Author Topic: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres  (Read 26331 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »
I'd have to listen to it first, I'm not a big fan of musical preaching as long as it isn't very in my face but it's worth a shot I guess.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
Awake and BWP are 2 phenomenal albums.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
I'd have to listen to it first, I'm not a big fan of musical preaching as long as it isn't very in my face but it's worth a shot I guess.

It's pretty much a concept album that covers the topic of how man became separated from God because of sin (Adam & Eve) and how Jesus gave man the way to be back in fellowship with God.  It's the cornerstone of the Christian faith.  So if that kind of topic rubs you wrong then I don't think you'd be able to get past it.  However, Master of Confusion is an AWESOME song.  Seriously!  There's some incredible vocal sequences in that song that is the coolest I've ever heard.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »
90125, Awake, and One are great choices. And it's funny how many people who aren't fans of "musical preaching" probably have no problems with Neil Peart's atheist diatribes or openly satanic bands.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
Which bands are openly satanic? Serious question.

As for Neil's atheist preachings, I never noticed them but I don't listen to much Rush to begin with.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
Three very very solid albums right there.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2011, 06:53:45 PM »
As for Neil's atheist preachings, I never noticed them but I don't listen to much Rush to begin with.
Neil doesn't preach about atheism on every song, so it's not quite the same.

Satanic bands tend to be so overly, ridiculous SATAN! that I can't really take them seriously at all.

Offline Durg

« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2011, 05:58:15 AM »
8.  DC Talk - Jesus Freak ((1995)

So it's pretty clear that I'm a Christian.  Plus, I listen to a lot of Christian music.  As I mentioned before, I grew up in a small town in Arkansas and there was no Christian music radio and Christian rock music was frowned upon in my childhood church.  I don't know why.  Something about missionary kids playing Christian rock in Africa and the natives thinking it was the beat of the devil or something like that.  All I know is, I'm a Christian and I love heavy rock music with bold message.  Jesus Freak and more specifically the title track came out at a time in the Christian music industry where artists were trying, unsuccessfully, to water down the message to get mainstream radio time.  The music was boring and usually behind the times.  The message was usually vague and uninspiring.  DC Talk and more specifically TobyMac decided it was time to just be unafraid and get in peoples faces about our Christian faith.  This album speaks from a perspective of Christians being flawed and completely in need of a God that forgives us and loves us in spite of how unloving we are.  It points the finger at hypocrites and and encourages us to be bold and unwavering in our beliefs.  On top of that every song just plain ROCKS!

Anyone that has read any of my various song rankings and other related posts in the past would actually be surprised that this is so low.  Indeed for more than 10 years it has been at the very top for me.  But as I have spent a lot of time thinking about this list.  Doing write ups.  Reranking and reranking.  I have to be honest that I sort of burned myself out on this album a bit.  Of course #8 is nothing to sneeze at but low none the less for me and I'm even surprised, myself, that I had to move it down this far.  It just goes to show how tastes change over the years.

Favorite Songs: So Help Me God, Colored People, Jesus Freak, Between You and Me, What Have We Become
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:34:52 AM by Durg »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Durg

« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »
7.  Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

As I mentioned before.  I listened to a lot classic rock when I was younger and that includes a lot of Pink Floyd.  I never liked them enough to buy their albums but I was pretty familiar with their stuff.  When I would think of Pink Floyd I always thought of "Another Brick in the Wall" which seemed to get played like once an hour on classic rock stations.  However, one of my favorite Pink Floyd's songs has always been "Wish You Were Here" and I enjoy playing it on the guitar.  I download this album earlier this year and realized that I had heard every song on this album many times on the radio (except maybe part 2 of Shine On You Crazy Diamond).  The thing that surprised me even more was that I have always really liked ALL those songs.

Favorite Songs: All 5 of them

Offline Durg

« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2011, 06:02:24 AM »
6.  Yes - Talk (1994)

This underrated Yes album is one of my favorites.  I'm clearly a Trevor Rabin fan.  I bought this album as soon as it came out.  I obsessed over it.  Then I saw them in concert in Charlette, NC.  Hootie & the Blowfish opened for them which was very interesting (and good by the way), but I digress.  Having been a fan of the Union album and 90125.  Talk was a treat and seeing them in concert playing "Endless Dream", "Walls", and the title track was almost a spiritual experience for me.  This album, while not being that popular with the Yes fans, is one of my favorites supported mostly for the time of my life and the concert which was one of the best I've ever been to.

