Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 340565 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The Dear Hunter - All is as All Should Be [EP] Pg. 100
« Reply #3605 on: March 13, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »
I just saw them on Saturday March 3rd and they played both Mustard Gas and The Moon / Awake.

Here's the set list. Pretty sure they've been playing this same set list at every show this tour.

The Old Haunt
Blame Paradise
The March
The Most Cursed of Hands
The Tank
The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and The Sermon in the Silt
Wait
Mustard Gas
The Revival
Witness Me
The Moon / Awake

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3606 on: March 13, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »
We definitely didn't make it to The Moon / Awake. Probably not Mustard Gas either, though I'm not completely sure.  I think we probably left just before that. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3607 on: March 14, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
I could take or leave some of the songs on that set list. It breaks my heart that there is nothing from The Colour Spectrum (or Migrant) being played. I'd just be happy if they played 'Home' and dropped either of the songs from Act III.

I'd be glad they're playing The Old Haunt, The March, The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and The Sermon in the Silt, Wait and The Moon/Awake. There are plenty of songs I'd rather hear over the rest of the set but I know they'd knock it out of the park. I can be picky but these guys are so good that even the songs I rate in the top #20-40 are still fantastic.

I just need to see these guys again!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3608 on: March 15, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »
the set list I think may be catered to a point to this tour.

I.e. their next Headlining tour stuff from those albums may show up.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3609 on: March 15, 2018, 11:07:57 AM »
If I ever get the chance to see TDH live, that setlist is near-perfect for me. Literally love all songs on that set except Witness Me
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3610 on: March 16, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
they need to perform this one live sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8DO3Bqm5Qs

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3611 on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »
That set is almost similar to their headline set they did before.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3612 on: March 17, 2018, 11:46:08 PM »
Show was still awesome....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3613 on: March 18, 2018, 10:17:57 AM »
I was watching the new Captain Underpants movie the other day, and man the score for that made me think that TDH would be great at scoring a movie. Especially a lighthearted coming of age indie film or a kids movie that is mature enough to cross-appeal to older audiences. Their sound really would fit a movie perfectly

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3614 on: March 18, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/CaseyCrescenzo/status/950416641426255872

Attempt #3: @rianjohnson please let me score your new Star Wars trilogy. What if I write and record the whole soundtrack now and send it to you as a demo tape?

12:19 PM - Jan 8, 2018

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #3615 on: March 20, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »
I just saw them on Saturday March 3rd and they played both Mustard Gas and The Moon / Awake.

Here's the set list. Pretty sure they've been playing this same set list at every show this tour.

The Old Haunt
Blame Paradise
The March
The Most Cursed of Hands
The Tank
The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and The Sermon in the Silt
Wait
Mustard Gas
The Revival
Witness Me
The Moon / Awake

Pretty much the same at the 3/19 show in Austin, TX-- no Blame Paradise and I don't think anything replaced it.  Most disappointing concert setlist of songs that I absolutely love ever-- only additions from the last couple tours were Witness Me and The Tank.  Definitely makes sense that they need to cater more to the BTBAM audience but really could have used Act I/II/Color Spectrum/Migrant in there.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3616 on: May 16, 2018, 11:25:13 AM »
for those like who never heard the split cover with BTBAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_p06LEnSfg&feature=youtu.be

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3617 on: November 01, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »
Just because, I wanted to talk my top 10 TDH songs. I think it'd be intetsting to see other people's as I think they are the sort of band where people's faves will vastly differ.

1. Home
2. A Night on the Town
3. Red Hands
4. Wait
5. The March
6. Waves
7. Is There Anybody There?
8. Melpomene
9. The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and the Sermon in the Silt
10. Light

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3618 on: November 01, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
for those like who never heard the split cover with BTBAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_p06LEnSfg&feature=youtu.be
That was cool, I think I enjoyed TDH cover BTBAM a bit more.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3619 on: November 20, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3620 on: November 23, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
Just because, I wanted to talk my top 10 TDH songs. I think it'd be intetsting to see other people's as I think they are the sort of band where people's faves will vastly differ.

