Author Topic: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres  (Read 26342 times)

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
Re: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 06:58:58 AM »
33 Harry Connick. Jr. - We Are in Love (1990)

I mentioned in the beginning that I played trumpet all my school days.  In college I got pretty good and rubbed shoulders with some very incredible musicians.  The music of choice by many of my trumpet playing peers were people like Maynard Ferguson, Wynton Marsalis, and Phil Driscoll.  So getting into Harry Connick Jr was natural for me as a singer and a trumpet player.  Plus, in the 90's Harry Connick Jr. helped make jazz, big bands, and crooning cool again.  This album is the one out of the gazillion that he's made that was always my favorite.  It's high quality and sensitive.  The trumpets are amazing in the title track.  There's plenty of sad "I've lost you" moments that make you want to cry especially after a break up with a girlfriend. 

Harry Connick, Jr. is a genius and I own many of his CD's.  The Blue Light, Red Light is a similar big band type album with some impressive "screaming" trumpets.  He wrote and arranged all the songs on both Blue Light, Red Light and We Are In Love.  However, this one has so much more tenderness and sincerity maybe it was because he was just starting to date the Victoria's Secret model Jill Goodacre then.  Regardless, I find We Are in Love a more consistent and complete album than any of his other ones.  Of course other people thought it was good too.  The album went double platinum and he won a Grammy with it.

Favorite Songs: We Are in Love, A Nightingale in Barkley Square, Heavenly, I've Got a Great Idea, It's Alright With Me
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Durg

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Getting serious crickets today.   :rollin

I figured that might happen.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »
I'm just fixated on Henry Connick's gaze . . . . .

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
Love Octavarium. The title track is probably, probably my favourite DT song

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:27 AM »
I've been meaning to check out Graceland, I've only heard 'You Can Call Me Al'.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Durg

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 11:19:18 AM »
I've been meaning to check out Graceland, I've only heard 'You Can Call Me Al'.

There's major African influences in Graceland.  Homeless in particular is primarily performed by an African singing group.  They use lots of deep harmonies and vocal imagery.  Very unique if you're looking for something different.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »
Mad love for Octavarium. 

Paul Simon is a genius and I still buy all his albums.  If you haven't heard Graceland bass players, listen too it now.

Harry Connick Jr.  I never liked the big band music but I loved his 2 New Orleans funk, rock albums.  Saw him perform them live.  the man played every instrument onstage and is a tour de force live.  Very charismatic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »
Nice to see Octavarium get some much-deserved praise around here, it's so underrated.  :tup

Offline Durg

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »
Paul Simon is a genius and I still buy all his albums.  If you haven't heard Graceland bass players, listen too it now.
That is so true about Graceland.  There's so much funky bass in that album. 

I love the Call Me Al video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

Harry Connick Jr.  I never liked the big band music but I loved his 2 New Orleans funk, rock albums.  Saw him perform them live.  the man played every instrument onstage and is a tour de force live.  Very charismatic.

Trumpet players love big band stuff.  Like this from Red Light Blue Light.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3SZ3tacC9I&ob=av2e

Freaking Awesome trumpets!  It's so hard to play those freaking high notes!   :millahhhh

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
Love the diversity with these three - something I don't have. A prog masterpiece of this generation; Paul Smon is a folk genre legend himself; and jazz/big band. Very cool.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
Love Octavarium :) . While Paul Simon isn't really my thing, I actually watched a special on VH1 on the making of (I love those shows) the Graceland album and it was pretty cool. I've always enjoyed "50 ways to leave your lover" though (not off that album I know).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
I don't mind Octavarium.  It's a good album.

I don't really know anything else though...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
Paul Simon is a genius and I still buy all his albums.  If you haven't heard Graceland bass players, listen to it now.
That is so true about Graceland.  There's so much funky bass in that album. 

I love the Call Me Al video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

Trumpet players love big band stuff.  Like this from Red Light Blue Light.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3SZ3tacC9I&ob=av2e

Freaking Awesome trumpets!  It's so hard to play those freaking high notes!   :millahhhh

Loved seeing Harry live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Durg

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2011, 07:07:21 AM »
32.  Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009)

I will never forget.  I had been discussing music on a Arkansas Razorbacks forum and someone kept talking about Dream Theater being highly skilled musicians but unnoticed in the music world.  Their comment didn't really make me seek them out at that time.  However, a few months later I got a Napster subscription in August 2009 and explored all kinds of musical genres.  Once I sort of got board with everything I remembered that forum post and decided to check them out.  I was pleased to see that they had just released a new album so I fired it up and sat back to listen.  I remember my thoughts exactly as Nightmare to Remember started.   

* 0:10 Thunder cool
* 0:40 Nice atmosphere with the keyboard and the rain.
* 0:56 Woah!
* 1:13 WOOAAAH! the drums!
* 1:42 WOOOOOOAAAH! the layers! the keyboard! the horror movie feel!
* 1:44 What?
* 1:56 Ok this is awesome!
* 2:50 I may have finally found my favorite band.
* 3:24 MIXED TIME SIGNATURES.  WHAT?!?!??!   SWEET!!
* 6:50 So beautiful! OMG this is the most amazing music I've ever heard!

I could go on but it would be too much.  I was literally freaking out.  This experience was like nothing I had ever experienced.  I was completely blown away from the very beginning to the end.  I absolutely was obsessed with this album and this band for literally one and a half years and it was an obsession like I've never had before.   

Now after buying all of their studio albums and listening to this album so many times I admit it's not my favorite anymore but it still deserves this ranking because it is a very solid album and that first memory was like none other.

Favorite Songs: A Nightmare to Remember, Wither, The County of Tuscany
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:54:13 AM by Durg »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:27 AM »
Although BC&SL falls into the bottom half of my DT ranking, it's still better than 80% of my library.  Good album.  I understand the impact that a relatively unheralded album can have on shaping one's musical tastes.  I've got my fair share of influences by otherwise mediocre albums.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2011, 07:47:57 AM »
'Whiter'. Funny one one letter can make such a difference.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2011, 07:52:19 AM »
7th on my DT list.  I absolutely love TCOT.  Top 5 song for me.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
BC&SL is in my bottom half of DT albums, but still dominates most other music I have. Nice choice!

Offline Durg

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »
31.  Jars of Clay - Much Afraid (1997)

The title of this album I always assumed probably captured the feeling of Jars of Clay as they attempted to follow up a hugely successful debut self titled album.  In fact the momentum of that first album's success probably prompted fans of the band to blindly go out and buy it expecting to hear more of the same.  However, it was different and this was the first time that Jars of Clay fans will experience a new sound.  The thoughtful and mature lyrical writing was still there.  The catchy melodic hooks and first class musicianship was still there.  However, this album seem to be less progressive and more pop rock.  Still a few tracks shine through that remind us of the sound that put them on the map in 1995.  This album was released in 1997 and I still listen to it to this day.  In fact my MP3 player brought up "Frail" just the other day and I got goose bumps listening to it.  It's such a beautiful and atmospheric song.   

If you're new to Jars of Clay I probably wouldn't start with this album but there are plenty of tracks on here that would make even the toughest critics happy.

Favorite Songs: Overjoyed, Crazy Times, Frail, Truce, Much Afraid

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
I'll be honest I don't know most albums from your list... maybe because i listen overall to more recent stuff.

Offline Durg

« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »
I'll be honest I don't know most albums from your list... maybe because i listen overall to more recent stuff.

That's ok.  I don't know most of the albums on almost all the other lists.   :laugh:

Offline Durg

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
30.  Level 42 - World Machine (1985)

I always go through obsession phases with certain bands and this one was my obsession my senior year of high school through the first few years of college.  I don't know exactly how I got into Level 42.  I know that "Something About You" was on the radio some.  But Level 42 was just not all that well known.  I guess I was looking for something that wasn't radio at the time and I pulled the trigger with World Machine.  I liked it so much that I ended up buying 3 or 4 more albums by them.  But World Machine was the best by far.

I haven't listened to them in many many years but I can't deny the impact they had on my musical tastes and influences.  Mark King is an OK singer (he get's pretty nasally sometimes) but his bass playing.  Oh my! He didn't just play the bass to give the band a backbone.  His bass playing was the feature of so many songs with riffs and grooves that are always out front.  I guess I've always been a sucker for unique and catchy bass lines in songs.  But the way he uses the bass to provide a unique sound to the songs is brilliant.   

As I sit here and listen to this album once again for the purposes of this ranking I am still struck with just how good this music is.  Sort of rock, sort of electronic, but undeniably good.  A must listen is "Hot Water" and "Good Man In A Storm".  If you don't like these songs or "Something About You" then just move on because Level 42 is not for you.