Favorite Songs: Really all of them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
I agree that Talk is a totally underrated album normally. I'm happy to see it so high in your list. Endless Dream is a magnificent musical piece.

Wish You Were Here is just so amazing.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2011, 06:16:59 AM »
WHOOOO for Wish You Were Here what a fabulous album. I really need to check out yes.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2011, 06:24:58 AM »
WYWH is awesome! Haven't heard that Yes album but I will check it out!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2011, 06:29:44 AM »
You must've done a lot of re-ranking.  Your writeup says DC Talk is #9, but it's #8.

WYWH... brilliant album.

Top 5 prediction ... I don't know many Christian albums, so can't comment there.  I&W is still to come.  Maybe another Floyd?  Boston debut?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Durg

« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »
You must've done a lot of re-ranking.  Your writeup says DC Talk is #9, but it's #8.

WYWH... brilliant album.

Top 5 prediction ... I don't know many Christian albums, so can't comment there.  I&W is still to come.  Maybe another Floyd?  Boston debut?

Duhp!   :facepalm:

Thanks for pointing that out.  I fixed it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:45 AM »

WYWH... brilliant album.

Duhp!   :facepalm:

Thanks for pointing that out.  I fixed it.

No biggie.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Durg

« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2011, 05:57:29 AM »
Well we're getting close to finishing this thing.  Three today and two tomorrow.

5.  Kings X - Dogman (1994)

For me the early 90's was spent rocking out to King's X and Dogman without question is the best King's X album out there.  Faith Hope Love is great but Dogman is just a amazing rock album that I have enjoyed for many many years.  It just seems to be heavier, the harmonies are more crisp, and the lyrics are better.  I must also mention that I love the album cover. 

Favorite Songs:  All of them.  Of course

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2011, 06:01:09 AM »
A very interesting list to be sure. Awesome.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Durg

« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2011, 06:12:21 AM »
4.  Phil Keaggy - Beyond Nature (1991)

This is the only instrumental album in my listing, but this one ranks near the top for not only it's musical brilliance but also it's healing power on me personally.  I've owned this album for 20 years and have listened to it when I couldn't sleep, when I've had headaches, and when I'm stressed out.  My son would always listen to it when he was going to sleep at night as well.  It's beautiful, technical, and spiritually healing.  Phil Keaggy is one of the greatest guitar players in the world and this is one of his greatest works.

I've seen Phil Keaggy in concert probably 5 times and the man is a guitar hero.  However my favorite time was when I was living in New Jersey and he did a concert on the Princeton campus.  It was cool walking across the old campus to the auditorium.  The auditorium was very cool and we were actually above him as he performed.  It was clear that he was not in the greatest of moods and possibly didn't want to be there.  I think he dealt with this by turning the concert into what seemed more like a practice session for himself.   Playing mostly acoustic instrumentals he would change string tuning multiple times in the middle of songs.  He used a sequencer/recorder to record 5 or 6 licks or patterns and play them all back one by one.  Building layers and layers of sounds until it was like a full band was playing then he would jam out to an amazing guitar solo.   It truly was one of the most amazing spectacles I've ever witnessed and being able to sit right above him watching him have complete command over his guitar has stuck with me for so many many years. 

I'm not a big fan of his singing and not even really a big fan of his rock music style.  But his beautiful instrumentals speak to my soul in a way I just can't explain.  I've mentioned this album on this board in the context of various topics and I've received some "meh" responses but that's OK.  Perhaps Beyond Nature was made just for me.   :azn:

Favorite Songs: Well...  All of them

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
I was never a big DC Talk fan when they did rap but starting with Jesus Freak, I fell in love with their last 2 albums.  Though I am not a religious person I love this album, melodies, harmonies and all.  Great pick Durg.

What can I say about WYWH.  Fantastic pick.

Yes Talk.  I am one of the Yes fans that love this album.  Always will be a Treveor Rabin fan and this album is great.