1. Home
2. A Night on the Town
3. Red Hands
4. Wait
5. The March
6. Waves
7. Is There Anybody There?
8. Melpomene
9. The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and the Sermon in the Silt
10. Light

I'll help ya out.

1. A Beginning
2. At the End of the Earth
3. The Fire (Remains)
4. The Collapse of the Great Tide Cliffs
5. His Hands Matched His Tongue
6. Is There Anybody Here?
7. Abandon
8. Ouroboros
9. A Night on the Town
10. A Sua Voz

Lots of Act IV, yes.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3621 on: December 25, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
bump.

Check out this Fan-Made The Dear Hunter-themed short film which is a Twist on the Classic X-Mas Story .

How the Pimp Stole Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmYV_rUCBQ

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3622 on: February 23, 2019, 08:00:00 AM »
bump.

just received my Act II Graphic Novel in the mail yesterday.

I just paged through it a bit and, while it was really well done like the Act I GN, I am bit surprised to see how short it is. Like 20 or 30 pages for a 70+ minute album?

o, well, beggars...

and maybe with Casey's feelings about Act II, perhaps the follow-up GN's Act III, IV, V, etc will be bigger/longer, etc.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3623 on: February 23, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's only part of Act II. They decided to break it up into multiple issues for the rest of the Acts.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3624 on: March 12, 2019, 12:36:55 AM »
yeah you're right. There's going to be a handful of others for Act II alone.

So... $180 ..if I didn't own them all, in some cases multiple copies, I might get this.

https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/videos/345406702740845/

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/collections/the-dear-hunter/products/the-acts-box-set

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3625 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:23 AM »
That box set is suuuuper tempting. Seems a tad premature though. Isn't Casey still working on Act VI?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3626 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:26 AM »
Apparently this mean no act VI? I don't know why this would be released now if he were still planning on it.

Are the recordings any different than previous releases? Or is it just The Fox & The Hunt that's new?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3627 on: March 12, 2019, 06:58:48 AM »
I thought I remember reading that Act VI was going to be an orchestra thing?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3628 on: March 12, 2019, 07:27:05 AM »

I think that was just speculation...we "know" it won't be like the other Acts, but it could just as easily only exist in the graphic novels as it could be a piece of music.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3629 on: March 12, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
it could just as easily only exist in the graphic novels as it could be a piece of music.
I didn't even think about that. Hopefully we are still getting an Act VI album and not just a graphic novel.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3630 on: March 12, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
I am not finding the quote I recall (where he mentions "Act VI" there's an opportunity to do something [special/unique/different], "

which naturally led to speculation about a film, play, interactive website, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Act VI didn't have any "Act" and/or traditional TDH music, if any original/new music at all.

Maybe the only music will be orchestral versions of many of the tunes/themes from Acts I-V?

but here's 1 interview from around the time Act V came out

https://substreammagazine.com/2016/09/dear-hunter-casey-crescenzo-interview/

Have you had an opportunity to look beyond Act VI and consider what might be on the horizon for the Dear Hunter?
I actually do have an idea for a record that I’ve already been kicking around. Whether or not it comes around before whatever Act VI is going to be, I’m not entirely sure, but I will say that I know what album I’m going to be making next and already started kicking around some songs for it. There are future releases in the pipeline that are not very far off at all—like next year, hopefully early next year. I think I’m okay with finally stepping away from the traditional record cycle, and having the studio and the team that I trust, why would I allow the years to just roll on without doing the thing that I love doing?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:11:19 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3631 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
not that it's revealed there, but I just noticed this whole write-up about this with the "see more" link

THE DEAR HUNTER PRESENTS THE ACTS (www.thedearhunter.com)

It’s difficult to pick which detail I should divulge first, but I will begin by announcing “The Acts”, a comprehensive collection of my band, The Dear Hunter’s record series of the same name.

I’ve wanted to compile these records into a single collection since the release of Act V, but there was one missing link, which leads to the next part of the puzzle.

