I just listen.  Listening to others play music is much more enjoyable than listening to myself play.  Listening to myself is just downright depressing.  I'll never be as good as the musicians I listen to, so what's the point?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
I guess it depends on why you're listening.  Since I do a lot of performing, I watch and listen to recordings of what I've done to get a better idea of how well certain things worked or didn't work.  When you're playing, it's a different point of view.  Yeah, you usually have a pretty good idea how well something worked, but listening to a recording later gives you something much closer to the audience's perspective on what you've done.  It's more objective.

To me, it's much like professional ball players reviewing the game tapes after a game.  Yeah, you know you only got 2 yards on a play that was supposed to make 15, but let's take a look at why.  What else was going on that you didn't take into account, what did you do wrong, and what did you do right?  What other options were available that you might not have noticed at the time?  Every one of those questions also applies to playing live music, especially in a group situation.  If you're listening to your own playing and expect to get the same pleasure out of it that you get from listening to your favorite recording artists, yeah, you're dooming yourself to eternal disappointment and depression.  But if you never review your own work, how can you expect to improve?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
The point of playing an instrument, to me, is for personal gratitude and to get better at it. I play in three bands, of which I consider one to be very serious as well. I do it for fun, for myself and hopefully, sometime, for other people as well. It is a form of relaxation and of meditation, of some sort.

This thread, however, is laughable.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey