Author Topic: What's the point of playing an instrument?  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: What's the point of playing an instrument?
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
Leave it up to Andy to dissect and clinically destroy even the most benign activity.

If you don't like playing alone, join a band. You've heard of those, right?

rumborak
I couldn't get that to work outside of college.

Hundreds of thousands of other people did.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
Dude, there's nothing wrong with being alone. I personally prefer being alone sometimes. People can annoy me and I just don't want to have anything to do with them. During this preferred alone time I might pick up my drumsticks and  jam, or try to learn a song, or maybe just sit on my ass and play video games for hours on end.  And if you don't want to play alone, it's not like you can't play with friends or family.

If you think, well I shouldn't play guitar because I'm never going to reach JP's level, then what is the point in doing anything really? This is kind of harsh, but no should ever expect that they are going to be really good at anything they try, just continue to work at it and always get better. Confidence is key in doing so don't get me wrong. You should be confident you will be good, but you never know for sure you actually will. If you are human, then you should find satisfaction in your improvement as you put more work into it, and satisfaction is something all of us desire.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
andy you ask the weirdest questions

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
It is taking all my might not to make a troll thread related to this at the moment.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
Leave it up to Andy to dissect and clinically destroy even the most benign activity.

Holy fucking shit yes.

People do what they like to do.  People play instruments because they enjoy it, enjoy sharing their talents with other people, and enjoy the benefits it brings, in whatever form they take.  If you don't enjoy it Andy, don't do it.  But for God's sake, don't act like you don't see the point in doing it.  When you get right down to it, the only point of doing anything is because you enjoy it or the benefits it brings.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
I can see the point in doing it and the point in not doing it.  You can't do both.  Of course, it's a choice.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
Why live when you can just be dead?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
I end up playing alone most of the time, due to not knowing too many musicians.  (That may soon change as I get involved more in the community college's music program the next couple years.)

However, I couldn't imagine not enjoying drumming.  It's just something that never fails to put me in a good place.  I don't know if it'll make me much money in the real world, or if it's even going to be the means through which I attempt to make income, but I definitely can see myself always playing drums as a hobby at the very least. 

It just feels right to me. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
Why live when you can just be dead?

Cause then you're alone.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
Nah you can just be dead and be with God and all that.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »
I enjoy playing music alone.  Not as much as playing with others, or for others, but it's still a good time.  When you're alone, not having to worry about anyone hearing what you're doing, that's when you're free to try new things, experiment, learn, refine your craft.  Hmm, I think some people call that "practicing" but I've found that that word has negative connotations. 

But there's still the awesome feeling of creating.  Making music.  I can't draw or paint worth a shit, I'm okay at cooking and baking, but baby, give me an instrument and I will create.

Someone upthread compared playing music alone to other crafts, like making models or painting.  I can totally see that.  I suppose that for a lot of people, part of the fun is in sharing what you've done, but there are people who just enjoy the process.  Heck, some people sit and do crossword puzzles or Sudoko for hours.  It's not exactly something you can share ("Dude, I just finished my third puzzle book in a week!  I rock!") so obviously it's just done for the fun of it.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
You can't play with yourself your whole life Andy.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
Challenge accepted.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 12:28:58 AM »
Man ass. The point is to get as much man ass as possible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »

To get pussy.

I've been trying to locate the clip of Mark Wahlberg practicing "I eat pussy, all night long" in Rockstar, but to no avail. :(

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 01:30:22 AM »
Everyone has already given a hundred good reasons.

This is how AndyDT threads always work.  ALWAYS.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 01:33:34 AM »
Andy's threads are like funerals, seriously.

rumborak

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 05:57:14 AM »
Yes I realised this and unless it connects me to other people I don't see the point currently in doing it. I don't believe anything else. Even if it's one person like a friend or my wife or something listening or playing/singing that would be worthwhile but otherwise it's just death as far as I can see.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2011, 06:07:58 AM »
Frankly, playing an instrument for your own enjoyment is 10 times more worthwhile an activity than starting a thread about it on an internet forum. Just sayin'.

EDIT: At the danger of being reprimanded for a personal attack, I really wonder what it is like to meet you in real life, Andy. From the threads you start I imagine a Dementor-like experience, where all joy is drained out of one within seconds of meeting you.

rumborak
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:13:18 AM by rumborak »

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2011, 06:13:48 AM »

To get pussy.
Thanks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2011, 06:16:33 AM »

EDIT: At the danger of being reprimanded for a personal attack, I really wonder what it is like to meet you in real life, Andy. From the threads you start I imagine a Dementor-like experience, where all joy is drained out of one within seconds of meeting you.

rumborak

Or never enjoys the moment because his mind is thinking how to start a car crash.  Andy never just soaks in the moment.  Enjoy what you have at the moment.  He's missing out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 06:30:12 AM »
As a musician(singer) I can tell you, you have not lived until you stand on a stage in front of 1000 people and some girls comes up on stage and grabs your ass, only to be hit in the head with a bottle by my at the time girlfriend. True story. Good times!
Why would you want to miss out on life's great moments Andy?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
As they say, life's what happens while Andy is busy making threads.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »
Yes I realised this and unless it connects me to other people I don't see the point currently in doing it. I don't believe anything else. Even if it's one person like a friend or my wife or something listening or playing/singing that would be worthwhile but otherwise it's just death as far as I can see.
WTF Andy.  If you like doing it, then do it.  If you don't like doing it, then don't do it.  Believe it or not, most things in life are just that simple.  You overcomplicate everything.  Sometimes I think you could fuck up a wet dream.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:29 AM »

Then play some music for someone and make it worthwhile for you.  Problem solved.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
Frankly, playing an instrument for your own enjoyment is 10 times more worthwhile an activity than starting a thread about it on an internet forum. Just sayin'.

rumborak

:lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
As they say, life's what happens while Andy is busy making threads.

rumborak

:lol :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
This thread is hilarious.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »
WTF Andy.  If you like doing it, then do it.  If you don't like doing it, then don't do it.  Believe it or not, most things in life are just that simple.  You overcomplicate everything.  Sometimes I think you could fuck up a wet dream.

I'm willing to bet you 100 dollars he already has at some point.   :lol  Dude, Andy, lighten up, man!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
How about playing an instrument for the sake of the music itself?   As a means of self-discovery and exploration of one of the greatest artistic forms ... whether you're playing your own compositions or John Petrucci's or Beethoven's?  Of course it's great to connect with people, but connecting with music in and of itself should be a good enough reason. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
Because I love the enjoyment of playing a great solo and jamming with other people to an audience. It's not an ego issue. Just interacting with other people making music happen.

ALSO - when you get good enough to be able to actually solo really well - it is just SO satisfying  :biggrin:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
I feel really, really sorry for you Andy.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
It's a gorgeous day here in Tokyo and I plan to revel in the inherently narcissistic act of going to the park with my travel guitar and play some music for myself. I know, shame on me. I should be depressed, or at least start a thread on it.

rumborak

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 05:19:44 AM »
You should absolutetly not play guitar AndyDT.  Playing guitar is an ego goal (and hence separate from god).
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »
As a musician(singer) I can tell you, you have not lived until you stand on a stage in front of 1000 people and some girls comes up on stage and grabs your ass, only to be hit in the head with a bottle by my at the time girlfriend. True story. Good times!
Why would you want to miss out on life's great moments Andy?

I wouldn't. That's what I mean, enldessly playing an instrument alone that's as far as I'm concerned designed to be played socially is very sad. Getting together to jam is what it's all about to my mind.