At the time of recording Acts IV and V, I had the privilege to work with Conductor David Möeshler and his Awesöme Orchestra. Prior to our initial recording, I was introduced to the work of the composer Brian Adam McCune, who also works with David as an orchestrator and arranger for the various collaborations and musical experiments of AÖ.

Brian and I developed an immediate musical kinship, and in discussing the forthcoming recordings, I told him the hope I had of focusing the orchestration/arrangement on a dual purpose—both as a featured element of our albums, and as an isolated listening experience.

This meant writing and arrangement elements that would not be used at the time of Act IV/V’s release—the result of which is “The Fox & the Hunt”.

At roughly 57 minutes long, “The Fox & the Hunt” holds a strong tether to its parent pieces, but is meant to be experienced on its own, and we are so excited to share it with you as part of this comprehensive collection.

While “The Fox & the Hunt” is meant to serve a dual purpose, it was vital that we made this collection feel cohesive- and I am so excited to say we have enlisted the incredible artistry of Nicky Barkla, who painted the covers of Acts IV and V.

While the visual side of this musical story has always been a top priority, Nicky’s work represents a different level of inspired creation that was vital to incorporate in the albums which predates her involvement, and so, she has created 3 new covers for Acts I-III, building upon the inspired intrigue and beauty she brought to Acts IV and V.

With that, the collection finally feels complete, and of a singular identity. I look back on these 5 albums in disbelief of the journey I have taken- and it has been due, in no small part, to the loving ear you have all lent to this music, and the endless support and belief you have shown me, and my band.

Thank you all. I hope you enjoy.

hmm.. that does kind of read like there is no Plan for an Act VI album. But then again, maybe Casey is just keeping the fans at bay by wanting to surprise them with an Act VI at some point.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3632 on: March 13, 2019, 03:25:42 AM »
I mean, the story pretty much concluded in Act V so it makes sense that Act VI would be something a bit different.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: The Dear Hunter - The Acts Boxed Set Pg. 104
« Reply #3633 on: March 15, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
Definitely excited to hear The Fox and the Hunt, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed the story isn't going to be concluded musically. He mentioned the graphic novels would continue the story at some point, I believe, but nonetheless, if it frees him to work on new musical exploration then I cannot complain.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3634 on: March 15, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Interesting video of Casey on the band's Facebook page.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3635 on: March 15, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »
yep.

So a Screenplay which would suggest a film or web series or something of that ilk.

Casey's a pretty big movie fan, so that doesn't surprise me all that much. But to get whatever Act VI and the screenplay would be for to be made, it very well may take another 15 years (hopefully not, but it sounds like to fulfill what he really wants to do with it, it may take that long).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3636 on: March 16, 2019, 07:00:19 AM »
I'll be honest and say I'm disappointed at the prospect that Act VI would be anything but a music album. I think it makes no sense at all to change media types. It'd be like Star Wars 9 only coming out as a graphic novel.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3637 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
I can understand that, but at least right now, it doesn't sound like he would want to write a new, final Act album.

His head (and heart) are wanting to make other kinds of music.

And he may not have any musical ideas for an Act album. It doesn't seem it's like Claudio with Coheed, where he would start to write albums that are prequels, side/offshoots from the story, etc.

I'm curious if he may do a few other things such as:

-an entire album that is like Indigo
-Collaborations with some people he has wanted to, but has not (working Jessy Ribordy again for example, Kimbra as well)
-Another kind of Concept project like The Color Spectrum; a series of EPs or albums that tie-in to a larger theme. Maybe inspired by film or something else he both is passionate about and draws inspiration from.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3638 on: March 23, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »
 :tup
Pretty cool Medley of various The Dear Hunter tunes from German musician Taby Pilgrim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7zhLUFdK7w

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3639 on: March 25, 2019, 07:23:11 AM »
I'll be honest and say I'm disappointed at the prospect that Act VI would be anything but a music album. I think it makes no sense at all to change media types. It'd be like Star Wars 9 only coming out as a graphic novel.
Well, not really, as the story appears to be concluded at the end of Act V whereas it's very much still going at the end of Episode VIII.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.