Author Topic: Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto  (Read 14218 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2014, 10:54:05 PM »
It's alright. I can see it growing on me. Certainly doesn't deserve a lot of the vitriol being thrown at it that I've seen on Facebook and YouTube. Let'em experiment a bit.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:06 AM »
I like it quite a bit. Chill electronic is all I've been listening to lately so I'm all for it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2014, 09:49:50 PM »
Actually the song has been getting mainly praise... something this different from their previous outing has many fans quite excited.

Offline adace

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 05:53:16 AM »
Not sure how I feel about the vocoder approach on Midnight but I like the direction they're taking. I think they went a bit overboard on the pop sound with the last record so I'm hoping they get back to their roots.

Also, Atlas is an incredible song. Brings back the magic of their first couple albums. If there more stuff like that on the new album then I'm a happy camper.

Offline adace

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2014, 12:22:04 AM »
The new album is entitled "Ghost Stories" and will be released on May 19!

Here's the first single "Magic." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvBc2TOpE4&feature=youtu.be

Edit: On first listen the song's not bad. Sounds like a more experimental version of the stuff they did on MX. The second half is definitely better than the first. Really anticipating this album.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:27:23 AM by adace »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2014, 12:27:43 AM »
Absolutely love Midnight, and Magic is pretty mellow, but still catchy and quiet; I like it. I like the direction they're headed in and this new style. Pre-ordered.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline adace

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2014, 02:22:17 AM »
1. Always In My Head
2. Magic
3. Ink
4. True Love
5. Midnight
6. Another’s Arms
7. Oceans
8. A Sky Full Of Stars
9. O

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2014, 11:34:43 PM »
Target version will have three bonus tracks. Wondering if it's three actual songs or just acoustic/remix/live songs.

Offline adace

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
BBC performance of "Oceans" from the new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axWQoA1Psh0&feature=youtu.be

Excellent song. I don't think Mylo Xyloto was up to their standards but they seem like they're getting back on track with this one.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
Absolutely love it. I haven't liked Coldplay in a while but these new songs they've released have been among my favorites, Oceans being in the top spot now. I love the simplistic approach but it's still very mellow, pretty, and dreamy. I have a feeling this will be my favorite album by them.  :heart :millahhhh

RIP DTP.

Offline adace

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »
Damn dudeman, I have loved every track thus far. This album could be a big one for me. Catchy stuff; awesome.

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
To follow up on my last post, that Target deluxe edition's three bonus tracks aren't remixes or anything. They're their own tracks.

10. All Your Friends
11. Ghost Story
12. O (Part 2/Reprise)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Oh shit! Nice. Here I come, Target.

RIP DTP.

Offline adace

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »

Offline adace

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
Niiiice! Loving it so far.

RIP DTP.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
Yeah this is a really good album.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2014, 07:29:09 AM »
I've only listened to a few of the pre=released tracks, but I'm really not that fussed with what I've heard. When the album's out, I'll give it a few listens online somewhere before I purchase.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
I've listened to the album six or seven times now (had it playing as background music to Titanfall for a while... ??? :lol) and while there's not a whole lot on the album that makes me super excited or get into it, but I kind of love that about it. It's very quiet (except for Stars), simple, and atmospheric. I really like that about the album and it's highly replayable (especially since the end song re-fades into the beginning).

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
Love the new album. Its very chill and exactly what I'm looking for at this point in my life.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:01 AM »
As a huge fan of Xylo my initial reaction to Ghost Stories is kinda luke warm, I've listened to the album maybe 4-5 times and I think I really love half the songs, the others I dont really care much about.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
I've only spun the album once, but it seems really laid back, atmospheric and electronic - not my cup of tea. I prefer their stadium rocking sound over this. Hopefully I will learn to like it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
I'm different than the two in the last posts, I absolutely love this laid back, atmospheric direction, but I guess that makes sense given my tastes. The melodies are really, really good, and the songs just seem really genuine and sincere. Plus, O is probably one of the best songs Coldplay has ever released.

I really love the bridge in Ink, too. Some people have mentioned they don't like that one, but it is easily one of my favorites.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
After a few more days of listening there are only 3 songs (True love, Another's arms & Oceans) I don't connect with but just love the other 6 songs. I can't stop listening to sky full of stars over and over again, love it to death.

And if anyone is listening on itunes check out the visual album listen, it's really cool I wished that was available as well. It goes so well with many of the songs with Midnight being my favorite visual sync.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2014, 09:54:22 PM »
I'd say so far, I find it... alright? It's an alright album, but I really don't see myself coming back to this one often. I like Magic as a single, Another's Arms stuck out most to me, and it really seems like a good album to put on when I want to chill, but I have other records that are better for that. I do like some of the unexpected choir stuff. So yeah, glad the band's experimenting and whatnot, but this one just is kind of... there. I would not call it their worst album, but they've done so much better than this before.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
I'm different than the two in the last posts, I absolutely love this laid back, atmospheric direction, but I guess that makes sense given my tastes. The melodies are really, really good, and the songs just seem really genuine and sincere. Plus, O is probably one of the best songs Coldplay has ever released.

I really love the bridge in Ink, too. Some people have mentioned they don't like that one, but it is easily one of my favorites.

:tup :tup :millahhhh

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2014, 07:09:08 AM »

I'm right there with you. This direction they went in is exactly what I'm into right now, so I could not be happier.

Overall I'm really enjoying the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Coldplay were on Later... two weeks ago and Chris just cannot sing live. At all.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
Even though I have come to enjoying the album now this review is hilarious
https://thequietus.com/articles/15274-coldplay-ghost-stories-review

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2014, 03:22:03 PM »
Nope. Couldn't get past the second paragraph. That was (fucking lol) annoying...

It doesn't bother me that it's negative, or even borderline parodying, it's the whole concept that the word fuck is meant to either be funny or drive a point cause the guy is apparently annoyed by the album. We got it. How could anyone read that? This coming from a guy who uses profanity in almost every discussion I have. It still managed to drop my interest before I got past the intro. Holy hell...talk about overkill.

The funny part is that he's clearly invested in the whole drama of it all. I didn't even know Martin was dating Paltrow... There's just too many shits given for the amount of time hating the fact that he knows what it's all about... Just... Wow.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:36:47 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
The "fucking" parts are a bit annoying but the golden stuff is written around that. Whatever one man's amusement is another man's shit.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »
That was maybe a bit over the top. Pitchfork's review is pretty amazing though.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2014, 12:02:51 AM »
See, now that's pretty spot on; actually read all of it.  :lol I do agree that the lyrics are completely cringe-worthy at times, but I'm not usually one to complain about cheesy lyrics unless they're nonsensical or focus on truly mundane shit (see: miley twerkus). I don't think these are specifically bad, and they fit the songs themselves; though there's no denying how campy they are. But hey, apparently the guys hurtin', and he gets it out through some groovy tunes. It's not the most amazing album and it pales in comparison to what most of the musical gods that most of the forum likes accomplish, but it's fun for now. I am a bit disappointed in how short it is though. That's what she said.  :sadpanda: :millahhhh /flock'a'birds

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2014, 03:02:29 PM »
Does nobody else find it really weird in a kind of voyeuristic way listening to albums which are about one person's private life ?

It's like - nobody gives a shit. I don't even know you.