Author Topic: Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto  (Read 14230 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:30:23 AM »
There wasn't a thread on this yet, was there?

I'm on my first listen now. It's damn good. Anyone who knows me knows I'm quite the Coldplay fan, but screw it, this is real good.

It retains the more outwardly experimental feel of VLV, but instead of the grittiness that they used to great effect in many parts of that album, this one is, bar a few moments, very poppy, keyboard-driven, layered and big. It sounds like a clash of VLV and X&Y, but whereas that album (X&Y) was great in parts and flat and uninspired in others, they pull it off extremely well this time.

Oh, and the Rihanna track's a stunner.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Re: Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:52:14 AM »
I'll listen to it later this week or so. Not that excited because I don't really like the two tracks I already heard.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:08:13 AM »
I've given it a few spins, I like it so far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jag66

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 03:29:53 AM »
I'll have to give this a listen. I prefered the first 2 albums to the following 2 though..

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:15:41 AM »
I didn't know there was a new Coldplay album out. I wasn't too impressed with VLV but I'll check this out as soon as I can.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:15 AM »
well VLV was far, far more inspired than the horribly generic/played safe X&Y even if it wasn't gold like A Rush of Blood.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »
I was never a fan of this band, but I did think that Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends was fantastic.  Shockingly fantastic.  So, I'll be interested to hear what this new one sounds like.  I wasn't a fan of that single they released from it a few months back, so we shall see.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
AWESOME I didn't know this was out. Listening now.

Offline faemir

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
Listening now.

Cool front cover.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
rly cool front cover. I listened to it once. It's alright; I need to give it some more listens.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
Viva La Vida is a pretty good album.  I wasn't that impressed with "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," so I haven't paid attention to Coldplay recently and forgot about the new album.  Might listen on Spotify later.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
I liked the first half of Rush Of Blood.

Now I think they blatantly wanna be U2 so....Bad [ no pun intended ]...

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall just makes me think of Where The Streets have No Name...

Chris and Jonny even copy Bono and The Edge's stage moves when they play live.

I watched them do a gig on tv once and they were doing the whole "matador" thing that Bono and Edge do on "Until The End Of The World".

::)

So yeah...flame on etc. :flame:

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
I've only listened to the first few tracks and they sound great. Paradise is a terrific song.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »
They played "Paradise" on The Colbert Report and it was, shockingly, the very first Coldplay song I've ever heard. It was pretty good actually, considering all the crap they seem to get. Maybe I'll pick up MX or VLV sometime but I'm trying to cut back on music buying for a bit.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
Viva La Vida is a fantastic album. I like everything else from the band too, though not to as great a degree.

"Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall", "Major Minus", and "Paradise", though... all three have been really generic and bland. It sounds like they were trying to copy some other band I've heard recently, just recycled. Really worried for this album now. Still looking forward to hearing it, though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
I like Coldplay, and Parachutes is to this date my all time favorite from them. As for this new Mylo Xyloto... I think the singles are actually the weakest songs off the album. Didn't like Hurts like Heaven, Paradise is just meh, Princess of China... Just No, and I grew tired of ETIAW. Best songs for me are Us Against the World, Up with the Birds, UFO and Charlie Brown for now.

The album is OK for me, but none of the songs blew my mind like when I heard Death and All His friends for the first time. Or maybe just Up With the Birds ;)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »
I'll listen to it later this week or so. Not that excited because I don't really like the two tracks I already heard.

I wasn't a fan of that single they released from it a few months back, so we shall see.
To be honest, I wasn't hugely thrilled with either when I heard them pre-release, but within the context of the album, they've become something else and started to shine. I think it's the sort of album that comes together very nicely, it flows really well, and the tracks all compliment each other.

Still early days, but at the moment, I'd say my second favourite, behind Rush of Blood and just ahead of Viva La Vida. This is quite an incredible album.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »
I really like Coldplay, think they get a bad press due to how popular they are.
Yes they wanna be U2 but.....they do it so well.
The new album is goin down well also at the minute.
And Parachutes for me is a classic !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
Jools Holland last night...

:facepalm:

Chris REALLY cannot sing live can he ?

He's worse than Matt Bellamy when it comes to being constantly out of breath and his falsetto is WAY off { chris }..