Dogman, King's X with Balls.  I couldn't believe how heavy and the bottom end on this album (Please come home  Mr. Bulbous blew my bottom end mind even more).  Beatles harmonies with funky heavy music.  A perfect meld of styles I love.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2011, 06:17:40 AM »
I've always heard so much about Phil Keaggy but never checked into him.  I've always thought of him as the secular version of Richard Thompson.  I need to check him out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Durg

« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2011, 06:20:33 AM »
3.  Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

The late 80's was my Huey Lewis era.  I've had Level 42, Kings X, Yes, Toad the Wet Sprocket obsessions that got me through the 90's and the 2000's.  However, in August of 2009 my musical world was changed forever with the discovery of Dream Theater.  As I mentioned before, Black Clouds & Silver Linings was my first Dream Theater experience.  But, hearing Images and Words for the first time was really where I knew that my obsession was going to be long lasting.  It was the moment that I realized that I had finally found what I was looking for in music.  I had been on a long 40 year musical journey to find a way to quench a never ending thirst for something to satisfy my musical cravings.  Hearing Images and Words for the first time was like that euphoric plunge into cool clean oasis of water after crawling through the desert and dying of thirst.  It led me to so many other musical options that I would have never considered before and restored my belief that there are still people out there can care about creating the best quality in music and musicianship.  My only regret is that I never discovered them sooner.

When I first created this ranking last year I automatically put this as my #1.  However, I've noticed that I've cooled a little (obviously not much) on the album.  But really the next two are just that much special to me personally. 

Favorite Songs: There is no weakness.  They are all my favorite.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »
Well, I knew I&W had to be there.  No surprise, and well deserved.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2011, 07:18:47 AM »
I&W is my favourite album ever. Perfect in every way! I'm in love with that album so much.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
I&W, a Top 5 album for me. Outstanding in every possible way. Nothing more to say, really.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
YES! Phil Keaggy is great and I love that album, almost made my top 50 myself.

Offline Durg

« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
YES! Phil Keaggy is great and I love that album, almost made my top 50 myself.

Sweet.  You made my day!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
Images & Words. The album that currently sits the #3 spot in MY top 50 as well. Nice!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »
You can never go wrong with I&W.

Also, it's cool to see a lot of albums on this list that are exclusive to yours. I doubt many of these will be on future lists.

Offline Durg

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
I was never a big DC Talk fan when they did rap but starting with Jesus Freak, I fell in love with their last 2 albums.  Though I am not a religious person I love this album, melodies, harmonies and all.  Great pick Durg.

First of all I think it's really cool how you've heard so much of the music on my list and as a non religious person give albums like Jesus Freak a chance.  I actually don't think that most on this board would have a problem with the lyrics on this album because it mostly contains a chastising, angry tone at Christians in the content.  A sort of "quit acting like pansies and hypocrites and start living for the one you claim to believe in" tone. 

Secondly I don't have their next album Supernatural but I did see that concert in Philly and man were they great!  They really knew how to put on a show.

Dogman, King's X with Balls.  I couldn't believe how heavy and the bottom end on this album (Please come home  Mr. Bulbous blew my bottom end mind even more).  Beatles harmonies with funky heavy music.  A perfect meld of styles I love.

I really love the way you articulate Kings X sound.  It's quite unique and you described it perfectly.  They really lost me with Ear Candy and I haven't even listened to Mr. Bulbous.  If you're telling me it's better then I really need to go get it.  It's unfortunate that even with my Napster subscription that Mr. Bulbous only allows me to hear 30 second samples.

Offline Durg

« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

Also, it's cool to see a lot of albums on this list that are exclusive to yours. I doubt many of these will be on future lists.

I bet your list will have a lot of exclusive albums that are just yours.  I'll really be interested to check out the stuff on your list.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »

I bet your list will have a lot of exclusive albums that are just yours.  I'll really be interested to check out the stuff on your list.

Heh, well, I think a lot of the exclusive albums on my list will be very unappealing to most people on the board, but there's always an outside chance one or two of them may intrigue some viewers.

I'm still not entirely sure if I want to carry through with the list. I tend to go back and forth, but I'm more inclined to do it than not.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Images and Words is not personally my favourite DT album, but I think it might be the best DT album.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
Images and Words is not personally my favourite DT album, but I think it might be the best DT album.

This fo' sho'.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2011, 06:29:53 AM »
Images and words  :tup

I'm surprised to see Talk in your top 10, being that I've never listened to the album and knowing that it's not really regarded as one of their classics. I'll listen to it someday, that's for sure - I might be pleasantly surprised the way I was with The Ladder, that one turned out to be amazing.