Favorite Songs: Something About You, World Machine, Hot Water, Good Man in A Storm, The Chant Has Begun

Offline Durg

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »

lol.  I need an editor.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »

lol.  I need an editor.

Apparently so do I, I can't even make a right sentence  :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
31.  Jars of Clay - Much Afraid (1997)

The title of this album I always assumed probably captured the feeling of Jars of Clay as they attempted to follow up a hugely successful debut self titled album.  In fact the momentum of that first album's success probably prompted fans of the band to blindly go out and buy it expecting to hear more of the same.  However, it was different and this was the first time that Jars of Clay fans will experience a new sound.  The thoughtful and mature lyrical writing was still there.  The catchy melodic hooks and first class musicianship was still there.  However, this album seem to be less progressive and more pop rock.  Still a few tracks shine through that remind us of the sound that put them on the map in 1995.  This album was released in 1997 and I still listen to it to this day.  In fact my MP3 player brought up "Frail" just the other day and I got goose bumps listening to it.  It's such a beautiful and atmospheric song.   

If you're new to Jars of Clay I probably wouldn't start with this album but there are plenty of tracks on here that would make even the toughest critics happy.

Favorite Songs: Overjoyed, Crazy Times, Frail, Truce, Much Afraid

I cannot say enough about how lush and melodic this album is.  Fade to Grey, Tea & Sympathy & Frail give me goosebumps.  As a person who isn't very religious, I never wanted to hold myself back because of lyrical intent but JOC lyrics are the best christian themed lyrics I have ever read.  2 thumbs waaaaay up!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
30.  Level 42 - World Machine (1985)

I always go through obsession phases with certain bands and this one was my obsession my senior year of high school through the first few years of college.  I don't know exactly how I got into Level 42.  I know that "Something About You" was on the radio some.  But Level 42 was just not all that well known.  I guess I was looking for something that wasn't radio at the time and I pulled the trigger with World Machine.  I liked it so much that I ended up buying 3 or 4 more albums by them.  But World Machine was the best by far.

I haven't listened to them in many many years but I can't deny the impact they had on my musical tastes and influences.  Mark King is an OK singer (he get's pretty nasally sometimes) but his bass playing.  Oh my! He didn't just play the bass to give the band a backbone.  His bass playing was the feature of so many songs with riffs and grooves that are always out front.  I guess I've always been a sucker for unique and catchy bass lines in songs.  But the way he uses the bass to provide a unique sound to the songs is brilliant.   

As I sit here and listen to this album once again for the purposes of this ranking I am still struck with just how good this music is.  Sort of rock, sort of electronic, but undeniably good.  A must listen is "Hot Water" and "Good Man In A Storm".  If you don't like these songs or "Something About You" then just move on because Level 42 is not for you.

Favorite Songs: Something About You, World Machine, Hot Water, Good Man in A Storm, The Chant Has Begun
Mark's melodies and thumping bass lines are a joy to listen too.  saw them live and they sounded heavier than the albums or shall I say more powerful.  Great album.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »
This is what immediately jumped in my head when I saw Level 42.  BANZAI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRxgapzsU8

Offline Durg

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »
I'll have to post tomorrow.  I don't have any power at my house.  Dang snow in October! >:(

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
Dang!  Oh well, what's one more day?

Offline Durg

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »
Well, still no power at the house but I'm at work so, on with the show.

After today's submissions things are going to get pretty interesting as for as genre.  However, today we're going to stick with the rock genre.

29.  Collective Soul - Collective Soul (1995)

I've seen this album on a few other people's to 50 list and it brought a smile to my face.  Listening to this album always reminds me of a time in my life that was in such disarray.  I had been out of college for a few years.  I'd been traveling all over the country working for a company in South Carolina racking up the frequent flyer miles.  I was working long hours and sometimes all nighters and making a pretty low salary doing it.  I had just broken off my engagement with my girlfriend from college (you know the one that kept the engagement ring  >:( ) and just finished up a long stint working on a project on site in San Francisco were I had been exposed to so much of the popular grunge music of the day; Nirvana, Soundgarden, Perl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.  And, it's not that I didn't like that style of music, well, it was just OK for me.  I had also heard of Collective Soul too....too much!  The radio stations played "Shine" like every ten minutes.  But then I started hearing songs like "December" and "The World I Know" from this album and decided to buy the album like all the other pop radio listening sheep.