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »
Live stream of a Coldplay concert:

https://www.youtube.com/ColdplayVEVO?feature=ticker
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
It won't load for me.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
All I can say is..

Radiohead is better :footloose:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
It won't load for me.

You lost a pretty good show. The only parts that bummed me were the new songs. Kinda underwhelming, especially if compared to Rush Of Blood's and Viva La Vida's.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline faemir

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 06:01:27 AM »
Jools Holland last night...

:facepalm:

Chris REALLY cannot sing live can he ?

He's worse than Matt Bellamy when it comes to being constantly out of breath and his falsetto is WAY off { chris }..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYAOIp41UOM&feature=channel_video_title

He sounds fine there.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 06:37:33 AM »
Didn't know about this show. Will have to watch/listen to it tomorrow.

Coldplay's live show wasn't as good in the days of their first few albums, but they have enough material and confidence now that they seem to effortlessly throw out really great energetic performances.

Offline faemir

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »
MX has grown on me a lot - on my fourth listen and i'm humming/singing along to half of the songs, despite not thinking much of them before.

I like how big the whole production/mix is, it's lovely and uplifting without being I walk beside you cheesy.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
I'm an idiot who's only heard their hit song and likes it.

Should I anything else by them?

Offline faemir

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Definitely - of their first three albums, a rush of blood to the head is their best (and their magnum opus) - check out pretty much any song from it, it has plenty of singles (clocks, the scientist etc.)

Parachutes is their first which is also good and in the same style.

X&Y is their third record, it's pretty uninspired, i've seen it described as "so inoffensive it hurts", because it's so play-it-safe, that in the end there is only one outstanding song on the record (Fix You)

Viva la Vida was when they dared to experiment and do something different - to great results. It's less straight forward than the first three records but definitely has some great songs - each song on the album feels very different too.

The new album seems to have continued this nicely by not being viva la vida 2, but retains a feel that was felt on it as well as Fix You on X&Y.

Sorry that's really convoluted and not clear.

TL;DR get A Rush of Blood to the Head. You won't regret it. If you do, pick up Viva la Vida or the new album.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
That's not a bad summary of their career, I agree on almost every point.

I don't think X&Y is quite that bad though. It is definitely their weakest album, hurt mostly by the production (which they've tweaked and works incredibly on MX) and Chris Martin's total overuse of falsetto. There are still some great songs on there; the first four, A Message, Low and Kingdom Come are all very good. But the other half of the album is pretty bland and flat, and notably, that includes three of the album's singles, Talk, Speed of Sound and The Hardest Part. (Though the Leftrightleftrightleft version of The Hardest Part is amazing).

I also found X&Y a bit of a downer when it came out because Chris Martin had been talking in the press about how Coldplay were about to deliver their OK Computer and go very experimental (which I suppose they did one album later). In the end, I think they pulled back because, after having talked himself up, Chris broke under self-doubt, which is reflected in quite a lot of the lyrics.

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02:16 AM »
Enofication!

I wonder how much cash Brian Eno gets to walk into the room and tell them: "This is crap, start over"?

(Huge Eno fan here)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »
The opener and the second song are excellent. A lot of filler. The single is great. The Rihanna song is awesome. And filler.

Offline faemir

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
which is reflected in quite a lot of the lyrics.

Oh god that's the worst.

On the first two albums the melancholic lyrics and sound worked fine, but by X&Y, it began to piss me off "waaah i'm sad, look at how miserable everything is" oh wait look at my life, it's actually awesome.

X&Y is so safe/play by the numbers that it's boring and disappointing, and lazy. Just being a pop rock or rock band doesn't mean you should release the same album over and over again (3 doors down and ac/dc I'm looking at you).

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
On the first two albums the melancholic lyrics and sound worked fine, but by X&Y, it began to piss me off "waaah i'm sad, look at how miserable everything is" oh wait look at my life, it's actually awesome.

Yeah, I know what you mean by this, but I think the sheer amount of falsetto he's using on some of those songs contributes to that tone almost as much as the lyrics.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
I need to get this!

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »
About three listens in, I've decided I like the new one.  It's no Viva la Vida, but it's good.

I'm still in shock over the Rihanna song, though.  I loathe her voice and kind of want to hate the track on principle, but she does a good job on a good song.