The thing is, Collective Soul is sort of a guilty pleasure for me.  They were a 90's (actually I just realized that they released an album in 2007) "happy" grudge band which was a contrast to the "I want to kill myself" Seattle sound.  I like that.  Yes they're very radio friendly (at least back in the 90's) and their music is very much a catchy riff driven pop grunge.  Their music in all of their albums sound pretty much the same with a few exceptions.  That can be considered an indictment or a positive depending on what you're looking for.  I tend to call it consistent and knowing what your audience likes.  I could have easily put Disciplined Breakdown here on this list as much as this one but I feel that overall this one is a bit stronger.    So knowing that this was a very trendy band with a pop radio following, I still listen this album all the time, for some reason the music is just a comfort and it makes for good background music for computer programming.  I admit that I like the pop radio stuff sometimes.

Favorite Songs: Simple, The World I Know, December, Where the River Flows, Gel, Collection of Goods, Reunion
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:51:45 AM by Durg »

Offline Durg

« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »
28.  Boston - Third Stage (1986)

I had trouble figuring out where to place this one.  I listened to this album almost non-stop in high school.  I made out with girls to this music.  Water skied.  Crused in on Friday nights with the guys.  Slept with it going on the headphone on band trips.  It was a big part of my high school life and culture.  But as I look back on my life since high school I realize that I have listened to this album so much over these 20+ years (yes yes I'm old as mold).  I suppose the main reason I listen to this album so much is because I'm a singer and Brad Delp is just so FRIGGIN' amazing.  The brief time that I sang for a rock band I tried to emulate Brad Delp.  It's so sad that today's young people can't appreciate a good singer like Brad anymore. RIP! 

Today's singers have to be screamers or rapper.  You get a guy that can soar like Brad Delp, Lou Gramm, or or course James LaBrie and kids today get turned off by it.  Maybe it's a generational thing.  Maybe it was due to the fact that I actually could sing that high.  I've just always appreciated the soaring vocals. 

But aside from that, Boston just has a great sound that is unique.  Not only did I love the singing but the nerd in me loved the fact that Tom Scholz (guitarist, keyboardist, songwriter, and producer) was an MIT student and first class brainiac.  Not to mention a pretty darn good guitar player.

Third stage has many very strong tracks on it with great harmonies great licks and a bunch of sci fi sounds.  It will forever be on my musical play list.

Favorite Songs: Amanda, Cool the Engines, To Be a Man, Can'tcha Say (You Believe in Me) / Still In Love
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:53:25 AM by Durg »

Offline Durg

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »
27.  Yes - Union (1991)

Yes!  Finally!  We get to a Yes album!

I just love this album.  I don't know why I can't get into the really old Yes stuff.  Probably because back then I just gave too much credence to what was played on the radio.  The only old stuff that they would play would be off Fragile and I didn't really know anything about Close to the Edge.  I had sampled some of the old Yes stuff and just really wasn't interested in the "old" sound.  So before this album came out I owned Fragile, 90125, and Big Generator and that was the extent of my Yes knowledge. 

I bought this album as soon as it came out and as I look back I have listened to this one on and off for 20 years without many breaks in between.  Even when my son was 5 or 6 years old I had him listening to it and loving it.  It's been one of my Yes favorites which is pretty unusual because so many Yes fans are down on it  I just really like the mood and feel of the songs.  You can just lose yourself in this album and be sad when it's over.  And for my money "Miracle of Life" and "Lift Me Up" is at the top of my list of favorite Yes songs.

Favorite Songs: I Would have Waited Forever, Masquerade, Lift Me Up, Miracle of Life, Dangerous

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2011, 06:53:39 AM »
Nice to see Boston and Yes!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
Sweet, that same Collective Soul album made my Top 50, great stuff :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »
Boston!!!!  The only shame is that we only got five albums from them (six if you include RTZ... which I do just because for me, Delp = Boston), although I've never had a listen to Corporate America.  Scholz could write and play some really awesome riffs.

Collective Soul S/T is probably the only songs I really know from them.  Good tracks.

Union isn't my favorite Yes, but any Yes is good Yes.  Go fix yourself and listen to Close to the Edge.   ;)